Teacher writes loser on 6 grader's paper

Roxye

Reaction score
Website
www.southernsassoncrime.com
http://www.ksfy.com/news/local/87461092.html

Rex Roland teaches sixth graders at Enka Middle School in Candler, N.C.
Patty Clement says her child was repeatedly bullied by Roland in class and she wants it to stop.
Clement says on a November vocabulary assignment Roland wrote the word "loser" after correcting the paper.
Just a few weeks ago, another graded assignment made its way home, and at the top of the page was the word "loser" underlined twice

video
http://www.ksfy.com/news/local/87461092.html?video=YHI&t=a

WHAT?

Somebody would have a very sore butt tonight had that been my son!

OMG!!! That poor child, it's bad enough to be bullied by your classmates, but your teacher!!:furious::furious:

Teacher should be fired! I wonder which cracker jack box he pulled his degree from. That child is beautiful!! Teacher says his way of joking, I assume if a child told him you are a loser he would have the child in the office quickly.

Ugh teacher's like this are the reason I am so against teacher strikes and teachers' unions. Teachers like this are protected by the system until they finally royally screw up.

OMG! I can not belive an adult in charge of educating kids would do something like that.

not only did he write loser, but -20%. Then the article goes on to say SOME parents actually defend this guys style of teaching because it helps him relate to the kids? What kids? The ones who don't learn respect that we'll be reading about here 20 years from now?

This teacher needs to be fired, never be allowed to teach again and stay away from ANY employment putting him around children.

Un real.

I wonder what the school board will have to say about this.

You're fired!

That's what the school board should be saying. This man has no business being around children. Especially middle schoolers ! (That takes a very special teacher indeed.)

If he wants to see a :loser: he should look in the mirror. A grown man picking on a 13yo! LAME!

Wow. The lack of professionalism is staggering.

You know how some teachers put a gold star on homework, or maybe have a neat stamp, for if you do well? My 2nd grade teacher had a *frown* face stamp for homework if you didn't do well. One of my friends used to give her homework to her parents upside down, hoping they'd think it was a smiley face.

The 'loser' bit is much worse, though.

You don't have to give positive reinforcement, especially if it isn't warranted. I'm not one of those teachers who is all lovey-dovey, protect their self-esteem at all costs types. Name calling crosses the line, though. Be specific. -20% for what? For incomplete sentences? Lack of adequate research? Weak thesis statement? What does a child learn from "loser?" Not a thing. Or, maybe, that his teacher is an a$$hole.

Unprofessional to say the least. I would be extremely upset if this were my child. If he can write something like this on a homework assignment, I'm afraid to hear how he verbally communicates to his students.

Some teachers criticism of students can be long lasting. I do hope this one won't for the young man.

This is absolutely ridiculous. How can he still be teaching?

We already have enough problems with bullying in our schools. And very young children committing suicide.

If a teacher calls students losers, that makes the kids think that it is okay to call their peers losers. If one student feels that his or her friends all think they are a loser, and their teacher thinks they are a loser, that doesn't make for very good self esteem.

Fire this teacher now before he is responsible for the suicide of a student.

This guy needs to go. The really scary part is that he wasn't afraid of the parents or of school authorities. Most bullies at least try not to get caught.

If he's this undisciplined and is throwing things, he's a security risk. He could snap and harm someone.

This mother should have demanded that her child be transferred to a new teacher when this started.

You don't have to give positive reinforcement, especially if it isn't warranted. I'm not one of those teachers who is all lovey-dovey, protect their self-esteem at all costs types. Name calling crosses the line, though. Be specific. -20% for what? For incomplete sentences? Lack of adequate research? Weak thesis statement? What does a child learn from "loser?" Not a thing. Or, maybe, that his teacher is an a$$hole.

Exactly! Explain the grade, don't criticise. And what exactly does -20% mean? is that a grade of 80% or actually 20 percent less than a zero?

Based on this teachers thinking and way of teaching, I can only imagine some kid thinking it is OK to call someone a loser on say a job interview or to his coworkers one day. What do people think an education is for?

Sounds like he really needs to spend a few hours a day taping himself, calling himself the loser and playing the tape watching himself telling himself such things. Wonder how it helps his esteem?

I won't call him a loser, just a jerk!

and how about this: CAREER OVER!
That is if he ever thought of teaching as a career. :rolleyes:

I bet there will be parents and teachers who fight for this idiot to stay... they'll claim we don't know the "real Mr. ____" ugh. He makes teachers look bad, and that's all we need :(

Boy, does this take me back to someplace I don't want to be. My son had a teacher in 6th grade who wrote - in red - "Careless Mistakes" at the top of one of his papers. So far, okay, BUT the *&^%^ sent the paper home, not in an envelope, with a neighbor boy as my son was off sick that week.

Mind you, I was in the school once or twice every week as a volunteer, so she could have given the paper to me. Pulled both my children out of that school for the next grades because this was not the only instance of ridiculing a child that I had observed while in the school and not just my children.

That poor child who was called a loser. The idiot teacher needs to be doing something else with his life than bullying young children.

What the heck is wrong with this teacher? Kids today are being bullied to death! Children are committing suicide over bullying or snapping and shooting up their schools and killing others over bullying. How dare he write "Loser" on this boys paper. Kids today need self-esteem boosts not having an authority figure cutting them down. I say fire the guy.

You know how some teachers put a gold star on homework, or maybe have a neat stamp, for if you do well? My 2nd grade teacher had a *frown* face stamp for homework if you didn't do well. One of my friends used to give her homework to her parents upside down, hoping they'd think it was a smiley face.

The 'loser' bit is much worse, though.
My high school spanish teacher used to hand back papers and would loudly say "el stinko" when he handed someone a paper with a bad grade.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back