GUILTY Dubai - Ibolya Ryan, 47, US teacher, stabbed to death, Abu Dhabi, 1 Dec 2014

zwiebel

Reaction score
An unidentified US kindergarten teacher and mom of 11-year-old twins, has been stabbed to death by a niqab-clad woman in the toilets of a shopping mall in Dubai.

Witnesses say the two had been involved in an argument. CCTV caught the attacker leaving the mall, but her clothing and gloves doesn't give much clue to her identity. The victim's husband is reported to be flying out to the Arab Emirates as he is overseas. The children are currently in the care of local police.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...burqa-clad-woman-knife-attack-mall-Dubai.html

'A woman has died after she was attacked in a public toilet at a mall in Abu Dhabi.

Police said the American mother-of-two was stabbed by a woman with a knife during an incident at the Boutik Mall on Al Reem Island. The attack took place on Monday afternoon.....Colonel Dr Rashid Bourshid said: “No reason has been established yet as to why the woman was murdered. The attacker had fled the scene after stabbing the woman.” '

http://7daysindubai.com/teacher-dies-stabbed-abu-dhabi-mall/

Could it have been a man dressed as a woman? Who would know?

Terrible news.
They haven't arrested anyone yet.
Why they have named him/her a ghost. Surely perp is a person . Likely fanatical jihadist or similar.

Per NBC news
The attack comes just weeks after the U.S. embassies in the Middle East warned citizens of an anonymous posting on a jihadist website encouraging attacks against teachers at American schools in the Middle East.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like perp has the long stride of a man.

Interaction with the security guard is strange. I suppose the perp could have been asking for directions to the bathroom, but I would think that if that were the case, the guard would have pointed in the direction of the bathrooms, and the guard did not do this.

Did the teacher use this particular bathroom every day? Otherwise, I don't see how the teacher could be the target unless someone else guided her there at that particular time.

Kudos to the female bystander for trying to stop the perp from entering the elevator.

Weird that the story title says the woman was killed by a "sharp tool" and in the body of the story, the weapon is described as a knife. A knife is a sharp tool, but that's still odd.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-killed-an-american-teacher-in-abu-dhabi.html

One nearby restaurant worker said she heard the two women arguing in the toilet, giving the first public account that the attacker was another woman.

“Women go to the bathroom together and gossip, talk and argue all the time,” Vithi Cuc told The National. “But then I heard one of them threatening the other saying, ‘Sit down or I’ll kill you.’”

Cuc then said she heard banging sounds in the stall.

This seems very personal to me and not just a random attack. Thoughts?

This seems very personal to me and not just a random attack. Thoughts?

There was a threat against American teachers. Although how did the killer (which I think was a man, not a woman) knew this lady was an American teacher?

Looks like perp has the long stride of a man.

Interaction with the security guard is strange. I suppose the perp could have been asking for directions to the bathroom, but I would think that if that were the case, the guard would have pointed in the direction of the bathrooms, and the guard did not do this.

Did the teacher use this particular bathroom every day? Otherwise, I don't see how the teacher could be the target unless someone else guided her there at that particular time.

Kudos to the female bystander for trying to stop the perp from entering the elevator.

Weird that the story title says the woman was killed by a "sharp tool" and in the body of the story, the weapon is described as a knife. A knife is a sharp tool, but that's still odd.

I agree. It's bizarre. How did the killer know the woman in the bathroom was an American teacher?

The murder weapon was a knife. It was left at the scene. There is a photo of it in the bathroom which is all covered with blood.
The security down there isn't worth a penny. Killer was able to leave using an elevator.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...bi-dreamed-opening-school-friend-says-n261266

The two women taught pre-school together along with other expatriates in an Abu Dhabi government-run school.

"We all became very close," Thiele, who returned to the United States last year, told NBC News Wednesday.

Ryan, affectionately called Ibi by her friends, was a divorced mother of three. Her 11-year-old twin boys lived with her in Abu Dhabi, while a 15-year-old daughter is enrolled in boarding school in Europe, where the children's father lives.

So maybe the killer waited until an American looking person came into the bathroom? I agree, it could very well be a man disguised as a woman.

I don't think the victim would have been the first American looking person to come into the bathroom in 90 minutes. The bathroom is right outside the entrance of a Waitrose grocery store (a British supermarket chain) and near the entrance to a restaurant. I'm pretty sure a lot of ex-pats would be shopping at Waitrose. The perp was the only one in the one minute video who wasn't wearing Western dress. But maybe it took 90 min for the perp to get up his/her nerve.

It's all so puzzling. I still don't see how if this particular woman was the target, how anyone would know she would be using this bathroom at a particular time.

I've considered the fact that the perp might be mentally ill. He/she entered the building so purposefully, like a man on a mission that initially I thought that they knew exactly what they were doing. But if he/she were having delusions, this could also be the case.

Why were the two women in the handicapped stall? Did the woman in the abaya pull the American woman into the stall?

I don't know how many were in the bathroom but the one employee who talked about it said there were three outside the bathroom after the American called for help, with one leaving to get security.

It feels like it has to be random. The killer went straight for the bathroom. Was the victim already in there? I think the victim entered fter the killer was already inside?

This type of crime is a fear for me and my husband when working in Belgium.Brussels has a large muslim community and have arrested many jihadist cells,like the shooting at the Jewish Center.We dress to blend in as Belgians and no American looking clothes,etc.like Dallas Cowboys t-shirts.We will speak little english and when we do people think we are from the UK,they cannot tell the accents.With the current problems between the US and the middle east I do not want to be used as an example of someones political/religious agenda.Do your research before traveling and use caution as you would against fraud or pick pockets.

Perhaps killer followed her, likely some planning involved to target a American looking person.

Most women in UAE are covered, would be difficult to identify the attacker.
A specific threat to American schools in UAE was identified by US embassy just recently.

@AbuDhabipolice via Twitter

CCTV footage of the suspect, dubbed the “Reem Island Ghost”. http://t.co/6NxPYHn6vM

The Ministry of Interior urged the public to call 8002626 to provide any information related to the case http://t.co/6NxPYHn6vM

From this footage it doesnt look like 'ghost' following anybody.
But its also possible 'ghost' had an accomplice. Many European/American looking people in mall, some are tourists, but many foreigners work in UAE, which is oil rich country with booming economy.
I see only one more person/woman wearing Burka or hijab, ref http://i.imgur.com/1cRZyRM.jpg

'Ghost' wore 'Niqab' so she is unrecognisable

Attachments

• ht_ibolya_ryan_headshot_float_lb_141203_16x9_992.jpg
    ht_ibolya_ryan_headshot_float_lb_141203_16x9_992.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 181
'Saif Bin Zayed, minister of the interior for the United Arab Emirates, told a press conference that the "face covered" suspect seen in security footage fleeing the scene of the crime is an Emirati national now in police custody.

The suspected killer is also suspected of planting a bomb outside an American doctor's home in Abu Dhabi, according to police. Investigators allegedly found bomb-making materials at the suspect's home.'

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/woman-held-abu-dhabi-killing-u-s-teacher-ibolya-ryan-n261356

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back