Panhandle crew lands 1,063-pound mako shark

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
DESTIN, Fla. (AP) -- A 1,063-pound mako shark hooked close to shore in the Gulf of Mexico is being investigated as a possible world fishing record.
The Sea Ya Later II was cobia fishing when its crew spotted the 12-foot 6-inch shark Wednesday afternoon between Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach. The Mother Lode, a 45-foot charter boat, helped bring in the shark.
They used flying gaffs to secure the fish and then tied the gaffs to the Sea Ya Later II, which was tilting.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FL_MAKO_SHARK_FLOL-?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Geeesh ya think they would have included a pciture!

I'm here in Pensacola and this is a bit scary...The article didn't say (and I haven't heard) just exactly how far out these boats were when they were hooking this sucker!! I see boats Cobia fishing pretty darn close to the beach...:eek:

I'm here in Pensacola and this is a bit scary...The article didn't say (and I haven't heard) just exactly how far out these boats were when they were hooking this sucker!! I see boats Cobia fishing pretty darn close to the beach...:eek:

I would bet it was between 180 to 250 feet of the beach considering that is the normal range for cobia. Dangerous waters, I dont swim in the ocean anymore due to the sharks and other animals out there.

I would bet it was between 180 to 250 feet of the beach considering that is the normal range for cobia. Dangerous waters, I dont swim in the ocean anymore due to the sharks and other animals out there.
Autumn~ I don't swim out in the gulf anymore either...
A few years ago a little boy was bit by a shark about 15ft off of the beach @ Ft Pickens.
For me, 1 shark bite victim is 1 too many!!

That is one huge shark. There is no way I could have reeled him. I did good to get the sailfish I did last summer and it was around 6 feet long.

Autumn~ I don't swim out in the gulf anymore either...
A few years ago a little boy was bit by a shark about 15ft off of the beach @ Ft Pickens.
For me, 1 shark bite victim is 1 too many!!
I used to live in Pensacola. The waters, especially around the pier, were infested with shark. Shark bites normally occur close to shore. The shark are chasing fish. The fish come as close to shore as they can trying to get away from the shark. The thinking is that shark can only go so far. However, sharks seem like they are willing to beach themselves to get a meal!

Because people swim close to shore and the fish come in when followed by a shark, there is a good possibility that someone is going to get bit in the process.

I can remember seeing a school of fish jumping out of the water close to shore when I lived in Hawaii. Then, there was a shark right behind them.

If you ever see a school of fish close to shore jumping out of the water, run for the shore. I can assure you that a shark is after them!!

I remember at the age of 12 over 20 years ago I swam out so far way beyond my dad and sister who were close to shore. Fell off my raft and swallowed a bunch of salt water. Thankfully I was ok and just tossed around but I felt something run into my body hard and it knocked me out of the way, whatever it was it was big and I had a bruise on my stomach for a few days. It scared me badly. My dad who was close to shore was stung by a jellyfish. You couldnt get me in the water now. Im even fearful of cruise ships since they could go down and you would be in the water. I live in michigan so Im not near any oceans but Im even fearful of the great lakes. They have found piranhas in them over the last few years. Stupid people dumping pets but amazingly they could handle the cold water. I have no desire to go into the ocean again.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morbidlittlemind
Back