After 39,000 years, mammoth still woolly

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Ah! So cute! So small! I want one!

The eventual plan is to plant an implanted egg into a live elephant for a 22-month pregnancy.

Earlier this year a group of scientists from around the world met for TEDx conference in Washington, sponsored by National Geographic.

The group were discussing the possibility of bringing 24 animals back from extinction, also known as 'de-extinction'.

De-extinction....hmmm. Not to sure what to think. Be neat to see a woolly mammoth and yet...is it possible we'd unleash Pandora's box messing with natural selection? Hoping we don't find an ancient virus transferable from mammoth to man.

A few years from now a company will be marketing a 'Grow Your Own Woolly Mammoth at Home' kit. It will be a great Christmas/Hanukkah gift for a gradeschooler. :)

Amazingly preserved woolly mammoth found frozen in Siberia after 39,000 YEARS goes on display in Tokyo. (Daily Mail)

• Female woolly mammoth was found frozen in a Siberian ice tomb in May
• The creature will be on display in Tokyo until September
• Scientists think she got stuck in a swamp and died over 39,000 years ago
• Blood sample found at the scene could be used to clone the beast

The story, with pictures, at the link.

She doesn't look a day over 35,000! :)

The pics of her show her as being relatively small, like a baby one. But she is supposed to be 50-60 years old. I thought Mammoth's were huge?

The pics of her show her as being relatively small, like a baby one. But she is supposed to be 50-60 years old. I thought Mammoth's were huge?

It's a bonsai mammoth

Doncha know you're not supposed to wash wool? It shrinks.

Poor little thing got herself into a predicament and now 39,000 years later, here we are.

Poor little thing got herself into a predicament and now 39,000 years later, here we are.

And people ask me why I wear make up every time I leave my house, even to get the mail. I don't need anyone digging me up 39,000 years from now looking at me at some exhibit... And I have no make-up on!

DH: if that mammoth is still woolly after 39,000 years, how come I'm going bald at 39?

The eventual plan is to plant an implanted egg into a live elephant for a 22-month pregnancy.

Earlier this year a group of scientists from around the world met for TEDx conference in Washington, sponsored by National Geographic.

The group were discussing the possibility of bringing 24 animals back from extinction, also known as 'de-extinction'.

De-extinction....hmmm. Not to sure what to think. Be neat to see a woolly mammoth and yet...is it possible we'd unleash Pandora's box messing with natural selection? Hoping we don't find an ancient virus transferable from mammoth to man.

I thought about your post overnight. I too am leery that science will overreach its ability to control unintended consequences. (We have plenty of examples from history.)

But natural selection isn't a force per se, it's just Darwin's way of describing the cause-and-effect relationship of environment and heredity.

In theory, a cloned mammoth would be more at risk than humans would be. In theory, we may well still have whatever genetic immunities our ancestors developed when they were hunting and eating such creatures. (Or at least a percentage of us would have.)

The mammoth, on the other hand, would have no acquired immunity to any virus that has emerged since the mammoth died. (The exception to this is whatever immunity the fetus might acquire from the elephant in which it is implanted. IIRC, there is considerable evidence that mammals acquire some immunities while in utero and by nursing after birth.)

I'm not a scientist, but I suspect it's more likely they'll have trouble keeping the clone alive than that the clone will trigger a pandemic. OTOH, I just rewatched Jurassic Park on cable the other night...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back