LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forget where the the next camera was that Mickey should have been seen on. If it was further down Landry, she could have been hit anywhere along there. It doesn't mean she turned down Brashear. Or is the camera right after Brashear? If the truck turned down Brashear then that helps break down the neighbourhood it was headed to.

This is more like finding a specific needle in a pile of needles.

What is this Svengali-like hold that white trucks have over the men of Lafayette that makes them think of purchasing nothing else but these white trucks? They aren't attractive in any way. The vast majority have never carried more than a potted plant in the bed, gone more off road than a gravel parking lot, or ever hauled anything.

It's so frustrating that LE can't get a better description of the Chevy truck. I just counted 13 white 4 door Chevy Silverados with the Z71 package from Pinhook & Kaliste Saloom Road, through Camellia to Congress & Ambassador (6 miles across town from east to west for non-locals). Unless they can give something else to narrow it down, the might as well have said not to even bother keeping a look out.

This is a very good guess of the type of truck this could be. Compare the Wheel wells and notice their "square shape" near the edges. The taillight looks about the same also, as well as the rear bumber area.

I understand this main picture is the one that should be the only one to consider, and I think I now better understand that the picture that has the truck going to the right is actually a sort of road, because this truck is in the right most lane. The other picture of the one going the other way, it is in the lane beside it and there are left turn arrows painted on the pavement in front of that one. It just seems bizarre to have a similar looking truck coming back from that same direction, but I suppose it could be a different truck heading to the left in the other picture. But in any case, GREAT JOB in trying to get an identification picture of this truck. I think you may have it with the inserted picture.

JMO of course.

Here's a comparison of the truck in question with 2009-2011 Chevrolet/Chevy Silverado Z71's.

http://i.imgur.com/0K2OJ.png

I feel as if the tail lights are higher up in the back on the perp's truck..no?

They started making the tail lights lower in Chevy/Chevrolet Z71 Silverados in 2007 or so (based on a google image search for each year ex: 2007 chevy z71, etc.) but earlier models pre 2007 had them higher up. Others indicate it may be a GMC z71 or perhaps an earlier Chevy z71 before they made the taillights lower.

I'm just spent about 40 min catching up? Didn't someone say that there were cops on foot near Henry & St. Julien and the gate to Coliseum Road was locked.

I'm putting these two posts here because they got stuck at the end of the last closed thread:

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Because the police WERE NOT CLEAR ON THIS POINT, you had to assume that's what they meant. Fair enough. However, we just got done with people *****ing about the chat reporters not being detailed enough and this is exactly how that stuff happens. I don't like assuming and I'm detail oriented so unclear statements are something I would clarify if I were, say, a reporter.

Okay then. I never read that they had determined they were the same. Do you have the link for that info?

This matters to me because we have spent a couple of hundred pages talking about these trucks!
I'm with you that they haven't been perfectly clear. But here's the press release page from LPD: http://www.lafayettela.gov/Police/Press_Releases.asp?PR_Id=4677

Here's the appropriate text:
UPDATE IV: Mickey Captured on Video, White Pickup Sought
Original Release: May 25, 2012 @ 6:40 pm
Lafayette, LA – Detectives were able to identify a bicyclist believed to be Mickey Shunick traveling on Versailles Blvd and Saint Landry Street. At approximately 1:47 am the bicyclist is captured on Versailles Blvd traveling towards St. John Street. She then traveled on St. John Street and crossed over University Avenue, continuing west on St. Landry Street where she was captured on video at approximately 1:48 am. Investigators are seeking information regarding a white newer model four door pickup truck, which was captured on video after Mickey Shunick traveled on both streets.
BBM, this picture is the one traveling in the opposite direction of Mickey.

and ....
UPDATE V: Additional Vehicles Sought in Search for Mickey
Original Release: May 26, 2012 @ 5:30 pm
Lafayette, LA – Detectives have provided an updated picture of the initial vehicle of interest and the pictures of two additional vehicles that were in the area during the same time frame when Mickey Shunick was last captured on surveillance footage. The first truck (Picture1) drove from the area that Mickey had traveled. It is evident from the new photo that the vehicle has a bed cover and tinted windows. The second truck (Picture2) is a white 4 door Chevrolet Z71 that traveled in the same direction of Mickey on St. Landry Street. The third vehicle (Pictures 3 &4) is an 80’s or 90’s 4 door vehicle with body work on the rear right quarter panel. Detectives are interested in locating the vehicles and speaking with the occupants to obtain further information on the case.
Anyone with information is encouraged to call the tips line at 337-291-8633.
Picture 1 is of the white truck on University. Picture 2 is of the truck traveling in the same direction as Micky on St. Landry.

They didn't say anyone came forward. They said they 'tracked them down'. I could see that for the Olds98 but a white truck with no visible plate? How'd they do THAT?

This makes me think that the video is clearer than the static shot, or (more likely) there's more footage we're not seeing.

What is this Svengali-like hold that white trucks have over the men of Lafayette that makes them think of purchasing nothing else but these white trucks? They aren't attractive in any way. The vast majority have never carried more than a potted plant in the bed, gone more off road than a gravel parking lot, or ever hauled anything.

It isn't just Lafayette. It is the South in general.

They didn't say anyone came forward. They said they 'tracked them down'. I could see that for the Olds98 but a white truck with no visible plate? How'd they do THAT?

Lafayette police have ruled out two vehicles of interest in Mickey Shunick's disappearance, but detectives still need information on the newer model white Z71 pickup truck. Detectives have identified the drivers and passengers in both the older 4-door car and the white 4-door pickup truck with the bed cover. "Investigators have ruled out any involvement by these individuals and they offered no additional clues for the investigation. Investigators continue to seek information on the newer model white Z71 pickup truck," said Cpl. Paul Mouton. The Z-71 truck is the first picture of a vehicle Lafayette police released on Friday, May 25. The picture shows a white 4 door Chevrolet Z71 that traveled in the same direction of Mickey on St. Landry Street. The truck and Shunick were captured on surveillance video. A picture of that truck is included in this story.
http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

The first truck drove from the area that Mickey had traveled.

It is evident from the new photo that the vehicle has a bed cover and tinted windows.

The second truck is a white 4 door Chevrolet Z71 that traveled in the same direction of Mickey on St. Landry Street.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012120526004

Therefore, the first truck (University) is the same as the first photo they released (turning from St Landry to University)

It's so frustrating that LE can't get a better description of the Chevy truck. I just counted 13 white 4 door Chevy Silverados with the Z71 package from Pinhook & Kaliste Saloom Road, through Camellia to Congress & Ambassador (6 miles across town from east to west for non-locals). Unless they can give something else to narrow it down, the might as well have said not to even bother keeping a look out.

I think it might be better if they said something like report anyone you know who has a Z71 who was acting suspicious on/after the 19th, Z71s w/ damage consistent to hitting/bumping a bike (I assume this would be minimal if able to be seen at all though), or you were driving in the area or on I-10 between Lafayette and WB that night/morning and saw this truck, etc. that it may be somewhat more helpful. If people are just calling in tips on every 4 door Z71 they see in Lafayette, the tip line is just gonna explode.

Hopefully all RSOs in the state (or at least the southern part of the state) who have white 4 door Z71s are being checked out!!!!!!

Artis, to be fair, that was the wording of the article, not an exact quote. In this article: http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...estigation?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE it says
Police were able to identify the operators and occupants of an older model four-door car, as well as a white four-door pickup truck with a bed cover.
Quite a difference.

There are a LOT of white truck fleets in various parts of the country. In northeast PA & the southern tier of NY, the frackers use them exclusively. There are literally hundreds of them on the roads. Corporate vehicles.

I know Waste Management has issued white full sized pick ups to upper management, as well.

Because a lot of them are fleet vehicles, it should be simpler to pick one out that has any level of customization.

I forget where the the next camera was that Mickey should have been seen on. If it was further down Landry, she could have been hit anywhere along there. It doesn't mean she turned down Brashear. Or is the camera right after Brashear? If the truck turned down Brashear then that helps break down the neighbourhood it was headed to.

It was just past Brashear.

A local explained that drilling companies buy them in fleets. White because it's hot down there, extended cabs because they needs to haul crews. This makes it especially impossible because not only are these fleet trucks in service, they probably get sold off or auctioned every couple of years to locals.

I agree and I believe if any of the vehicles we've been shown are responsible for her disappearance, it is probably the person in that truck. I've always felt that way.

I think so to just cause the bike was also taken,and how easy would a bike load in a car. Easily in a truck tho

The next camera we are aware of is between Brashear and Calder. That's where the photograph of the Olds 88 was taken.

Oh, and, btw, my best friend lives in east Texas and also has a place in Houston and she said they're all over there, too.

Check out the YouTube videos in the first post of the thread. The second video in particular details this part of the route, and I think the camera would have been at 224 St Landry -- IIRC, the Olds was captured on camera there but MS wasn't.

ETA: Megsy beat me to mentioning the Olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow