WA WA - Erin MacGregor, 18, Redmond, 19 Sept 1990

On that same day, a deputy ran the license plate from MacGregor’s car in Federal Way. However, police were never able to determine which deputy ran the plate, what time it was run, as well as the reason, because the computer system was down, West said.

After she vanished, her purse and money were found at her house, making it appear unlikely she had run away.

So what we now have is confirmation that Erin left her house without her purse and money. So she must have just taken her wallet with her since her credit card and wallet accessories were found months later throughout the Redmond area where she lived.

And... a new confirmation that the car was pulled over the same day she disappeared. You would think (because their system was down that day) that the police officer who pulled her car over would have had the professional decency to come forward and say, "Hey, you know that missing girl with the photo of the grey/blue Honda CRX that they have been showing around on the news?! Well, I pulled her car over on the day she disappeared for such and such reason. And a so-and-so person was driving the car..."

It really gets me angry when I think about this! It just took a little lack of communication on one person's part to possibly let a potential suspect fall through the cracks and get away with a possible abduction and murder. Sloppiest police work, EVER! King County Police should know to this day which officer and agency pulled Erin's car over that day. To all the police involved... you look like Keystone Kops!

And... a new confirmation that the car was pulled over the same day she disappeared. You would think (because their system was down that day) that the police officer who pulled her car over would have had the professional decency to come forward and say, "Hey, you know that missing girl with the photo of the grey/blue Honda CRX that they have been showing around on the news?! Well, I pulled her car over on the day she disappeared for such and such reason. And a so-and-so person was driving the car..."

I've wondered if the officer just ran the plates (e.g. while sitting in traffic) rather than pull the car over. I believe they do that sometimes if they have a reason to be curious about someone but NOT enough reason to pull them over. Still, you would think that would make the car memorable enough, especially with the somewhat distinctive paint job (at least, I THINK it's distinctive--I sure don't remember many Hondas that looked like that at the time).

Still a strangely small amount of comments on the news stories except for the KomoNews one, and many of those fall into the category of petty bickering and hair-splitting.

I'm getting the same feeling I've had before, that it almost seems that people just don't want to talk about this case!

I've wondered if the officer just ran the plates (e.g. while sitting in traffic) rather than pull the car over. I believe they do that sometimes if they have a reason to be curious about someone but NOT enough reason to pull them over. Still, you would think that would make the car memorable enough, especially with the somewhat distinctive paint job (at least, I THINK it's distinctive--I sure don't remember many Hondas that looked like that at the time).

That could have well been the case, but I think they actually pulled the car over. Even the detective in charge of the case said so in the video segment that was filmed this last year. Yes, because of the paint job on her Honda, it made it very distinctive amongst other models, especially later ones as they did not have pinstripes like hers had.

Still a strangely small amount of comments on the news stories except for the KomoNews one, and many of those fall into the category of petty bickering and hair-splitting.

I'm getting the same feeling I've had before, that it almost seems that people just don't want to talk about this case!

Yeah, it is kind of weird that no one is really talking about it. It happened so long ago now, that probably a lot of people don't remember or recall her disappearance. To me, 1990 seems like yesterday, the early 90's were some some great years, especially if you were a teenager back then. My mom couldn't believe it at first that Erin's remains bad been discovered and identified. Like I said in earlier posts over a month ago, she had followed Erin's case in the news since day one! She didn't think that she would be found alive after all this time, let alone any trace of her remains. She also mentioned all the articles in the local Eastside newspaper that had such detailed info, and once again reiterated to me the article about the Asian man (or men) who were seen driving Erin's CRX in the Seattle area, days after she disappeared.

Wow, its great she was found and identified after all these years, although terrible circumstances. Missing in 1990, "found" 10 years later and finally indentified more then 10 years later. RIP. I wonder how many other bones are sitting on shelves waiting to be identified. :(

To me, 1990 seems like yesterday, the early 90's were some some great years, especially if you were a teenager back then. My mom couldn't believe it at first that Erin's remains bad been discovered and identified.

1990 seems like yesterday to me as well. I graduated from high school (in Texas, not locally) in 1989. I guess having Erin so near to me in age (and appearance, in a way) makes the case more interesting to me.

So what we now have is confirmation that Erin left her house without her purse and money. So she must have just taken her wallet with her since her credit card and wallet accessories were found months later throughout the Redmond area where she lived.

I have always thought it was kind of weird that her purse was left at home, but her wallet was apparently taken. Not many girls/women I know *just* take their wallet when they leave the house. You might as well just take your purse, after all--it can store your keys, wallet, PLUS lip balm and lotion and whatever else you want. It's ultimately more convenient, I think, than carrying just a wallet, especially given that those days many people had bulky checkbooks in their wallets as well.

I wonder if it's possible Erin was abducted out of her home, and the person grabbed her wallet out of her purse rather than be burdened with the whole bag (which might have a weapon in it, after all). I'm assuming the house was buttoned up, though, or else that would have been mentioned in the police reports--or not.

I have always thought it was kind of weird that her purse was left at home, but her wallet was apparently taken. Not many girls/women I know *just* take their wallet when they leave the house. You might as well just take your purse, after all--it can store your keys, wallet, PLUS lip balm and lotion and whatever else you want. It's ultimately more convenient, I think, than carrying just a wallet, especially given that those days many people had bulky checkbooks in their wallets as well.

I wonder if it's possible Erin was abducted out of her home, and the person grabbed her wallet out of her purse rather than be burdened with the whole bag (which might have a weapon in it, after all). I'm assuming the house was buttoned up, though, or else that would have been mentioned in the police reports--or not.

I agree, Sally Steeltoe. I think her leaving her purse and just taking her wallet was really peculiar. My sister in 1990 was the same age as Erin, and I remember my sister and her friends at the time never, ever, went anywhere without their purse. Us guys would always make fun of them and say that it was becoming another part of their bodies. And your theory about Erin being abducted is a compelling one. Her mother in the older articles stated she last saw her the morning of the September 19th as she saw Erin in her bed still asleep. Her mother also confirmed the outfit she had planned on wearing that day for the three interviews was gone from her closet, so her mom thinks the blouse and pants were worn that day.

It is possible that someone knew she would be home alone after her mother left for work and Aimee was in school, too. Perhaps after she was fully dressed, someone unexpected stopped by and maybe took her against her will and did take just the wallet instead of the purse, just like you say.

For having three interviews and having an outfit ready to wear for the day, there is still something odd that stands out... her resume! Did she have them printed and ready to go to take with her? Where they in a carry folder? The reason I ask is that most of us high schoolers at that time had taken Marketing classes and were members of DECA, where we learned the ins and outs of giving a professional job interview. If she had her outfit on, took just her wallet and not her purse, what about copies of her resume? She would have needed to bring at least three to bring with her, and possibly 2-3 more for extras just in case. So the question is... where were her resumes?

Tomorrow is the 23rd (!) anniversary of when Erin went missing. I find myself thinking of her MORE lately, now that she's been found.

I have to say that *usually* when strange notes are found predicting death, the person who finds them is *usually* the author.

Why would someone out to murder this girl attack her boyfriend and then tell him that he's going to kill his girlfriend? Then, after hitting the boyfriend in the face and threatening his girlfriend, he leaves a note?

Did the murderer want more of a challenge in stalking and killing this girl? He wanted to alert her boyfriend?

Sorry, that doesn't make any sense at all. The victim was last seen leaving the boyfriend's house, is that correct? You'd think that he'd have the police involved or at least sit up all night while she slept since some strange man was threatening to kill Erin.

They really need to talk to this boyfriend & let him know that his story is silly and unbelievable. JMO

ETA: I just read the Charley Project page on her--she was last seen sleeping at her mom's--and never seen again. She was supposed to be at her boyfriend's that night, but never showed. Why didn't the boyfriend check with her mother? If she was planning on spending the night there, why wasn't he worried?

I think a number of us here find the boyfriend's story really strange/unbelievable. What I don't understand is why nobody seemed to find it very strange back then.

If similar incidents had happened to one of my boyfriends, and had someone made similar threats to me, I can imagine how my parents might have reacted. The police would likely have been notified, but at the very least, I probably would have had my activities curtailed. I'm sure I would NOT have been allowed to spend the night at my boyfriend's. The news sources I've seen indicate that Erin's mother hadn't immediately notified the police because she ASSUMED Erin had stayed at her boyfriend's house because it was something Erin sometimes did--in other words, she didn't actually know whether Erin had spent the night there. It seems odd that she would have been unconcerned about not hearing from her if she knew about the threats and assault. Did Erin even know? I wonder if this was something the boyfriend talked about only after Erin went missing?

Bump!

Wondering what is happening with Erin's investigation?!!!

I can't believe how little information there is online about this case, and what little there is is rather fishy. Here's a video I found somewhat recently:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2011/03/22/can-you-solve-this-king-county-cold-case-q13/

There are a number of strange things about this case:

1) I find it odd that they couldn't figure out which police officer in Federal Way ran her plates. Her car was pretty distinctive with the multi-colored paint job, yet nobody could remember running the plates?
2) I also find the alleged previous assaults on her boyfriend (mentioned on http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/macgregor_erin.html) to be kind of odd. Were the police contacted at the time of these assaults? Was the boyfriend thoroughly questioned after Erin's disappearance?
3) I've found some discrepancy between articles about whether Erin disappeared the day of her job interviews or the following day (i.e. the video I posted above states that she didn't make it to her interviews but DID make it to her boyfriend's house that evening, where other sources indicate she didn't make it to either the interviews OR her boyfriend's house that evening).
4) Finally, nobody in Columbia City noticed a car sitting there with its lights off, until the battery went dead?

It just seems like this girl vanished a little too quietly. It's heartbreaking, too, that her mother died so shortly afterward.[/QUOTE]

This is going to sound strange, but I think her mother knew. How? She passed away right after her daughter went missing and prolly knew her daughter was murdered and wanted to join her daughter. Yep Strange but it did happen to my mother with my baby brother who was murdered in the hands of his girlfriend. My mother passed away 2 months later.

I always think of Erin around the start of September. She went missing 24 years ago today.

...aaaaand it's almost fall once more, and I remembered Erin again. Just did a quick search and came across an article I can't recall having read before (though it's quite old):

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19900927&slug=1095306

It says the boyfriend "could not provide a good description of the man" who had attacked him at the Redmond gas station. Fishy fishy fishy. I really wish I knew whether this guy had been investigated!

I always think of Erin around the start of September. She went missing 24 years ago today.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back