Sidebar Discussion #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting little snippet here, just don't know where to put it or if it's relevant to anything.

http://www.miami-criminal-lawyer.net/caselaw/category/fifth-district-court-of-appeal/#

IN THE DISTRICT COURT OF APPEAL OF THE STATE OF FLORIDA
FIFTH DISTRICT JULY TERM 2011
JON A. REGISTER,
Petitioner,
v.
STATE OF FLORIDA,
Respondent.
Case No. 5D11-3185
Opinion filed December 30, 2011
Petition for Belated Appeal,
A Case of Original Jurisdiction.
Jon A. Register, Milton, pro se.
Pamela Jo Bondi, Attorney General, Tallahassee, and Wesley Heidt, Assistant Attorney General, Daytona Beach, for Respondent.
PER CURIAM.
Jon A. Register, Petitioner, seeks a belated appeal of his judgment and sentence in Osceola County case number 2004-CF-000152, asserting that immediately following sentencing, he requested his attorney, Jose Baez, to file an appeal, but counsel failed to do so. On October 27, 2011, this Court ordered the appointment of a commissioner to conduct an evidentiary hearing and make a finding of fact as to whether Petitioner timely communicated to the trial attorney his desire to appeal the judgment and sentence. The commissioner conducted a hearing; however, he made no findings as to whether Petitioner made a timely request to his counsel to file an appeal. Because the sworn testimony of Petitioner was not refuted, we grant Petitioner’s request for a belated appeal. A copy of this opinion shall be filed with the trial court and be treated as the notice of appeal from the judgment and sentence in case number 2004-CF-000152, in the Circuit Court in and for Osceola County, Florida. See Fla. R. App. P. 9.141(c)(6)(D).
PETITION GRANTED.
SAWAYA, COHEN and JACOBUS, JJ., concur.
Courtesy of David Edelstein

cafe-du-monde.jpg

p121580-New_Orleans-Cafe_Du_Monde.jpg

That's EXACTLY where I will be at 9:30 am on April 29th as I leave New Orleans Jazz Festival and head back home. It's a tradition to go there for b'fast on our way outta town! Thanks Bayouland, and I'll :seeya: at the Blue's tent during the fest!

That's EXACTLY where I will be at 9:30 am on April 29th as I leave New Orleans Jazz Festival and head back home. It's a tradition to go there for b'fast on our way outta town! Thanks Bayouland, and I'll :seeya: at the Blue's tent during the fest!

See you there. I was thinking of you when I posted this!

Interesting little snippet here, just don't know where to put it or if it's relevant to anything.

http://www.miami-criminal-lawyer.net/caselaw/category/fifth-district-court-of-appeal/#

IN THE DISTRICT COURT OF APPEAL OF THE STATE OF FLORIDA
FIFTH DISTRICT JULY TERM 2011
JON A. REGISTER,
Petitioner,
v.
STATE OF FLORIDA,
Respondent.
Case No. 5D11-3185
Opinion filed December 30, 2011
Petition for Belated Appeal,
A Case of Original Jurisdiction.
Jon A. Register, Milton, pro se.
Pamela Jo Bondi, Attorney General, Tallahassee, and Wesley Heidt, Assistant Attorney General, Daytona Beach, for Respondent.
PER CURIAM.
Jon A. Register, Petitioner, seeks a belated appeal of his judgment and sentence in Osceola County case number 2004-CF-000152, asserting that immediately following sentencing, he requested his attorney, Jose Baez, to file an appeal, but counsel failed to do so. On October 27, 2011, this Court ordered the appointment of a commissioner to conduct an evidentiary hearing and make a finding of fact as to whether Petitioner timely communicated to the trial attorney his desire to appeal the judgment and sentence. The commissioner conducted a hearing; however, he made no findings as to whether Petitioner made a timely request to his counsel to file an appeal. Because the sworn testimony of Petitioner was not refuted, we grant Petitioner’s request for a belated appeal. A copy of this opinion shall be filed with the trial court and be treated as the notice of appeal from the judgment and sentence in case number 2004-CF-000152, in the Circuit Court in and for Osceola County, Florida. See Fla. R. App. P. 9.141(c)(6)(D).
PETITION GRANTED.
SAWAYA, COHEN and JACOBUS, JJ., concur.
Courtesy of David Edelstein

Annnnnnnnnd another reason JB should be disbarred....but evidently he won't.

