Legal Questions for Our VERIFIED Lawyers #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I have a question. Is that OK, for me to ask a question on this thread? :) Does anyone have a list of the defense's Frye motions? I was waiting for JB to file the list of specific issues, but it looks like we aren't going to be seeing it until HHJP clears up JB's "confusion." :gavel:

You may have to put out a call to ThinkTank or Nums24 to get "the complete list"!:waitasec:

Hey, I have a question. Is that OK, for me to ask a question on this thread? :) Does anyone have a list of the defense's Frye motions? I was waiting for JB to file the list of specific issues, but it looks like we aren't going to be seeing it until HHJP clears up JB's "confusion." :gavel:

P1569 has a pretty good summary of them over in the "defense files for more time" thread, with links to all of the filings and counter filings.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6144464&postcount=363"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2011.01.25 Defense Requests More Time to Submit Expert Reports[/ame]

P1569 has a pretty good summary of them over in the "defense files for more time" thread, with links to all of the filings and counter filings.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2011.01.25 Defense Requests More Time to Submit Expert Reports

Thank you!! So based on that post, it looks like the Frye list is:

Root Growth Opinion
Stain in Trunk of Car
Chloroform in Trunk
Decompositional Odor Analysis of Anthony's Car (no response yet from SA)
Post-Mortem Banding of Hair (no response yet from SA)

If I were HHJP, I would say:
IN
IN
IN
OUT
IN

(absent any new and exciting info that comes out in the hearing).

:gavel:

AZ - RE: Your opinion (which I highly respect!) about the decomp odor analysis being out...would this then apply to all references about the odor (CA, GA, YM, etc.) "knowing" what that smell was? Or will that only apply to the actual testing? I know he's already trying to get it all tossed. I'm just wondering if the testing doesn't make it in, will it then follow that no other references to the smell will be excluded...

It is not so. :) Evidence that makes her look too guilty cannot be thrown out for that reason. Hopefully you feel better now lol.

I think what you're thinking of is evidence that is too "prejudicial" when compared to its probative value. What this means is that you look at the "probative value" of the evidence--i.e., how much does it tend to prove anything important (especially GUILT)--and then balance it against the "prejudicial value" of the evidence--i.e., how much does it tend to suggest something bad OTHER THAN GUILT? Evidence that very very strongly tends to suggest guilt will NOT be kept out.

As for the jail video, it is not really probative at all from what I've heard, because Casey's behavior is consistent with a guilty mother who realizes she has been caught but also with an innocent mother who realizes her child's body has been found and goes a little nuts and then a little into denial. In other words, the video (at least from the descriptions I've seen of it) won't really help the jury figure out if she's guilty or innocent. So IMO it is likely to be thrown out for irrelevance, before the judge even gets to the question of prejudice.

ETA: I just saw that Mr. Hornsby answered your question also. His answer mentions an additional problem with the jail video--it might be thrown out because it was sneakily obtained by the jail staff, acting on behalf of the State, in an attempt to get Casey to say (or do) something incriminating without her lawyer present.

A bit OT...but AZ you really should teach....or perhaps you do (you certainly do on this forum). It is a true gift to be able to communicate complex information into easily understandable terms and you do it masterfully! That's all.......will stop gushing now. Thank you.... :clap:

AZ - RE: Your opinion (which I highly respect!) about the decomp odor analysis being out...would this then apply to all references about the odor (CA, GA, YM, etc.) "knowing" what that smell was? Or will that only apply to the actual testing? I know he's already trying to get it all tossed. I'm just wondering if the testing doesn't make it in, will it then follow that no other references to the smell will be excluded...

No, no, I just think the Body Farm odor analysis is likely to be tossed out. Actually I sort of hope it will be tossed out because I don't think it's THAT important to the State's case, but I think it will make a great appeal issue if HHJP lets it in.

IMO the science behind the odor analysis is fascinating and quite likely to be valid, but the database of chemicals identified as "decomp" chemicals has not been subject to the kind of peer-reviewable and extensive validation testing necessary to determine whether those chemicals actually indicate the presence of human decomposition. In other words, there's no question that the chemicals were THERE--the question is what they MEAN. Single comparisons like "we found some of the same chemicals in this one other case of a decomposing child in a trunk" are great for developing a HYPOTHESIS to be tested but are not sufficient for drawing a scientific CONCLUSION to be used to convict someone of murder.

