2010.06.19 ~ Kyron Horman's Blended Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You TrY for finding that video. DY definitely says she didn't know TH before. This is important information that we now know is correct.

Kyron wasn't even born yet, so I find it odd that they talk as though he'd be affected while they were divorcing, but he wasn't even born yet. Correct? Did DY really have custody and care for him for the two years before her illness? Did Kyron go for visitation to his Dad's?

Curious if Kyron felt more attached to DY than TH? Curious about alot of stuff.

The interviewer did miss a chance at a followup question -- I also would be curious as to when and how DY met TH and how Kyron came to be in the care of TH in the first place.

In my opinion the family dynamics are very complicated -- they are probably a lot more complicated then what the media has reported so far. (The thread about the Oregonian newspaper and the Willamette Weekly not being allowed at an off the record presser is locked but I do think that the fact that those media organizations have started digging into the family tree and family dynamics likely played a part in why those two organizations were not allowed at the off the record presser.)

That is what is catching my attention the most is the need to control media so they don't report some certain thing. What's to hide? It's beyond weird. Basically, I'd like to understand if TH was a truly loving Mom to Kyron, or resentful enough to put him in harms way. Was Dad real involved in Kyron's life or did he leave it all to TH?

It is all about Kyron.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, TrY:dance:

I really appreciate you finding the correct video.

Thanks also to everyone who responded to my post wanting a link and asking other questions. I like it that WS really challenges us to think. I just joined toward the beginning of June and am impressed with how posters help *and* question each other.

This case, as so many of us seem to agree, has lessened any strong "faith" in taking media's "word" at face value. This actually may be a great thing -- if we offer respectful criticism and suggestions and hold them (and ourselves) to high standards.

This case also seems to speed up like a hare -- and then slow down like a tortoise. And, at any speed, there are more twists and turns than a slithering serpent.

(Snipped for brevity)

"Many posters have wanted a link to the interview and so do I!:banghead: Please help if you can."

The interview is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rx3YHyQrM8

Go to the 6:04 mark to about the 6:11 mark -- that's where the interviewer asks bio mom DY if she knew TH before Kyron was born, DY says "No, I did not" and then "No" again. Also watch KH's body language and lack of expression and movement, IMO, when that question is asked by the interviewer and answered by DY.

(I think this is the KOIN channel 6 interview that was being asked about further up this thread -- I also could not find the video on the KOIN website. If this video is not KOIN, can someone please post the correct tv station/network as DY and KH did a lot of interviews on 6/25.)

I put that video clip and CharlestonGal's transcription in the [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5364417&postcount=20"]Who's Who[/ame] too.

Thank you all!

I don't know if anyone has already posted this as far as how long TH has known Kyron but I just saw a picture of Kaine and TH with a baby taken Halloween, 2003, when Kyron would be about 13 months old. I'm pretty sure the baby is Kyron so she apparently knew him before she moved in (2004) to help take care of him.

Are you allowed to link to the photo? Or was it that you were personally shown a photo and there is no link?

Are you allowed to link to the photo? Or was it that you were personally shown a photo and there is no link?

I don't have the link handy but it's in her (still open) Facebook photos. I'll see if I can find it again.
eta I found it but I am going to PM a mod and ask if it's ok to link here.

Quoted from another thread.

http://kdrv.com/page/180433

"I ah didn't know Terri until um after Kyron was born, that was when I met her...it took me about a year and a half before I even talked to her, so Kyron was about a year and a half old."

Affair.

Actually she says "even ever talked to her" if it makes a difference to anyone. Certainly not old friends.

I think it is important for this thread to note that DY and TY in this press conference make a point of saying a lot of things that have been said about the family are wrong and ask to consider the source. The implication being, IMO, that Terri's friends and family have said some things that are not quite correct.

She seems to be confirming that Terri was somehow in Kyron's life from birth though because she says it took a year and a half from the time they first met about the time when Kyron was born to when they first talked.
She wouldn't say "it took me a year and a half to talk to her" unless Terri had been in the picture in some capacity or other for a year and a half and if not as a friend of Desiree's then it probably must have been as a partner of Kaine's, just like Carol Moulton originally said.

The question is, how did the false information about how Terri met Kyron in the article come to be published? Who was the source and did that source believe all that false information themselves or was he/she purposefully lying about it? What else have we heard that came from that source?

Quoted from another thread.

Actually she says "even ever talked to her" if it makes a difference to anyone. Certainly not old friends.

I think it is important for this thread to note that DY and TY in this press conference make a point of saying a lot of things that have been said about the family are wrong and ask to consider the source. The implication being, IMO, that Terri's friends and family have said some things that are not quite correct.

She seems to be confirming that Terri was somehow in Kyron's life from birth though because she says it took a year and a half from the time they first met about the time when Kyron was born to when they first talked.
She wouldn't say "it took me a year and a half to talk to her" unless Terri had been in the picture in some capacity or other for a year and a half and if not as a friend of Desiree's then it probably must have been as a partner of Kaine's, just like Carol Moulton originally said.

The question is, how did the false information about how Terri met Kyron in the article come to be published? Who was the source and did that source believe all that false information themselves or was he/she purposefully lying about it? What else have we heard that came from that source?

I think the source was orignally TH and what she told people to sanitize her version of events. Probably wouldn't look good for a school teacher to admit she may have broke up a marriage while the wife was pregnant.

Here's what DY has to say about the false information in the end of the presser:

She is asked what she'd like for people to know and she first says to get everyone to know Kyron and goes on to say,
"I know that I can say that a lot of information that's been reported prior about... our family our relationship uh whatever the case is
a lot of it has been false,
uh, so unfortunately you can't always believe what you hear or read read, so if it's not coming from our mouths you know, kind of question the source but, like, yeah. Like the question you asked before I wasn't friends with her prior, the same type of scenario, a lot of the information has been false."

(Transcribed by me.)

I think the source was orignally TH and what she told people to sanitize her version of events. Probably wouldn't look good for a school teacher to admit she may have broke up a marriage while the wife was pregnant.

TH and KH together, maybe? After all, a woman can't break up a man's marriage unless he's willing. They waited until a press conference in which Kaine was not present to make a point of this not being true. Perhaps to avoid embarrassing him? It looks like it's a relative of his giving this statement:

Kyron moved in full time with his dad, now 36, an engineer at Intel. With a demanding job at the company's Jones Farm campus in Hillsboro, where he works in the architecture group, Kaine needed child care. So, Desiree's friend Terri moved in to help.

"Someone had to watch the baby," said Amanda Howards, the former wife of Kaine's brother Kristian. "Terri was her friend. She moved in just to help with the baby."

TH and KH together, maybe? After all, a woman can't break up a man's marriage unless he's willing. They waited until a press conference in which Kaine was not present to make a point of this not being true. Perhaps to avoid embarrassing him? It looks like it's a relative of his giving this statement:

Maybe that was the story they told the family and friends, that Terri was a friend of Desiree's helping with the baby but it is not the truth from what Desiree said tonight. It seems clear that they have been together since before the baby was born and Terri's moving in may have been to help with Kyron but it wasn't because she was doing Desiree any favors. Why lie unless the truth makes them look bad.

Why would a former wife, no longer in Kaine's family, give out this version of events?

I can only think because that's what Kaine led the family to believe. Maybe when the girlfriend moved in, Kaine said she was only there "to help with the Baby"..."She's Desiree's friend."

The only reason to do this is to save face...to hide an affair. Maybe an affair that was the cause of the original break-up of the marriage.

Maybe his family has believed this sanitized version for years. He may still be protecting an old lie, an old cover story. That might be , as someone suggested above, the reason he has an aversion to the media that is "digging" in the past.

This fits with the theory that Terri may have known Kyron since he was 3 days old...because she was close to Dad not Mom.

Are his parents alive?

That's what I've thought from the start, that it might be that some people were given just parts of the story. Terri's mom seems to have had it about right and even Terri's friend JF knew that she had been in Kyron's life since he was three days old, but some other relative might be under a false impression, particularly if they haven't been very close. There are some families who might not take affairs in their stride and people might want to leave out the details. It might also explain why they didn't answer these seemingly harmless questions about the family history themselves but the reporters had to get the scoop from a brother's ex.

It would make sense if it was a case of old untruths surfacing because it is much harder to imagine anybody calling the exes of their relatives after a child goes missing and saying, look, I don't want the truth about our affair coming out, could you talk to these reporters and tell them a BS sob story about how it was all strictly charity when we met.

I can't think of a relative that I would dare to ask to lie to reporters for me but I have a few to whom I could imagine telling a white lie or a half-truth. Who wouldn't just laugh and say, look, if I say that then Desiree will just correct it in the next edition. But if they were sharing this story years ago of course they never imagined that the papers would one day be interested.

There seems to be alot of conversation about what family members outside of the 4 parents of Kyron have said about their family .
Honestly you cannot control any family member that speaks to the press. Not all members of familys have all info correct, nor do they always tell it correctly.
Some family members like to exaggerate, embellish etc.
You cannot hold Terri, Kaine, Desiree or Tony accountable for what anyone else says about their family.
Im sure there are members of my family that don't know a whole lot about how me and my husband got together. Im sure it is the same with many people.

Also, at the time that Terri's mother was interivewed, I believe it was still thought to be at least possible that Kyron was merely "lost"? I doubt that she would have given this same interview once her daughter had been singled out to this degree. She could not have imagined what would come out, or that she was even giving information that would turn out to be untrue.

There seems to be alot of conversation about what family members outside of the 4 parents of Kyron have said about their family .
Honestly you cannot control any family member that speaks to the press. Not all members of familys have all info correct, nor do they always tell it correctly.
Some family members like to exaggerate, embellish etc.
You cannot hold Terri, Kaine, Desiree or Tony accountable for what anyone else says about their family.
Im sure there are members of my family that don't know a whole lot about how me and my husband got together. Im sure it is the same with many people.

Yes, sure you're right, lots of people know next to nothing about their relatives, but some mistakes are more likely to be made than others. For instance, I wouldn't bat an eyelash if someone in my family got asked how long me and DH have been together or how we met and they said, "oh gosh, I don't know, they've been together for ages, sometime in the early nineties, maybe, and I'm not at all sure how they met. I think they met while studying." Another relative might guess we met at a nightclub in the midnineties, another that we met through a common friend at about the turn of the century, yet another say that we had a hobby or met in a concert and he's got no idea of the year. It's vague enough and plausible enough that people might come up with it by accident.

I don't think that people are very likely to mistakenly suppose that their relatives got together because the man had a child whose ill mother's friend moved in to take care of that child in a purely platonic manner unless someone has deliberately directed their thoughts to that direction. The story is so detailed that it has to come from somewhere. But of course the original source doesn't have to be Terri or Kaine, it could have been anyone with a motive to conceal how the relationship started (who?)

Have you noticed how the blended family article sticks to Terri? It tells us everything about Terri except the number of fillings in her teeth but next to nothing about any other members of Kyron’s blended family. It could be retitled as “Terri Horman’s life and experiences” and nobody would notice the difference.

To recap the blended family article:

Terri standing with Desiree at a presser, Terri and Desiree have not spoken in public, Terri is the last to see Kyron, Terri is the first to report missing, Terri cared for him for years, Desiree went to Canada, Terri became Kyron’s caretaker, Desiree and Kaine married, got pregnant, divorced, Kyron was born, Desiree was ill, Kyron moved in with dad, Terri moved in, Terri is Desiree’s friend, Terri brought her son, Desiree came back in the USA with bills, has new husband and close relationship with Kyron. Terri and Kaine’s relationship blossoms, Terri and Kaine got married, looking buff in their bathing suits on Hawaii, Terri posts happy photo on FB, Terri gets a candy red apple Mustang for Mother’s day, Terri writes on FB about it, Terri has a vanity plate, hair and nickname. Terri and Kaine get a girl. Kaine’s family has names starting with K. Terri and Kaine’s family play boardgames, go bowling and have been to Disneyworld, the Roloff farm and the zoo. Terri volunteers at school and takes kids swimming. Swimming teacher has no idea Terri is stepmom. Terri was born March 14, 1970, grew up in Roseburg, the daughter of two teachers, Carol and Larry Moulton, graduated from Roseburg High School in 1988, met first husband in Umpqua Community College, married in 1991, got a child Jan. 26, 1994, divorced in 1995, didn’t get child support in 1996-98 and tangled in court 1999, remarried 1996. Terri’s new hubby adopts and pays child support 500$ a month. Terri gets a bachelor’s degree, moves to Beaverton, separates in 2001, and divorces again in 2002. Terri looked for work, was a substitute teacher in Hillsboro, Eastwood, Mooberry and Lenox elementaries. Moves in with Kaine, stops teaching 2003-2006 to be with Kyron, earns a master’s in education 2004 from Pacific University, dreams of being superintendent of school district, likes WOW, does bodybuilding, placed fourth in a competition. Terri drives drunk, Terri is attentive mom and gifted teacher who would not hurt a child, posts lots of daughter photos on FB and sends them to her ex. Terri’s son moves in with grandparents. Kyron’s parents have cordial relationship. Terri’s mom comforts Terri and Kaine. Kaine’s dad says it’s devastating to lose a child.

Do you see a pattern? The article drops some names in Kaine’s family history but there are no details about them. The article very briefly mentions that Desiree is married to a Medford police detective but doesn’t say the date of their marriage or anything. They report, however, that Terri and Kaine were married in Kauai looking buff, and we know what Terri got for Mother’s day. We don’t hear what Desiree or Tony’s educational history or career ambitions are, no idea what their nicknames are, what kind of cars they drive or what they do on the internet, what their hobbies are, nor do we hear anything about their extended family. We know the exact birthdays of Terri’s other children but the article doesn’t even say if Desiree and Tony have other children although they’re very much part of Kyron’s blended family. We know that Terri plays World of Warcraft, we know what her licence plate says and we know when she went to the zoo with her family. We know Terri’s exact birthday and what her parents do but there is no mention about Desiree’s parents, if they’re even alive. We know which high school Terri graduated from and which elementary schools she used to work at several years ago but the article makes no mention about what Desiree does for a living. We know when Terri was in court with her first ex years before Kyron’s birth but we don’t know when her mom married his stepfather. We know how much child support she’s been getting monthly but have no idea about Desiree and Tony’s finances beyond her medical bills from 2004.

Some of it may be reported simply because the reporter had access to Terri’s facebook and not that of Desiree’s but the article is clearly focused on Terri, like it’s a celebrity featurette, or a suspect profile.

Wonder what the reporter really thought of her? It’s written quite nicely and they say nice things about her, but the exclusive focus on her despite the title makes me wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member