Melissa Huckaby, Suspect- thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This story shows how it important to be very careful and not let ourselves get carried away in anger over what happened to sweet, beautiful little Sandra Cantu. A second, innocent woman named Melissa Huckaby lives in Tracy, CA. She's also 28 years old, a single mother of a 5 year old and is a Sunday school teacher. Apparently she's been getting death threats and her whole family is traumatised:

California Sunday School Teacher Mistaken for Accused Child Killer
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Associated Press

Please pardon me if you have come across this message posted on other threads, but it's so important to get the word out even to future visitors or casual visitors who may read only this thread.
I saw an article the other day about the other Melissa. I posted a thread called Mistaken Identity about it. So terrible that this other woman is getting threats. I hope that people take the time to get their facts right.

Well there goes my theory on why the dad got limited visitation.
I need to find the clip. I think it sounds like he was talking about currently...as in they don't see it right now. I don't believe he can speak to the past. ;)

I don't know if this link has already been posted but I found it very interesting.

http://www.momlogic.com/2009/04/female_sex_offenders.php

What Motivates Female Sex Offenders?
Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Excerpt:

Bringing us Out of Denial

If what is being reported is true regarding the death and sexual abuse of Sandra Cantu, then one positive thing that can come out of this horrible situation is that more children, both boys and girls, will report sexual abuse at the hands of female perpetrators and we as a society will no longer deny the harsh reality of sexual violence at the hands of women. If we continue this cultural denial, we deny the victims the support they need to report the trauma and seek help in their healing.

Welcome to WS, Winnow~

The only clips we saw of Melissa up until that point was her in the Kia and her in the backseat of the unmarked police car. I don't see him making the statement about those. I feel like there is something he was shown from LE (law enforcement) instead. Perhaps they were trying to illicit information on her past behavior from her father or family members by showing them her "confession" or parts of it. I could see LE doing this during questioning if they were adamant she could not have done anything to Sandra. (I would like to find out if there are other "films", too. It is suspected by other parents she was into child *advertiser censored* according to the report from David Bergaud from KOVR on JVM.)

We don't know enough about her ex to say she was exposed to anything during that time, but those are stringent rules for visitation. Time will tell when we see where her daughter is placed now. I am still unclear on who she is with currently. (It was rumored she was with the "father and step mom", but not clear if it was her father or Melissa's father.)

Has Melissa's mother been in Tracy at all since Melissa's arrest?

tia

Not to my knowledge. She could be with Melissa's daughter and trying to cope with everything going on around her right now.

Melissa's father was seen walking with her aunt Joni following the arraignment.
No sign of her mother Judy, to my knowledge.

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search...NlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=Brian+Lawless&c=images&x=wrt

I searched Yahoo News Photos for "Judy Lawless" and came up empty.

Thank you. You would think she surely would want to come to see her daughter in jail. I am sure she has plenty of close family members that would take care of M while she did.

I just sort of find that odd under the dire circumstances.

imo

Thank you. You would think she surely would want to come to see her daughter in jail. I am sure she has plenty of close family members that would take care of M while she did.

I just sort of find that odd under the dire circumstances.

imo
I don't find it odd at all. Why would she need to dive into that media mess? I wouldn't go, if it were my choice.

My take on all this is according to news reports is that the ex could have had an alledged drinking problem, there were reports of domestic violence ( he was blamed), and finally tried to keep or take his child. The man may have been unduly blamed, who knows. As for Melissa's mother. I imagine she's taking care of the child or she is letting her husband, who is being the man of the family and a pastor initially take care of this business.

New here, so don't know how to go back over 100s of postings to find citations.... But I do remember that from Day 1 we have been told that Melissa's daughter was with Melissa's mother on a "previously planned" trip.

In the account of Brian Lawless being notified, he also said that he called his wife, Judy (who was on the trip with Melissa's daughter) visiting relatives. Whether this is in Northern California or Southern California is not clear.

What is clear is that Melissa's daughter is with Melissa's mother, Judy, out of the area. Per TP, the child has been medically evaluated and does not show signs of sexual abuse.

God bless all of you who know how to go back to (or have the patience) find the precise citations.

As a grandmother, I would definitely stay secluded with my granddaughter under these circumstances. I would be just as fearful as everyone else that something inappropriate might have happened to her (even if nothing showed up in a medical evaluation). Keeping her in a stable, safe, loving environment would be the best way to protect her from the media, the trauma of losing her playmate, and the bizarre news regarding her mother, Melissa. In addition, it would offer the best opportunity -- not only to break the news to her gently -- but also to allow her to confide in "Grandma" is there is anything that she needs to share.

JMO

Thanks, Winnow! Great post! (We cheat sometimes by using the Search feature instead of relying on our fantastic memory skills around here. LOL)

Hi all. Two things:

Do any of the threads have a discussion on the note "Cantu, suitcase, water" ? I haven't found where that is discussed. Looking for it if it is there. TIA

I am also a bit concerned she WILL get sympathy from the jury. When she did the crying, shocked, quivering chin thing in court I almost felt sorry for her --( Then I got over that quickly so please don't ridicule me - I am human ) What do you all think? I think gender will unfortunately play into the verdict.

Sgt. Sheneman came out with a statement regarding her daughter and she was seen by professionals with no signs of abuse. I will have to find the clip (I believe I saw it on HLN or one of the talk shows.)

I certainly did not see this. I would love to see the clip. TIA

Hi all. Two things:

Do any of the threads have a discussion on the note "Cantu, suitcase, water" ? I haven't found where that is discussed. Looking for it if it is there. TIA

I am also a bit concerned she WILL get sympathy from the jury. When she did the crying, shocked, quivering chin thing in court I almost felt sorry for her --( Then I got over that quickly so please don't ridicule me - I am human ) What do you all think? I think gender will unfortunately play into the verdict.

Another thing to consider is if she had a long history of being abused by family or others, they might attempt to use that as a defense to 1st-degree murder. Do you remember the Menendez brothers' trial? Leslie Abrahmson was their attorney, and she got those two boys up on the stand crying their eyes out with stories of horrific abuse at the hands of their father. The trial turned into a circus, and resulted in a hung jury, but fortunately they were convicted in a second trial.

I'm sure the defense will play whatever cards they have available...temporary insanity...long-standing abuse...accidental death...whatever might stick.

Hi all. Two things:

I'm not so sure in the end that she will garner sympathy, not against the video of innocent carefree Hello Kitty loving Sandra skipping towards that terrible terrible end of her life.:(

Hi all. Two things:

Snipped and bolded by me.

I think it is normal human nature to feel empathy when we see someone in obvious distress, as she was apparently demonstrating. I can understand a first reaction of sympathy, then quickly switching emotions to reality of why she was appearing distressed.

I don't think her gender will play into a verdict. I think the crimes against Sandra will override any sort of sympathy a jury might have.

JMO

I'm not so sure in the end that she will garner sympathy, not against the video of innocent carefree Hello Kitty loving Sandra skipping towards that terrible terrible end of her life.:(

That video of precious little Sandra stopping and turning towards her killer will haunt the jury and focus their minds like a laser beam during deliberations...my hope.

I didn't feel any sympathy or empathy for her standing there while the Judge read off the charges. My thoughts were on Sandra and how horrific her last moments on earth were at the hands of this woman. Melissa's tears were for herself and not for Sandra.

She showed NO compassion for Sandra when talking about her suitcase being stolen and the other things she so casually commented on during her interviews. There were no tears for Sandra being found in her suitcase if it had been stolen! It would bother anyone else to even imagine a child's coffin was a few minutes earlier in their possession!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.