Wasn't the motion to exclude all mention of the "smell" a separate motion? I think that motion will be denied. The fact that someone who has smelled human decomp before recognized the same smell in Casey's trunk is highly relevant and is not "scientific" evidence subject to a Frye analysis.

A bit OT...but AZ you really should teach....or perhaps you do (you certainly do on this forum). It is a true gift to be able to communicate complex information into easily understandable terms and you do it masterfully! That's all.......will stop gushing now. Thank you.... :clap:

That's funny--I was a preschool teacher before law school, taught test prep (PSAT, SAT, ACT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT) during law school, taught research, writing, and contracts at the law school, and now I keep getting recruited to substitute teach paralegal classes (research, civil procedure and algebra so far). :)

And I just got a text from my daughter's best friend literally while I was reading your post: "Why does chemistry make sense when we talk about it at your house but not at school?" :floorlaugh:

I agree! As a 2L I read this thread every day and AZLawyer has helped clarify and also confirm what I thought to be true. So, she IS one of my professors. :) Sorry, AZ, that you aren't being compensated. :(

What is a "Certificate of Materiality"? Several were filed today.

No, no, I just think the Body Farm odor analysis is likely to be tossed out. Actually I sort of hope it will be tossed out because I don't think it's THAT important to the State's case, but I think it will make a great appeal issue if HHJP lets it in.

IMO the science behind the odor analysis is fascinating and quite likely to be valid, but the database of chemicals identified as "decomp" chemicals has not been subject to the kind of peer-reviewable and extensive validation testing necessary to determine whether those chemicals actually indicate the presence of human decomposition. In other words, there's no question that the chemicals were THERE--the question is what they MEAN. Single comparisons like "we found some of the same chemicals in this one other case of a decomposing child in a trunk" are great for developing a HYPOTHESIS to be tested but are not sufficient for drawing a scientific CONCLUSION to be used to convict someone of murder.

Wasn't the motion to exclude all mention of the "smell" a separate motion? I think that motion will be denied. The fact that someone who has smelled human decomp before recognized the same smell in Casey's trunk is highly relevant and is not "scientific" evidence subject to a Frye analysis.

Would the same chemicals be found in the same combination/concentration in any other circumstance? If they are only found where decomposition has occurred wouldn't that be validation enough?
Do we yet know what the analysis will say and what exactly their testing methods showed...?

What is a "Certificate of Materiality"? Several were filed today.

This is just something you need before you can go to an out-of-state witness and compel them to appear for the trial.

Would the same chemicals be found in the same combination/concentration in any other circumstance? If they are only found where decomposition has occurred wouldn't that be validation enough? Do we yet know what the analysis will say and what exactly their testing methods showed...?

BBM: That's exactly what hasn't been validated sufficiently. The scientists, IMO, have a good hypothesis going that these chemicals "signal" decomp, but their database is too small, too private, and contains too few comparisons.

We got the air analysis report a really long time ago. My notes say that there were 6 chemicals identified in the air "off-gassed" from the trunk carpet that (1) are "associated with" decomp, (2) were not found in the air from the trunk carpet of a car of the same make and model, (3) were not found in the air from the trash bag items, (4) were not found in the air from the vehicle interior, (5) were not found in the air from the lab, (6) were not found in the air from an old pizza ;), (7) were not found in gasoline, (8) were not found in the air from the OSCO forensics garage, (9) were not found in a "test blank" (I guess this controls for chemicals in the testing equipment itself?), and (10) were found in the air from a blanket that was wrapped around a decomposing child kept in a trunk for a period of time in another murder case.

IF the defense wins the argument, Is it permanent? Or just for this case?

I mean, in a different case, would they have the possibility of using the technology in court?

IF the defense wins the argument, Is it permanent? Or just for this case?

I mean, in a different case, would they have the possibility of using the technology in court?

This is just at the trial court level, so every trial court judge gets to make up his or her own mind. They don't have to follow HHJP.

But I hope this technology gets refined and tested extensively, with results and databases published and peer-reviewed. Then it can be admitted at the trial court level AND not disallowed on appeal. :)

This is just something you need before you can go to an out-of-state witness and compel them to appear for the trial.

BBM: That's exactly what hasn't been validated sufficiently. The scientists, IMO, have a good hypothesis going that these chemicals "signal" decomp, but their database is too small, too private, and contains too few comparisons.

We got the air analysis report a really long time ago. My notes say that there were 6 chemicals identified in the air "off-gassed" from the trunk carpet that (1) are "associated with" decomp, (2) were not found in the air from the trunk carpet of a car of the same make and model, (3) were not found in the air from the trash bag items, (4) were not found in the air from the vehicle interior, (5) were not found in the air from the lab, (6) were not found in the air from an old pizza ;), (7) were not found in gasoline, (8) were not found in the air from the OSCO forensics garage, (9) were not found in a "test blank" (I guess this controls for chemicals in the testing equipment itself?), and (10) were found in the air from a blanket that was wrapped around a decomposing child kept in a trunk for a period of time in another murder case.

From where I sit that looks pretty convincing!

From where I sit that looks pretty convincing!

I agree--I was very convinced until I really started thinking about it from a Frye standpoint. The questionable part is, what do they mean by chemicals "associated with decomposition"? How many chemicals did they test? How many tests did they run? On what subjects? How STRONGLY were those chemicals "associated" with decomp? What other things are those same chemicals associated with? The database is secret, the test results are secret, they likely haven't had THAT many bodies to test (especially if they need to run repeated tests on bodies that decomposed in different environments, etc.)...there are just a lot of unanswered questions, and I suspect if the answers were provided they would indicate that a lot more validation testing is needed.

And why was the decomposing squirrel they tested not included in their chart of chemicals found? :waitasec:

ETA: By the way, this of course is the point of the Frye hearings--to keep away from the jury things that look really convincing but might be wrong. :)

I just want to ask a question about the JAC (taxpayers' money) money given to the Defense team.

Can the JAC ask for a complete 'up to the minute' accounting of every cent that has been given to the Defense?

I would like to know for a fact that every penney went where it was supposed to go WHEN it was awarded!

I agree--I was very convinced until I really started thinking about it from a Frye standpoint. The questionable part is, what do they mean by chemicals "associated with decomposition"? How many chemicals did they test? How many tests did they run? On what subjects? How STRONGLY were those chemicals "associated" with decomp? What other things are those same chemicals associated with? The database is secret, the test results are secret, they likely haven't had THAT many bodies to test (especially if they need to run repeated tests on bodies that decomposed in different environments, etc.)...there are just a lot of unanswered questions, and I suspect if the answers were provided they would indicate that a lot more validation testing is needed.

And why was the decomposing squirrel they tested not included in their chart of chemicals found? :waitasec:

ETA: By the way, this of course is the point of the Frye hearings--to keep away from the jury things that look really convincing but might be wrong. :)

I'm grumbling,but of course that makes complete sense.
So how does any new scientific method get past Frye?

I just want to ask a question about the JAC (taxpayers' money) money given to the Defense team.

Can the JAC ask for a complete 'up to the minute' accounting of every cent that has been given to the Defense?

I would like to know for a fact that every penney went where it was supposed to go WHEN it was awarded!

The JAC demands an accounting BEFORE they give any money to the defense. The amounts that are "authorized" are not actually handed over to the defense until the work is done and documented.

I'm grumbling,but of course that makes complete sense.
So how does any new scientific method get past Frye?

By being sufficiently and publicly validated so that the community of scientists in that general field says "yes, this totally makes sense." It doesn't have to take a long time for that to happen, if the supporting data is there.

AZ, RH and any legals I am missing...Would it be legal for me to shrink you and carry you around in my pocket eveywhere I go?
And, shouldn't there be a law against attorneys being so darned helpful, gratis?

You guys are the best!

Serious legal question that might seem ridiculously dumb, but I never thought about this-If a found-guilty KC is paid money for this murder by any media outlet, can/will the JAC or Florida taxpayers sue? I am guessing no, but I do not have a JD behind my name...
If yes, and if ZG wins her suit, who gets paid first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam