Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to point out how they are on the coast line and near a major fault line(intersecting ones ever) A tsunami is something IMO they should have been prepared for How ever big the surge of water after however huge the earthquake. They were not prepared for what their own geographic climate called for, it seems. This should have been considered in the planning of the nuke plant. Hindsight is 20/20 but common sence can forsee.

They have them built in to take tsunamis, but not of this magnitude. But from this they will from now on.

I can assure you, and I am no one, that US plants are inspected completely inside and out during every refueling outage, approx every 18 months. These plants are designed to withstand an earthquake. When a large wave of water comes in and wipes out all of your back-up power supplies, there is a problem. This plant withstood the earthquake, the backup power kicked on immediately. The tsunami is what caused the problems.

Yes, we know that. (bold) My beef is with the US peeps saying "we're safe for any contingency". It's their blase' attitude that's disturbing. My point is Japan thought they were safe against "any contingency", too. No one is ever completely safe against unforeseen odds.

Elite Japan nuclear workers race to stop meltdown

FUKUSHIMA, Japan – They risk explosions, fire and an invisible enemy — radiation that could kill quickly or decades later — as they race to avert disaster inside a dark, overheated nuclear plant.

The 180 emergency workers at Japan's crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi complex are emerging as public heroes in the wake of a disaster spawned by an earthquake and a tsunami.

Dubbed by some as modern-day samurai, the technicians were ordered back to work late Wednesday after a surge of radiation forced them to leave their posts for hours.

"I don't know any other way to say it, but this is like suicide fighters in a war," said Keiichi Nakagawa, associate professor of the Department of Radiology at the University of Tokyo Hospital.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/16/elite-japan-nuclear-workers-race-stop-meltdown-739745804/

There are no more than 3 units in one location in the US and they are not in danger of tsunami.

you don't think the one in San Onofre could be hit by a Tsunami? The ocean and the plant arethisclose to each other, it is set just like the one in Japan

WASHINGTON — The chairman of the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission gave a significantly bleaker appraisal of the threat posed by Japan’s nuclear crisis than the Japanese government, saying on Wednesday that the damage at one crippled reactor was much more serious than Japanese officials had acknowledged and advising to Americans to evacuate a wider area around the plant than the perimeter established by Japan.

and

The Japanese authorities have never been as specific as Mr. Jascko was in his testimony about the situation at reactor No. 4, where they have been battling fires for more than 24 hours. It is possible the authorities there disagree with Mr. Jascko’s conclusion about the exposure of the spent fuel, or that they have chosen not to discuss the matter for fear of panicking people.

Experts say workers at the plant probably could not approach a fuel pool that was dry, because radiation levels would be so high. In a normally operating pool, the water provides not only cooling but also shields workers from gamma radiation. A plan to dump water into the pool, and others like it, from helicopters was suspended because the crews would be flying right into a radioactive plume.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/world/asia/17nuclear.html?_r=1&hp

Much more worth reading at link...

Yes, we know that. (bold) My beef is with the US peeps saying "we're safe for any contingency". It's their blase' attitude that's disturbing. My point is Japan thought they were safe against "any contingency", too. No one is ever completely safe against unforeseen odds.

I know what you are saying, and they are being quite brash. "We are safe. We have played out many possible scenarios. We know the we can withstand hurricanes and tornados and widespread flooding. We can withstand an earthquake." would have been better.

"Our seawalls are X feet tall. We don't forsee a 300 ft wall of water whacking into the plants, thus we have not played with that contingency."

The seawall at this plant was 11 ft. The wave that took it out was much larger than that.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be snarky. I just can not see the point of condemning all nuclear power because of this incident. Why did they allow 6 reactors at one spot, and 4 more less than 10 miles away? I don't have those answers.

Scary question. If one reactor explodes, would they all explode?

I have to go to work...I hope it's not too much to pray that they figure something out before I get home, so that when I get home, it'll all be over. Hey, I'm allowed some wishful thinking...

you don't think the one in San Onofre could be hit by a Tsunami? The ocean and the plant arethisclose to each other, it is set just like the one in Japan

Wonder if they ever had the mock scenario of 6 or more reactors going bad at once, all in one location? (In a location where a 9.0 earthquake and a tsunami just ripped the hello outta the infrastructure?)

j.r.k.,

The response you quoted was in relation to a 9.0 earthquake, tsunami and 6 reactors scenario.

San Onofre is 2 of 4 reactors along the entire west coast.

Scary question. If one reactor explodes, would they all explode?

Because each of the six reactors are being "stabilized" by human intervention... I have to imagine they would. jmo

j.r.k.,

The response you quoted was in relation to a 9.0 earthquake, tsunami and 6 reactors scenario.

San Onofre is 2 of 4 reactors along the entire west coast.

OK, but I'm not concerned about how many reactors there are, what I'm concerned about a similair scenario (EQ, Tsunami) I understand none of our (U.S.) plants have as many reactors so it could never be as dire BUT COULD the same thing happen here?

I know.. except about the governor thingy.. which was just weird and out of place if you ask me... which no one did ;)

all we have is the guardian now

8.21pm: More on the comments on the Fukushima nuclear plant by Greg Jaczko, chairman of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, to a congressional committee in Washington:

We believe at this point that Unit 4 may have lost a significant inventory, if not lost all, of its water.... There is no water in the spent fuel pool and we believe that radiation levels are extremely high, which could possibly impact the ability to take corrective measures.

Jaczko also said there was the possibility of a leak in the spent fuel pool in reactor No 3, "which could lead to a loss of water in that pool", as well as a falling water level in the spent fuel level at the No 2 reactor.

According to Reuters, Jaczko said radiation levels around the site could give emergency workers "lethal doses" of radiation, forcing them to stay away:

"We believe that around the reactor site there are high levels of radiation," Jaczko said. "It would be very difficult for emergency workers to get near the reactors. The doses they could experience would potentially be lethal doses in a very short period of time."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/16/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath-live

IAEA Head Warns of Risks as Japanese Flee Tsunami Region

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...of-risks-as-japanese-flee-tsunami-region.html

Excerpt:
Yukiya Amano, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, is flying to Tokyo to talk with authorities today and will return for the meeting as soon as possible, he told reporters in Vienna amid concerns of increased risk of radiation from the crippled Tokyo Electric Power Co. station.

Japan faces a “serious situation,” Amano said. Fuel stored in units 4, 5 and 6 is exposed and releasing radiation, Amano said. Separately, Tepco official Masahisa Otsuku said the No. 2 reactor’s containment vessel may have been breached.

I guess that explains what I thought were typos stating "pools." :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member