GZ Case - Defense Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, all I know is what I personally have found on George Zimmerman. I look at only the facts that we know for certain and I am not swayed by any talking head...even the Prez.

I believe that GZ did "profile" Trayvon and I am the child of a bigot. I'm pretty sure that I'd know a bigot when I saw or, in this case, read the words of a bigot.

Well, all I know is what I personally have found on George Zimmerman. I look at only the facts that we know for certain and I am not swayed by any talking head...even the Prez.

I believe that GZ did "profile" Trayvon and I am the child of a bigot. I'm pretty sure that I'd know a bigot when I saw or, in this case, read the words of a bigot.

So you haven't heard about the Sherman Ware case? Or the African Americans that he drove to Orlando to mentor?

So you haven't heard about the Sherman Ware case?
Not before reading here.

But from all that I have now read, GZ may not have done anything but say he was doing something in support of the homeless black man beaten by a Sandford LE officer's son.

My personal opinion, is that if GZ really did try to rally people on that issue it was more to expose dirty LE than to support Mr. Ward.

Hi there :)

uh...er...

....uh oh...maybe I walked through the wrong door??

I thought this was the GZ Case - Defense Perspective thread ... :waitasec:

So you haven't heard about the Sherman Ware case? Or the African Americans that he drove to Orlando to mentor?

Those kids lived in Orlando. This is another case where GZ took the rules and bent them. The mentor program was disbanded due to a lack of funding (so George says) yet GZ took it upon himself to continue privately. In most programs, especially ones receiving any public dollars, volunteers must sign a contract and agree not to see the children outside of the formal program. In such programs it is seriously frowned upon to go rogue.

Hi there :)

uh...er...

....uh oh...maybe I walked through the wrong door??

I thought this was the GZ Case - Defense Perspective thread ... :waitasec:

It seems the Defense Perspective is to paint GZ as a multicultural community leader, some kind of a saint with a pension for helping people who he feels have gone or will go astray without his guidance.

I don't think that the defense has a shot at getting this dropped at a SYG hearing. Does anyone else think that it's possible? I believe that public and political pressure will prevent this case from being dismissed. JMO.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/776.032

I don't think that the defense has a shot at getting this dropped at a SYG hearing. Does anyone else think that it's possible? I believe that public and political pressure will prevent this case from being dismissed. JMO.

I don't think we will ever see a SYG defense hearing. He may try to use it at trial, along with self defense. IMO - GZ will not get on the stand at the hearing. I don't think it has anything to do with public or political pressure. The prosecution has something, IMO. Why is MOM trying to block the release of documents. Some have stated it's both parties wanting a delay, not today. MOM wants a further delay. :waitasec: Isn't this the Sunshine State? We NEED a document dump. :please:

snipped from article, dated today:

"While we understand the frustration of those who want to view the information as soon as possible, we believe that Mr. Zimmerman's right to a fair trial, decided by an impartial, unbiased jury is paramount," O'Mara said.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._sanford-shooting-new-evidence-public-release

O'mara has not stated what his defense will be, has he? IDK.

I thought he said he wasn't sure if he was going to use the SYG defense?

Did I hear that right?

I honestly really do think there's a shot based on what we know now. It continues to be my opinion that the court will focus on the immediate moments before the shooting. If the evidence of a head injury is not completely discounted and the State really does have no evidence of who started the altercation, all we have is the relatively innocuous verbal exchange, injuries to George and no physical injuries we know of to Trayvon except the gunshot wound. This after a physical struggle that was eye and ear-witnessed to have lasted enough time for the non-"prevailing" party to have sustained some damage. It will be interesting to see the autopsy report. I also think the duration of the altercation w/o a gun shot favors the SYG defense, as does the case law.

Again, based on what we know now, I would be surprised if O'Mara waived the SYG hearing because that would force the Judge to consider the evidence in light of the existing SYG case law. The Judge may not want to make that decision but, imo, he could easily blame existing precedent and even use this case as a reason for SYG reform. In that manner, he could follow the law and credibly denounce the necessity of the ruling at the same time. Otoh, you are right about the pressure, and any Judge can find a way to let anything go to a jury, imo, if he feels that it's prudent to do so. I can't recall whether a preliminary SYG ruling is immediately appealable, but that would be another factor to consider, imo. If it is, no matter what the judge decides it will probably be taken up. And, imo, as much as judges hate to be reversed, they don't mind punting a controversial issue upstairs if need be. All imo, jmo.

eta: oh, and at least one eyewitness, possibly more, putting George on the receiving end of a beat down

I don't think we will ever see a SYG defense. IMO - GZ will not get on the stand at the hearing. I don't think it has anything to do with public or political pressure. The prosecution has something, IMO. Why is MOM trying to block the release of documents. Some have stated it's both parties wanting a delay, not today. MOM wants a further delay. :waitasec: Isn't this the Sunshine State? We NEED a document dump. :please:

snipped from article, dated today:

"While we understand the frustration of those who want to view the information as soon as possible, we believe that Mr. Zimmerman's right to a fair trial, decided by an impartial, unbiased jury is paramount," O'Mara said.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._sanford-shooting-new-evidence-public-release
I believe that a SYG hearing will take place. I just don't think that GZ will prevail. It will go to trial.

Since GZ has waived his right to a speedy trial, I don't think that O'Mara is trying game the system by delaying the public access to discovery. I think that he is truly making sure that peoples names and other personal information is redacted. JMO.

I believe that a SYG hearing will take place. I just don't think that GZ will prevail. It will go to trial.

Since GZ has waived his right to a speedy trial, I don't think that O'Mara is trying game the system by delaying the public access to discovery. I think that he is truly making sure that peoples names and other personal information is redacted. JMO.

Imo, if O'mara thought there was going to be some really unfavorable stuff in there he'd want to get it out asap and let time temper it. The longer he waits to let the public see anything unfavorable, the fresher it will be in the minds of the public and the potential jury pool relative to any trial date.

It's always nice to see your responses. Do you really think GZ will take the stand, he would have to at a SYG hearing. I just don't see it. Originally, I thought both sides were taking their time, in agreement, to redact and delay. Today, I'm thinking MOM doesn't want the evidence released any time soon. In "another" Florida case, I don't think the delay was that long. It seemed like the defense had no choice. ??

Thanks Ranch for always being polite. :seeya:

Imo, if O'mara thought there was going to be some really unfavorable stuff in there he'd want to get it out asap and let time temper it. The longer he waits to let the public see anything unfavorable, the fresher it will be in the minds of the public and the potential jury pool relative to any trial date.
I believe it's the other way around. The longer this goes on without unfavorable stuff about GZ and this case, the better off GZ will be. This case has already died out in the media. You would think he would want the BOOM out now, then have the trial be postponed for a couple of years.

JMO

ETA: oops. We had the same opinion. Great minds..haha.

Do you guys really think GZ will take the stand at a SYG hearing? Is betting still allowed here on WS? :floorlaugh:

I honestly really do think there's a shot based on what we know now. It continues to be my opinion that the court will focus on the immediate moments before the shooting. If the evidence of a head injury is not completely discounted and the State really does have no evidence of who started the altercation, all we have is the relatively innocuous verbal exchange, injuries to George and no physical injuries we know of to Trayvon except the gunshot wound. This after a physical struggle that was eye and ear-witnessed to have lasted enough time for the non-"prevailing" party to have sustained some damage. It will be interesting to see the autopsy report. I also think the duration of the altercation w/o a gun shot favors the SYG defense, as does the case law.

Again, based on what we know now, I would be surprised if O'Mara waived the SYG hearing because that would force the Judge to consider the evidence in light of the existing SYG case law. The Judge may not want to make that decision but, imo, he could easily blame existing precedent and even use this case as a reason for SYG reform. In that manner, he could follow the law and credibly denounce the necessity of the ruling at the same time. Otoh, you are right about the pressure, and any Judge can find a way to let anything go to a jury, imo, if he feels that it's prudent to do so. I can't recall whether a preliminary SYG ruling is immediately appealable, but that would be another factor to consider, imo. If it is, no matter what the judge decides it will probably be taken up. And, imo, as much as judges hate to be reversed, they don't mind punting a controversial issue upstairs if need be. All imo, jmo.

eta: oh, and at least one eyewitness, possibly more, putting George on the receiving end of a beat down

Think the head wound is going to give them fits. The thing that bothers me the most about the picture other than you can't tell who it is AT ALL, is that the blood flow makes no sense. If you turn your head blood is going to flow in that direction. Were the wounds not given at the same time?

George Zimmerman’s lawyer to get prosecution’s evidence Monday

"SANFORD --
In the Case against George Zimmerman, his attorney said he’ll soon get his hands on the evidence prosecutors plan to use at trial.

Mark O'Mara said he'll get those documents on Monday, so he can decide what you will and will not see when that evidence is released to the public.

Meanwhile, another lawyer said he has proof Trayvon Martin's shooting was not racially motivated.

Mark NeJame provided a picture to CNN."

Sorry if this has been posted, couldn't find it. ETA: I do see where angelwings posted it earlier, sorry - just a reiminder then :)

It's always nice to see your responses. Do you really think GZ will take the stand, he would have to at a SYG hearing. I just don't see it. Originally, I thought both sides were taking their time, in agreement, to redact and delay. Today, I'm thinking MOM doesn't want the evidence released any time soon. In "another" Florida case, I don't think the delay was that long. It seemed like the defense had no choice. ??

Thanks Ranch for always being polite. :seeya:

Thanks for the compliments it means a lot to me.

I think that GZ has to get on the stand and tell his story at some point. Why not at the immunity hearing? If the defense goes this route they get to see everything that the state has in the way of strategy before going to trial. And if they lose, they get to try it again. JMO.

Think the head wound is going to give them fits. The thing that bothers me the most about the picture other than you can't tell who it is AT ALL, is that the blood flow makes no sense. If you turn your head blood is going to flow in that direction. Were the wounds not given at the same time?

I'm assuming they have someone who will authenticate the photo and George's identity, otherwise it wouldn't have been trotted out. Very dangerous, imo.

But, admittedly, I haven't considered the blood flow pattern. But that's because it's so completely beyond my realm of understanding, I don't think I could intelligently comment. I'm sure there will be an expert on it, if necessary. But, we probably won't know about that for a LONG time.

Do you know, was the photo introduced at the bond hearing and, if so, did the State object? That would be very significant to me. Iirc, though, it was merely mentioned, possibly shown???

I would agree, but I think now that the racial issues may be forced to die, a whole segment of that noise may abate considerably. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken