MTR Discussions

I think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Most people who I know that had children when they weren't married gave the child the father's name. Nowadays I think a lot of kids have both names hyphenated.

Even if they weren't in a relationship by then? (Or maybe it was a one-night stand?) Just wondering.

Okay, sorry, I only read one post before I wrote this. So, I guess anything goes. I have no experience with this. Thanks for everyone's input.

I think DC has said that neither she or MTR's mother knew of his whereabouts that day. Maybe LE had already been keeping an eye on him and knew where he was.

Yes you might be right. If DC/Mom did not know his whereabouts and he was arrested at the gym we can hypothesis a few things. LE were tailing him and they were waiting for the go ahead to arrest him, which would make me think they were waiting to retrieve a certain piece of evidence. Something that would give the crown reason to charge him. Whatever info they had to bring him in on Friday was not strong enough for them to arrest him on the spot and or charge him. So they possibly found something on the day he was arrested. The cops were probably following him to ensure he did not flee until they could find something to substantiate TLM's claims. This is why I believe LE does have some type of evidence other than hearsay against MTR. There is no way that they would have even arrested him on TLM's words alone. If that was the case then we should all fear for our freedom since anyone could accuse us of something so horrnedous and have us arrested without any substantial evidence. The police must show some kind of reason before the crown would agree to charges. Also considering his charges went up instead of being reduced would lead me to believe that they have more than enough to bring to court.

Yes you might be right. If DC/Mom did not know his whereabouts and he was arrested at the gym we can hypothesis a few things. LE were tailing him and they were waiting for the go ahead to arrest him, which would make me think they were waiting to retrieve a certain piece of evidence. Something that would give the crown reason to charge him. Whatever info they had to bring him in on Friday was not strong enough for them to arrest him on the spot and or charge him. So they possibly found something on the day he was arrested. The cops were probably following him to ensure he did not flee until they could find something to substantiate TLM's claims. This is why I believe LE does have some type of evidence other than hearsay against MTR. There is no way that they would have even arrested him on TLM's words alone. If that was the case then we should all fear for our freedom since anyone could accuse us of something so horrnedous and have us arrested without any substantial evidence. The police must show some kind of reason before the crown would agree to charges. Also considering his charges went up instead of being reduced would lead me to believe that they have more than enough to bring to court.

I've been told by a lawyer that LE needs only the slimmest suspicion of wrong doing to make an arrest. It can also be called "taken into custody". They can then release you if they wish. It's the pressing of charges that's much harder to do without evidence. (I believe I quoted him in another thread.)

Several years ago I had a friend who was handcuffed and taken into custody for possession of stolen goods. He didn't know they were stolen and had them out in public view. LE questioned him for about 12 hours before he was finally released and cleared. He had to give up the person who sold him these goods and this person was later arrested and charged. It then cost my friend $10,000 for a lawyer to get his name expunged from police records.

It's my opinion that MR was taken into custody on suspicion, but with little or no evidence. At some point within the next six or seven hours, they acquired enough evidence to charge him. Where this evidence came from is anyone's guess.

Here is just one example of people being arrested and released for lack of evidence. It's from the Karissa Boudreau case.

"Police probing the murder of a 12-year-old Nova Scotia girl say they arrested and later released two suspects in the case due to a lack of evidence."

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...sed&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Do we know for sure that she was never legally married to MR's father?

I too am under the impression that the mother can put down the name of the bio father (without a signature from him) and take the name.

If they were not married and the mother was to do this and then seek financial assistance from the "father" it would be up to him to prove that he is not and have his name removed.

If we are talking about the TB guy - he certainly would not be the first to get a girl pregnant while he was in university and hightail it out of the country for a while. JMO

Well I do have some experience.. When i gave birth to my daughter i signed to have his name as my daughters last name and he signed as well. Within a couple months you get another letter in the mail to confirm the name of the child. I chose to change her name to my last name. I had to have his signature to change his last name to mine. If he didnt sign it her name would have been his unless i fordged his signature. I wasnt married to him so i thought it would best to keep my name to make it easier for me when crossing the border etc... The father HAS to sign the birth certificate to declared as the father..

Well I do have some experience.. When i gave birth to my daughter i signed to have his name as my daughters last name and he signed as well. Within a couple months you get another letter in the mail to confirm the name of the child. I chose to change her name to my last name. I had to have his signature to change his last name to mine. If he didnt sign it her name would have been his unless i fordged his signature. I wasnt married to him so i thought it would best to keep my name to make it easier for me when crossing the border etc... The father HAS to sign the birth certificate to declared as the father..

Thanks crazylady, it sounds like your man was with you for the delivery (or soon after) but what about when the guy is not there, perhaps already out of the country or just out of town, do you know what hospital protocol is then? I have no first hand knowledge of this.

Also we really can't disregard that he may have willingly signed, married or not. JMO

I am confused as to the discussion of disassociation of MTR by his father at birth or soon after? I realize it's possible, but on what basis are we discussing this?

Is Murphy DM's maiden name or married name?

It would definitely seem there is a disassociation by his father at this point, whomever he is. His brother and mother's ex-boyfriend have spoken up thus far.

Very little has been discussed regarding his childhood. But we have heard from some who say it was turbulant, it certainly seems as if he comes from a broken marriage (or two), and he says he has moved around alot (and those who have come forward are from different points in the province.)

The speculation on who his father is, seems very interesting to me. There is quite a coincidence there with the locations of past residence by that man, and also the accused.

If indeed it is him, would it not be better to come forward now, if indeed he is his father, than risk the bad public relations later at the trial? I don't really think it can be supressed. As AG pointed out, there have been many, many high profile politicians, lawyers (Bryant?) etc. who's family members have been involved in crime.

Can anyone answer this simple question:

Is Rafferty using Legal Aid for his defence or not?

Thanks crazylady, it sounds like your man was with you for the delivery (or soon after) but what about when the guy is not there, perhaps already out of the country or just out of town, do you know what hospital protocol is then? I have no first hand knowledge of this.

Also we really can't disregard that he may have willingly signed, married or not. JMO

if he is not there than the mother just signs the birth certificate with her signature... the father will have to sign it. the only way around this is for the mother to forge the signature.

I am confused as to the discussion of disassociation of MTR by his father at birth or soon after? I realize it's possible, but on what basis are we discussing this?

It would definitely seem there is a disassociation by his father at this point, whomever he is. His brother and mother's ex-boyfriend have spoken up thus far.

Very little has been discussed regarding his childhood. But we have heard from some who say it was turbulant, it certainly seems as if he comes from a broken marriage (or two), and he says he has moved around alot (and those who have come forward are from different points in the province.)

The speculation on who his father is, seems very interesting to me. There is quite a coincidence there with the locations of past residence by that man, and also the accused.

If indeed it is him, would it not be better to come forward now, if indeed he is his father, than risk the bad public relations later at the trial? I don't really think it can be supressed. As AG pointed out, there have been many, many high profile politicians, lawyers (Bryant?) etc. who's family members have been involved in crime.

i truly think that if he was the father **** would have hit the fan earlier... i would say whoever we think it is, it must not be

I do remember reading an article which stated that MR and TLM had both attained legal aid representatives...now just to locate that article again.

if he is not there than the mother just signs the birth certificate with her signature... the father will have to sign it. the only way around this is for the mother to forge the signature.

It is the birth registration that is signed at the hospital - this I do have first hand experience with, the last time was just 6 years ago. Birth Certificates can be done on-line and you only need the registration number plus attending doctor and hospital info, etc. This number is already pre-printed on the birth registration document. Now this is where I am a bit cloudy - you might take this document (or a tear-off portion with the number duplicated) with you when you are discharged from the hospital and then can complete the Birth Certificate whenever you want or, this is where the part you remember comes in, they send you the confirmation of your "live birth" with the registration number and you apply for the birth certificate. I clearly remember that the number is pre-printed on the first document though.

This is just my opinion but I have a strong feeling that MR was shuffled around from city to city and town to town because he has some sort of behavioural and emotional issues. I also feel that he may have spent some time himself in juvenile detention.

Also, did TCFC or some other friends mention that MR took the train to get around? TIA

This is just my opinion but I have a strong feeling that MR was shuffled around from city to city and town to town because he has some sort of behavioural and emotional issues. I also feel that he may have spent some time himself in juvenile detention.

Also, did TCFC or some other friends mention that MR took the train to get around? TIA

This could well be, Matou.

The thing that gets me, is if his Mom worked at the abrasives plant 30 plus years, we can assume that she must have been fairly local.

Now, Drayton, Palmerston, and Woodstock are all local enough to get to the plant.

Thunder Bay, Yukon, Richmond Hill, Toronto are not.

I think it safe to assume that Richmond Hill, Toronto and Guelph were likely late teens and into the 20's. Easy enough to see how he had been all over.

So that leaves Thunder Bay and Yukon. Quite far and what is the connection?

This is assuming that what he said on his Skydrive is true.

We have confirmation of Drayton/Palmerston, Woodstock, Guelph and Toronto from his friends, FWIW.

If you are approximately 12-13 in Junior High, and give or take a couple of years for him being in Drayton around that time, that would make the years perhaps 1991-1994?

I think there is a tie to TLM being in Thunder Bay as well, isn't there?

We know his Skydrive pics were dated, I *think* alot of the stuff was from 2006 apx. That would "mean" that he would have lived in those places prior to 2006, correct?

(Respectfully snipped and BBM)

The only info about MTR's father came from Nurse_Sleuth:

"I dont think his father had much to do with him ever, and to my knowledge his mom never married his father."

