The Sidebar - Harris Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought one of the charges was a felony if it was committed while committing another crime (the "other crime" being sexting a minor).

Is that not the case for one of the charges? Wasn't that why they bundled those sexting charges with the murder charges?

??

jmo

Staley ruled a long time ago that the State could include the minors charges in this trial because the specific activities charged took place on June 18th, AND that the State should be allowed to try to make a connection between Cooper's death and that activity (that it went to motive).

A connection for the State to argue, not felony charges attached to other felony charges.

I wanted to say that I really appreciate those that have the courage to post as the minority. This case is not as cut and dry as most trials I have followed and can understand and respect opinions on both sides.
Actually, in this case the minority is not even that small, not compared to most threads I've followed and I can tell that the posters are not sympathetic to Ross or being deliberately contrary, I've been in threads like that.
Posters on this case seem to be rather educated and intelligent, on both sides, that's probably why I've changed my mind a few times.

Where I am at right now? I think I would have to go not guilty if I was on a trial. Reasons:

I feel if he wanted to deliberately leave Cooper in the car he'd have simply gone from home to work, no CF.
I do not feel he would have went to the car at lunch to check things out on camera, he'd simply wait to go in after work.
I also feel that even if he thought he would not eventually be charged he'd assume like most of us would that his phone etc would be looked at. LE is not just going to take someones word it's an accident.
Guy could have and in my opinion would have erased ALL of the sexting and stuff with minors.

In regards to the motive. I just have not seen one. "My wife is a big bad old mean and we are only together for the kids" is the refrain of ever single skeevy married cheating dude in the history of forever. He also
had texted that things were better with his wife. Do I believe he loved Ms. Meadows? My mama taught me early that actions speak louder than words, he wasn't wining and dining her or buy her gifts etc. He spent
more on a hooker than on her. I think she was more of a challenge in that she didn't just hop in his car to service him and that he may have found her the most attractive of his prospects, I don't see love or him killing his son
for a woman who is that hot and cold with him and is living with another man. Quite far fetched to me.

I simply cannot take what a guy says trying to get in women's pants as gospel. I also can't cherry pick the things he said to support a guilty verdict so I can't ignore that the dude straight up said he "likes it with strangers".
I saw zero evidence that he was looking for a love affair, and plenty that he was looking for no strings attached sex, and he was getting no strings attached sex, why kill the baby?

As far as the life insurance on Cooper, I am glad it was not allowed. $27000 minus the cost of a funeral just isn't a strong enough motive for a professional young couple to off their child. If they were
that hard up for cash I don't think they would be planning a vacation, and no, I do not believe he would kill Cooper for a house down payment and a vacation. Absurd.

Some compare this guy to Scott Peterson. Not seeing it. Scott hid that he had a wife and child, RH never did. People also came forward when the Peterson case broke saying he always gave them a bad/creepy vibe. Not a single person came forward like that in this case. No guy announces to work or friends that he's seeing prostitutes or that he is cheating. Seems most of his friends are religious. I do not discuss my sex life with others that are not involved in it. Does not mean I am capable of murder.

TLDR: I feel if he was going to plan this murder, he'd have planned better.

All of the above makes sense.

What about the Criminal Neglect charges. Do you think he should be charged with that? Or is it Not Guilty there too?

No audio as Judge reads names of four alternate jurors.

I wanted to say that I really appreciate those that have the courage to post as the minority. This case is not as cut and dry as most trials I have followed and can understand and respect opinions on both sides.
Actually, in this case the minority is not even that small, not compared to most threads I've followed and I can tell that the posters are not sympathetic to Ross or being deliberately contrary, I've been in threads like that.
Posters on this case seem to be rather educated and intelligent, on both sides, that's probably why I've changed my mind a few times.

Where I am at right now? I think I would have to go not guilty if I was on a trial. Reasons:

I feel if he wanted to deliberately leave Cooper in the car he'd have simply gone from home to work, no CF.
I do not feel he would have went to the car at lunch to check things out on camera, he'd simply wait to go in after work.
I also feel that even if he thought he would not eventually be charged he'd assume like most of us would that his phone etc would be looked at. LE is not just going to take someones word it's an accident.
Guy could have and in my opinion would have erased ALL of the sexting and stuff with minors.

In regards to the motive. I just have not seen one. "My wife is a big bad old mean and we are only together for the kids" is the refrain of ever single skeevy married cheating dude in the history of forever. He also
had texted that things were better with his wife. Do I believe he loved Ms. Meadows? My mama taught me early that actions speak louder than words, he wasn't wining and dining her or buy her gifts etc. He spent
more on a hooker than on her. I think she was more of a challenge in that she didn't just hop in his car to service him and that he may have found her the most attractive of his prospects, I don't see love or him killing his son
for a woman who is that hot and cold with him and is living with another man. Quite far fetched to me.

I simply cannot take what a guy says trying to get in women's pants as gospel. I also can't cherry pick the things he said to support a guilty verdict so I can't ignore that the dude straight up said he "likes it with strangers".
I saw zero evidence that he was looking for a love affair, and plenty that he was looking for no strings attached sex, and he was getting no strings attached sex, why kill the baby?

As far as the life insurance on Cooper, I am glad it was not allowed. $27000 minus the cost of a funeral just isn't a strong enough motive for a professional young couple to off their child. If they were
that hard up for cash I don't think they would be planning a vacation, and no, I do not believe he would kill Cooper for a house down payment and a vacation. Absurd.

Some compare this guy to Scott Peterson. Not seeing it. Scott hid that he had a wife and child, RH never did. People also came forward when the Peterson case broke saying he always gave them a bad/creepy vibe. Not a single person came forward like that in this case. No guy announces to work or friends that he's seeing prostitutes or that he is cheating. Seems most of his friends are religious. I do not discuss my sex life with others that are not involved in it. Does not mean I am capable of murder.

TLDR: I feel if he was going to plan this murder, he'd have planned better.

Very well reasoned and well stated.

Defendant # Count Offense Severity Disposition Status Judge Dispo Date Signed Date
1 1 MURDERY FELONY
1 2 MURDER FELONY
1 3 MURDER FELONY
1 4 CRUELTY TO CHILDREN FELONY
1 5 CRUELTY TO CHILDREN FELONY
1 6 CRIMINAL ATTEMPT FELONY
1 7 FURNISH SEX EXPLICIT MATERIAL FELONY
1 8 FURNISH SEX EXPLICIT MATERIAL FELONY https://ctsearch.cobbsuperiorcourtclerk.com/Results

jmho I think the charge your thinking of are the murder charges (the sexting have nothing to do with murder)

Thank you! I also recall this list with an explanation after them that explained the definitions. I'm pulling my hair out looking for them.

Yes, I realize that. But I thought one of the other charges (having to do with murder) was a felony charge IF committed while also committing another crime (the sexting-minor crime).

Am I the only one thinking this? I'm searching for the list of charges....I know they've been posted here a few times...anyone have a clue where to find that neat and tidy list??

Edited to add: AHA! Someone posted above this post. Thanks!

It's felony murder if the death happens while committing 1st or 2nd degree child cruelty.

Yes, but I do think juries for the most part do really try to understand the charge and follow the instructions.

I agree. But they can only do what they can do, and these instructions are really quite befuddling.

Jury dismissed to jury room. ***VERDICT WATCH***

Judge says she's going to dismiss jury until tomorrow morning. Attorneys agree.

I wonder why there wasn't a plea of guilty to the sexting with a minor charges. They presented no defense and that would've prevented those charges from muddying up the murder case.

Does se anyone have a link to jury instructions?

I don't think it would have prevented all the sexting evidence because it was allegedly needed to prove "motive".

It's felony murder if the death happens while committing 1st or 2nd degree child cruelty.

That's what I must be (mis)remembering. So the child cruelty has to do with Cooper, not the minor sext'er??

Now do I have it right?

:)

I forgot about the alternatives.

Do they sit in on the deliberations or are they only called into the jury room if needed?

I don't know what they do in Georgia, but in most states, the alternates do not sit in on deliberations. IIUC

That's what I must be (mis)remembering. So the child cruelty has to do with Cooper, not the minor sext'er??

Now do I have it right?

:)

May I buy you one of those yummy looking drinks? I think you've earned it. :D

I wonder why there wasn't a plea of guilty to the sexting with a minor charges. They presented no defense and that would've prevented those charges from muddying up the murder case.

Does se anyone have a link to jury instructions?

There was a motion on those fruit of the poisonous tree from the cell phone (there are also 8 more charges from March 2016 indictment) jmho why the didnt

They do not have the jury instructions final yet.

Defendant # Count Offense Severity Disposition Status Judge Dispo Date Signed Date
1 1 MURDER FELONY JAIL
1 2 MURDER FELONY JAIL
1 3 MURDER FELONY JAIL
1 4 CRUELTY TO CHILDREN FELONY JAIL
1 5 CRUELTY TO CHILDREN FELONY JAIL
1 6 CRIMINAL ATTEMPT FELONY JAIL
1 7 FURNISH SEX EXPLICIT MATERIAL FELONY JAIL
1 8 FURNISH SEX EXPLICIT MATERIAL FELONY https://ctsearch.cobbsuperiorcourtclerk.com/Results

All of the above makes sense.

What about the Criminal Neglect charges. Do you think he should be charged with that? Or is it Not Guilty there too?

That one I am having a harder time with Katydid. On one hand I do text when I am with my son and talk on the phone so I'm asking myself if it really makes a difference what the texts were about. On
the other hand, I do see signs that he may have had an addiction and I have seen cases where the parents had an addiction to something like video games etc. that caused their child's death and I did
want them charged. I am not sure I fully understand what is necessary for a charge of Criminal Neglect so I will have to read up more before I decide that one.

I have not followed the trial(my bad), wanted to know if it was ever sai how often ross stopped at chic fil a for breakfast with Cooper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher