Kindergartner suspended b/c of mohawk

OK so my question here is this;
What hairstyle do you approve of? Is an afro not allowed? How about shaved because hey someone might think you are a white supremacist? Or can boys not wear long hair because it’s too girly? Alot of you are one way. You don’t' approve of one particular style of hair. I also don't know how your young children are, but my 6 year old chooses his own clothes, toys, and hair. My 6 year old loves to express himself in drawings and style. A lot of kids have their hair spiked or mohawked...it’s called a trend. Maybe some of you older people forget the trends that went on in your day and what people used to say about you.

I agree, if this mom was given notices on her child’s hair, she should've done something then. I would never allow something so trivial to come between my son's education.

As for the ancient symbol used in Germany by the Nazis was first used in Egypt as a symbol of protection. This monstrous man did kill millions. What did the punks do besides rebel authority and scare you guys with their crazy 80's hair?

I should probably let this one lie, but, I want to comment on it.

It really reminds me of growing up when all the kids had rat tails. It use to drive my Mother crazy, because she was a computer teacher and thus looked at the backs of children's heads all day.

Maybe I grew up too conservative, but I don't see a six year old needing a mohawk. Well, let me put it to you this way, it probably wouldn't happen here in eastern North Carolina. They are more upset that they can't wear a John Deer hat all the time.

I do see in this story it being a problem on the parents part.

Also, I love Charter schools, they were a big help to my younger sister. My sister who use to express herself through her socks, because that was her only style "option" in charter school.

I should probably let this one lie, but, I want to comment on it.

It really reminds me of growing up when all the kids had rat tails. It use to drive my Mother crazy, because she was a computer teacher and thus looked at the backs of children's heads all day.

Maybe I grew up too conservative, but I don't see a six year old needing a mohawk. Well, let me put it to you this way, it probably wouldn't happen here in eastern North Carolina. They are more upset that they can't wear a John Deer hat all the time.

I do see in this story it being a problem on the parents part.

Also, I love Charter schools, they were a big help to my younger sister. My sister who use to express herself through her socks, because that was her only style "option" in charter school.

I am in Eastern NC . I would say that there are about 20-30 boys and 1 girl with mohawks at their school. Pretty popular here.

My apologies.

It is obvious I haven't been hanging out with the six year old crowd lately.

This is exactly the issue with schools and parents these days. Instead of working together it is a constant struggle and everyone gets so defensive. Not to say that it is always the parents' fault or always the teachers' fault; yes there are are dumb rules and yes there are kids who are troublemakers, but this is not one of those cases.

These parents had been asked earlier this fall not to have the child's hair cut in a mohawk. We are not talking about a teen who can drive himself or even a preteen who was dropped off at the mall and got a haircut without permission, but a kindergartener! And while it may not specifically say "mohawk" in the student handbook, it does mention being well-groomed, which is a polite way of saying what our handbook puts bluntly: "No extreme hairstyles allowed. The administration will be the final authority on appropriate grooming." After three warnings, I think the school was well within their rights to decide that this family did not fit in to the community the school was trying to create. If this is how they act in November of kindergarten, can you imagine what they'll be like by spring of the year he graduates?

And that's why people apply to charter schools and private schools. If you don't want that type of environment, then don't apply! But my kids are in one specifically so I am not dealing with weapons and drugs and parents who don't give a crap and terrible behavior and appalling home situations. My kids are there for that exact reason - for the "dumb" rules that mean that an infraction is someone's cell phone ringing in a locker or not having a belt on or standing up before the teacher dismisses you. It is annoying when your kid is in detention, but these are nice looking, polite, respectful, well-behaved kids who will (for the most part) go to good high schools and colleges and surround themselves with other good people and, hopefully, lead good lives.

Manners are contagious, and teaching them is not a bad thing. Respect breeds respect, and all these disrespectful parents are teaching their little snowflake is that he is so special and perfect that the rules don't apply to him. People like that are the reason I'm actually happier in private school, where the administration is very quick to disabuse parents of the very notion.

There are no guarantees in life. I can't promise that making kids act repsectful and staying on top of them will turn them into decent people, or that allowing them to run wild and unsupervised will lead them into trouble, but it sure does improve your odds.

This is exactly the issue with schools and parents these days. Instead of working together it is a constant struggle and everyone gets so defensive. Not to say that it is always the parents' fault or always the teachers' fault; yes there are are dumb rules and yes there are kids who are troublemakers, but this is not one of those cases.

These parents had been asked earlier this fall not to have the child's hair cut in a mohawk. We are not talking about a teen who can drive himself or even a preteen who was dropped off at the mall and got a haircut without permission, but a kindergartener! And while it may not specifically say "mohawk" in the student handbook, it does mention being well-groomed, which is a polite way of saying what our handbook puts bluntly: "No extreme hairstyles allowed. The administration will be the final authority on appropriate grooming." After three warnings, I think the school was well within their rights to decide that this family did not fit in to the community the school was trying to create. If this is how they act in November of kindergarten, can you imagine what they'll be like by spring of the year he graduates?

And that's why people apply to charter schools and private schools. If you don't want that type of environment, then don't apply! But my kids are in one specifically so I am not dealing with weapons and drugs and parents who don't give a crap and terrible behavior and appalling home situations. My kids are there for that exact reason - for the "dumb" rules that mean that an infraction is someone's cell phone ringing in a locker or not having a belt on or standing up before the teacher dismisses you. It is annoying when your kid is in detention, but these are nice looking, polite, respectful, well-behaved kids who will (for the most part) go to good high schools and colleges and surround themselves with other good people and, hopefully, lead good lives.

Manners are contagious, and teaching them is not a bad thing. Respect breeds respect, and all these disrespectful parents are teaching their little snowflake is that he is so special and perfect that the rules don't apply to him. People like that are the reason I'm actually happier in private school, where the administration is very quick to disabuse parents of the very notion.

There are no guarantees in life. I can't promise that making kids act repsectful and staying on top of them will turn them into decent people, or that allowing them to run wild and unsupervised will lead them into trouble, but it sure does improve your odds.

I had no idea that bad things like weapons and drugs don't happen in charter/private schools! WOW! Let me sign my kid up now. I am sorry, but I went to Catholic school for many years. There were drugs and sex going on. You can't run from that kind of stuff. It’s all over the place especially these days. I guess because I am a younger mother I don't see the harm in a haircut that my son sees and wants as a TREND, not a lifestyle. I agree if the dress code says you can't have it then you shouldn't let your son do it. That’s just asking for problems. My six year old is on the honor roll for in excelling in both Math and Reading. He is in the Cub Scouts as well doing good things for his neighbors and community. He is extremely polite and respectful. A kid's hairstyle does not define his character.

When I was a kid, my little brother had a mowhawk.. because Mr T had one, and he was cool hehe. Most of his little friends had them too. I still giggle when I think back on it, they were so funny with their little mowhawks in all different hair colors. Somewhere I have a picture of them all lined up, playing A-Team.. and all wanting to be Mr. T.

It's just HAIR for goodness sake! As long as it's clean and doesn'thave lice I could care less about the way anyone styles theirs! Doesn't matter if the person is 2 or 102...........it's just not that important!

This information is one sourced. If you further research you will see that as native american's used this style as a sign of being proud and honorable. Yes, people have since taken this style to the extreme, but seriously my 6 year old is not a punk rocker. He likes the style and got it more from seeing Angelina Jolies kids and not punks. I do not find the cut offensive, but you on the other hand...

Right back at ya :)

I didnt say anything wrong except to point out that I think that a mohawk on a child is ridiculous.
And to point out that we are making our children grow up way to fast..

And Yes Angelina Jolie is such a good role model isnt she ? NOT.

So I am Sorry if I offended you by saying I think the hair cut is ridiculous but it wasnt at any particular person on here who may style their childs hair that way , but in response to the opening post about a child who was suspended because of it.

Honestly I just want our children to be able to be children - they will find enough pressure when they are late teens and adults , can we not give them their childnoods ?

(its not just mohawk haircuts, its little girls dressed up like britney spears, its all the other things, like the pressure to be in 5 after school things a week etc etc...Whatever happened to being a kid and enjoying family?)

.......The kid is not the problem here, the school is not the problem here, the rules are not the problem here. The parents are the problem here. They should not sacrifice their child's education to make a statement. Nor should they use the child to make a statement

:clap::clap::clap:

I had no idea that bad things like weapons and drugs don't happen in charter/private schools! WOW! Let me sign my kid up now. I am sorry, but I went to Catholic school for many years. There were drugs and sex going on. You can't run from that kind of stuff. It’s all over the place especially these days. I guess because I am a younger mother I don't see the harm in a haircut that my son sees and wants as a TREND, not a lifestyle. I agree if the dress code says you can't have it then you shouldn't let your son do it. That’s just asking for problems. My six year old is on the honor roll for in excelling in both Math and Reading. He is in the Cub Scouts as well doing good things for his neighbors and community. He is extremely polite and respectful. A kid's hairstyle does not define his character.

Wow, this tone is exactly what I mean on the respect issue.

No, private school doesn't guarantee that those things don't happen, but there is much less tolerance for it and consequences. Losing your tuition money or your spot in a highly competetive environment tends to make parents sit up and pay attention.

Lots of my friends in GREAT public schools say their only complaint is that one or two disruptive kids or families can ruin an entire school year and the school can do very little about it. A kid cannot be kicked out until a situation goes pretty far.

I also went to a catholic high school and drugs were a huge problem there. The school eventually closed down because the principal (who wasn't a priest) was accused of sexual abuse against a student and a teacher. As for the hair I can remember in catholic grammar school and "rat tails" and "mushroom style" hair cuts were banned. Boy's couldn't have hair below the collar. I remember a few mothers had an issue with this but the school wouldn't budge. I'm sure those little boys are now happy they couldn't have rat tails. Those were hideous! LOL

A kid haircut does not define his character, but "other" people have perceptions of his character by the haircut.

Just like a mother who "dresses in short skirts, and low cuts top. Of course this does not define her character, but when others see her, how will they decide what character she "may be". Especially when they may not know her, but look at her and make an "instant decision".

Please, perceptions are "everything".

At some catholic schools in my city, the "girls" young teen age girls, hiked their skirts up and wore thong undies and "flashed people" when they bent down. Of course it was just "happenstance" that the skirt was very short and they "just happen" to be wearing" thongs and "bending" down.

Well, we all know what could happen. The girls think it was "fun" to get the attention of men and boys.

Well the school introduced a "new dress" uniform. Skirts/shorts combination. That put the end to "flashing".

But if you saw a young school girl in a short skirt, with a thong, flashing.

What would "one think" about her character........especially a catholic school girl barely into her teens.

Fer goodness sakes.... When you as a parent make a choice to apply to a private or charter school, you are committing to following the standards/rules of that institution. Uniforms, appearance, and behaviour. Every school has issues with drugs and sex. Not one school is not affected by it and to say they are not is being naive. Yeah, 12 years Catholic education and then another gawd knows how many with my own children.

The parents used their 6 year old child to make some kind of "statement". How wrong is that???? They were sent several notices concerning the hair and they chose to ignore it. Sorry, but the decision made by this school was justified. These parents should be ashamed of themselves for using their own child to make some kind of stand against the "establishment" of a grade school. I find that completely pathetic and I hope this little guy will forget about it in due time. I hate to think he'll have a reputation for being a troublemaker in 1st grade because of his parents...

Personally I think its appalling. The mohawk not the suspension.
Why ? Why do people have to style childrens hair that is not a childs hairstyle but an adults and one associated with violence ?

I'm sorry if this is what you choose to do to your childs hair, but I do happen to find it offensive

Quoted from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_hairstyle

Bold is mine, and that is why he was suspended no doubt, because that IS What mohawks represent. Why would a school want a child there that is flouting what a mohawk stands for.

Its not fashionable and looking at that child in the link, he looks awful. A 6 year old boy should look like a Little Boy, there is plenty of time for him to be a man later..

problem with society today is the making of our children to grow up well beyond their time

JMO
oh pleaseeee its cute! My husband does his son's all the time... Does not mean my husband likes violence. But what does he know he is only a Cop

oh pleaseeee its cute! My husband does his son's all the time... Does not mean my husband likes violence. But what does he know he is only a Cop

This what I tried to explain its a trend not a lifestyle of violence.

1) Appearance does not equal character or make someone a good student. I taught 9-12 grade and some of my best students (well behaved, creative, intelligent, and well mannered) were "outcasts" in a very conservative community. I had the MOST problems with kids who looked like they belonged/were popular.

2) There is more going on here that isn't being reported -- I suspect that there are larger issues between Mom and Dad and school. Still, I don't think suspending the child was the correct way to deal with this. There is no way the kid can come out of this without issues.

3) If you are going to have a dress code, it needs to be written in a way that it can be enforced --what one person thinks is "distracting" another person may not mind at all. And, I suspect that a mohawk would not be distracting at all once the kids got over seeing it --it's all in how the adults treat the situation. Pick your battles wisely, folks.

4) If a mohawk on a kindergartener is such a huge issue, I wonder how they react to "serious" offences? As a teacher, I WISH this was one of the "big" issues I had to deal with --instead of kids who wanted to commit suicide and knives in the hallway.

There is more going on here that isn't being reported -- I suspect that there are larger issues between Mom and Dad and school. Still, I don't think suspending the child was the correct way to deal with this. There is no way the kid can come out of this without issues.

But....the parents were told, not once, but twice that "in the opinion" of the school that this hair cut was unacceptable. But they ignored the school, they knew what the consequences "may be". The kid may not come out of this without issues, but I have a "feeling" with parents whom "ignore" what is the in the best interest of the child, and for that fact "in the opinion" of the school other children, the child most likely will have issues because of the "choices" his parents have made for him.

Life is about choices and the consequences of those choices. People are accountable for the decisions they make.

These two parents sound like they just want to "defy" anything or any rule that they do not agree with.

If other children education is "disrupted" over this haircut, this "mother" is very self centered and "would like attention". Her decision has affected other children not only her own child.

The mother is going to "enroll" the child in another school. I am sure the school officials at the "past" school are just going to be "so upset"......

1) Appearance does not equal character or make someone a good student. I taught 9-12 grade and some of my best students (well behaved, creative, intelligent, and well mannered) were "outcasts" in a very conservative community. I had the MOST problems with kids who looked like they belonged/were popular.

2) There is more going on here that isn't being reported -- I suspect that there are larger issues between Mom and Dad and school. Still, I don't think suspending the child was the correct way to deal with this. There is no way the kid can come out of this without issues.

3) If you are going to have a dress code, it needs to be written in a way that it can be enforced --what one person thinks is "distracting" another person may not mind at all. And, I suspect that a mohawk would not be distracting at all once the kids got over seeing it --it's all in how the adults treat the situation. Pick your battles wisely, folks.

4) If a mohawk on a kindergartener is such a huge issue, I wonder how they react to "serious" offences? As a teacher, I WISH this was one of the "big" issues I had to deal with --instead of kids who wanted to commit suicide and knives in the hallway.

Anyone recall that after Columbine that several schools banned trench coats?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back