2010.04.26 Communications to and from jail

Emma Peel

an unexpected turn of events
Reaction score
Maybe LE is waiting on the results from those items they indicated they sent off to several labs? If they thought any of those things had an inkling of a clue, I do suspect they would wait until they knew those answers. What has been going on since the search - wow I bet LE has been combing through phone calls, contacting anyone and everyone who got letters from the POI's to see if they are willing to share, likely more talks with Tommy and his lawyer, maybe more with Misty and whoever else. I bet LE is very busy.

ooo ooo ooh! raisincharlie, this raises the question that I've been meaning to ask for quite some time, but I keep forgetting...

When a jail inmate writes letters from jail, does LE have the right/opportunity to open & screen them before they are posted to the mails?

Inmates can't pass letters through their lawyer can they?

TIA if anyone knows...

ooo ooo ooh! raisincharlie, this raises the question that I've been meaning to ask for quite some time, but I keep forgetting...

When a jail inmate writes letters from jail, does LE have the right/opportunity to open & screen them before they are posted to the mails?

TIA if anyone knows...

Emma Peel - ask Whisperer about that - Whisperer has first hand knowledge about that issue.

Yes, it just maybe the quiet before the storm...

No more recorded jail phone calls lately either.

I have to wonder if everyone ran out of money for those calls. They were burning the wires in the beginning, lack of money and no communications 2 or 3 times a day might be what starts the loose lips storms.

I have to wonder if everyone ran out of money for those calls. They were burning the wires in the beginning, lack of money and no communications 2 or 3 times a day might be what starts the loose lips storms.

I don't think so. LP said (I believe on NG) the other night that he is putting money on Misty's phone account. IIRC.

I don't think so. LP said (I believe on NG) the other night that he is putting money on Misty's phone account. IIRC.

He was putting it on Lisa and Hank's account. This would restrict her calls to their phone number but would do nothing to let her speak with Timmy or Granny. Granny admitted she had no minutes and hadn't heard from them after that Sunday because of that.

I actually heard somewhere that Granny did have a regular phone which made her easy to call, unlike the pre-paids with this family can only get through someone's charity.

I actually heard somewhere that Granny did have a regular phone which made her easy to call, unlike the pre-paids with this family can only get through someone's charity.

It actually has to do with which phone company you use. I use Comcast for my landline service so my only option is to prepay for my loved one to call me.

My loved ones g-ma has AT&T and collect calls from the jail are directly put on her phone bill every month.

Emma Peel - ask Whisperer about that - Whisperer has first hand knowledge about that issue.

Keeping in mind, my kge is limited to State Prisons. Staff are supposed to read incoming and outgoing mail. Seldom happens. It they are told to by admin that there is good reason to do so they will. Frankly, I have not seen them read incoming but have seen them read outgoing at times, when they are told. High profile case like Cummings will be watched closely.

Now that florida has let computers in with attorneys (un-freaken believable), all kinds of communciation can go on with this. lawyers can type and transport anything they want. Yes, much goes out through the attorneys briefcase...even prior to recent technology.

Communications and drugs on inside is an eye-opener. I have looked at many pencils and have never figured out they were a parcel for drugs and notes. I could not see where they came apart but these inmates become extremely smart about their drugs and communications. It may take time for them to hone their skills. Their apprenticeship starts in County and is finished at State.

Staff has always known lawyers can take things out and bring them in but there is nothing that can be done. Lawyers are untouchable...privacy issues, you know..our laws protect the inmate.

TIA if anyone knows...

Emma, I believe that LE can censor outgoing mail, but don't know that they actually do. There must be an awful lot of mail each day, and who has time to read all of it? KWIM? I suppose they could focus on certain inmates and be sure to real ALL of that mail that LE would be interested in getting info from.

Also, from Caylee's case, we learned that even though it's against the rules to send mail in/out with lawyers, it can and does happen.

I hope we get a doc dump soon.
LE will likely have all their jailhouse phone calls recorded and any communications that went on maybe it'll help sort all this out.
They are all finger-pointing at each other.

Here is some information on inmate mail censorship...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6399/is_4_67/ai_n29194530/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

If an inmate consents to sending or receiving mail at the institution, the inmate's mail, both incoming and outgoing, is subject to being opened, examined and censored. Moreover, once the U.S. Postal Service delivers the mail, it becomes the property of the institution, not the inmate. It is up to the discretion of the institution as to how mail will be processed. Outgoing mail is also the property of the institution until it is handed over to the U.S. Postal Service. Until it is accepted by a U.S. Postal Service employee or deposited in one of its receptacles, correspondence is no different than any other inmate property. Correctional facilities would be well within their authority to open, examine and censor outgoing correspondence and packages. Most facilities have a system to allow private communication for special mail such as legal correspondence, communications with members of Congress, courts and other similar circumstances. These policies do not necessarily preclude the screening of inmate mail for dangerous materials.

How in the hello did I start this thread?

That is completely beyond my technical abilities.
:floorlaugh:

Just a shout out to the mod who helped, from off-topic-emma-embarassed. :blush:

I'm with you on that. I kinda thought we were talking about the "calm" before the storm as in no releasing of jail house phone calls, letters, etc...

Now I realize that we were all sliding into a different conversation/topic. My apologies to the mods. I certainly do appreciate the forum rules an the hard work you all put into running a tight ship.

I do believe that communication is still going on between this bunch and LE is monitoring it heavily. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I'll bet the mailroom copy machine works overtime on their letters. Copy, copy! Just think of the doc dumps this case is going to bring us!

Yes the jailhouse can monitor and screen all incoming and outgoing mail, just like they do telephone calls. No they're NOT supposed to pass any third party correspondence through their attorneys. We know the rules aren't always enforced.

With the current Satsuma Five, I'm sure they check everything.

Thanks Whisperer for the information of how it is designed to work, i.e. the mail.

I suspect their mail is indeed being monitored rather closely since Nay Nay's letters slipped out - perhaps things have tightened up a bit.

With regard to this bunch currently in jail - I want to think LE has been monitoring the mail closely and I want to think that when Sheriff Hardy said the search was the result of information obtained over a few weeks, that a good portion of that came from the mail, in their own words so to speak. I want to think that since the revelation that Misty was sending letters to her Mum asking for them to be forwarded to Ron. I just feel there has been some form of communication between them somehow, two phone calls to GMa Hollers from two in jail within 15 minutes of each other on the same day....still seems suspicious to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back