GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we not hearing anything from her lawyer boyfriend that went to California, the one she sent the e-mail to? Seems odd to me. Maybe he's just too distraught.

In the next PC some reporter needs to ask the police chief if they've spoken with him. I know I'd feel better to know they know where he is.

Why are we not hearing anything from her lawyer boyfriend that went to California, the one she sent the e-mail to? Seems odd to me. Maybe he's just too distraught.

In the next PC some reporter needs to ask the police chief if they've spoken with him. I know I'd feel better to know they know where he is.

You can find him on LG's friend list on FB. Seems like an older guy. His profile pic is of him and Lauren and you can read some condolences his friends wrote as comments on the photo. I'm going with distraught.

You can find him on LG's friend list on FB. Seems like an older guy. His profile pic is of him and Lauren and you can read some condolences his friends wrote as comments on the photo. I'm going with distraught.

I'm still not on Facebook, so I'm not sure I could see him. But thanks anyway.

Thanks Sonya...not sure I'll actually be able to watch the video, but appreciate the explanation.

ETA - Yup. Nope. Can't watch that. :)

I am not saying it would be easy, only saying anyone with some knowledge (or the common sense ability to use google) could research and manage it without things getting all crazy and out of hand to the point they created a bloody mess that they couldn't deal with.

Yes I realize some people are very afraid of firearms. Just about everyone I know owns guns (deep south) so I don't find someone saying they have a firearm to be even mildly suspicious.

I have always understood basic safety and self defense measures dictate if someone attempts to abduct you with a gun do not cooperate. If they are willing to kill you for NOT cooperating (low stage crime on their part, just a threat and they can still walk away) they are darn sure likely to kill you when you are at their mercy in a remote location. Same thing applies to being tied up.

If they were seriously willing to kill you for not cooperating you are going to be in real trouble later when they have dug a deeper hole and realize they could be charged with kidnapping/rape etc... especially since you are now likely helpless, bound, and/or in a remote location. Most of the time the "additional charges" can't let the victim live won't even factor into it because they had decided they would kill you before they stuck the gun in your face.

My Dad was an avid hunter and my husband could supply arms to a small revolt. I've been around guns my whole life, but fortunately I've never had one pointed at me.

My point is McD volunteered a whole lot of info in that interview and in a way that made him seem very suspicious. A killer hanging around the crime scene to misdirect, point the investigation a certain way or even to throw in red herrings is not a new concept. His statements could certainly be perceived that way.

That said, I'm not ready to look only at him in terms of suspects. He's just the only one LE has named as yet and the only one who has spoken on camera.

My Dad was an avid hunter and my husband could supply arms to a small revolt. I've been around guns my whole life, but fortunately I've never had one pointed at me.

My point is McD volunteered a whole lot of info in that interview and in a way that made him seem very suspicious. A killer hanging around the crime scene to misdirect, point the investigation a certain way or even to throw in red herrings is not a new concept. His statements could certainly be perceived that way.

I understand. I have never stared down the barrel of a gun; they say it is like looking into your own grave. Giddings helped defend burglars, thieves, other nere-do-wells. I do believe she realized bad things happen and she probably thought about it ahead of time.

MCD appears to be socially awkward in the interview. Let's face it if he were being interviewed because he just saved a child from a burning building everyone would be saying "Awwww....I can see he is a kind and loving person...he looks like such angel...so sensitive and caring... the way he talks and his eyes and all" but because he was labeled a POI in a hideous murder everyone is saying "Oh...yeah he is obviously deranged, look at his eyes, I can just imagine him hacking up a corpse in a bathtub..look at how he talks....weird and crazy I can tell".

MCD has some issues, no doubt about it. If he is all that "odd" and crazy he would have left some darning evidence and they would have likely charged him by now. He is the "weird kid" they can hold while they try to find the real killer, holding anyone keeps the public calm.

'Lauren didn't really know what hit her,' mother says

Video shows last time Mercer law grad seen alive, police say
By JOE KOVAC JR., AMY LEIGH WOMACK and OBY BROWN - Telegraph staff writers

Two weeks ago, sometime around 6:30 on Saturday evening, someone who authorities believe was Lauren Giddings, alone in her car, pulled up to the drive-through window at a Zaxby’s restaurant in downtown Macon. The eatery’s surveillance camera captured a clip of her arm reaching out to grab her order.

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/09/1625474/police-hope-lab-results-from-74.html
More at link-

Giddings’ mother, Karen Giddings, went for a jog through the Mercer University campus Friday while other family members packed the slain woman’s belongings.

“Running is my medicine,” Karen Giddings said.

Like her mother, Lauren Giddings, one of three sisters, was also was an avid runner -- a member of the Hash House Harriers running club.

Sitting at a table outside her daughter’s apartment, Karen Giddings spoke of her eldest daughter’s “infectious smile,” how she adored her family and phoned her grandmother every weekend.

snip

“I hope nobody’s hiding anything from me, but from what we’re finding out, Lauren didn’t really know what hit her,” Karen Giddings said, pausing to hold back tears. “Hopefully there wasn’t a lot of suffering, so she might have been in the midst of doing something she was loving ... and she never saw what was happening.”

Anyone experiencing the pleasure of listening to the commercials 2 times on the WMAZ videos, lol?

Sorry if this has already been posted, just getting on to speed on the days news.

Wow. Great link! First of all I like that Chief Burns, and feel sorry for him having to do these interviews.

Second of all, he just admitted publically this case is going very very cold.

I am sure maybe some folks didn't catch it...listen to the last parts...murders are usually solved within a few days...yeah it has been more than a few days....we are still interviewing people...

The videos on that site buffer so much it takes me double the time to listen-

True Sonya610 but in the Macon.com article ...
"Police had hoped that some word on the 74 pieces of evidence they have sent to FBI forensics experts in Quantico, Va., would come in Friday, but as of the end of the business day, it hadn’t. The results are expected early next week.

Some of the items sent for testing include plumbing drain traps from Giddings’ apartment and the apartment next door to hers where 25-year-old Stephen McDaniel, a fellow May law school graduate, lived.
LE is hoping the forensics will give them the answers they need to break the case. I also noted they used so much luminol they had to borrow some from another agency.

I'm not ready to say it's cold yet, think we need to wait for the results.

Chief Burns is so calm and measured when he speaks, I like that he doesn't dance around the questions. No nonsense so to speak.

I also noted they used so much luminol they had to borrow some from another agency.

Yup. You use luminol to FIND blood. When you can't find it you use a whole heck of a lot spraying it on lots of places that don't have blood! When you run out and need more to spray on other places that don't have blood borrow some from the county next door.

I'm not ready to say it's cold yet, think we need to wait for the results.

Chief Burns is so calm and measured when he speaks, I like that he doesn't dance around the questions. No nonsense so to speak.

Yeah I like Chief Burns too. Hope this situation doesn't cost him the next election.

I really do think it is cold, then again I have thought that for a few days.

The person that did this appears to be very intelligent and utterly cold blooded. Ever watch the documentaries on the Iceman? Genetically without fear? I was going to say the trifecta...highly intelligent, no fear, and no conscience, but heck plenty of people involved in the financial scandals fit that profile and this is beyond that. Have to look up terms that mean more than trifecta.

It will be interesting to see if it happens again. My gut says it likely won't, it isn't a hobby; it was a statement.

It might be true that most cases are solved in a few days but most cases don't have a dismembered body with the torso being delivered to LE after the fact. This is a person who doesn't intend to get caught but did intend to show she's inferior to him, rob her (in him mind) of self esteem, and mock her. And he did it before all her friends, her colleagues, and her family. He has no remorse and is probably feeling very proud of himself. Even laughing about it. He's feeling superior to her, her family, and LE.

I believe either she rejected him or she represented everything he couln't have. I wonder when all the press coverage goes away what will happen to him. I believe he's on a "high" right now.

Of course all of this is just my opinion.

I know someone has mentioned a couple of cold cases involving dismemberment, but I don't remember seeing this article:

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/1997-Murder-Case-Remains-Unsolved-125239394.html

It was December 1997 when a retired FBI agent found the dismembered body of a black female in a Macon drainage pipe off Chestney Road.

“All he found was a human torso and that's when the investigation began,” says Captain Mike Smallwood, Criminal Investigator at the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office.

That discovery led detectives on a homicide investigation, and close to one month later the body was linked to Edna Blaine.

Other than her torso, a hand was later found. I don't know if this could be related since it happened more than 10 years ago, but I will continue looking. If the culprit is a serial killer, then he must have had other victims within the last decade.

I understand. I have never stared down the barrel of a gun; they say it is like looking into your own grave. Giddings helped defend burglars, thieves, other nere-do-wells. I do believe she realized bad things happen and she probably thought about it ahead of time.

