Identified! AZ - Yavapai Co., WhtFem 157UFAZ, 25-40, pregnant, Aug'95 - Name not found

I have followed this case for a while and find it perplexing. She just seems like such an unlikley unidentified person. I find the following points key in identifying Jane Doe.

1) the spot where the body was found would require at least a five mile hike plus a fairly short but very rough scramble up a steep, rocky slope. A robust, outdoorsy woman who was 8 months pregnant could do it, but why? There are shorter ways to get there but they would require much rougher climbing that I don't think would be resonably possible for such a woman. She probably began at the Clarksville parking area and she had to have gone their on her own accord. Nobody carried a body that far. The police report indicates that no vehicle was left at any parking area nearby. This suggest that someone accompanied her and presumably killed her or left her for dead.
2) the clothing she was wearing suggest cool, not cold weather; probably spring or fall. The hooded sweatshirt + a swim**** would be consistant with cool weather but the prospect of finding a warm sunny spot to sunbath. There is the possiblity, however, that the swimsuit did not belong to her. In winter the area is very cold with snow; in summer the temps often exceed 100. The death probably occured Oct - May. The clothes also suggest a "middle class suburban" type rather than either a teenage runaway or the street/druggie type which seem to be the more "typical" Jane Doe. She would seem to be an unlikly unidentified body.
3) I have gone over all misssing women in the time period 92-95 and I can find none that really seem likely matches. Height, hair color, or circumstances of disappearance don't seem to fit. We must trust that Yavapai County LE has reviewed the same information and come to the same conclusion. Assuming that this was a genuine unreported missing person, it would suggest that she had been estranged from friends and family. There could be incorrect information on the some missing person report or on the police report that prevented a "match" but otherwise it is likely she was unreported. The clothing appears to have been bought in the US or Canada and missing person listing for those counties are quite complete for the 1990's. She could have come from Europe but she would have had to purchase all of her clothing in the US.
4)The Solar Sheild sunglasses are normally used for people after cataract surgery. It would be unusual in someone so young. They are sometimes used by people who are particularly sensitive to intense sunlight/glare. This area has pinkish white rocks with only thin forest cover. On a bright sunny day, glare would be a problem.
5) there was a theory that she was lost or injured and the bathing suit in the tree was some kind of "signal for help". I think this is unlikely. There were no broken bones and she was not that far from the trail (less that a 1/4 mile). This is a relativly narrow canyon with a well marked trail running along the bottom. It would be virtually impossible to get lost because you could always find the trail by going downhill towards the canyon floor. She should have been able to make it down with even a very serious "soft tissue"(non-broken bone) injury.

The likely explaination is that a young preganat woman, who was estranged from friends or family (probably due to the pregnancy or the father) was lurded to a "special spot" then murdered by the father. A second possibility would be suicide. It is rare but not unheard of for a woman that pregnant to commit suicide. The big problem in the suicide theory is "how did she get there? This assumes that there definily was no vehicle abandoned near the body. Since the removal of an abonded vehicle would have been a rather minor event and it could have happened over a long time range, could it have been overlooked?

There are thousands of parents, siblings, children etc who have seen loved-ones "leave" and then never hear from them again. They must wonder, worry or dread what may have happen. I think there is story like this behind our Jane Doe.

3) I have gone over all misssing women in the time period 92-95 and I can find none that really seem likely matches. Height, hair color, or circumstances of disappearance don't seem to fit. We must trust that Yavapai County LE has reviewed the same information and come to the same conclusion. Assuming that this was a genuine unreported missing person, it would suggest that she had been estranged from friends and family. There could be incorrect information on the some missing person report or on the police report that prevented a "match" but otherwise it is likely she was unreported. The clothing appears to have been bought in the US or Canada and missing person listing for those counties are quite complete for the 1990's. She could have come from Europe but she would have had to purchase all of her clothing in the US.

There are thousands of parents, siblings, children etc who have seen loved-ones "leave" and then never hear from them again. They must wonder, worry or dread what may have happen. I think there is story like this behind our Jane Doe.

good point. I always wonder too, when I check the "site updates" on doe network, when they add new missing persons cases from 10-20 years ago. I wonder if this person was just reported missing - do people wake up and realize, 'I want to get in touch w/ this person, and can't find them on my own'? or is it just an overlooked MP case in LE's filing cabinets that suddenly surfaces?

that's why I always check their site updates - even if you've gone over MP listings time and time again, there's the chance one day your Doe could pop up on there.

a long shot

The Doe Network:
Case File 2171DFCA

timing seems wrong too little info ....

how about this one
BJNunez.jpg
157UFAZ2.jpg

a long shot

The Doe Network:
Case File 2171DFCA

timing seems wrong too little info ....

how about this one
BJNunez.jpg

No, this case doesn't mention of full term pregnant as vital statistics as UID AZ female.

is anyone sure this UID has not been identified?

I checked and saw that Arizona has 834 UIDs at Namus, with a fair number going back to 1995 and earlier. I did not see any from Yavapai County. Considering how much AZ uses Namus, I almost find it hard to believe they would not have included this one, if in fact she is still unidentified, unless for some reason Yavapai County does not participate in Namus.

I'm cross-referring this from the 1990's Missing,not forgotten forum under Sandra Ann Sollie

I really doubt this is Sandra. Besides having no ties to Arizona and no indication that she was an "outdoorsy type", Sandra would have been 8 or 9 months pregnant in June-August 1994. In those months it would have been very hot in Sycamore canyon and no one would be wearing a sweatshirt. Still, I would hope dental records were checked.

Still, that leaves the mystery of who she is. Indications are that she was a middle class woman her 30's, a demographic that just doesn't go missing without being reported.

I suspect there are people out there who had a very bad feeling when a friend/daughter/relative/co-worked just "dropped from sight" shortly before giving birth but no one bothered to report it. Possibly the jurisdiction would only take reports from "blood relatives".

She's in Namus now: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10766

The only ruleout is Lisa Zochowski.

I googled Sycamore Canyon swimming and found this article with some pictures: http://www.sedonaverdevalley.org/clarkdale/thesycamorecanyon.html

I found these photos on Flickr. Not sure why they're not displaying but if you click on the title, it will take you to the photo. This is Blue Hole:
1812097645_4f3c9e9fd8_m.jpg

This is what the terrain looks like:
1812097637_4badf32eed_m.jpg

Porchlight has some details: http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=7034

Article from the local paper about how she was found, etc. http://campverdebugleonline.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=1&articleID=22471

In searching missing persons databases, I found a woman who went missing and were pregnant during the time frame that this women died.

Sandra Sollie, who was actually from near where I grew up! She went missing May 1994. She was carrying a boy, I would be curious to know the sex of the fetus of the UID.

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200503315S

Sandra certainly looks like a possibility. She would have been 9 months pregnant in about August of 1994, which is a year before the body was found, so that fits. She's the right height. Facially she looks similar.

Yeah, it's weird she wound up in Arizona from upstate New York, but LE seems to think she left willingly, so there's no reason she couldn't have wound up there.

According to this article (http://www.desertusa.com/mag06/jan/sycamore.html), Sycamore Canyon's altitude is about 3500-9000 feet depending on where you are, so if she had been swimming in the evening it might well have been cool enough for a sweatshirt.

Was she ever submitted?

Attachments

• sollie_sandra5 NY 1994.jpg
    sollie_sandra5 NY 1994.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 22
  • SEDONA_JANE 1995 AZ.jpg
    SEDONA_JANE 1995 AZ.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 22
Could the 'solar shield' sunglasses be the kind worn after Laser Eye Surgery (lasik)? I had that surgery done in 1999 and remember wearing them.

Could the 'solar shield' sunglasses be the kind worn after Laser Eye Surgery (lasik)? I had that surgery done in 1999 and remember wearing them.

I would think that would be one possibility.

She might have had a corneal scratch from getting sand in her eyes, or something like that.

based on this description, I am inclined to think the UID was pushed to her death:

The area the body was found in North of Blue Hole in Sycamore Canyon on a knife shaped ridge. The area is very steep and not very accessible to foot traffic.

that would require, however, that there be some place higher up than the "knife shaped ridge" on which she was found.

I'm thinking the glasses were maybe from the DUlaney Eye clinic. Perhaps the clinic since merged with Barnet & Perkins? I'm sure LE would have checked this angle? http://www.goodeyes.com/locations/

Could she have had an exacerbation of glaucoma necessitating emergency surgery while pregnant (apparently this is extremely rare - intraocular pressure tends to decrease during pg)? Or perhaps a retinal detatchment which required the surgery? Or maybe she had a procedure done some time previous to her death and just liked the glasses?

based on this description, I am inclined to think the UID was pushed to her death:

The area the body was found in North of Blue Hole in Sycamore Canyon on a knife shaped ridge. The area is very steep and not very accessible to foot traffic.

that would require, however, that there be some place higher up than the "knife shaped ridge" on which she was found.

It sounds likely. The hiker who found her says he looked down:

"The hiker who discovered the remains said he climbed to a high ridge and while looking down into the canyon he noticed the remains below on a ridge above the canyon floor. Detectives from the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office removed the remains and other clothes and belongings around the body. " http://campverdebugleonline.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=1&articleID=22471

I'm familiar with Sycamore Canyon. It is about 2 1/2 hours north of Phoenix,between Prescott and Sedona. There is a good unpaved road that leads to a parking area. A flat, well traveled trail follows the creek in a deep Canyon. The hiking to the Blue Hole, 2 1/2 miles up the canyon , is easy. A fit woman in tennis shoes would have no problems, even if she we 9 months pregnant.

