Identified! OH - Cuyahoga Co., WhtMale UP5992, 55-65, Jul'09 - William Coughlin

"Love" tattooed on one set of knuckles, "hate" on the other set.

2" difference in height - within acceptable margin of error. Eyebrows match, nose matches, chin matches, even the same style mustache with a little more grey. Looks about 8 years older.

I'd say that's him. Great find, Chan.

You should call the Albuquerque P.D. (as indicated on the NAMPN page) 505-843-7867

When reading this thread, one thing caught my eye, and triggered a memory. I remembered seeing a missing person featured on The North American Missing Persons Network with the same tattoos. I went on the site, and retrieved the profile. His name is Micheal Fredrick Reynolds, and he has been missing from Albuquerque, New Mexico since September 4, 2001. He has a medical condition, and was last seen in the company of a male. His nickname is Mike, but he may go by the name Miguel.

Mike's Profiles:

http://www.nampn.org/cases/reynolds_michael.html

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200301227W

Unknown Male:

https://identifyus.org/cases/5992
This from Mike's profile:
Appendectomy scar, tattoo on knuckles on one hand saying "love" and on the other hand saying "hate," tattoo on forearm of a "rose" covering an old tattoo, surgical scars on foot, wears upper and lower dentures.
The UID does not wear dentures and does not have the surgical scars or other tattoos. Also there is no description as havRace: White/Hispanic
I don't think this can be a match. Good work though. Keep it up!

This from Mike's profile:
Appendectomy scar, tattoo on knuckles on one hand saying "love" and on the other hand saying "hate," tattoo on forearm of a "rose" covering an old tattoo, surgical scars on foot, wears upper and lower dentures.
The UID does not wear dentures and does not have the surgical scars or other tattoos. Also there is no description as havRace: White/Hispanic
I don't think this can be a match. Good work though. Keep it up!

I've seen cases in NamUs where the information is incomplete. This could be a case where the person creating the NamUs casefile was in a hurry or very busy and did not bother to enter all identifying information.

For example, Mike's profile indicates full dentures. NamUs doesn't list any information regarding dentals. If it listed dental information, then I'd say it was no match, but they didn't enter any info at all about teeth.

I didn't see any indication that this possible match was called in, so I went ahead and called it in to Albuquerque's crime stoppers (Ph #505-843-7867). I was given case #CSI-5319257, and instructed to call them back in two weeks for an update on the results.

I cleaned up the morgue photo with a photo-editor and inserted it below next to Mike Reynolds' profile for comparison.

My apologies to Chan_J if I stepped on your toes by calling in your find. BTW, I remind all members: if you call in a potential match, please note on the thread that you have done so. This will help to avoid unnecessary duplication of efforts.

IN200901456AU001.jpgA200301227W_522.jpg

I didn't see any indication that this possible match was called in, so I went ahead and called it in to Albuquerque's crime stoppers (Ph #505-843-7867). I was given case #CSI-5319257, and instructed to call them back in two weeks for an update on the results.

I cleaned up the morgue photo with a photo-editor and inserted it below next to Mike Reynolds' profile for comparison.

My apologies to Chan_J if I stepped on your toes by calling in your find. BTW, I remind all members: if you call in a potential match, please note on the thread that you have done so. This will help to avoid unnecessary duplication of efforts.

View attachment 6556View attachment 6557
Hi Carlk
Did you conact the case manager of the UID to ask if he had dentures or the scar from surgery or if he was possibly Hispanic? Having a specific case worker usually helps as LE doesn't always do a thorough followup. As a former police officer, I know the the paper chase one has to deal with to make a comparison. Now on the 'other side' of sending in submissions I am more cautious because so many times people send in submissions based on a nose or hairline or some other physical feature. LE gets so many, they just toss them aside sometimes (not always) unless it is a high-profile case. Identifiers like dentures, surgical scars and tattoos are usually the first things to list as that may be the only wat to identify short of DNA or fingerprints if any.
Good tip about posting on the board that someone has called it in. I would think that the person who originally posted the possible here would do that to insure they are satisfied they have done all the research so as not to send in something that is similar in facial features. I have made submissions that looked nothing like the UID and found that at least a dozen have send in tips in one week of the same missing person. So it is a good idea to not submit until we are finished with our research. That is one sure way to get LE or ME to pay attention because they know we have done the 'homework' first. Sleuthers here are doing a good job!

