GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an Olaf H?

If so, I have not heard of him thus far. Very puzzling.

Neither have I, what did he do this Olaf H ?

Oh yes I see now the post above I did read that before but forgot the name. Unbelievable that is, poor child.

Thank you for that. Failing to surrender and interfering with the course of justice ... hmmm ... This is from the bail information:

"If their investigation is continuing, the police can bail you without charge to return to the police station at a fixed time and date. Failure to do so could be a separate offence."

Is there any possibility that he was bailed before and it didn't make the news, and that he was required to surrender at a certain time and date and didn't appear?
BBM

Hmmm, I wonder?.

ETA I did search the term failing to surrender earlier but could only find references to bail and couldn't make it out because I didn't think that he was on bail?.

A lot of info at the below link.

10. Failure to surrender to a police station results in police time being wasted and the course of justice being impeded; potentially, it can also result in victims and witnesses being distressed and concerned about their safety and the ability of the system to protect the public and deliver justice. However, the circumstances in which such bail is granted are less formal than the grant of court bail and the history of the individual case should be examined. There may be less culpability where bail has been enlarged on a number of occasions and less harm if court proceedings are not significantly delayed.

http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/docs/web_Fail_to_Surrender_to_Bail.pdf

Is there any possibility that he was bailed before and it didn't make the news, and that he was required to surrender at a certain time and date and didn't appear?

I did search the term failing to surrender earlier but could only find references to bail and couldn't make it out because I didn't think that he was on bail?.

No, I think people are missing the point here. One of the reasons given by the prosecution for opposing bail was that they thought he might fail to surrender, not that he had already done so before. In other words, they don't trust him not to do a runner.

No, I think people are missing the point here. One of the reasons given by the prosecution for opposing bail was that they thought he might fail to surrender, not that he had already done so before. In other words, they don't trust him not to do a runner.

This is what made me wonder:

"Once charged, the police must release you on bail unless the custody officer reasonably believes that:

There is doubt about your name or address; or
Detention is necessary to protect you or somebody else; or
You will fail to attend court or will interfere with witnesses or the administration of justice.

Like the courts, the police are now able to attach conditions to your bail, such as living at a fixed address, reporting to a local police station, obeying a curfew, avoiding named people or places, or providing a financial guarantee for your attendance at court.

If you fail to attend court without reasonable excuse when on bail, you commit a separate offence under the Bail Act 1976. If you break any of the conditions of your bail, you can be arrested and brought in custody to the next sitting of the local Magistrates' Court, who may then take away your bail."

Ref: http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/the-rights-of-defendants/bail.html

Since he must be granted bail unless one of the conditions apply, then one of the problems could be related to " Failing to surrender"; perhaps also meaning that "failing to attend court" could be a concern.

that reticence would go with his personality, surely...

careful,considered,intelligent,cerebral,introvert...in parts...shock would make you withdraw, particularly if no glasses,clothes etc.

he's an intelligent man...could look forward...and visualise the horror of his future, whatever the verdict at the end of his trial...

probably has withdrawn into himself as a means of protection.....if he is not guilty...and probably also if he is...

I was commenting on the last sentence in that post - about the LL making no noise :)

I was commenting on the last sentence in that post - about the LL making no noise :)

perhaps still being on bail prevents him from making a statement...

it was interesting that "a friend" told the world of cj's intention to seek compensation against the media for obtrusive/inaccurate reporting...

also to sue the police...

either that or he is lying low, seeing as he is not yet exonerated of any misdoings/suspicion about the case..

he must, surely, be concerned by the fact that he is still on bail....

he would want to do nothing else to prevent his name being cleared....

Tabak Family Summit

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3382641/Vincent-Tabaks-family-summit.html

Not sure if this was in Marcel's video ... but Vincent called a family summit [minus the children] when he was visiting at Christmas to tell them he was "under suspicion.

So his family could not have been completely surprised when he was arrested.

at christmas? Now if a neighbor was murdered and I were completely innocent, the last thing I would think is that I was under suspicion. obviously i would be questioned like everyone else but that would not make me "call a family summit" to tell them I am under suspicion. This to me is a huge red flag, he was setting them up to believe his story if caught.

imo

Isn't it just the usual lurid tabloid style, though? Try stripping away the dramatic and emotive language. Of course he would want to tell his family that his next-door neighbour had been murdered, and about all the brouhaha that goes with that, interviews, searches etc. Wouldn't you? And quite understandable that they wouldn't want to discuss it in front of children.

Isn't it just the usual lurid tabloid style, though? Try stripping away the dramatic and emotive language. Of course he would want to tell his family that his next-door neighbour had been murdered, and about all the brouhaha that goes with that, interviews, searches etc. Wouldn't you? And quite understandable that they wouldn't want to discuss it in front of children.

I don't think SilkySifaka was talking about the lurid style.

I think the point was, sure you're going to tell the family about the front page headline story unfolding in and around your home ... but why would you include you were "under suspicion"!

An innocent person would not have drawn that inference. After all, they have nothing to fear ... they are completely innocent.

I don't think SilkySifaka was talking about the lurid style.

I think the point was, sure you're going to tell the family about the front page headline story unfolding in and around your home ... but why would you include you were "under suspicion"!

An innocent person would not have drawn that inference. After all, they have nothing to fear ... they are completely innocent.

But that's exactly my point. It's all media paraphrasing. How do we know what he said, exactly? For one thing, he would have been speaking in Dutch; for another, we have no idea how the subject was approached. An innocent person may well have made light of it: "I'm a suspect, you know!" Even the brother's words are now coming with the benefit of hindsight.

That's certainly my take on it too ... a much exaggerated perspective on the fact that VT wanted to tell his family, out of the presence of the children, about what was going on at home.

If I was innocent I would discuss it casually as a matter of passing with my family but to call a family summit, as if he was preparing them for what he knew was to come. It seems he knew he was under suspicion and he knew why.

The fact that he is now charged with murder adds more weight to that.

"Once charged, the police must release you on bail unless the custody officer reasonably believes that:

You will fail to attend court or will interfere with witnesses or the administration of justice.Like the courts, the police are now able to attach conditions to your bail, such as living at a fixed address, reporting to a local police station, obeying a curfew, avoiding named people or places, or providing a financial guarantee for your attendance at court.

If you fail to attend court without reasonable excuse when on bail, you commit a separate offence under the Bail Act 1976. If you break any of the conditions of your bail, you can be arrested and brought in custody to the next sitting of the local Magistrates' Court, who may then take away your bail."

Since he must be granted bail unless one of the conditions apply, then one of the problems could be related to " Failing to surrender"; perhaps also meaning that "failing to attend court" could be a concern.

IMO it could mean he could flee the country and the police would have to secure an European arrest warrant (if they can find him) which might be disputed and take ages to sort out. Also that he could try to intimidate witnesses or find a person to give him an alibi. The fact it was reported he was on suicide watch could also mean he knows the gravity of the position he's in. JMO

Edited to add.. VT will know by now who the sobbing woman was and that person might have expressed a need for protection.

You will fail to attend court or will interfere with witnesses or the administration of justice.

Like the courts, the police are now able to attach conditions to your bail, such as living at a fixed address, reporting to a local police station, obeying a curfew, avoiding named people or places, or providing a financial guarantee for your attendance at court.

Perhaps there is the concern that VT might fancy a trip to Holland ;), there are plenty of way's to get from England to Holland other than flying.
Then there is whole formal process of getting VT back to England.

I do find it strange that bail was not even asked for, bail would have been denied anyway JMO.

How many accused murderer's are regularly released on bail?

Interesting, I didn't know you could put up surety in the UK, if only because it leads to different treatment as in the 2nd link; one person is back at home with his family, the other person is stuck on remand.

I think the prosecution in this case mentioned the risk of interfering with witnesses, or words to that effect, when they explained why they would oppose bail for VT if it had been applied for.

How many accused murderer's are regularly released on bail?

At least one person that was arrested in connection with this murder was released on bail, and I get the impression that bail; sometimes with conditions, is a right ... since there is only suspicion, but the rights of the accused are that he or she is innocent pending trial.

how much do we know about what happened in aberdeen road very early in the morning of the arrest...
it was reported that vt was clearing his windscreen of frost at 2am...

presumably, that speeded up his arrest and charge...

it may account for fact that no bail applied for....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie