The DOE sends a SWAT team to a mans home to collect his ex-wifes student loan

I've been hearing & reading that student loans will be the next financial bubble. The cost of a college education has risen exorbitantly in recent years. The average salary....not so much. And a large percentage of recent grads have been unable to find positions in their field (or anywhere at all).

Neither government nor private college loans are dischargeable in bankruptcy proceedings, so some folks will find themselves saddled with college debt for the remainder of their lives.

The U.S. Department of Education did that!?!??!?! He's owed way more than an apology I think! Thats crazy! Even if she owes money thats a waste of money, time and resources sending out a swat team wtf? He seems to be handling it way better than I would be...

Here is an updated article.
http://www.news10.net/news/article/141108/2/Questions-surround-feds-raid-of-Stockton-home

A U.S. government official confirmed for News10 Wednesday morning federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), not local S.W.A.T., served the search warrant. The official would not say specifically why the raid took place. He did say the search was not related to student loans in default.
He went on to say OIG is a semi-independent branch of the U.S. Department of Education that executes warrants for criminal offenses such as student aid fraud and embezzlement of federal aid.

So is it necessary to execute a no knock warrant in the middle of the night for student aid fraud? I also wonder if her loans were so far in default that they are now calling it fraud because they will say that she never had any intention of paying them.

The U.S. Department of Education did that!?!??!?! He's owed way more than an apology I think! Thats crazy! Even if she owes money thats a waste of money, time and resources sending out a swat team wtf? He seems to be handling it way better than I would be...

I think he should sue them and I would love to see it on TV.
WHO THE "F" do they think they are?
A- He had no loan himself
B- He had his kids there
I would love to punch their lights out, and I am not a fighter.

holy batman
don't mess with the U.S. Dep't of Education

you'd think they'd do surveillance first to make sure she was still living there ...

Here is an updated article.
http://www.news10.net/news/article/141108/2/Questions-surround-feds-raid-of-Stockton-home

So is it necessary to execute a no knock warrant in the middle of the night for student aid fraud? I also wonder if her loans were so far in default that they are now calling it fraud because they will say that she never had any intention of paying them.

What if a person is living from hand to mouth...Just saying...
What if when they took out the loan they had a better economical life style? and then life changed for them... WHAT IF??? Just asking...
I would assume that an investigation would be appropriate to determine how a person can pay back; you do not just go and freak the kids out.
I wonder if those kids who saw their Dad arrested, would ever take a school loan or go to college? As a kid that can traumatize you.

Taking a school loan - can get you roughed up.
However, CEO's in Banks who ruined us all can get bonuses
And we are not in a dictatorship ???

My eyes are not wide shut.....THSI IS NOT AMERICA....not as we knew it.

Breaking down the door in the middle of the night with 3 kids present, and there are no charges? What's the problem the DOE has with a daylight knock on the door? The DOE deems this house to be so unsafe as to use a SWAT team? I hope the guy sues and gets enough money to pay for his kids' education.

Indeed, this isn't the America I know either.

It always frightens me when I hear of LE barging into the wrong home and assaulting the innocent occupants. I am armed, and if someone kicked in my door, I would shoot them -- at which point, I would then die in a barrage of police gunfire. These fraud investigators should be much more careful (me, too, I guess!)

On the other hand, the article clearly states that the woman they were looking for was not being sought for non-payment of student loans. It could very well be that they barged into the home to keep her from destroying evidence of fraud, embezzlement, bribery. Unless it's your taxes you're not paying, I really don't think you can be arrested for owing money.
Hamilton said the search was not related to student loans in default as reported in the local media.
OIG is a semi-independent branch of the education department that executes warrants for criminal offenses such as student aid fraud, embezzlement of federal aid and bribery, according to Hamilton. The agency serves 30 to 35 search warrants a year. http://www.news10.net/news/article/141108/2/Questions-surround-feds-raid-of-Stockton-home

It always frightens me when I hear of LE barging into the wrong home and assaulting the innocent occupants. I am armed, and if someone kicked in my door, I would shoot them -- at which point, I would then die in a barrage of police gunfire. These fraud investigators should be much more careful (me, too, I guess!)

I read a lot of articles like that too and have thought the exact same thing.

I sell valuables on Ebay, which I feel puts me at an elevated risk of a home invasion. Since I'm a law abiding citizen, if a bunch of guys with assault rifles were to barge into my home in the middle of the night, I would naturally think it was a home invasion by criminals instead of police state agents and would open up on them with buckshot from my trusty pistol grip Mossberg 500 and would die defending my home. :rocker:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back