MCD appears to be socially awkward in the interview. Let's face it if he were being interviewed because he just saved a child from a burning building everyone would be saying "Awwww....I can see he is a kind and loving person...he looks like such angel...so sensitive and caring... the way he talks and his eyes and all" but because he was labeled a POI in a hideous murder everyone is saying "Oh...yeah he is obviously deranged, look at his eyes, I can just imagine him hacking up a corpse in a bathtub..look at how he talks....weird and crazy I can tell".

MCD has some issues, no doubt about it. If he is all that "odd" and crazy he would have left some darning evidence and they would have likely charged him by now. He is the "weird kid" they can hold while they try to find the real killer, holding anyone keeps the public calm.

I don't know if I agree with you about everything, but definitely the bolded part. :) I also don't think it's too weird that he isn't on Facebook.

Video shows last time Mercer law grad seen alive, police say

That must be the Zaxby's right next to Rosehill/Riverside Cemetery a few blocks from the apartment. They had the cadavre dogs out there yesterday too.

I have wondered about that area as a place to dispose of remains. It is a HUGE sprawling old cemetery next to the river. Lots of old family plots are carved into the side of the hill with retaining walls, each done individually at different angles so around every corner is a new hidden old burial plot with plenty of bushes and some trees. Some are so old/overgrown you have to investigate to tell there is a family plot there. Below that are railroad tracks and then the river (also very isolated, I believe there is a cave there by the river too, local legend has it "Satanists" are believed to have used the cave in the 70's for ritual purposes, I think the Satanist part is urban legend but a fun story to add in).

I can't imagine how cadavre dogs could effectively search a cemetery like that but I bet they had fun trying. I have taken my dog over there and he loves it, he is endlessly amused as there is so much to "discover" and pee on. Hours and hours and you have only covered a little bit of it, plus very quiet even on weekends.

When people were talking about whether the killer had a car I thought about that cemetery, it is just 3-4 blocks away and quiet, isolated, with access to the river which is very deserted on that side (there is a paved walk way on the other side for recreation but those folks would be easy to spot). Even on the weekends the few people you see are usually at quite a distance, during the week it is probably almost completely deserted.

cemetery2.jpg

The only other unsolved homicide in Macon involving dismemberment I can find is that of Edna Baines. Just a thought...that maybe there's a connection between the two cases. I know that Lauren would've been in High School when Ms. Baines was murdered and lived in Maryland at the time, but Ms. Baines had served some time in prison so it's likely she knew some shady characters.

According to this press release........

http://www.nationalcenter.org/PR_Lauren_Giddings.html

.......Lauren was working for a law firm while she attended law school. Might she have met someone at that law firm, or even in school, who was connected to the Baines' case? Might she perhaps have done research into some cold cases, including that of Edna Baines, as an employee of the law firm?

A couple of quick things I wanted to add to the discussion.

1) Has anyone else seen the interview with McD where they told him about finding the torso and it was the first time he heard they had found something? His reaction was VERY awkward. I realize that there is not any "normal" way to react to finding out something like that, but a lot of people that I have talked to thought it was strange. I have tried to find the video online, but every one I find seems to have that part edited out. I don't know if it was something they felt needed to be omitted or what, but his first finding out about the body is definitely on film.

2) I am pretty sure the boyfriend is really distraught. Word is his last girlfriend (maybe even fiance) committed suicide. So this would most certainly knock the wind out of his sails, to say the least. And although that is unusual, I think it's just a sad happenstance that this poor guy has lost two women. And I do remember police saying somewhere that they have spoken with him.

It really drives me crazy to think about this case going cold. So until the LE throw their hands up and wave the white flag I will continue to hold onto hope that they have something we might not know about.

Has anyone else seen the interview with McD where they told him about finding the torso and it was the first time he heard they had found something? His reaction was VERY awkward. I realize that there is not any "normal" way to react to finding out something like that, but a lot of people that I have talked to thought it was strange.

It must have been the first part of the extended interview. I didn't see that vid right away so they probably censored it. http://www.13wmaz.com/video/1034114633001/0/EXCERPT-Stephen-McDaniel-Interview

As far as him having an "odd" reaction, he obviously nearly breaks into tears at least once in the above video (when he says Joe is also friend of Giddings, he nearly cries). He is in shock. If he was THAT good of an actor then why would his "reaction" be odd if he put the torso there? He would know they would find it and decide on the appropriate reaction. People's reaction to really shocking news like this varies greatly. Some get immediately emotional, others hear it and feel nothing at all initially, just numbness.

As far as the boyfriend's previous girlfriend committing suicide....wow! BIG red flag! Probably unrelated, this situation is so very very different in so many ways but the police had to take a strong interest in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401