Bird plane runs afoul of federal regulators

Reality Orlando

Verified Aquaculturalist
Reaction score
This is just so sad. Government regulations are out of control and taking over every aspect of our lives. Is there no common sense left? A quick phone call should have cleared this up. Poor birds. Let's hope the right decision is made to get these youngsters where they need to be.

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- Ten young whooping cranes and the bird-like plane they think is their mother had flown more than halfway to their winter home in Florida when federal regulators stepped in.

Now the birds and the plane are grounded in Alabama while the Federal Aviation Administration investigates whether the journey violates regulations because the pilot was being paid by a conservation group to lead the cranes on their first migration instead of working for free."

"...The grounded birds are part of the organization's 10-year effort to re-establish an Eastern flyway that disappeared in the late 1800s when the last whooping cranes flying that route died off, he said. Since there were no birds still flying the route, conservationists had to teach young cranes how to make the journey."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WHOOPING_CRANES_GROUNDED?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-01-07-03-24-15

I agree. I read William Lishman's book, Father Goose to my kids just last summer. The film Fly Way Home is inspired by it. Operation Migration has done so much for endangered migratory birds. I hope they get this straightened out quickly.

Here's the response I got today after writing the FAA to voice my concerns. Good for them!:

“The FAA has granted an exemption to Operation Migration that will allow pilots to continue to aid the whooping crane migration. Normally, the FAA limits light sport aircraft and pilots to personal flights without compensation. Because the operation is in “mid-migration,” the FAA is granting a one-time exemption so the migration can be completed. The FAA will work with Operation Migration to develop a more comprehensive, long-term solution.”

Kathleen Bergen
Manager, Atlantic Media Relations
FAA

Here's the response I got today after writing the FAA to voice my concerns. Good for them!:

“The FAA has granted an exemption to Operation Migration that will allow pilots to continue to aid the whooping crane migration. Normally, the FAA limits light sport aircraft and pilots to personal flights without compensation. Because the operation is in “mid-migration,” the FAA is granting a one-time exemption so the migration can be completed. The FAA will work with Operation Migration to develop a more comprehensive, long-term solution.”

Kathleen Bergen
Manager, Atlantic Media Relations
FAA

I really hope they can work something out for the Fl. program, especially since the whooping cranes in Tex. are having trouble surviving due to the drought:

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=7&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L7_UNEWS

That is so sad Reader! It's good news though that the FAA is now allowing the other group to continue on to Florida..yay! I love the Operation Migration program..the whole thing with imprinting, and how they get the chicks to recognize the plane as their parent is simply amazing! Let's pray the Texas cranes are able to find food and continue on to have a successful migration and nesting as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back