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4069621#post4069621"]MTR Discussions - Page 4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Unless it has some bearing on his guilt or innocence, I don't see why MTR's paternity has to come up at the trial at all. Why would it? Certainly his father's presence, or lack of it, in his life could never be used as a defense. I'd be interested in how it could be used by the prosecution, but even so, I don't see why his father would have to be identified.

IMO, it's quite possible we will never learn who MTR's biological father is and I have forgotten what its relevance is supposed to be. Can someone remind me, please?

I've been told by a lawyer that LE needs only the slimmest suspicion of wrong doing to make an arrest. It can also be called "taken into custody". They can then release you if they wish. It's the pressing of charges that's much harder to do without evidence. (I believe I quoted him in another thread.)

Several years ago I had a friend who was handcuffed and taken into custody for possession of stolen goods. He didn't know they were stolen and had them out in public view. LE questioned him for about 12 hours before he was finally released and cleared. He had to give up the person who sold him these goods and this person was later arrested and charged. It then cost my friend $10,000 for a lawyer to get his name expunged from police records.

It's my opinion that MR was taken into custody on suspicion, but with little or no evidence. At some point within the next six or seven hours, they acquired enough evidence to charge him. Where this evidence came from is anyone's guess.

Here is just one example of people being arrested and released for lack of evidence. It's from the Karissa Boudreau case.

"Police probing the murder of a 12-year-old Nova Scotia girl say they arrested and later released two suspects in the case due to a lack of evidence."

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...sed&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Yes I realize that being arrested is not the same as being charged. Actually police can only hold someone on suspicion for 48 hours I believe, if they have not charged them then they must release them within this time frame. I agree though I believe whatever evidence they have on him was found or substantiated the day he was arrested and charged.

IMO, it's quite possible we will never learn who MTR's biological father is and I have forgotten what its relevance is supposed to be. Can someone remind me, please?

(Respectfully snipped)

I believe it orginated from an off the cuff comment from a poster suggesting along the lines of "what if MR was the son of a prominent figure". It was just a speculation to perhaps explain the change in legal representation from the firm in London to the much larger one in Toronto, although we know this happens all the time in high profile cases. Someone followed up with the link to JR in TB and upon further research there appeared to be some similarities location-wise from where they both were born, had lived and gone to school.

If you qualify for legal aid can you in fact obtain a lawyer from outside the jurisdiction - if so, why doesn't MR hire OJ's lawyer and TLM hire KH's lawyer. As a taxpayer I hope that there are some restrictions or flat fee rates. If a lawyer from Toronto takes a case in Woodstock pro bono or flat fee legal aid, would it necessarily be a case that they have a chance of winning or would they take it for the media exposure - I guess both is what they ultimately strive for.

If the lawyer in Toronto is neither paid by legal aid or providing representation pro bono just who is footing this bill? If MR's mom's boyfriend was complaining about him sponging off his mother I am guessing that money could be tight for her and her house (even with the mortgage fully paid off) might get this lawyers services to maybe February. This was the reason I was interested in pursuing the JR "angle"; the father who never did anything for his kid growing (including financial support) might be able to pitch in for the legal defence and maybe get him a lighter sentence (as unpopular that thought is here on this forum) JMO FWIW.

FWIW: I've been told that MTR's birthdate is October 26, 1980 and that he has his Grade 12.

FWIW: I've been told that MTR's birthdate is October 26, 1980 and that he has his Grade 12.

Is this just what he told someone though? Seems to me he's a pathological liar.
(I'm referring to the Grade 12 part) According to the biography of the man who we are wondering about being MR's father, lol, he was in University at that time but doesn't say where.

Is this just what he told someone though? Seems to me he's a pathological liar.
(I'm referring to the Grade 12 part) According to the biography of the man who we are wondering about being MR's father, lol, he was in University at that time but doesn't say where.

(BBM)

Sorry, I wasn't told where the information originated.

I as well dont believe he graduated grade 12, the HS he attended said he only recieved a few credits in grade 9. I dont know where the article is but I do remember reading it the day following his arrests.
I believe MTR is a highly manipulative man. Indictive of his manipulation skills is how easily women fall in love with him. DC only was with him a matter of weeks yet she remained loyal even after he was accused of killing a child? I believe most of us would have ran scared when we heard this and suffered great embarassment and humiliation. I am not saying there is anything wrong with DC or her character I just believe she has been manipulated by a man who is a master manipulator. MOO of course.

(BBM)

Sorry, I wasn't told where the information originated.

maxfactor and antiquegirl,

If this is the same JR:

DEGREES
Bachelor of Education, The University of Western Ontario, Ontario 1979
Bachelor of Arts, University of Waterloo, Ontario 1979

PROGRAM OF TEACHER EDUCATION
Professional education program completed in Ontario, Faculty of Education, The University of Western Ontario, Ontario 1979

http://www.oct.ca/PublicRegister/memberDetails.aspx?memberID=382726

HTH!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member