CANADA Canada - Cedrika Provencher, 9, Trois-Rivieres, QC, 31 July 2007

In an effort to rule out any possible suspects, LE have checked all registered owners of 2004 Red Acura. All were cleared except one man who resides in Trois Rivieres.

When police located the owner and questioned him about his vehicle, he told them it was stored. It was cleaned and put away in storage. They examined the vehicle but found nothing. The individual refused to take a polygraph.

The individual has lawyered up. He told the reporter that he has been cooperative with LE and quote (translated to English)

"I'm not interested in it, he quickly concluded. For me, this is ancient history. It has affected my life for three years, I prefer to turn the page and move on to another story. "

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2012/03/09/sur-la-piste-de-lacura-rouge

Being from Quebec this is another unexplained mystery :(

No clues, nothing!

They should do an age progression photo/sketch of Cedrika. Girls go through a lot of changes in the preteens. She would be 14 years old now.

Still hoping and praying for you Cedrika. You are not forgotten. :rose:

The other girl that was approached by the possible suspect with the same MO as Cedrika's kidnapper offered to give a description so police can make a sketch but they refused saying 3 were already done and none correspond.

The girl's description of the suspect:

Man in his 50's

5'9", 170 lbs

Greying hair

French speaking

http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/societe/archives/2012/03/20120330-113200.html

I just typed up a long post in response to this but there was an error and it didn't go through. I'll try to remember the things I've said in my last post but if there are any gaps in my reasoning it's because I'm not going through the same chain of thoughts all over again.

I wonder if it's possible that there are indeed two men with different ages and descriptions, maybe acting together.

I found a blog post in one of those blogs where people compile information on missing persons cases, I don't know if it's ok to post here but if not maybe someone can try to dig up MSM sources to confirm or deny this. That post reported that one of the witnesses who saw one of these men was another young girl, he approached her and offered her money to look for his dog and when she said no he offered more money, he was insisting but fortunately the girl's father arrived at that moment and he went away. I wonder if this is accurate information and if so, which of the men this was and how the girl's father described him. I'm new to this case but I've reading the posts in this thread and it sounds like one of the problems in producing a portrait is that many key features were missing from the girls' descriptions because they couldn't remember them well. I assume it would be easier for the average adult to do so more accurately especially since a man harassing his daughter would have been noticeable.

I also found this article, sorry if it's been posted: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=3785e8db-699b-4d9b-a0f2-18b725c235c0. It says two women saw Cedrika riding her bike around the neighborhood twice between 6 and 8 PM and that she stopped to ask them if they'd seen a little black dog. It also says that when Cedrika's bike was found some people said they'd seen a group of youths but not Cedrika had left it where it was found. I also found this on a website to find her, it makes some very good points and maybe someone with more time and focus than I have right now can translate it: http://www.trouvercedrika.com/avis.html. It points out that there were no signs of a struggle and that for her to have vanished into thin air it seems likely that the perp had been watching her for some time.

Bear with me here please, I'm just trying to process this.

I wonder WHY the perp just allowed her to search for the dog for a couple of hours instead of immediately luring away. It makes me think they had some kind of plan, if there was more than one then maybe one could have spoken to her and left so nobody could find him again and he wouldn't be hanging around the neighborhood, then the second one shows up and kidnaps her.

The fact that several girls were asked to help with the (fake) dog search, I think it could be a sign that more than one person was involved. It seems like a lot of trouble to monitor more than one child from a distance and figure out their routines. I think their goal all along was to take one kid so they kept trying. I suspect they were watching the girls and knew their routines because in addition to what that site above pointed out, that is the perp(s) having everything so carefully planned they leave no obvious traces, there is also the fact that they allowed Cedrika to ride around the neighborhood. IMO it seems likely they knew her curfew (some articles said 8:15 IIRC) so they let her be seen until close to that time to further confuse people.

Another thing to consider is, if the person or people who did it were watching the girls then one person alone would need much more time to figure out their habits.

It could also be someone working alone who was very good at lying and blending in. Someone who wasn't afraid of being suspected because they could come up with a good excuse if anyone confronted them about talking to young girls they don't know.

I wonder what that community is like. Are there frequent outsiders visiting for whatever reason? Any inns, hotels, rest stops close by? Would it be easy for an outsider to get noticed? For instance, in some places where I've lived everyone knows everyone or almost so just being new makes you stand out, others you have to be very different-looking to get noticed. I'm asking because I think it's possible that if this was done by outsiders, they were very careful to make sure they could blend in and not attract notice.

Maybe it could have been someone who was visiting friends or relatives, or heard about the community from a visitor or long-distance friend. I know when I'm travelling to visit relatives I'll tell my friends about my vacation and what life is like where I am. Maybe someone decided to take advantage of that knowledge. That is, if it's impossible for it to have been someone from that community or nearby.

I'd also look into whether anyone in the area had a little black dog then or even a few years before Cedrika was kidnapped. Not saying it was that person if there is someone who did, but someone who knew about them. For example, someone could have a dog like that, then one of their acquaintances or even someone who watched them for a while decided to use a dog as 'cover', so that if anyone approached the perp he could pretend to be a friend or relative of that person.

I wonder about the bike too, that article I linked to mentions Cedrika's bike was found and some witnesses said a group of youths (but not her) left it there. I wonder why? Were they neighborhood kids who saw a bike and decided to take it for themselves or help by putting it somewhere where the owner could find it? Why can't they figure out who these youths were so they can be asked where they found the bike? Maybe there could have been a sign of struggle, i.e. the bike left behind, but it wasn't taken as such because of it being found elsewhere. Maybe these youths had something to do with it? Someone could have paid them off to dispose of a bike, no questions asked.

This is all my two cents, obviously.

I wonder about the bike too, that article I linked to mentions Cedrika's bike was found and some witnesses said a group of youths (but not her) left it there. I wonder why? Were they neighborhood kids who saw a bike and decided to take it for themselves or help by putting it somewhere where the owner could find it? Why can't they figure out who these youths were so they can be asked where they found the bike? Maybe there could have been a sign of struggle, i.e. the bike left behind, but it wasn't taken as such because of it being found elsewhere. Maybe these youths had something to do with it? Someone could have paid them off to dispose of a bike, no questions asked.

This is all my two cents, obviously.

BBM. Excellent question! If they thought they were putting it somewhere where the owner could find it, what made them think it wasn't the owner who'd left it there (in which case she wouldn't have any trouble finding it again)?
Is it normal for that community to help yourself to a bike if you see it abandoned, or was there anything that suggested Cedrika's bike was abandoned and would not be claimed - e.g. its location, state, etc.?

BBM. Excellent question! If they thought they were putting it somewhere where the owner could find it, what made them think it wasn't the owner who'd left it there (in which case she wouldn't have any trouble finding it again)?
Is it normal for that community to help yourself to a bike if you see it abandoned, or was there anything that suggested Cedrika's bike was abandoned and would not be claimed - e.g. its location, state, etc.?

BBM. That's a really good point. I have found some information I think might be relevant, from here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...rl-likely-snatched-by-man-police-say-1.650367

Cédrika Provencher was last seen Tuesday evening as she rode her bike on her street in the city of Trois-Rivières, between Montreal and Quebec City.

(...)

The girl was last seen Tuesday at about 8 p.m. ET. She was wearing a green skirt, flip flops and a red bike helmet.

Three teens found her bicycle on the street Tuesday night, about a half hour after she was last seen.

The teens stashed the bike behind a garbage bin, where police found it on Wednesday, Letarte said.

From what I think is the official website of the search: http://officialwebsite.cedrika.com/crbst_0.html

Later on, she is seen riding her bike in the parc, on Chapais street and on Des Cheneaux street...
Around 8:30pm, her bike is found on the corner of Chabanel and Chapais streets, leaning against a fire hydrant... Cédrika has not been seen since...

Interestingly, that website also says that between asking people if they'd seen the dog and riding her bike in the park, that she was seen walking out of a wooded area with a man following closely behind her.

I've also found sources like this one that mention that the dumpster where the kids put her bike was more than 1 km away.

This brings up so many questions for me.

a) Is the information on that site updated? Because I haven't seen the part about her being seen with a man following her anywhere else. Then again a lot of information about the case seems to be contradictory, for example the Toronto Star has an older article in which they say the person who was spotted was a woman and that the teenagers took the bike from Cedrika's house.

b) If someone saw her and then that man, did that person notice his age? If they were close enough to recognize Cedrika then it follows they'd be able to notice how old the man looked.

c) Why did they take the bike so far? I can think of a number of possible answers, like not wanting the neighbors to recognize a bike they'd found abandoned and taken without asking or having a friend elsewhere but I'm very curious. Also why specifically a dumpster, it sounds weird to hide anything behind a dumpster - unless they knew they were going back before the trash truck made the rounds.

After reading more about the case, it's very strange to me that so few people saw anything unusual (the weird man/men trying to talk to kids)... most descriptions of the neighborhood mention how tight-knit it was, it sounds like an area where I lived for a while and anyone who wasn't from those parts would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Especially someone who was seen at least once talking to a child in a suspicious manner.

:twocents:

They are making a documentary about her case, link is in French but they are saying that when making another documentary (Novembre 1984) about Montreal missing children in the 80-90's, they came upon a suspect who resided in Trois-Riviere around the time Cedrika disappeared. Apparently this suspect moved often and whenever he was living somewhere, a kid would disappear.

This suspect was previously incarcerated at Pinel (a psychiatric hospital) for killing a 12 year old boy when he was himself a minor. The documentary will talk about this info, the producer did not hide his intention to tighten the noose around this man.

It's scheduled to be released in theatres by the end of 2016.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/ar...ion-de-cedrika-provencher-portee-a-lecran.php

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/28/quebec-police-believe-serial-killer-behind-7-cold-cases

"September 28, 2013

MONTREAL - Police have recently converged seven cold cases involving murdered or disappeared children in the hopes of catching what they believe is one serial killer, QMI Agency has learned.

The heinous crimes were committed around the greater Montreal area between 1981 and 1992 and involve children between the ages of 4 and 12.

Sources say that police are considering the unsolved six murders and one disappearance as part of a recently opened single investigation".

Thread for "Quebec police believe SK responsible for child killings, 1980's-90's"

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...e-serial-killer-behind-7-cold-cases&p=9867551

http://www.lifeinquebec.com/a-documentary-for-cedrika-provencher-10560/
The case has pretty much become a cold-case for the authorities so a local film producer and director have decided to make a documentary film about the case. Director Stéphane Parent, and producer Ugo Fredette hope to rekindle the story and at the same time maybe provoke some new clues or evidence that could lead to an arrest or to finding the lost girl. Cédrika’s father, Martin is participating in the making of the film.
The duo had already made a similar movie called November 1984, about a murder suspect and his victims, of which there were seven, including one of which has never been found. The new movie suggests that the same person may be the culprit in the abduction of Cédrika, since he had apparently moved to Trois-Rivières just before her disappearance.
The production team is hoping the movie will encourage some people to come forward with information who may not have done so in the past. The well known lawyer Marc Bellemare, who is also involved in the making of the movie suggests, that quite often people don’t come forward in celebrated cases for fear of being called upon as witnesses having to appear in court.
The movie will be ready for showing near the end of 2016, more than 8 years after the event.
Information regarding the abduction of Cédrika can be found at this website, http://mcsc.ca/cases/cedrika-provencher.

8 long years, one short thread of only 5 pages...

:gaah:

:justice: for Cedrika!

:candle:

CTV Montreal ‏@CTVMontreal [video=twitter;675890890276274176]https://twitter.com/CTVMontreal/status/675890890276274176[/video]
BREAKING: The SQ has announced human remains found in St. Maurice, Que. Friday belong to Cedrika Provencher, missing since 2007

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back