Nepal - Aubrey Sacco, 23, Langtang, 20 April 2010 *Arrest*

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122096637808141

AUBREY SACCO, age 23, is MISSING in NEPAL. She took a bus from Kathmandu to SYABRUBESI on April 19, and began the 7-8 day LANGTANG trek in the Himalayas on April 20. She planned to follow the Lonely Planet guide. She should have returned to Kathmandu between April 30-May 1. We have not heard from her since she began the trek. She is trekking ALONE. Nepali agencies are working on this, including the US Embassy.

An American trekker who had come to Nepal in April for trekking in Langtang region has gone missing for over a week.

aubrey%20sacco.jpg

Aubrey Sacco, 23, resident of Colorado, USA had set out for a trek to Langtang on April 18.

According to her parents Paul and Connie Sacco, she was scheduled to return to Shyabrubesi on April 30, but she has not contacted her parents and friends.

“Although the strikes in Nepal could have prevented her from contacting us, we are very concerned now as she is already 9 days late from her trek departure date,” her father Paul Sacco told Nepalnews over the phone. “We request all hikers, hoteliers, trekking guides and others to inform us if they spotted our daughter anywhere at this time.”

Her parents said, they received an email from Aubrey from Shyabrubesi last on April 20 and have not heard from her since. Sacco couple can be contacted at saccolaw@gmail.com

http://www.nepalnews.com/main/index...l/5946-american-trekker-missing-in-nepal.html

from looking at the facebook comments, it seems that there are locals who are trying to look out for her and gather information from stops along the way (how accurate they are, who really knows...) But there is also a man who is willing to use his organization to help pay for anything that Aubrey needs, a room for the night, a vehicle, and even transportation to the airport if necessary. Her father is also leaving for Nepal, and there are also other trekkers from around the world keeping an eye out for Aubrey.

Checking out different trekking boards and a couple of news article with comments, most say that Nepal is a very safe place, even for a woman alone, and the most dangerous part is actually the bus ride out! (However, it's not even that violent, they stop the buses and force "donations" and most of the time they give you a receipt for the "donation" so you don't even have to pay twice if your bus gets stopped again!) The villages along the trek routes know the value of tourism, and go out of their way to help trekkers.

I hope Aubrey is found soon!!

bumping for Aubrey. I'm so glad locals are helping search for her! Come home safely Aubrey!

I saw this article and am very glad the thread has been started for her. Mister nursebeeme and I are currently hosting an officer family from Nepal over the last year and have learned quite a bit about the culture.

I will talk to them and see what they have to say about the park/area/trek.

Ok... just talked to my friend who is from Nepal. The minute I told her the Langtang area she said, "oh I am so sorry"...

She said that it is a mountainous area and "bodies have been found there" from people hiking the area. She said it has a history of taking hikers. She also said that many of the missing (locally from Nepal) in the Langtang area "have not come back yet." When I told her that she was alone hiking my friend couldn't believe it. She said she, at the least, should have hired a local guide or went with a friend.

Just wanted to pass this boots on the ground opinion on.

I can't believe she'd go on that long a hike alone. That is asking for disaster. There's no shortage of missing persons stories that turn into tragic deaths because something happened and the hiker couldn't get help.

I wonder if she had something like a Spot Device for tracking. I know that's what hikers use for the Pacific Crest Trail (2650 miles Mexico to Canada), Continental Divide, and Appalachian Trails, as many hike it at least largely alone, just periodically meeting up with other hikers. We relied on that tremendously when a family member was hiking the PCT - it allowed us to constantly see where that person was, and it allowed them to send a message if they needed to ("ok" or whatever with a location) OR send an urgent message that would get LE involved in case of injury or something - always with GPS coordinates.

I wonder if she had something like a Spot Device for tracking. I know that's what hikers use for the Pacific Crest Trail (2650 miles Mexico to Canada), Continental Divide, and Appalachian Trails, as many hike it at least largely alone, just periodically meeting up with other hikers. We relied on that tremendously when a family member was hiking the PCT - it allowed us to constantly see where that person was, and it allowed them to send a message if they needed to ("ok" or whatever with a location) OR send an urgent message that would get LE involved in case of injury or something - always with GPS coordinates.

It looks like Spot has poor coverage for Nepal: "REDUCED OR NO COVERAGE AVAILABLE WITHIN A 20 MINUTE PERIOD."

Coverage map link:
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=109
coveragemap_nolegend.jpg

It looks like Spot has poor coverage for Nepal: "REDUCED OR NO COVERAGE AVAILABLE WITHIN A 20 MINUTE PERIOD."

Coverage map link:
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=109
coveragemap_nolegend.jpg

Sorry, I should have been more clear...

I just questioned if she was using a Spot or similar type of device.

Though I realize that there are some places where reception/coverage is limited or non-existent, as we found that as well, with our family member, having some sort of similar type device would at least give some indication as to whether she had still been making forward progress or the general area where she was last known to be in - anything a bit more specific than on region and a particular trail.

That's why I was questioning whether she might have something similar, even if it couldn't do the every few minute tracking that some devices can in their prime locations, something that gave a signal even every 6-12-24 hours or so would give a better starting point in instances where we have hikers or trekkers missing.

As I mentioned in my original post, Aubrey is a talented and amazing young lady. Here is her personal website. Absolutely amazing how touching her art and words can be, even through the distance of the internet.
Come home soon, Aubrey. http://www.aubreysacco.com/acs/home.html

from her Facebook page -

UPDATE: Aubrey did not get on her flight. The search intensifies. Thank you to all of those who are following and sending positive energy and prayer. We are starting a ribbon campaign, tie a brightly colored ribbon to a tree in your front yard. Let's brighten the world with glitter and lead Aubrey home!

Aubrey's return flight from Nepal was supposed to have been today. Some family members are leaving for Nepal tomorrow.

Greeley Man Heads To Nepal To Find Missing Daughter

DENVER -- A Colorado man whose daughter is overdue from a trek in Nepal is traveling there to try to find her.

Paul Sacco of Greeley had a flight Monday to Nepal. He and his wife haven't heard from their 23-year-old daughter, Aubrey Sacco, since April 20, when she e-mailed plans of hiking alone through Nepal's Langtang region, near the Tibetan border.

She planned to finish around April 30, but while she was in Langtang National Park, protests and strikes demanding the resignation of Nepal's prime minister shut down businesses, transportation and much of the local communication networks. She was supposed to check in after she finished the trek, but never did.

Full article a link:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23577360/detail.html

Praying Aubrey is found safely.

trans.gif

Let's hope that she is sick and staying at someone's home.

In the book Three Cups of Tea, the author got lost and sick and ended up being taken care of some villagers in a remote part of Pakistan.

I am hoping.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23623999/detail.html

more about the missing laptop and journal... this is very strange...

if she continued to trek on from that point she would have taken her things

I wonder if this hotel was at the start, middle, or end of the trek? Would be nice to know the location

Paul did GO to the hotel where Aubrey had her things in storage. We new that they were there, she could NOT take them on the trek with her.She had to rent a back pack. So Paul went to pick them up!! He did NOT find them as the stated in some of the news reports.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122096637808141&v=wall&ref=mf

eta: so this was most likely the hotel at the start of the trek

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson