***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brought over from last Thread:

In all actuality, generally accepted statistics show the number of "serial killers" dropping each decade after a peak in the 1980s.

'nutkin, on 09/2005 the definition of serial killer was lowered from 3 victims to only two by the FBI BAU2'. This was done primarily to allow the FBI to assist local LE when the possibility of a SK exists in their jurisdiction, to provide their expertise & resources.
It is estimated that there is between 50 & 100 active serial killers in the US at any given time.
Due to many factors; drugs/meth epidemic, illegal immigration, gang violence, etc. Imo, these FBI estimates are very conservative, as shown by the number of serial killers truckers identified since the FBI Trucker Serial Killer Iniative was established in 2009. There is 100,000+ missing persons in the US. It would be logical to conclude that many of these victims were stranger sexual predator abductions, imo..

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009/april/highwayserial_040609
Highway Serial Killings
New Initiative on an Emerging Trend
04/06/09

In 2004, an analyst from the Oklahoma Bureau of Investigation detected a crime pattern: the bodies of murdered women were being dumped along the Interstate 40 corridor in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

II. Definition of Serial Murder 09/2005
In the past thirty years, multiple definitions of serial murder have been used by law enforcement, clinicians, academia, and researchers. While these definitions do share several common themes, they differ on specific requirements, such as the number of murders involved, the types of motivation, and the temporal aspects of the murders. To address these discrepancies, attendees at the Serial Murder Symposium examined the variations in order to develop a single definition for serial murder.
Previous definitions of serial murder specified a certain number of murders, varying from two to ten victims. This quantitative requirement distinguished a serial murder from other categories of murder (i.e. single, double, or triple murder).
The different discussion groups at the Symposium agreed on a number of similar factors to be included in a definition. These included:
• one or more offenders
• two or more murdered victims
• incidents should be occurring in separate events, at different times
• the time period between murders separates serial murder from mass murder
In combining the various ideas put forth at the Symposium, the following definition was crafted:

* Serial Murder: The unlawful killing of two or more victims by the same offender(s), in separate events.

Behavioral Analysis Unit-2
National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime
Critical Incident Response Group
Federal Bureau of Investigation

I did the same thing-- trying to find a logo that matched what I thought I was seeing on that service box on the side of the truck. If I lived in Lafayette or Lake Charles or wherever, I swear I would be cruising through the parking lots of the plants looking for a logo on a service box. At some point it looks to me like a water cooler sitting on the back right of that truck bed. Pipeline company? Pipeline worker that was staying in Lafayette? That logo is going to drive me crazy thinking about it.:maddening:

I think I see some kind of logo. Looks to me like MnM. In red letters.

Okay: I know what needs to be done. Someone who has PhotoShop needs to grab the photo of the truck which shows the service box on the side. I believe it has three initials for letters centered in the middle. What I need to know is what color those letters are -- they are showing as black and white -- but if you grab that photo, then bring up the levels, perhaps it will help in deciphering what color is on that service box. I believe it will be something like CNG or an oil-related service company. I am thinking that those letters will be dark red, but it is something that PhotoShop can help pan out. Once we get it blown up and a decision is made what color we think it is -- we can begin to search on Lafayette or southern Louisiana companie with logos. It is interesting to me that there are no logos on the doors of the truck, but rather on the service box only. It could be not the logo of the companybut rather an LSU Tiger face or somthing symbolic to the truck owner. But I absolutely thinkn it is worth figuring this out since we don't have a license plate to go with.

There is a local K & M janitorial service that is in red lettering.

Do any of you guys think LE has a suspect/suspects in this case? If so, young, old, one or two.

Some do and some don't. Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy come to mind.

This is a very interesting article on serial killer myths. Read through the whole article:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/profiling/s_k_myths/index.html

(Snipped for space)
QUOTE FROM ARTICLE ABOVE
"The one noticeable similarity with almost all serial killer victims is their short height and low weight. Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue should be the serial killer theme song. These small lightweight victims are easy to attack, easy to beat up, easy to carry or drag, easy to put in the trunk of a car, and easy to dispose of. Big victims are far too much work."

This struck a chord because I'm 5 foot 2. And from memory most of the missing blonde girls we've discussed on here. Victims of circumstance or targeted? :moo: MOO

'Nope, so he just does a media interview..makes sense'..
'Guess, he uses invisible ink, huh'?

Kept Mickeys name in the news without giving us anything new. Has anyone learned anything from his media interview?

Do they fish here?

http://www.trafficland.com/city/LFT/camera/7473/

I-10 @ Ramah
live.jpg

People fish all over the place here...large waterways all the way down to little bayous. Some people sit on the bank of a bayou and fish. There are tons of wetlands here where people fish or where someone could dispose of a body if they wanted to. The bayous also have little runoffs that collect water when it's wet and have just small amounts during the drier weather. These can be found not far out of the city.

There is a great deal of interest. Nothing new, nothing I can bring here. No on-going searches at this point.

Girl, you are going to be so tired tomorrow morning! When you decide to hit the sack, I hope you sleep well! :kiss:

Seriously, her 4th of July will be ruined.:fireworks:

Do any of you guys think LE has a suspect/suspects in this case? If so, young, old, one or two.

I believe they likely do have strong leads/suspect(s). There is a very pointed, emphatic quality to the silence around the case. The quality of the silence also leads me to believe that they think there's some chance she's alive.
This seems like one of these situations where even more patience than usual is going to have to be required. The emotional initial push to find Mickey has made the silence even more deafening, by comparison.

After everything, I still go back to the beginning here. I still believe it is important that someone stoled B's bike and left it in the graveyard. To me, something was going on before MS was taken. The simplest answer is the best. Sure, it could be a random and serial killer, but given the number of people who disappear and who are later accounted for by a random serial killer, it would lead me logically to believe it was not a random serial killer. The next place to look is the last person who saw her or the last place we know she was. Then we have to look at interests of either her or the people she hung out with. We know that she bicycled, rode horses and was a college student in anthropology. But we really don't know about her friends who hung out late at night and rode bicycles across town at 2 a.m. I still find that a little odd. I lived and live in a couple of college towns and that is rare where I lived. I understand the culture may be different in Lafayette. I have a locals question then. If I was at the local Circle K at 2 a.m. on a Saturday night this weekend how many bicyclists would I see? Last year at the same time, on a Saturday night at 2 a.m. -- how many bicyclists would I see? I guess what I am trying to understand is -- I do not believe this was random. I believe the perp was somewhat local. The perp is connected in with either friends or their friends. In my opinion this case will be solved when some other deal goes bad and the perps friends squawk. That is why the case needs to be in the media. Unfortunately I do not believe this case has a happy ending for anyone.

After everything, I still go back to the beginning here. I still believe it is important that someone stoled B's bike and left it in the graveyard. To me, something was going on before MS was taken. The simplest answer is the best. Sure, it could be a random and serial killer, but given the number of people who disappear and who are later accounted for by a random serial killer, it would lead me logically to believe it was not a random serial killer. The next place to look is the last person who saw her or the last place we know she was. Then we have to look at interests of either her or the people she hung out with. We know that she bicycled, rode horses and was a college student in anthropology. But we really don't know about her friends who hung out late at night and rode bicycles across town at 2 a.m. I still find that a little odd. I lived and live in a couple of college towns and that is rare where I lived. I understand the culture may be different in Lafayette. I have a locals question then. If I was at the local Circle K at 2 a.m. on a Saturday night this weekend how many bicyclists would I see? Last year at the same time, on a Saturday night at 2 a.m. -- how many bicyclists would I see? I guess what I am trying to understand is -- I do not believe this was random. I believe the perp was somewhat local. The perp is connected in with either friends or their friends. In my opinion this case will be solved when some other deal goes bad and the perps friends squawk. That is why the case needs to be in the media. Unfortunately I do not believe this case has a happy ending for anyone.

I have not been able to determine whether BW's bike was found in or near a cemetery. Have seen it reported both ways.

If I was at the local Circle K at 2 a.m. on a Saturday night this weekend how many bicyclists would I see? Last year at the same time, on a Saturday night at 2 a.m. -- how many bicyclists would I see?

I suspect you would see quite a few. Bars close at 2 a.m. and a lot of college-age folks ride their bikes back home.

There is a local K & M janitorial service that is in red lettering.

Interesting. I believe that the letters on the side of this silver service box will end up being something like J&J or M&M, etc. When I manipulate the colors in the photo, I definitely get a plaquard on that service box. The letters on the plackard are perfectly centered and have a dip between them, and I believe there are two letters. I do not have a current copy of PhotoShop to play with them. However, when I use Paint and bring in the photo and then play around with the editing features, I definitely see a service box and a white plaquard. It is odd that the truck has no panels but there is a panel on the service box. If it were a large company such as Halliburton, etc. you would see lettering on the cab itself. It makes me think that this is something that either came with the service box, or something that a private/small company put on the service box because it would be much less expensive then having the cab doors professionally lettered. So that would lead me to believe if there were more trucks like this, there were only a few -- IF there was indeed more than one.

The other thing that bothers me is the fact that right as our suspect truck goes by the Circle K someone is running. I find that odd. I would presume that most people at 2 a.m. are probably more staggering or mellow and not running into a Circle K. If i staked out that particular Circle K on Saturday night at 2 a.m. I wonder how many bicyclists I would see and how many people running across the parking lot I could count. If I lived in Lafayette, I would walk into that Circle K at 2 a.m. on a Saturday night and ask the clerk who was working that night and what they say they saw. Most likely their answer is going to be they cannot talk about it -- but I have a hunch something was going on outside with that white truck and with the person running across that parking lot. I don't work at a Circle k, but I have done security work at 2 a.m. and ain't nobody runnin nowhere. Most of the time I have to prod them to get moving.

Hubby says that there is some fishing around there---really almost everything off of the Atchafalaya Basin thruway is wet lands or swamp, or land surrounded by wet lands and swamp.

I've tried to find out for you, Mr. TT, if any searches were conducted in that area, and I have never received a definitive answer. '

Just as an aside: One of the riding scenes from Easy Rider was filmed near there, or so says my hubby. Between Morganza and Ramah, about a 30 mile distance.

Can you tell me why you are interested in that particular exit? I've been wondering for so long!

I bet 90% of the trucks down here are white. It is so hot, people tend to buy white to reflect some heat away from the vehicle. I know of one company near me that uses red trucks for its fleet, and one that uses dark green. The rest are white.

It "could" be a repo, but you wouldn't believe how many people down here drive around in those trucks. The oilfield service workers are usually on call 24 hours a day for two or three weeks a month, and often work off shore for weeks at a time, separated from their families, so they are well compensated financially. I know of a nineteen year old who just bought one, his payments are in the 900 dollar range, and he won't have trouble meeting those payments because his salary and bonuses are great.

Thank you for the information.
I sent them an email asking about the area myself and have not received a response. It could be they have already in one way or the other searched those areas just have not released that information.

The picture I posted asking about fishing.
I seen a truck with a speed boat attached coming from that area, that is why I asked. Take 135 exit, make a right go under the bridge theirs the area. Close to an interstate system.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...ll=30.398572,-91.507069&spn=0.002573,0.006486
As far as my interest in the area along the I10 135 exit.

It looks as if I wanted to turn around and go back west, the 135 exit would be my first opportunity to do so. Unless there is another option that i cannot see on the map. Thinking along the lines if the perp wanted to give the impression she was taken further east he may have gotten off there to drop other items and than got back on I10 to go back west. It reminds me of WB. The area. And if the perp knew about WB, than perhaps he knew of the isolation at 135 and took it. Though just guessing.

All just speculation on what Ive read and seen so far. In the meantime while waiting for update. Ill watch the cams, reread some threads in the beginning, watch some YouTube videos etc, just to keep the case fresh in my mind. One thing Ive learned in reading cold cases especially, waiting for long period of time for any updates is part of the sleuthing we do.

I believe they likely do have strong leads/suspect(s). There is a very pointed, emphatic quality to the silence around the case. The quality of the silence also leads me to believe that they think there's some chance she's alive.
This seems like one of these situations where even more patience than usual is going to have to be required. The emotional initial push to find Mickey has made the silence even more deafening, by comparison.

CF, wish I could be so optimistic..
The only conclusion that I can make of the emphatic silence is that the most valuable tool in missing persons investigations is being squandered.

Imo, LE is silent due to hitting the proverbial wall. Until there is evidence that indicates otherwise, there is always hope or a chance that she's alive.

Yes, miracles do happen, yet we passed the first 48 hours long ago..

I know what you mean. I'm so tired I can't even get much sleep. Need to go back to bed after yet another four-hour night of subpar sleep.

I hear you loud and clear. I suffer from the same thing largely due to injuries over the years and nerve damage. It can be very rough and I sympathize with you. BTW I hope you know that your work and dedication to this case is really appreciated.

/Oh and I was replying to Kgeaux's comment to a lady from Australia. But I hope she celebrates the 4th all the same.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail