LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would LE be withholding info from the public? I woul dthink they would wantthe public to be involved in this case. That they would want us going through these photos; that we heads and hearts and would willingly go through 50 more photos if released. If this were my family, I would TELL LE NOT TO WITHHOLD INFO FROM THE PUBLIC.

Sometimes-LE holds their best info back as to not let the suspect know they are on to them.This is MOOC-

RBBM: Well, if your child was harmed by another, you might care about the outcome of the case if the sleuthing was legal or not.

Most of us don't have the means to hire a PI. And some of them have a terrible reputation for taking grieving parents' money. So, I guess I would have to put my faith in LE, unless or until they gave me a reason not to do so.

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

Sad but true. Lots of shady PI's out there. When spending the kind of money required to hire one it is in your best interest to make sure they are legitimate and professional

Morning, all! My "all nighter" crash landed around 11:45 I'm afraid. But I had to kill a spider armed only with a can of Lysol (me, not the spider) at 5:30 this morning, so my adrenaline is pumping!

I just got caught up on the thread from yesterday...a log? And a "wooden" log at that. Hrmmm. Seems like it took a lot of people an awfully long time to verify that it was a wooden log out there. :waitasec:

I hope you smushed it after you Lysol'd it! I am absolutely terrified by the thought of a Brown Recluse bite. I've taken care of several people who suffered horrible injury as a result of the Recluse.

Confirmation from here. We've worked with the PI in the past, knew that he'd been on this case from the start, and we've been calling in tips to him. IMO, he's very good at his work.

Yes, he's one of the few good PI's in the area. I have no doubt he is doing all he can.

I suppose all LEO's are different but ours were exceptional when our son went missing. They were thorough and precise. They worked diligently and came to our home numerous times each day and night. They allowed me to work the phone records myself, since AT&T didn't want to release the cell records without a lot of paperwork. I finally broke down, cried and pitched a fit then begged....and some sweet lady gave in and sent them to me.

When our son was found, they allowed my husband (who was/is a chaplain with the sheriff's department), to wear a Kevlar vest and go in with them to retrieve him. It was pretty amazing for him to be a part of that recovery. I can't say enough good things about our Police Department.

Shelly, check out this map. It seems to be the "official" google map being used by the findmickeynow website. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...ll=30.223058,-92.020594&spn=0.007908,0.016512

The pins seem to be in the order in which they think the pictures were taken.

I'm not sure it's 'official' as such. It's not linked on the official pages for Mickey and I believe it originated from one of the local news facebook pages a few days ago. It does seem to have a clear order though and does seem to bring clarity to those confused about the trucks.

Let's hope the searches find something today. Thinking of Mickeys family, don't know how they would of coped last night with everything. I hope for answers soon.

Why would LE be withholding info from the public? I woul dthink they would wantthe public to be involved in this case. That they would want us going through these photos; that we heads and hearts and would willingly go through 50 more photos if released. If this were my family, I would TELL LE NOT TO WITHHOLD INFO FROM THE PUBLIC.

BBM: Again, to protect the integrity of the investigation, to protect the victim, to protect the victim's family, and perhaps to prevent another victim.

The victim's family does NOT tell LE how and what to release.

IMO, JMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

RBBM: Well, if your child was harmed by another, you might care about the outcome of the case if the sleuthing was legal or not.

Most of us don't have the means to hire a PI. And some of them have a terrible reputation for taking grieving parents' money. So, I guess I would have to put my faith in LE, unless or until they gave me a reason not to do so.

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

If I found the person who harmed my child before the police, there would be a thread on the perp here. Period. Societal norms be damned.

Because that's what they do. I find it amazing that people think LE releases all info and evidence. The family does not decide what is or is not released. :banghead:

I'm not sure it's 'official' as such. It's not linked on the official pages for Mickey and I believe it originated from one of the local news facebook pages a few days ago. It does seem to have a clear order though and does seem to bring clarity to those confused about the trucks.

Let's hope the searches find something today. Thinking of Mickeys family, don't know how they would of coped last night with everything. I hope for answers soon.

I used quotes around the word official for that reason but the link on the left side links the findmickeynow website not a news organization.

Locard’s Exchange Principle. This principleamplifies one of the most salient points in criminology, and that is “every contact leaves a trace.”
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13221197/Crime-Scene-Reconstruction-and-Analysis-

"Using this principle, for the life of me I can't understand why the exact location of the abduction of Mickey Schunick hasn't been located by investigators'. Seems that K9s could have easily identified the spot, as well as MS's route within the 1st or 2nd day.
Here we are 12/13 days out without this critical info, that would be very important for receiving public tips.

I remember reading over and over again that she was on Versailles at 1:47 am and on St Landry at 1:48 am. But never heard what time the pickup was on St Landry.
We (I) are trying to determine whether the pickup came after her or before her on st Landry. Can you tell any order from these photos?

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 13
  • odd gait.jpg
    odd gait.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 13
  • mickey1.jpeg
    mickey1.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 14
Shelly, check out this map. It seems to be the "official" google map being used by the findmickeynow website. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...ll=30.223058,-92.020594&spn=0.007908,0.016512

The pins seem to be in the order in which they think the pictures were taken.
Thanx! I was just about to post that for anyone who hasn't seen it. Just need some uninterrupted time to study it since I'm still in my Lafayette geography learning curve. A lot of the discussion of the surv. photos mixed in with umpteen theories managed to confuse me (so easy to do).

Here's another helpful image...aerial photo of the Whiskey Bay exit (posted by chicken fried). The wide "coffee with cream"-colored river running north-south on the far left is what locals call "the Whiskey Bay pilot channel", and the narrow band of water with straight edges on the upper rite (it has the I-10 symbol on it) is either called "the boat launch canal" or "the work canal". The left-most end of the work canal is "the boat launch".

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/domerally10/Whiskey_Bay.jpg

cf's and ven's posts:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7988379&postcount=772"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #14[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7988440&postcount=795"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #14[/ame]

This image and those posts cleared up a lot of confusion for me. :)

P.I.'s are always a good idea if you want a very thorough, non-stop, all time devoted, investigation. Because unlike police, we are paid very very well to do that and only that. It has all of our attention, where as cops cant logistically do that.

Did you go sleuthing around again on Brashear?

Did anything stand out to you in that neighborhood?

Do you picture it happened in that neighborhood potentially or that she made it to Johnston?

I would think that by the time the bike was found at Whiskey bay, considering the current, LE would search in an area away from Whiskey Bay, based on time that has passed and the speed of the current. I dunno? I wish Mickey would show up healthy and happy!

i have a question regarding the hand-grips being found... if it has been cleared up, i could not find where...

were they found on the bike or separated (cut off)?

if they were cut off, it should be easy to tell if they were cut with a pocket knife or a utility blade based on pressure applied (based on the markings left on the handles)...

the reason i ask is many people do not carry a utility knife in their vehicles aside from painters, construction workers, etc...

if cut with a pocket knife, we might be able to assume that the bike was loaded up and grips were cut in-route or under the bridge...

if a utility knife was used, that might imply that they were cut off at a residence/business implying a stop may have been made somewhere in between... or at least be a clue as to perps profession.

i know it is thin... but these little details might mean something to someone whereas they might mean nothing to someone else...

thx...

Not sure about the size thing. But yeah, unfortunately we dont know which of those pics actually comes first. If the truck is behind her it says something pretty major. If it passed first.....who knows what that means. But either way, its not caught on the next camera at 215 st. Landry.
And 215 st landry is where the olds was caught on surv vid, not too far down. Correct?

I'm just now getting why y'all were suggesting places where she turned off.

It took me a good while to figure out where that surv vid of the olds was from and now Im wondering why I didn't figure out right then that the bike and truck didn't show up.

I'm gettin too old I guess.

Locard’s Exchange Principle. This principleamplifies one of the most salient points in criminology, and that is “every contact leaves a trace.”

"Using this principle, for the life of me I can't understand why the exact location of the abduction of Mickey Schunick hasn't been located by investigators'. Seems that K9s could have easily identified the spot, as well as MS's route within the 1st or 2nd day.
Here we are 12/13 days out without this critical info, that would be very important for receiving public tips.
Thanks, I can never remember the name of that principle - always good to have it so one can toss it in the conversation and seem frighteningly learned: "Yes, I see; however, Locard's exchange principle states simply that, with each incidence of contact, the perpetrator...." etc. etc. I must memorize that name. And it's such a simple yet wonderful concept.

Locard's exchange principle and Edmond Locard (Wiki)

agreed. ive been wondering this as well. i still dont think the bike was hit, however. and im still wondering about human trafficking. is there a usual method of capture they use? if so, im thinking there was someone on foot as well as a getaway car. forgive my all lowercase and lack of apostrophes. im typing with one hand. baby in he other

i have a question regarding the hand-grips being found... if it has been cleared up, i could not find where...

were they found on the bike or separated (cut off)?

if they were cut off, it should be easy to tell if they were cut with a pocket knife or a utility blade based on pressure applied (based on the markings left on the handles)...

the reason i ask is many people do not carry a utility knife in their vehicles aside from painters, construction workers, etc...

if cut with a pocket knife, we might be able to assume that the bike was loaded up and grips were cut in-route or under the bridge...

if a utility knife was used, that might imply that they were cut off at a residence/business implying a stop may have been made somewhere in between... or at least be a clue as to perps profession.

i know it is thin... but these little details might mean something to someone whereas they might mean nothing to someone else...

thx...

We aren't sure if they were attached or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks