CA CA - Douglas 'Kim' Armstrong, 19, Palo Alto, 1 April 1975

it is probably temp unavailable, it worked earlier, i will check again later, just to make sure. thanks

it is probably temp unavailable, it worked earlier, i will check again later, just to make sure. thanks

link to same source not working on other threads either...it will open when I google his name and find the site ...hmmm. Weird how this stuff works isn't it!

Douglas Kimberly Armstrong
Missing since April 1, 1975 - Palo Alto, California
(carolwood)
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/armstrong_douglas.html

sidebyside_armstrong_douglas_kimber.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...g_douglas.html

This says he went missing from his parents home, but also says some say he went missing on east coast, driving to school, college, I think.
Pro: 5'11'' is right., blue eyes.
His nose seems right. The picture is blurry and he has facial hair, but ...
could be.

This is his sophomore year school picture
04ea9aa581da1bfe585307c8943b5489.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas-Armstrong-73586_2.jpg

MISSING SINCE: 04/01/1975
SEX: Male
DOB: 10/24/1955
RACE: White
HEIGHT: 5' 11"
EYES: Blue
WEIGHT: 160 lbs.
HAIR: Gray
NICKNAME: Kim
CLOTHING: 3/4 length brown corduroy coat, blue jeans and a lavender,blue and white striped long sleeve shirt.
Wears glasses.
DENTAL X-RAYS AVAILABLE: Yes
Douglas was last seen on April 1, 1975, in Palo Alto.

Contact AGENCY:
Palo Alto Police Department
PHONE NUMBER: (650) 329-2415
CASE NUMBER: 75-3251

LINK:

I was trying to find a match to this UID and wondered if he could be Kim. He was found 11 days after Kim disappeared but in Philadelphia, PA. Stats line up well enough. 5’2”-5’9” is a pretty wide range and not far from 5’11” at the high end.

F02EBF20-42D2-4877-B824-0E97146A9D3D.jpegB9B4A63B-F4F9-4BDE-B9EC-5BCDCB617C9C.jpeg
ETA: I went ahead and submitted.

Last edited:

• armstrong_douglas.jpg
  • armstrong_douglas2.jpg
Armstrong in 1971 (four years prior to his disappearance); Armstrong, circa 1975
  • Missing Since 04/01/1975
  • Missing From Palo Alto, California
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Birthdate 10/24/1955 (67)
  • Age 19 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'11, 160 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A long-sleeved lavender, blue and white-striped shirt, a brown corduroy three-quarter length coat, blue jeans and size 9 shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Armstrong may have a mustache, beard or a goatee. He wears eyeglasses with black plastic frames. His nickname is Kim.

Details of Disappearance​

Armstrong resided with his parents in Palo Alto, California in 1975. He walked away from their house in the 4300 block of Miranda Avenue on April 1, 1975 and did not return. Armstrong has never been heard from again. His family stated that it is uncharacteristic of him to not contact any of his loved ones.

Armstrong graduated from Henry M. Gunn High School in 1973. Some reports state that he disappeared while driving to school on the eastern seaboard of the United States. After his disappearance there were tips that he was in prison in Mexico under an assumed name, but this has never been verified and his case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Palo Alto Police Department 650-329-2415

Source Information​

Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 7, 2015; details of disappearance updated.

These articles provide many more details. I hadn’t noticed him wearing braces in the other photos and they are not mentioned anywhere, so he may not have had them by the time he disappeared.

He spoke fluent German and Spanish and played the piano and guitar.

Kim had visited his family in Palo Alto for Easter. On April 17, 1975, he withdrew $133 from his $136 bank account and disappeared. Prior to his disappearance, he attended Haverford College in Pennsylvania for a brief time. After a few weeks in PA, he consulted the school psychiatrist and wanted to return home. His parents convinced him to stay for the term. Then he returned home and moved to a rooming house in San Francisco (1110 Hollister St, described as “a rugged environment”) where he was living when he disappeared.

His family uncovered that he may have had a “drug experience” at Haverford. Friends in San Francisco claimed that Kim was not on drugs at the time. He’d also commented to friends that “he was going away for a week” prior to his disappearance and hinted that he felt pushed into studying science/technology. His father was a physicist and scientific research manager at IBM, the company that awarded Kim his scholarship.

IMG_2767.jpeg

Last edited:
These articles provide many more details. I hadn’t noticed him wearing braces in the other photos and they are not mentioned anywhere, so he may not have had them by the time he disappeared.
RSBM
In his sophomore picture, it looks like he is wearing full braces. By the time of his senior photo, he was only wearing a retainer (see photos below).
I know firsthand what they look like, I had them too (also wore a headgear).
MOO BTDT
kimarmstsoph.jpgkimarmstsr.jpg
ETA: multi-quoting is not working right, reposting the sophomore and senior pics without quotes

Last edited:
RSBM
In his sophomore picture, it looks like he is wearing full braces. By the time of his senior photo, he was only wearing a retainer (see photos below).
I know firsthand what they look like, I had them too (also wore a headgear).
MOO BTDT
View attachment 447692View attachment 447693
ETA: multi-quoting is not working right, reposting the sophomore and senior pics without quotes
Ah! Thanks for explaining. I’m not familiar with either so it didn’t occur to me it could be a retainer!

I wonder which school he was said to be heading to on the east coast?
View attachment 425224
Looks like the school he had attended was in Philidelphia, very close to where this John Doe was found. THe beard no moustache look is also very similar to the one his dad was wearing in the newpaper pictures.

I have the impression that if he escaped... with a vehicle and we don't know how much money he had, it could be that he is in Mexico or another country with another name if he is still alive...
either way
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288