OR - Boy dies at sitter's, second fatality at house

I am a pediatric trauma nurse and handle bar injuries are unfortunately common causes of liver lacerations, splenic lacerations and intestinal perforation. There are varying degrees of each and it all depends on the angle of which the accident occurred. Liver lacerations can be very horrible. The liver hemorrhages I have seen can be devastating. It is amazing even more kids don't end up with handle bar induced abdominal trauma.

Thank you for this post. It is always good to hear from the professionals that deal with these types of things. For me, looking at the picture of the little plastic bike - I have a very hard time seeing how it could cause such injuries - so I really appreciate knowing not only that such a bike can cause injuries, but that it is not uncommon.

Salem

Just a hint folks - rude off the bat doesn't work here. And we can read regular sized type just fine.

Thanks for moving the thread, . I agree that it belonged there in the first place. :innocent:

Locals,

Please contact Tricia to be interviewed. This is the way that WS uses in order to post local information. She will give you instructions on what can be posted because we try to keep away from starting rumors here when we can.

Here is her email: tgrif@xmission.com

Be sure to let her know which case you have information on and a link to this thread will help speed the process.

Thanks so much and THANK YOU FOR JOINING WEBSLEUTHS!

I was wondering about that too...thanks for the policy....I might have to crib your email and use it when necessary. I wasn't sure what the official WS stance was regarding that.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/cityregion/23463882-41/story.csp
This article states the first little boy died after hitting the handle bars on a 4 wheel type toy? blunt force trauma to the abdomen. I don't understand that. Not saying it couldn't happen but I'm having trouble picturing it.

I work in an ER. It can happen. One night we had two kids come in with ruptured spleens from accidents that had happened hours earlier when playing. One had fallen a short distance off the monkey bars, another was a bike accident. Neither accident remarkable...looked like a normal kid accident.Both accidents were witnessed by either a sibling/friend or a parent. Both kids came inside, said they didn't feel well and laid down. It was only after a couple of hours that the moms, who seemed quite responsible and were quite upset, realised that anything REALLY bad was going on.

Another kid came in after hitting his abdomen on the handlebars with a lacerated liver. Now HE was in much worse shape and bleeding more internally. He didn't seem to be in more pain than the other two.

These kids were all old enough to vocalize their pain and distress. I imagine a toddler could not.

I'm not saying she's guilty or innocent of anything...just saying it can happen.

you're right - maybe she just logged in today to make it private & forgot to change her mood status

I'm bothered by the fact that she's even thinking about social networking sites at a time like this

shouldn't she be grieving the death of a SECOND child in her care?! (this isn't directed at you - just bouncing off your post)

shouldn't she be feeling horrible (even if she wasn't negligent) that she was the one taking care of two children who died?!

I"m not convinced this woman is innocent...or that she's guilty. People express grief in many different ways. Going to your FB or MS page when you're grieving is not necessarily abnormal. All I have on my FB are my friends and family, so any status I posted wouldn't be anything I wouldn't tell them in person. And I have expressed myself when feeling upset (tactfully, I hope!) on my FB.

If she's going on a social networking site to find a date right now, that would be a flag for me. And I don't like the f-bomb comment about the sports team she allgedly made on her MS page. That doesn't seem right.

I guess I'm just pointing out that social networking sites are not just used for partying and hooking up anymore.

I would bet these were cases of negligence more than anything. It will be interesting to hear more. Yes, I lose my phone a lot. But I have it on me or in me pocket if I'm watching kids.

The question I have is whether or not she will continue to watch other peoples children.

When my daughter was young I became a licensed day care provider. At the time I was selling real estate and could not find day care I was confident of placing my daughter in. At one of the day cares I went to pick her up early (at 2:30 in the afternoon) and the children, except the day care providers child, were all outside in the 104 degree heat, crying as they wanted to come into the air conditioned house. Needless to say, my daughter NEVER went back.

I can't imagine the devastation I would have felt if I lost a child in my care. I know I would never have been able to keep caring for other peoples children for sure. At that time, regulations were very strict and enforced. I had two county employees come to my house, one for approval of safety issues and one to ok my becoming a licensed county provider for mothers on county programs. It was a program financially subsidized by the county, so took separate approval.

The only way, as a nurse, that I could see a child be injured so significantly on a plastic toy, would be if he were riding into an object (wall, person, high object) that suddenly stopped his forward progression causing him to abruptly and forcefully to hit the bars.

You can not gather the same speed you would on a bicycle, or a motorized ride on toy.

This is of course only my opinion and in 18 years of nursing, 7 years of child care I have never seen a child die from this type of accident on a plastic toy.

SunnieRN, of course it does depend on the force of which your abdomen goes into the handle bar. If the "bike" had turned on is side, the trauma could have happened that way also. As stated above, liver and splenic lacs CAN go undetected with the liver being the worse of the two due to the blood supply there. Children's trauma, it's causes and symptoms are MUCH different than that of an adult.

We need to take care before pointing fingers, I know the parents of Lincoln, these two people are all about their kids and would never have let someone they did not trust to care for their kids. The parents are my nephew and his wife. IF they felt their child was in any danger in any shape or fashion , I can promise you they would never have left him with the sitter. There is much more to this story then you are reading in the news, and for the first child that died there of head injury. It is very possible to have happened that way. My bestfriend's grandson died in a similiar fashion. Just tripped and fell , hitting his head on the curb. It can and does happen.

I am very sorry for your families loss. I am sure the parents felt the sitter was someone they could trust to watch their child.The problem is some people can put on a great front that they are responsible and trustworthy. Unfortunately twice a child has died. I do not know enough about both incidents but it sure seems like the person in charge was not giving these children her total attention.I myself would never have given her a second chance if I was aware a child died while in her care but that s just me.I do not give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to children.Now with 2 children dying in her care I would hope the first child s death is looked into again.At the very least these child were not being given supervision that young child need to be safe. I guess I just do not believe in coincidences. My heart does go out to the families and loved ones of both children.

I myself would never have given her a second chance if I was aware a child died while in her care but that s just me.I do not give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to children.Now with 2 children dying in her care I would hope the first child s death is looked into again.At the very least these child were not being given supervision that young child need to be safe. I guess I just do not believe in coincidences. My heart does go out to the families and loved ones of both children.

I can tell you the parents of Connor did not blame JB at the time of Connors death. At the time, his mother openly stated that it was not JBs fault. I have not heard anything about if their feelings have changed or not but I saw Connors father making "like" votes on JB's FB page after the incident. In the first few days she posted pictures of the little boy on her page and Connors father commented that he was a cute boy.
I do not know how Connors mother feels about this new death. I am sure that she is avoiding the subject as it is almost Connors birthday and I am sure that it is horribly painful to her.

What a beautiful child. I have not read all the way back, is the daycare shut down? Is CPS interveiwing the older children?

GO BEAVS-WIN THE CIVIL WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday August 27 2010, this is my sons 3rd birthday - or should have been.

If anyone who has posted to this thread before is still interested - the investigation into my sons death is still active. The detectives are still working on a few leads and diligently seeking the truth.

The truth behind what happened to him that Friday afternoon 9 months ago will be found out. The little that was released in the news is far from the whole story of that day. I have the medical records, I know what the detectives know, I know why this is taking so long. Two different pictures have been painted and only one is authentic, the other a forgery. Sifting through this mess to uncover what is real is time consuming. And - nobody wants the wrong conclusion to be made.

I still pray that she is innocent. For the lesser, because she is family and I do not want this for her, or for "us". But as Lincolns father, I do not want my fears that he suffered in her care and we - I - did not notice. Hindsight does make one wiser in this situation, it only makes me feel like a horrible father. A father who did not care for his son as he should have. A father that did not see all of the warning signs that scream at me now that pleaded with me then to never take him there again.

The truth will come out. People know what happened that horrible day. Someday they will have the freedom, the courage, the need to come forth and fill in the missing pieces. Then justice can be served as it needs to be.

