GUILTY NJ - Xavier Gentleman, 2, beaten to death in Linden foster home, 25 Feb 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
By Eliot Caroom/For the Star-Ledger
March 09, 2010, 9:00PM

LINDEN — A Linden woman who was charged with murder today in the death of a 2-year-old boy in her care has been investigated by child welfare officials five times in the past decade, most recently in September.

The state’s involvement in the life of Diana Matthews, 31, came to light after her arrest this afternoon on a charge of first-degree murder. Matthews is accused of killing Xavier Gentleman, who was rushed to an Elizabeth hospital with unspecified injuries Feb. 25. He was pronounced dead a short time later.

Union County Prosecutor Theodore J. Romankow would not release a cause of death for the boy, saying only that Matthews’ statements to police did not square with the medical evidence.

"Crimes against children are especially heinous," Romankow said in a statement. "Xavier was clearly the victim of abuse, and no child should have to suffer like that."

Matthews, a friend of Xavier’s biological mother, was the child’s legal guardian and had raised him since he was a baby. Matthews also cared for two of Xavier’s siblings and three of her own children, the prosecutor said. All five children — ranging in age from 1 month to 12 years — have since been placed in foster care.
A caseworker last had face-to-face contact with Xavier on Jan. 9 of this year, according to a two-page case history released by DCF this afternoon. The report does not elaborate on the contact, and Kidd could not immediately say whether the caseworker was there to see Xavier or another child in the house.

The state Division of Youth and Family Services, part of DCF, most recently investigated Matthews in September on a report of suspected abuse. While Xavier was in Matthews’ care at the time, the case history does not specify if he was the alleged victim. Kidd said last night the allegation was not in reference to a particular child in the house.

The abuse charge was deemed unfounded, and the case was closed Nov. 17.

"Record indicates no bruises observed," the history states.

DYFS investigated Matthews four other times — in 2000, 2003, 2004 and 2006 — after receiving allegations of neglect, abuse or drug use. The neglect and abuse claims were deemed unfounded. The case history does not specify whether drug use was confirmed, but the report does note that services and supervision were provided.

more here

http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/2010/03/linden_woman_charged_with_murd.html

You're safe in the arms of angels now, little Xavier :rose:

Another little one who never had a chance. :(

Good morning. Allow me to introduce myself. I've sat back and really read the comments. Thank you for all your condolences over the years me and my family miss Xavier everyday. He would have been 12 and even at Xmas he still gets gifts from Santa . Not a day goes by we don't wish to hear Pop-Pop laugh . Well that's all for now .
Xavier's mommy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back