UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotta' say, though, I'm really sick of NG covering all these celebrity stories. There are missing people out there and unsolved crimes. I don't care about Tiger Woods or Charlie Sheen. All those celebs have top-notch lawyers and agents to help them. Us common folk need the media to give our cases the attention they need.
gitana1, early last week I e-mailed Nancy Grace and told her, "While I too am fascinated by the lifestyles of the rich and famous, you have spent the first 45 minutes of your show tonight dedicated to an adulterer and his adulteresses, and meanwhile the body of a mom of two toddlers is very likely buried in a snowbank somewhere in Utah, and she needs to be found."

I got an automated response that in so many words stated that Nancy Grace covers what people are interested in seeing. So to me they are acknowledging that her show has devolved to pander to the lowest common denominator, and is essentially the TV version of the Star Examiner and those other supermarket sensationalist rags that are only fit to line your bird cage with. Sad, because I believe she is intelligent.

Thanks, Dwight. It is sad. I used to watch her show a lot but lately, not much at all. it's really becoming tabloid journalism, like TMZ or the Enquirer. I guess that's what the public wants but she's definitely going to lose viewers, I think.
You know, I read about celebrities too. I read People a lot. It's interesting sometimes. But that's not why I tune into a crime show, especially when it is supposed to be a victim advocate show. So much for justice, now it's all about ratings!

I just saw JVM Issues. In the clip of this controlling husband, I noticed him walking and carrying the boy. He makes a horrible ugly angry face while saying something very brief. I could tell that he was talking to someone behind him but not sure if he was directing it towards the other little boy walking or the gray haired lady. I'd hate to be controlled by that ugly face he made. He looks much too skinny and wimpy to have been out lifting logs or doing any major hiking or digging. He could have taken Susan out, drugged and ill, and driven her to some remote area and left her to hypothermia. Maybe someone saw something. The rental car and all the miles is the clue or else he went in the opposite direction to throw LE off.

Agreed! I had the same thought about Susan being drugged and left out to the elements to do their work....

This stuff about tiptoeing around Josh needs to stop. He's not going to cozy up to any of Susans friends and confess! He's probably sitting back, ROFL at the idea being put out there that Susan what?? Left on her own...is out of state?? Lets him off the hook. That she was kidnapped and taken out of state?? Again, puts him in the clear.

I don't get it. Why is Josh being protected?? Or...is there really a feeling among her friends that Susan did, indeed, just get fed up and leave?

Random thought:

I've been thinking about how there's been no push by LE or friends/family of Susan to get pics/info of Josh's van out there. No clear description, no photos, no anything. I think there's a definite reason behind it. I just wish I could figure out what that reason is.

Random thought:

I've been thinking about how there's been no push by LE or friends/family of Susan to get pics/info of Josh's van out there. No clear description, no photos, no anything. I think there's a definite reason behind it. I just wish I could figure out what that reason is.

Exactly! What's going on?? :waitasec:

This stuff about tiptoeing around Josh needs to stop. He's not going to cozy up to any of Susans friends and confess! He's probably sitting back, ROFL at the idea being put out there that Susan what?? Left on her own...is out of state?? Lets him off the hook. That she was kidnapped and taken out of state?? Again, puts him in the clear.

I don't get it. Why is Josh being protected?? Or...is there really a feeling among her friends that Susan did, indeed, just get fed up and leave?

I think LE is behind a lot more of this than anyone realizes. The attitude of family/close friends seems to waiver, but always around the same time and always the same way. I personally feel LE is coaching them on how to act based on what they feel at that particular time will further the investigation.

If anyone has ever helped with or been part of an extensive police investigation, it would be very helpful to know what types of things go on behind the scenes.

If LE is running this, then all I can see is they don't want anything negative said about Josh and don't want pics or descriptions of his van out there.

I still wonder whether the tiptoeing is to lure JP into a false sense of security/not to scare him into doing something stupid and the the LE is just collecting enough evidence to arrest him. Last thing LE needs is to arrest him and not have enough evidence against him. They need to be 100% certain they've got him.