I miss my son every moment of every day. I still can not drive by the hospital where we left him. I still feel the weight of him in my arms from holding him and not wanting to or being able to accept that he was not coming home. To this day I fell as though I failed my son, and then abandoned him.

This is the pain that I live with every day. If anyone has experience in dealing with the media on how to revive this tragedy, to bring it back out into the public in an attempt to get that one person to come forth with one piece of truth that can swing the door - please teach me. I - our family - and most of all the memory of one of the most wonderful little boys you could ever meet in your life could use your wisdom. --- Thank you ---

Attachments

• 100_7635.jpg
    100_7635.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 40

If anyone who has posted to this thread before is still interested - the investigation into my sons death is still active. The detectives are still working on a few leads and diligently seeking the truth.

The truth behind what happened to him that Friday afternoon 9 months ago will be found out. The little that was released in the news is far from the whole story of that day. I have the medical records, I know what the detectives know, I know why this is taking so long. Two different pictures have been painted and only one is authentic, the other a forgery. Sifting through this mess to uncover what is real is time consuming. And - nobody wants the wrong conclusion to be made.

I still pray that she is innocent. For the lesser, because she is family and I do not want this for her, or for "us". But as Lincolns father, I do not want my fears that he suffered in her care and we - I - did not notice. Hindsight does make one wiser in this situation, it only makes me feel like a horrible father. A father who did not care for his son as he should have. A father that did not see all of the warning signs that scream at me now that pleaded with me then to never take him there again.

The truth will come out. People know what happened that horrible day. Someday they will have the freedom, the courage, the need to come forth and fill in the missing pieces. Then justice can be served as it needs to be.

I miss my son every moment of every day. I still can not drive by the hospital where we left him. I still feel the weight of him in my arms from holding him and not wanting to or being able to accept that he was not coming home. To this day I fell as though I failed my son, and then abandoned him.

This is the pain that I live with every day. If anyone has experience in dealing with the media on how to revive this tragedy, to bring it back out into the public in an attempt to get that one person to come forth with one piece of truth that can swing the door - please teach me. I - our family - and most of all the memory of one of the most wonderful little boys you could ever meet in your life could use your wisdom. --- Thank you ---

Dear BW1974,

First let me express on behalf of Websleuths our deepest condolences on the loss of your son. I wish I had the words to help make your pain go away but alas I do not. Please know we are here for you.

If you could please email me at tgrif@xmission.com I am the owner of the site and I need to verify you are who you say you are. All the info you give me will be kept in the strictest of confidence.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss and hope and pray you find out the whole truth very soon.

Sincerely,
Tricia Griffith
Owner/Websleuths.com

I am so so sorry for your loss. My heart aches for you. Unless you are with a child every minute of everyday, sometimes you can't protect him from everything that could occur in this crazy world.

You are in my prayers and I wish I could take just a fraction of your pain away.........God bless you.

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I can't possibly imagine what you are going through, but your post gave me a glimpse into the depths of pain you experience every day. Your family deserves answers so I truly hope anyone with information will come forward to help you. The people here at WS are some of the most caring, intelligent people I know, so if someone here can help you...guide you...in any way, I know that they will.

Happy 3rd birthday, sweet Lincoln.

I too have tears in my eyes. I began this thread because something didn't feel right about what happened.

:hug:

Once you contact Tricia, I'll be happy to see what she suggests I can do since I live in the area.

BW1974 - Your post made me literally stop breathing while I was reading it. I couldn't imagine having to experience that level of grief. You must give yourself a break. Hindsight is 20/20 and we all know much more after the fact then we do when something is occurring. It is very clear how deeply you loved your sweet baby Lincoln. Had something been evident, you would have acted on it. We often miss small nuances in our busy everyday lives. You can't beat yourself up for that. Take heart that your little boy was so very loved and cherished. I have no doubt that he knew that. I hope the answers come for you and your family. You have waited too long already. I am sending you good vibes for peace in your heart.

What a beautiful little boy.

I hope you find the answers you seek....soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back