Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope that with all of the concerns regarding the reactors, etc...that the immediate needs of food, water, shelter, rescue etc...are not being forgotten by anyone who is able to help. It seems as the news is fixated (granted, rightly so) with the nuclear aspect of the disaster.

IF #2 blew up, like I believe happened at Chernobyl? What does that mean to ALL of us, Japanese, American, and the world? This is really bothering me.

First off, if something vital, like the containment vessel around the core and rods, that would mean a LOT of radiation is going out of there - deadly to LOTS of people in the area. If lots of radiation goes into the air, how much? Another big cloud like Chernobyl, one that will go around the world several times? Will the U.S. Pacific Coast get a good dose of radiation? I'm not sure, at this moment, what the worst scenario could mean for any of us out of the area. Any ideas?

can someone explain this in laymans terms pretty please :)
http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/14/news/international/bank_of_japan_earthquake/index.htm?cnn=yes&hpt=T2

apanese officials said Monday they will backstop the country's financial system with a cash injection of more than $180 billion to buffer it against the impact of last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami.

The Bank of Japan doubled the size of its existing asset-purchase program to ¥10 trillion from ¥5 trillion. In addition it pumped an additional ¥10 trillion into the economy through a record "funds-supplying" operation, bringing the total new cash to ¥15 trillion, or about $183 billion.

ETA: shouldn't all that money go to helping the people?? I don't understand what they are doing with it.....

It's like setting a backfire using money.

IF #2 blew up, like I believe happened at Chernobyl? What does that mean to ALL of us, Japanese, American, and the world? This is really bothering me.

First off, if something vital, like the containment vessel around the core and rods, that would mean a LOT of radiation is going out of there - deadly to LOTS of people in the area. If lots of radiation goes into the air, how much? Another big cloud like Chernobyl, one that will go around the world several times? Will the U.S. Pacific Coast get a good dose of radiation? I'm not sure, at this moment, what the worst scenario could mean for any of us out of the area. Any ideas?

I have no idea.. but i have the exact same questions.. I saw a map earlier that showed it flowing as far east as Chicago.. and it wasn't the company plaid map either.. but another one. It's back a few threads....

I'm totally ignorant on huge financial matters... but is this to replace the cash in banks ruined from the earthquake and flood??

I'm no financial genius either, just used to play the stock market a lot. I believe it means they are going to "prop" up their economy, back it, with government dollars so the whole economy doesn't collapse - sort of like a "push" in black jack - equal (more or less)

My opinion anyway

Off hand I don't know what the radiation reports mean in measurement, not wrapped my head around it yet.

BREAKING NEWS: Radiation at Fukushima plant briefly hits 8,217 micro sievert per hour: TEPCO

BREAKING NEWS: TEPCO detects radiation of 8,217 micro sievert per hour, 8 times annual limit

BREAKING NEWS: Water level rises to cover 1.2 m of No. 2 reactor's fuel rods: TEPCO

Blast heard at Fukushima's No.2 reactor: gov't

NEWS ADVISORY: 1,300 people isolated in Kesennuma, Miyagi Pref.

BREAKING NEWS: Lower pressure after blast suggests damage to suppression pool: agency

BREAKING NEWS: Lower pressure after blast triggers damage to suppression pool: agency

BREAKING NEWS: Radioactive materials feared to be leaking: safety agency

BREAKING NEWS: Higher radiation levels measured in Ibaraki -- south of Fukushima

BREAKING NEWS: Some workers begin to evacuate No. 2 reactor: TEPCO

AT&T, Verison offer free int'l calling, text messages to Japan

BREAKING NEWS: Radiation tops legal limit after blast heard at Fukushima nuke plant

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/

URGENT: Blast heard at Fukushima's No.2 reactor: gov't

A couple of thoughts.... it's amazing that these nuclear plants were not designed to withstand multiple threats. (All IMO with the limited info I get from the news.)
The diesel backup generators were too venerable to water damage – as tsunami following a quake should have thought of. So despite all the expense and effort in building very substantial reactor vessels, the more simple area of protecting diesel generators was overlooked (IMO).

The focus on the news has been how well the reactor vessels were designed, but never-the-less the these complexes are just that, and as a system - it failed in terms of remaining a viable system. Using sea-water is a last resort, self-destruct action.
In the long run, it’s going to cost allot of money to clean up.

I am not against nuclear power, but can it be done right? I wouldn’t want to live close to a power plant, fearing not enough thought has been given to “what if’s” -not only for natural disasters, but terrorist threats and combinations of all of the above.

Lastly, my heart goes out to brave people who are working at these reactor sites, sacrificing their safety to avert disaster.

I think it means we all get to look forward to a lot of cancers down the road that are never blamed on the radiation or the explosion... unfortunately.

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member