Going up the side of the canyon is another matter. I had no idea where she was found, but the canyon walls are not entirely impassible. One can work their way up, climbing hand and foot while working your way laterally to find a passable route. This is, however, very risky because it is easier to climb uphill than down and it is often difficult to retrace your route. You can easily be in a situation where you can not get back down. Jane Dow was found 1/4 mile from the trail where she could see it but evidently she could not get back down. The condition of the remains show no obvious injury but she may have fallen a short distance. The was no spot above her that was reasonably accessible that she could have fallen from. Why a very pregnant woman in tennis shoes would even try such a stunt is baffling.

It is possible that Jane Doe went there alone. There is absolutely no way to get to the trail head except by vehicle. Supposedly no abandoned car was found at the parking but it is possible that an "abandoned" car was found many months earlier and towed away by the forest service and the Yavapai County Sheriff's Dept was unaware of it (I know of a Case in California where this happened). Why then did no one report her missing? There is the possibility that she went there to commit suicide but the same mystery exist.

There is the possibility that she was with a male companion who deliberately led her there and then left her to die. Or, there is as set of male bones nearby that still haven't been found. Either way, why no report of a missing person?

Reviewing lists of John and Jane Does, leads me to believe most are either young runaways or homeless/druggie/marginal types. Some appear to be suicides who have taken measures to disguise their identity. There are some who appear to be normal types that you would expect there to be friends, relatives, someone to be concerned and report them missing.

this is an interesting observation from the article carbuff provided:

Investigators believe the victim was not accustomed to hiking and was not dressed for the rugged country.

http://campverdebugleonline.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=1&articleID=22471

so if she was not dressed for hiking, then it would stand to reason that she was not there to hike as such. if a male companion got her to that higher ground or near enough without major hiking effort, then he could have pushed her to her death. I tend to think that there is a perp and that he was the baby's father.

I will say I am not crazed about the reconstruction. when I take a quick glance at it, I see a male face. there is nothing particularly feminine about her face.

I have two I'd like to run by you.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19170/1/
(she ran away to join a church group and wasn't heard from since) Maybe they didn't want her because she found out she was pregnant or she'd had an affair they didn't approve of?
It says in the report that she had tissue damage to her face due to a car accident. I don't think that would have shown on ME's report if the bones weren't harmed.

and then, age excluded;
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/10572/0/

Also, hair color of a pregnant woman is probably the "natural" color. Given the factor that UID probably went missing before she was pregnant the chances are high that she had dyed her hair prior to going missing. It was still taboo to dye your hair (probably still is to some) while pregnant due to the high concentration of chemicals including ammonia and fumes.
This kinda gets to me because I'm also a sandy blonde that likes to go reddish in the fall and winter and lighter blonde in the summer time. Sandy blonde/dirty blonde/dishwater blonde/ mousey blonde...not a desirable color at all.

this is an interesting observation from the article carbuff provided:

Investigators believe the victim was not accustomed to hiking and was not dressed for the rugged country.

http://campverdebugleonline.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=1&articleID=22471

so if she was not dressed for hiking, then it would stand to reason that she was not there to hike as such. if a male companion got her to that higher ground or near enough without major hiking effort, then he could have pushed her to her death. I tend to think that there is a perp and that he was the baby's father.

I will say I am not crazed about the reconstruction. when I take a quick glance at it, I see a male face. there is nothing particularly feminine about her face.

There are a lot of rugged, outdoorsy people where I live and I just can't see any of serious fitness types wearing Pro Wing tennis shoes from Payless. I wonder if she had any other layers on top besides the sweatshirt?

I have two I'd like to run by you.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19170/1/
(she ran away to join a church group and wasn't heard from since) Maybe they didn't want her because she found out she was pregnant or she'd had an affair they didn't approve of?
It says in the report that she had tissue damage to her face due to a car accident. I don't think that would have shown on ME's report if the bones weren't harmed.

and then, age excluded;
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/10572/0/

Also, hair color of a pregnant woman is probably the "natural" color. Given the factor that UID probably went missing before she was pregnant the chances are high that she had dyed her hair prior to going missing. It was still taboo to dye your hair (probably still is to some) while pregnant due to the high concentration of chemicals including ammonia and fumes.
This kinda gets to me because I'm also a sandy blonde that likes to go reddish in the fall and winter and lighter blonde in the summer time. Sandy blonde/dirty blonde/dishwater blonde/ mousey blonde...not a desirable color at all.

I think the first one seems most likely.....and the time frame does work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back