Hi Carlk
Did you conact the case manager of the UID to ask if he had dentures or the scar from surgery or if he was possibly Hispanic? Having a specific case worker usually helps as LE doesn't always do a thorough followup. ...

... So it is a good idea to not submit until we are finished with our research. That is one sure way to get LE or ME to pay attention because they know we have done the 'homework' first. Sleuthers here are doing a good job!

Thanks Mensch, your point well taken.

Although I am new to this, my experience in the few cases that I have worked on is that the LE people have been more responsive to my inquiries than the coroner's office people. There are three different cases where I tried to contact the case manager listed in NamUs. One of them forwarded my e-mail to LE (and I never heard from them after that), and the other two never responded.

Consequently, my inclination was to first call LE to determine if the UID had been eliminated. I got through to a crime tip hotline and the person who answered had no access to that information, so I just went ahead and submitted it.

In retrospect, I should have contacted Cuyahoga County first, as they are the ones who would be able to answer those preliminary questions that you mentioned, and they could have also answered the question about whether Reynolds had been eliminated.

Thanks Mensch, your point well taken.

Although I am new to this, my experience in the few cases that I have worked on is that the LE people have been more responsive to my than the coroner's office people. There are three different cases where I tried to contact the case manager listed in NamUs. One of them forwarded my e-mail to LE (and I never heard from them after that), and the other two never responded.

Consequently, my inclination was to first call LE to determine if the UID had been eliminated. I got through to a crime tip hotline and the person who answered had no access to that information, so I just went ahead and submitted it.

In retrospect, I should have contacted Cuyahoga County first, as they are the ones who would be able to answer those preliminary questions that you mentioned, and they could have also answered the question about whether Reynolds had been eliminated.
Logic would dictate that if there are (and there are!) citizens who want to help and at no cost to any of the agencies involved, there would be more appreciation and cooperation. *sigh* So we just keep banging on doors! :)

I think this is a good match. Great job--now call it in and see if you can find out more info!

When reading this thread, one thing caught my eye, and triggered a memory. I remembered seeing a missing person featured on The North American Missing Persons Network with the same tattoos. I went on the site, and retrieved the profile. His name is Micheal Fredrick Reynolds, and he has been missing from Albuquerque, New Mexico since September 4, 2001. He has a medical condition, and was last seen in the company of a male. His nickname is Mike, but he may go by the name Miguel.

Mike's Profiles:

http://www.nampn.org/cases/reynolds_michael.html

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200301227W

Unknown Male:

I sent an e-mail in asking if there are any other details that may not have been posted at the time the profile was created, that could help in identifying who this man may be. I sent the e-mail December 8, 2009. I want to see if there are any other details, even if they don't match that of Mike's profile, that could help in identifying this individual. Every detail helps.

I'll give the ME a chance to answer the e-mail, and then call in if I don't hear anything back in a few days.

I still haven't heard back from the ME (contacted through e-mail). I know it can take time to get a reply from someone who is in LE or is a ME, so I am trying to be patient. What about everyone else?

- Thanks, Chan_J

I still haven't heard back from the ME (contacted through e-mail). I know it can take time to get a reply from someone who is in LE or is a ME, so I am trying to be patient. What about everyone else?

- Thanks, Chan_J

Albuquerque Crime Stoppers told me to call back in two weeks for an update. It has been eight days since then. If you want to make the call, the phone number and case number are up above on this thread. They didn't ask for my name, so it makes no difference to them if I called or if you did. Since this was your find, I'll let you have the opportunity to follow this through to its conclusion (positive or negative).

I placed the call to Albuquerque Crime Stoppers this morning, and they told me that they were still investigating, and instructed me to call back in two weeks.

While the tat's match, the doe is listed with blonde/bald hair and blue eyes. Nothing said about scars. I think it is going to be a rule out, but I would call the ME/Coroner. Present the potential match and ask about the scars. The ME/Coroner should be able to do a quick determination if the do has scars or not. I tend to think since this doe is a recently listing at Namus if he had scars, they would have been listed. JMO.. I'd still double check just in case the data was entered incorrectly.
----------------------------------------------------

From the 'reports' area at namus
Case Report - NamUs UP # 5992

Case Information

StatusUnidentifiedCase numberIN2009-01456NCIC numberDate foundJuly 28, 2009 at 12:00 AMDate createdOctober 05, 2009 at 01:57 PMDate last modifiedNovember 30, 2009 at 01:06 PMDate QA reviewedOctober 06, 2009 at 04:51 AM

Demographics

Estimated ageAdult - Pre 60Minimum age55 yearsMaximum age65 yearsRaceWhiteEthnicitySexMaleWeight (lbs)163, Measured Height (inch)69, Estimated
Body Parts Inventory (Check all that apply)

All parts recoveredHead not recoveredTorso not recoveredOne or more limbs not recoveredOne or both hands not recoveredBody conditionRecognizable Face
Probable year of death2009 to 2009 Est. postmortem interval

Circumstances

Location Where Found

GPS coordinatesAddress 19818 Gambier AvenueAddress 2CityClevelandStateOhioZip44102CountyCuyahoga
Circumstances of deathFound at home of friend on floor face up expired with apparent assault injuries to the face.

Physical

Hair colorBlond/StrawberryHead hairbald/blond
Body hair
Facial hairbeard unshaven, gray mustache.
Left eye colorBlueRight eye colorBlueEye descriptionblue

... the doe is listed with blonde/bald hair and blue eyes.

The blonde hair is obviously dyed. In the post mortem photo, his roots are grey.

Hair Closeup.JPG

Even looking at his eyes in the photo, they are not conclusively blue. They could be hazel.

Eye Closeup.jpg

But granted, one would think that if he had a rose tattoo on his arm and an appendectomy scar, that they would list them in NamUs. And then, there is the 2" difference in height. Does a person have that much settling of the spine from the late 40's to the late 50's?

Enough difference to raise doubts, but that "LOVE - HATE" thing on the knuckles, and an overall resemblance (with about 10 additional years added to his age), it seems like it would be a pretty big coincidence.

The ME/Coroner should be able to do a quick determination if the do has scars or not.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the ME/Coroner is being very responsive, based on Chan_J's earlier comments.

I think the Love/Hate on the knuckles is more common than we realize. I agree with the rest of the post, especially the comments on the eye color. I'm sorry to hear the coroner isn't being very responsive. I usually find them most receptive.

ETA: I just read back. Was the ME ever called? I always follow up an email with a phone call, just to make sure they received it. Oddly, after getting over my initial fear of calling a ME, they are the ones I like calling the most. ;)

I contacted the ME's office, and after being transferred a couple of times I spoke to a very polite person. I explained to him, as well as to the others that I spoke to, about why I wanted the information. I told them that I was a member of an online community, who focused their time, and energy on assisting with the efforts being made to locate the missing, and identify the unidentified. I told them that we wanted to verify the profile, and have as much accurate information as possible in order to lessen the chances of wasting law enforcements time with an inaccurate match.

I gave him the case number, and he asked me if I had gotten my information from NamUs.

He said that all information featured on NamUs pertaining to the unknown male is correct.

So, the NamUs profile is correct. Let's continue the search...

P.S. ------> The one thing I forgot to point out to him is fact that no dental records are posted on the site. If anyone would like to call into the ME's office & point this out to them, that would be great. P# for the ME is 216-721-5610.

This was actually the first phone call I have ever made to an ME's office. It wasn't a bad experience. On a more personal note, I'm going to be away for a few days, because my brother is coming into town from California. It has been awhile since I have seen him.

When he says the information is correct, does he mean complete with respect to all of the tattoos found on the body?

It may be true that the information that is could be correct, but also incomplete. I don't mind making the call for clarification, but I don't want to take his time unnecessarily if he already clarified that point to you.

You are most likely right though, that this is not a match.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back