UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely OT, but watching the catastrophe in Haiti on CNN. They have found a 10/11 year old girl alive trapped in the rubble of a daycare. For those of you so inclined, please say a prayer with me that she can be rescued safely. And, for all others in Haiti--how horrific.

Also, I understand that UPS is shipping boxes 50 pounds or less to Haiti for free. Am rounding up my little girl's (mine too) summer clothes to take to the UPS store. Many of those people are walking around in filthy/bloody clothes since the day of the earthquake. A way to help that costs basically nothing but a box, and some time.

I thought this sounded like such a cool way to help, but when I started looking for details I came across this on a UPS blog...

UPS Donates $1 Million to Haitian Relief – Here’s How You Can Help

We’ve also noticed a surge of interest and concern online as people search for ways to help. On Twitter, some have mistakenly shared a rumor that UPS will ship for free any package under 50 lbs. to Haiti. The destruction of roads and communications networks means our own shipping services to Haiti are on hold. Rather than offer free shipping to individual donors, UPS directs its aid through relief agencies.

I thought this sounded like such a cool way to help, but when I started looking for details I came across this on a UPS blog...

UPS Donates $1 Million to Haitian Relief – Here’s How You Can Help

We’ve also noticed a surge of interest and concern online as people search for ways to help. On Twitter, some have mistakenly shared a rumor that UPS will ship for free any package under 50 lbs. to Haiti. The destruction of roads and communications networks means our own shipping services to Haiti are on hold. Rather than offer free shipping to individual donors, UPS directs its aid through relief agencies.

Maybe they have changed their policy as I heard, and read this from 3 major news agencies. I don't use twitter. My apologies to anyone who was turned away. Still we think we should help in ANY way we can. To my thought this is worse than the tsunami a few years back. ALL in once place, and so much horror.

I've found snopes to be a fast, convenient, reliable source to check rumor vs myth. Here they verify which are legitimate efforts vs rumors in Haitian relief. This is especially true on the internet where help--but also rumor and fear--can spread like wildfire! Snopes is our friend! ;)

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/haiti.asp

:parrot:

Just fwiw,..................about Josh's friend saying Josh told him there was some discontent about the amount of money Susan spent.

FYI, the recent bankruptcy was in Josh's name. Included in the bankruptcy was a loan from Susan's father. I'm not sure, I believe it was about $3,000.

IMHO, for Josh to have included the $3K owed to Susan's dad is an insult! No wonder her dad paid for her cell phone.

There is MUCH similiar in this case to the Nancy Cooper case. :(

Josh has no honor.

:mad:

JMHO
fran

OK, do you by any chance have a rough idea how many members there are in Susan's ward ? And roughly how many are in the ward in WA that Josh is currently attending ?

A congregation is called a "Ward." (Like a Catholic "parish.") Several wards make up a "Stake." (Like a Catholic "diocese.") A ward typically does not exceed 500 members. Since ward membership is geographically based, some wards' membership numbers can fluctuate, especially if there are lots of apartments and people moving in and out frequently.

If lots of wards in a stake become very large or very small, then the leadership, under the direction of the central leadership in SLC will adjust the geographical boundaries of several wards or even stakes to get the right balance of membership.

So, the short answer is usually around 400 people are in a ward, give or take, and maybe half attend regularly. Of course, this can change over time, again depending on outside influences. Hope this helps.

Just fwiw,..................about Josh's friend saying Josh told him there was some discontent about the amount of money Susan spent.

FYI, the recent bankruptcy was in Josh's name. Included in the bankruptcy was a loan from Susan's father. I'm not sure, I believe it was about $3,000.

IMHO, for Josh to have included the $3K owed to Susan's dad is an insult! No wonder her dad paid for her cell phone.

There is MUCH similiar in this case to the Nancy Cooper case. :(

Josh has no honor.

:mad:

JMHO
fran

Thanks for this tidbit. You are correct. This man has NO HONOR. If I were Susan, I would have been livid. I don't care if he claimed the loan in the bankruptcy. There would have been NO TOYS FOR JOSH such as "new generators" until that loan was paid to my father in full!

What a sniveling, spoiled, selfish sunuvabich!

No honor... and no shame.

None!

And how does JP repay his FIL? This thankless, spineless, ruthless SIL takes his money, takes his daughter far away... and then finally takes her life. He has no right to those poor children! Her boys have my constant prayers PLEASE SOMEBODY GET THEM AWAY FROM JP and SP.
:prayer:

Thanks for this tidbit. You are correct. This man has NO HONOR. If I were Susan, I would have been livid. I don't care if he claimed the loan in the bankruptcy. There would have been NO TOYS FOR JOSH such as "new generators" until that loan was paid to my father in full!

Thank you for making the link in my mind between the toys in the huge U-Haul truck and the bankruptcy. The bankruptcy is of the spirit of this man. No honor? He is a waste of skin, and that's assuming SP is found alive! :furious:

Amen, kiki my friend! Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying. That said, I imagine that if one was just starting to follow cases such as this, humor could possible seem out of place at times. Give it a few months Bartleby, you will thankful for every little chuckle you can find. Following these cases (even though we are just armchair sleuths for the most part) can become a huge stressor in life if you don't watch out. Just sayin..:innocent:

Apologies again, it was entirely my misunderstanding. I am new to Websleuthing, and closer to this case than some because Kiirsi has been my friend for many years and I am upset for her and the loss of her best friend.

IMO the only thing putting miles--physical distance--between Susan and their respective parents accomplished was to eliminate w/e flimsy semblance of security or real protection Susan might have once felt while living nearer her own family. Those miles certainly didn't prevent SP from continuing to exert his control, mind games, and/or psychological influence over JP. That was the problem IMO. Susan may have only agreed in hopes that by moving away she might finally rid their marriage of an interfering meddlesome FIL but in reality Susan lost a father and any family closeby enough to whom she might have turned or fled... while Joshy still went on listening to daddy...... JMO :rolleyes:

So, true, kiki, these are all classic signs of DV. These lists of signs of abuse are available online or at the library. On just one help site I quickly checked now, I mentally checked off every sign on the list regarding Susan's reported situation. :(

OKand3JS
You have done a good service to help us understand. Thank You so much, OKand3JS.
Of course, we all want to know more, and realize how gracefully you have handled your awkward position in this case. I respect what you have done, and the way you have carried it out.

Thank you. I appreciate it. Thank you to all of you. I am just trying to help you all out in any way I can so we can all sleuthe and try to discover the truth. I just want to do my part and contribute positively in any way I can. If I can answer a question without it causing any damage, I will do my best to do so.

This is a tough position to be in. I want to help you guys out by sharing some things, but not all can be shared without the possibility of it hurting the investigation. I appreciate your understanding and patience with me.

Hi all, been lurking on this case a few days now.

Despite my fears to the contrary, I really hope that Susan is alive so:
1. she (and the Cox family) get to raise those boys;
2. she can testify against Josh and his dad and get them long prison sentences;
3. we can all rejoice because justice has been done!

I do realise I'm probably wrong, and it all will end in a completely different way, but I can't help but hope.... Susan deserved so much more than that she ended up with, and devoted to much time to. I wish she'd realised he was a hopeless case (and got away) before this all happened. :(

But when Mr Cox first flew down to Utah he brought a friend, retired LE with him, so you are right, Karen!

I remember the friend, and I wonder if anyone else remembers talk of a PI? Was this man PI? Just wonderin, thanks.

IMO the only thing putting miles--physical distance--between Susan and their respective parents accomplished was to eliminate w/e flimsy semblance of security or real protection Susan might have once felt while living nearer her own family. Those miles certainly didn't prevent SP from continuing to exert his control, mind games, and/or psychological influence over JP. That was the problem IMO. Susan may have only agreed in hopes that by moving away she might finally rid their marriage of an interfering meddlesome FIL but in reality Susan lost a father and any family closeby enough to whom she might have turned or fled... while Joshy still went on listening to daddy...... JMO :rolleyes:

OTOH, Susan moved closer to the powerful support of the church group and depended on that to a degree many outsiders can never understand. She learned great career skills and developed strong friendships. She made a good trade, if you consider that bad things can happen anywhere.

In my experience, the church is similar wherever you move, but family isn't.

OTOH, Susan moved closer to the powerful support of the church group and depended on that to a degree many outsiders can never understand. She learned great career skills and developed strong friendships. She made a good trade, if you consider that bad things can happen anywhere.

I will, respectfully, disagree grayjay. Why would Susan ever wish to move away from family, and all that she had known unless there was a reason. Have NO reason to think that it was to be closer to the HEAD of LDS. Why would you say that? The church did not help her get a job at Wells Fargo--SHE did.

If the church helped Susan get a job, then could have done same for Josh. Church did not help Susan. SUSAN helped Susan by going to school as her loser husband wasn't paying the bills. Someone had to.
Makes NO sense at all!

grayjay---you seem very close to this case. Who are you?

But when Mr Cox first flew down to Utah he brought a friend, retired LE with him, so you are right, Karen!

Susan Powell's phone was found at home, along with her purse and keys, after her disappearance, said Michael Gifford, who is married to Shelby and accompanied Susan Powell's father, Charles Cox, to Utah to help with the investigation.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_14019426

Is Michael Gifford retired LE? I just ran across this article and thought I'd ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member