Defense May Have To Re-File Motion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they did have to re-file, would they still make the ten day filing deadline?

*thinks wishfully*

Well, this is strange. I just checked the State of Florida notary registrations and it appears that J. Cheney Mason's notary commission doesn't expire until 2013. It was renewed on 11/21/09. Perhaps he inadvertently used his old seal? Or I have the wrong J. Cheney Mason?

http://notaries.dos.state.fl.us/notidsearch.asp?id=350371

Commission Detail
Notary ID: 350371
Last Name: Mason
First Name: J.
Middle Name: Cheney
Birth Date: 12/12/43
Transaction Type: REN
Certificate: DD 920306
Issue Date: 11/21/09
Expire Date: 11/20/13
Bonding Agency: Western Surety Company - Southeast Team
Mailing Address: Longwood, FL 32779-0000

It was a good catch. :)

But apparently his Notary Commission was renewed with the State. JMO, he used the old seal. Perhaps for that reason the motion would have to be refiled?

Just what you need from an Atty that is defending your life, huh?
Someone who does not pay attention to detail in a legal motion.... :innocent:

why on earth would a notary have their old seal laying around on their desk after they've renewed and received their new stamper??

That was a great catch Sun!
Could this circus get any better?

For more fun....hop over to the thread on this motion where there is discussion about the signatures between the one provided to Ch13 and the one filed with the court not matching.

why on earth would a notary have their old seal laying around on their desk after they've renewed and received their new stamper??

I'm a notary and I had to get my seal from an office supply company... I would assume most states are the same - you don't get your seal from them but rather have it made yourself. It's possible he forgot to get a new one.

I'm a notary and I had to get my seal from an office supply company... I would assume most states are the same - you don't get your seal from them but rather have it made yourself. It's possible he forgot to get a new one.

I also am a notary. There was some discussion on this or another related thread that his notary certificate HAD been renewed some time ago and that he has a seal with the proper current date on it. So I am just curious as to why even still have the old outdated one laying around.

I'm also a Notary. I'm also very lazy. I have two expired seals sitting in the same desk drawer as my current seal. I don't want to throw them away and I haven't found a box to shove them into the garage. Lazy.

I really like this judge and I do not want him to step down. His record is impressive and he is above reproach imo. If he does, I expect it to be immediately.

Clearly the defense wants to deflect attention away from the civil trial looming, Jose passing letters in jail, Todd putting 70K in the trust account, and they are totally let down that the TES records request was denied. I trust they know more bar complaints have been or will be filed against members of the team.

The bad facts of the case remain regardless of who sits at the defense table, or what motions they file.

Once the repeated requests for the TES comprehensive 4K records got shot down, I knew the defense was going to try something , desperate even; because, that shoots down what looked like their last hope, to help the jury infer the body was put there after Casey was jailed.

Some of what they argued in their motion can be rejected straight away, because it is too remote in time. For example they brought up that the judge filed a bar complaint against Jose. Now that is when I thought they could have asked for him to step down. That was so long ago and all we heard from the defense was crickets. My understanding is that they have a finite amount of time to ask for the judge to step down, within days, from the time of the alleged offense. The same is true for their arguments over the judge saying "The truth and Miss Anthony are strangers". That was what... two years ago?
So them mentioning those things in their motion, is the epitome of moot,imo.

Mr. Cheney inadvertently using his older rather than new notary stamp, I do not expect to have any consequence, whatsoever. The important thing to focus on in Mr. Sheaffer's remarks, imo, is that this would simply mean the defense will be asked to correct that, and refile. The cure for this error would be simple and swift. Indeed I would expect that a corrected document would be filed this morning by the defense.

The judge has even let lawyers speak in open court when their pro hac vice documents are not even filed of record yes, so I do not think he will hang his hat on this small , easily remedied mistake.
Thinking of this pro hac vice reminds me just how very courteous, overly generous and patient the judge has been with the defense. The next judge should there be one, will not afford them these extensive measures is my guess. This really was the biggest mistake they could have made. No matter how it pans out...the defense is now going to have to step up and be prepared and professional. Wont that be a neat trick?!

I agree there is much to laugh at with the defense team. Since the defense is notorious for their sundry mistakes in their motions and often mocked publicly over it , one would think anyone new to the team would proofread, proofread, proofread before signing his name to any documents. Yet, we have more errors.

You just can't make this stuff up.

C. Mason must have been having too much "fun", not paying attention, and grabbed the wrong stamp. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

r

I really like this judge and I do not want him to step down. His record is impressive and he is above reproach imo. If he does, I expect it to be immediately.

Clearly the defense wants to deflect attention away from the civil trial looming, Jose passing letters in jail, Todd putting 70K in the trust account, and they are totally let down that the TES records request was denied. I trust they know more bar complaints have been or will be filed against members of the team.

The bad facts of the case remain regardless of who sits at the defense table, or what motions they file.

Once the TES comprehensive 4K records got shot down, I knew the defense was going to try something , desperate even; because, that shoots down what looked like their last hope, to help the jury infer the body was put there after Casey was jailed.

Some of what they argued in their motion can be rejected straight away, because it is too remote in time. For example they brought up that the judge filed a bar complaint against Jose. Now that is when I thought they could have asked for him to step down. That was sooooo long ago and all we heard from the defense was crickets. My understanding is that they have a finite amount of time to ask for the judge to step down within 30 days ( or possibly even less time) from the time of the alleged offense. The same is true for their arguments over the judge saying "The truth and Miss Anthony are strangers". That was what... two years ago?
So them mentioning those things in their motion, is the epitome of moot,imo.

Mr. Cheney inadvertently using his older rather than new notary stamp, I do not expect to have any consequence, whatsoever. The important thing to focus on in Mr. Sheaffer's remarks, imo, is that this would simply mean the defense will be asked to correct that, and refile. The cure for this error would be simple and swift. Indeed I would expect that a corrected document would be filed this morning by the defense.

The judge has even let lawyers speak in open court when their pro hac vice documents are not even filed of record yes, so I do not think he will hang his hat on this small , easily remedied mistake.
In fact thinking of this pro hac vice reminds me just how very courteous, overly generous and patient the judge has been with the defense. The next judge should there be one, will not afford them these extensive measures is my guess. This really was the biggest mistake they could have made. No matter how it pans out...the defense is now going to have to step up and be prepared and professional. Wont that be a neat trick?!

What they really want the spotlight off is the Maya Derkovic interview.
So how's that working out for you Jose?
These Defense attorneys are not the brightest are they? So transparent.
They should never play Poker.....

To have filed this ONCE is such a disgrace, to file it again? Plain old ignorance. There is nothing good for anyone at the end of this lightning bolt. No good for the judge, no good for the state, no good for the defense, and certainly no good for Inmate Anthony. If it is dismissed for some kind of error or shortcoming, they should just let it fade away and hope it will be forgotten.

What things most of us would be humiliated by, having our work in the public, replete with errors....doesn't seem to register as a problem to the defense. It never has and does not today. Even now. Someone said one , these defense documents are the most lazy, complacent sorry excuse for legal documents they have ever seen. If a law student were to turn in documents wrong on the facts, wrong on the law and poorly prepared he or she could certainly expect a failing grade. It is not acceptable. It certainly does not serve their client. It doesn't get them respect from their peers. It is like they rather phone it in, with little or no effort and could not care less if their documents are legally sufficient. To me that speaks volumes, that they appear to be resigned to the fate that they have no hope of winning this case. They have a very simple, relatively uneducated client who doesn't understand the pattern here.
Refiling the motion is the least of their worries!!!

They have run out of some other dudes...so now what? I imagine a lot of nervous hand wringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member