Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
June 28, 2013 at 8:17 am

Powerful storms leave trail of damage through southeastern Michigan

Tom Greenwood /The Detroit News

Detroit — A series of powerful storms that swept through southeastern Michigan Thursday afternoon left a trail of uprooted trees, flooded streets, downed power lines and more than 100,000 homes and businesses without power.

After hard work through the night by DTE Energy crews, that number has been reduced to 68,000 as of Friday morning. There were no reports of deaths or injuries from the storms, which swept south from the Saginaw Valley beginning at about 2:30 p.m. Thursday...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130628/METRO08/306280060#ixzz2XW5skG7L

Not long after I posted yesterday, it got very dark, and I could hear rumbles of thunder in the distance. The lights flickered, TV screen went "poof" (I was listening to local news), so I shut down the computer, turned off lights, etc. I called DH and told him about the impending storm. He said that there was already pouring rain, thunder, and dangerous lightning and that he wouldn't leave the office until the storm subsided. He encountered flooded roads, downed trees, heavy traffic as folks tried to wend their way home. The storm hit our neck of the woods @5:00: It was skeery :eek:

Be safe.

Rain rain go away, come again some other day!

Southern Ohio here. It has rained for days. Not really storming, mostly drizzling but some real downpours. I am so sick of rain and gray skies.

We've had our spring the last two weeks, awesome weather for the fourth of July for a change. No monsoon downpour or 100 plus temps.

Soon will be a different story with 90's and who the heck knows how hot it will get. Just hope it's not the 100 plus heat index temps we had last summer for weeks.

I remember one year we had something like 6 weeks of a wet gray spring. People were literally getting sick and depressed.

We can use more rain, so Mysterview we will take your rain if you can send it! And I'll try to send you sunshine and perfect temps.

I shoved a little of it your way Show Me, lol. It is heavier than it looks.

I was thinking after I posted this..... just wait, I am complaining about the weather. Now I'll feel bad if it turns hot and doesn't rain the rest of the summer.

Well our wonderful nice weather is gone.

It will be hot, 101-106 degrees and I'm getting my new counter tops and sink installed. Which means the house will heat up as people go in and out constantly. Gotta keep three dogs in our small office with the door closed, and they don't get their baths until tomorrow.

Severe thunderstorm watches issued for SE Michigan

Wednesday will start muggy, but temps will drop

Author: Brandon Roux, Local 4 Meteorologist , broux@wdiv.com

Published On: Jul 10 2013 04:27:42 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 10 2013 01:20:38 PM EDT

Local 4Casters say muggy weather will move out

DETROIT -
The National Weather Service has issued severe thunderstorm watches until 8 p.m. for seven southeast Michigan counties.

Included in the watch are:

Lenawee

Macomb

Monroe

Oakland

St. Clair

Washtenaw - Also under severe thunderstorm warning until 2:15 p.m.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weath...igan/-/1719236/20913536/-/mw5ire/-/index.html

DH claims that there was heavy rain, thunder, and lightning during the wee hours, but I was out like a light :D High humidity today makes me feel yucky, and I'll be glad when the storms are over and temperatures fall.

Severe thunderstorm watches issued for SE Michigan

Wednesday will start muggy, but temps will drop

Published On: Jul 10 2013 04:27:42 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 10 2013 01:20:38 PM EDT

Local 4Casters say muggy weather will move out

DETROIT -
The National Weather Service has issued severe thunderstorm watches until 8 p.m. for seven southeast Michigan counties.

Included in the watch are:

Lenawee

Macomb

Monroe

Oakland

St. Clair

Washtenaw - Also under severe thunderstorm warning until 2:15 p.m.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weath...igan/-/1719236/20913536/-/mw5ire/-/index.html

DH claims that there was heavy rain, thunder, and lightning during the wee hours, but I was out like a light :D High humidity today makes me feel yucky, and I'll be glad when the storms are over and temperatures fall.

Stay safe! I saw pictures from Bryan, OH - 2pm with monsoon rains - Central OH looks like the rainforest as it is! We don't need anymore rain. My gauge has registered over 3 inches in 24 hours.

Good grief...Ohio is looking like Canada.

You don't need a car...you need a boat. Water even up to the bottom of the bridges. Need to plant rice instead of corn.

Dangerous heat blankets Metro Detroit

Heat advisory issued for 8 SE Michigan counties

Published On: Jul 15 2013 11:42:04 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 15 2013 03:29:29 PM EDT

DETROIT -
The heat is going to be a health danger for many of us the next several days.

It’s a triple threat of temperatures, humidity, and storm potential each day for most of the week ahead. Highs today will hit 90 degrees and the high humidity will make it feel like it is closer to 100 degrees...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weath...oit/-/1719236/20982032/-/dt0myiz/-/index.html

Heat advisory in effect for all of SE Michigan

Advisory to last until midnight Thursday

Published On: Jul 16 2013 04:06:37 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 16 2013 11:58:12 AM EDT

DETROIT -
A heat advisory is now in effect for all of SE Michigan, which means the heat and humidity is getting more and more dangerous and is not going away anytime soon.

In fact, it’s a 36-hour heat advisory carrying through today, tonight, and all day tomorrow.

Highs will be in the low to mid 90s with heat indices in the triple digits...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weath...day/-/1719236/20994670/-/wit3u3z/-/index.html

One more day of dangerous heat today

Excessive Heat Warning continues through 8pm

Published On: Jul 19 2013 04:56:58 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 19 2013 06:30:01 AM EDT

DETROIT -
One more day of dangerous heat today as the Excessive Heat Warning continues through 8pm this evening. Highs will hit the low to mid 90s and with high humidity levels, we’ll see 100 to 105 degree heat index temperatures. That heat will spark a few soaking thundershowers through the early afternoon...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weath...day/-/1719236/21057286/-/4d9fybz/-/index.html

We are in the 90's with heat index almost 100. Can't walk on the patio bricks barefoot without burning your feet. Put 3-4 inches of water in the dog pool, so when they go outside and get heated dogs can jump in pool and cool off. Dog pool keeps getting way too hot. Dogs spending most of the time indoors.

Supposed to get some rain and a little relief....however the rain relief usually turns into excess humidity.

Wahhhhhh! I think our nice days are gone for the rest of the summer.

The intense heat here in MI is supposed to break after tonight's storms, I think. Thank goodness - being without air conditioning at home has made for a long couple of weeks now.

Ok who complained about it being too cold in the winter?

Whenever it gets hot like this, I always think it is God's way of retribution for us complaining about how cold it is in winter. (Or maybe it is the reverse, and the more we complain about the heat the colder it will be next winter?)

It is worrying me some. When it is this hot, that means when the storms come they will have access to a lot of energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member