Hi everyone, have not been here much, taking care of my 2 year old grandson for two weeks, and have not had much time.
I totally agree with those here who have protested Nancy Grace and her "new" tabloid show. I am so disappointed in her the last few months, and have not been watching. Don't care about Tiger or Charlie Sheen.
I care about missing/murdered people and unsolved cases. In my fantasies I believe that possibly, somehow, somewhere, a difference can be made if people put their heads together and share opinions and thoughts about these cases.
I am a bit taken aback at how long Susan has been gone with no real publicized facts regarding her disappearance and its relationship to the actions of her husband Josh.
I still believe that the only way we will know what happened to the mother of two little boys is when JP cracks or pleas a deal to reveal where the body is.
Either that or when her body is found - and due to the vast wilderness and weather conditions, seems unlikely anytime soon.
Poor children who have had to be without their loving mother due to selfish, controlling, and abusive behavior of their father, who cares only about his needs.
May God bless these boys, they will need much support and love from family and friends.
Just kind of wanted to check in the last few pages to see if there is any breaking news - I have been listening to network news, so I did know the case is still pending.
Too bad NG finds tabloid info more important than a missing mother.:iamashamed0005:

Thanks, Dwight. It is sad. I used to watch her show a lot but lately, not much at all. it's really becoming tabloid journalism, like TMZ or the Enquirer. I guess that's what the public wants but she's definitely going to lose viewers, I think.
You know, I read about celebrities too. I read People a lot. It's interesting sometimes. But that's not why I tune into a crime show, especially when it is supposed to be a victim advocate show. So much for justice, now it's all about ratings!

Exactly. I think she's all about the money (ratings) now. And I really do not have anything against reading about celebrities either, esp if it's a fav actress or something, but I was hoping Nancy would sense my sarcasm when I wrote her that I am "fascinated" by the rich and famous, because really that's all Tiger is to me, since I don't give a hoot about golf.

Random thought:

JennaLee, I think you are right. I think the reason is because they are hoping he revisits the dump site, and they want him to use the vehicle that they know is his so they can follow it (they should have a bug transmitter on it; that's been done before).

BTW I am brand-new to WS. Have read most of the five Susan P. threads, skimmed some earlier ones to catch up the last couple nights. There is an old saying that I think is very applicable to JP: "If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck."

In the last couple of years I have watched every true-crime murder mystery episode I find on the cable channels, from "American Justice" hosted by Bill Kurtis (my fav), to "48 hours Mystery", "Forensic Files", "Cold Case Files", etc. There are elements from many of these past murder investigations that make JP look so guilty it's not even funny. As someone has already said here, this is a text-book case of "when hubby snapped."

But the biggest issue I think the police have to deal with is THEY HAVE NO BODY! So they can't even say it's a murder investigation! All they can do is say they "suspect foul play." I recall two cases that bear POSSIBLE similarities. One was the murder of a prominent attorney by her husband (from a city in the south USA). They never could find her body! Finally, years later, they finally convicted the husband, and here is how: The husband's father confessed to driving south to meet his son, taking the body of the wife, and he stashed it in a branch pile of a logging operation, where it was shortly burned along with the branch pile. Pray that's not what happened here. They have to be able to present evidence to a jury that convinces them "beyond a reasonable doubt", as everyone knows. And sometimes it's just better to wait for the better evidence than to jump the gun prematurely on flimsy circumstantial evidence (we all know what defense attorneys will do to explain everything away.)

In another case in the northeast USA, the husband confessed to disposing of the dismembered torso of his wife by pushing it in a sled through the snow (it actually got away from him and he had to run after it). But he simply pushed the sled into some undergrowth. A week or so later he went back and dug a shallow grave so the remains wouldn't be found after the snow melted. Other wife-murderers have also been found out because they went back to check on the burial site to make sure it hadn't been disturbed, or to look again at how well it blended in, etc. Suffice to say that JP needs to be closely monitored.

The lack of progress is frustrating to perfect strangers of SP, so all of her family, friends and even acquaintances have my most heartfelt sympathy. We could be in for a long wait for justice.

Thank you for your whole post. I bolded the comments I think are especially important. I agree with your thoughts.