Good Morning EveryOne! :pillowfight2:

Hope there is some of that yummy Breakfast treat left!

I will not, unfortunately, be at the Jazz Festival but my heart will sure be there!

Yes, our system is better than some. The big problem I have with our system has to do with the jury trial process which is as you have pointed out.

ETA: OK...I have deleted my long diatribe to simply say that I believe that the US now needs a Constitutional amendment that allows the state to appeal a verdict. That would not jeopardize anyone's rights and would be more fair than the system we now have where even when a jury has not done its job their verdict must stand.

Times have changed. The "dumbing down of America" is more than just a phrase. It's a reality in a lot of ways, courtesty of TV shows like CSI and others. People are mentally lazy in that they expect machines and technology to provide answers that in reality require actual thinking and reasoning.

I agree Kryrjx - Critical Thinking Skills have gone the way of the Dodo Bird!

Oh my........CNN Alert.......

Former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has died, his family confirmed Sunday. He was 85.

OMG! Where are my manners in not including others! :great: Invitation for any :websleuther: that is going to the Jazz Festival in New Orleans to perhaps meet up on April 27th/28th! :woohoo:

Well logicalgirl - I've been called for jury duty in State Court for Tuesday - so perhaps I'll be seated and do some critical thinking, representing all us :websleuther:'s. LOL - if I go AWOL this week, means I'm seated - as we know........no posting on social sites during trials. :rocker:

Well logicalgirl - I've been called for jury duty in State Court for Tuesday - so perhaps I'll be seated and do some critical thinking, representing all us :websleuther:'s. LOL - if I go AWOL this week, means I'm seated - as we know........no posting on social sites during trials. :rocker:

Hooray! Just what you wanted!! Now, no telling them the guy looks guilty to you and that's how you'll be voting cause you don't want this perp getting away with it like Casey Anthony!:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

When my children were young, I introduced them to logic puzzles. I always enjoyed them and starting teaching my kids how to work things out. Now that I see that our kids are no longer being taught such a basic skill, I am glad that I did it myself.

Why am I torturing myself by watching the closing arguments all over again? It hurts so bad. Atleast I get to see KC stone cold and furious. No smirk on her face.

On NBC this weekend saw a clip of Lyons putting out No Trespassing signs at the Church. How about that for not drawing attention to yourself or FCA? Come on now - I didn't fall off the last bus.......

Oh, and he said, "No comment" when asked to say something. Bit of a turn around there Jeremiah?

Wonder how the service went this morning?

Oh man, are you making me miss New Orleans!!!!! Best breakfast EVER is at Cafe DuMonde with Beignets and chocolate milk (for me. Most others have coffee, but I'm not a coffee drinker)!!!! Thanks for posting this picture bayouland (even though I replied to someone else's post, lol)!

----------------------
Congrats atthelake, now remember no gum chewing..LOL.:floorlaugh:

Oh man, are you making me miss New Orleans!!!!! Best breakfast EVER is at Cafe DuMonde with Beignets and chocolate milk (for me. Most others have coffee, but I'm not a coffee drinker)!!!! Thanks for posting this picture bayouland (even though I replied to someone else's post, lol)!

Cafe DuMonde Beignets! Yumma yumma. New Orleans ...what a great city; only been there once but fell in love with it. Great food, great music, great architecture, great vibe. The humidity is awful, though! And I always thought Florida was the most humid place on the planet...not so!

You are very welcome! Let me know if you ever head this way!!

Cafe DuMonde Beignets! Yumma yumma. Nawlins ...what a great city; only been there once but fell in love with it. Great food, great music, great architecture, great vibe. The humidity is awful, though! And I always thought Florida was the most humid place on the planet...not so!

Well, the humidity is bad.......but the good news.....the temperature here today is 77 degrees.

Love the food, music, the people and the food and the food :)

And the Saints!!!! Who Dat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member