I have not spoken to LE about what I know regarding their relationship because what I know is known by a few other people who knew them better and they have already spoken to LE all about that. So there is no need for me to speak to them. If it would help them I certainly would, but I don't know more than what others have already told them.

There are articles out there discussing how Josh was controlling, controlled the money that SHE made, controlled what groceries were bought or not bought, what she was allowed to eat, what she was allowed to do. She would go out and work and be away from her kids even though she didn't want to, and the money she made was put into the joint account for a long time and he would be the one who decided what they did with the money. She didn't really have a say. Just lots of things like that. The only reason I mention them now is because they have already been mentioned by other people and have been published in articles. He didn't really help her with anything around the house, expected her to do it all.

OKand3J's I have read before where it was said he controlled what she ate. Could you explain a little bit about this? What could she eat and what things could she not eat? Did he also control what the children could eat also or was it just Susan? Also, if there were certain things she was not allowed to have, did he follow the same rules?

VB

I've gotta' say, though, I'm really sick of NG covering all these celebrity stories. There are missing people out there and unsolved crimes. I don't care about Tiger Woods or Charlie Sheen. All those celebs have top-notch lawyers and agents to help them. Us common folk need the media to give our cases the attention they need.

Really tired of it too. And a lot of times her info is wrong!!

I watched all of Issues and NO ONE is for Josh. It's nice to see the experts back us regular people up. Her "best friend" was on again talking about the social networking push, she still wouldn't say anything about Josh or the car. Jane was very careful to tiptoe around the POI vs. suspect thing. One lady called in and said he buried her out there. Jane had to jump in on that one.

Sorry if this was covered but I don't have time to read, rarely post and just wanted to mention this.

Hoping this loser is arrested soon and Susan is found.

Hey all,

Was at the gym thinking....Have cops talked to the kids? I know they are young (I think maybe 4&2 or younger?) I'm not sure you can get a whole lot of out them... but as a kindergarten teacher I definitely get a lot of my students who just start talking to me about stuff at home when they are engrossed in play/feel comfortable etc. Ex: "Mommy and Daddy were yelling last night about bills. What's a bill?". One time I had a student ask me how to write a Valentines to Sugar Pie. When I asked who it was, he said that is his mom's name, since that's what his dad always calls her instead of Mommy :)

Anyway, have kids seen Susan's parents at all or LE? Might be worthwhile to have them talk to child psychologists etc. Children are WAY more perceptive than we give them credit for sometimes.

The Coxes were able to see the boys on Sunday according to this am's (Mon. 1/4) SLTrib article:

Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, saw their son-in-law in Puyallup, Wash. on Sunday afternoon. Josh Powell, who has been staying with his father in Puyallup, brought his 2- and 4-year-old sons to the Cox home for a visit.

Chuck Cox said Monday he spoke only briefly with Josh Powell when he dropped off the boys.

"I said, 'If you know anything, please contact the police,' " said Chuck Cox, who had requested to see his grandchildren.

It was unclear whether Josh Powell planned to return to the couple's West Valley City home. An attorney representing him could not be reached for comment Monday.

(cont'd at link)

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14121077

:parrot:

gitana1, early last week I e-mailed Nancy Grace and told her, "While I too am fascinated by the lifestyles of the rich and famous, you have spent the first 45 minutes of your show tonight dedicated to an adulterer and his adulteresses, and meanwhile the body of a mom of two toddlers is very likely buried in a snowbank somewhere in Utah, and she needs to be found."

I got an automated response that in so many words stated that Nancy Grace covers what people are interested in seeing. So to me they are acknowledging that her show has devolved to pander to the lowest common denominator, and is essentially the TV version of the Star Examiner and those other supermarket sensationalist rags that are only fit to line your bird cage with. Sad, because I believe she is intelligent.

(bbm) Oh no, not *this* cage you don't... :snooty: there had better be some honest to goodness investigative journalism lining mine lolol... j/k ;) Welcome aboard Dwight!

2sgn056welcometrain.gif

JennaLee, I think you are right. I think the reason is because they are hoping he revisits the dump site, and they want him to use the vehicle that they know is his so they can follow it (they should have a bug transmitter on it; that's been done before).

BTW I am brand-new to WS. Have read most of the five Susan P. threads, skimmed some earlier ones to catch up the last couple nights. There is an old saying that I think is very applicable to JP: "If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck."

In the last couple of years I have watched every true-crime murder mystery episode I find on the cable channels, from "American Justice" hosted by Bill Kurtis (my fav), to "48 hours Mystery", "Forensic Files", "Cold Case Files", etc. There are elements from many of these past murder investigations that make JP look so guilty it's not even funny. As someone has already said here, this is a text-book case of "when hubby snapped."

But the biggest issue I think the police have to deal with is THEY HAVE NO BODY! So they can't even say it's a murder investigation! All they can do is say they "suspect foul play." I recall two cases that bear POSSIBLE similarities. One was the murder of a prominent attorney by her husband (from a city in the south USA). They never could find her body! Finally, years later, they finally convicted the husband, and here is how: The husband's father confessed to driving south to meet his son, taking the body of the wife, and he stashed it in a branch pile of a logging operation, where it was shortly burned along with the branch pile. Pray that's not what happened here. They have to be able to present evidence to a jury that convinces them "beyond a reasonable doubt", as everyone knows. And sometimes it's just better to wait for the better evidence than to jump the gun prematurely on flimsy circumstantial evidence (we all know what defense attorneys will do to explain everything away.)

In another case in the northeast USA, the husband confessed to disposing of the dismembered torso of his wife by pushing it in a sled through the snow (it actually got away from him and he had to run after it). But he simply pushed the sled into some undergrowth. A week or so later he went back and dug a shallow grave so the remains wouldn't be found after the snow melted. Other wife-murderers have also been found out because they went back to check on the burial site to make sure it hadn't been disturbed, or to look again at how well it blended in, etc. Suffice to say that JP needs to be closely monitored.

The lack of progress is frustrating to perfect strangers of SP, so all of her family, friends and even acquaintances have my most heartfelt sympathy. We could be in for a long wait for justice.

(bbm) Agree w everything you've stated here, including speculation re LE's approach--and those cases really are eerily plausible scenarios, uncannily similar to my own theories--father meeting son part way to transfer the body is exactly what I've been saying likely occurred! :eek: (Of course I've been watching all the same true crime shows for years too lol... 48 Hours & FF etc, wow can't believe I missed any episodes... and I thought I was the only obsessed one lol). Let's just pray JP and daddy haven't been watching these too and picked up some pointers. :rolleyes: Again, very glad you could join us!!

Agree 100%, What is up with Nancy? This is really a far cry from what she normally does. The Tiger story is cool and almost cold. Sheen is the typical celeb domestic story . . . What about Susan? Today was the day of the national blitz. Don't get it.

Something must be going on with the programing department of her show.

Don't know if their ratings took a hit and so they are trying to cover more celeb stories or what but something is going on behind the scenes of that show. No doubt.

Let's hope tomorrow she covers Susan. Maybe by then we will have some new tips.

OK....I now have the ribbon instead of Michael's cute little smiling face (the good news is that his face was really not burnt , his poor body was)

Not only NG...but last year Greta V made her big change in the New Year...from Jan 2009 on she turned her focus to politics

I hope Nancy is not doing the same sort of New Year, New Topics switch?? Maybe Nancy is trying to compete with the TRZ /tabloid stuff??

I changed my avatar to show support for Susan, her precious little boys, and the Cox family. These are the victims of Susan's horrible disappearance. These are the people who love her the most.

I hope there will be the flyer or utube video showing Josh in his woolen cap and the van. Someone, somewhere, had to have seen something. I want to see Josh brought down for this, and I mean brought down hard when he least expects it.

I agree with all about Nancy G. and her celebrity tabloid show. I would much rather that sneer of contempt she has on her face most of the time be directed at Josh and people like him.

I would rather watch JVM (without her gavel) because she is fierce on criminals. She is like a pit bull with a bone and says what she really thinks.

Meanwhile, I do agree that Susan's case needs to be kept in the media spotlight and hopefully, Josh will have no peace. I hope he is constantly looking over his soulder wondering just when the cuffs will be slapped on his wrists.

WHERE did Josh put Susan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member