"w00t" Crowned 'Word of the Year' by Merriam-Webster

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN1256278120071212?sp=true
BOSTON (Reuters) - "w00t," an expression of joy coined by online gamers, was crowned word of the year on Tuesday by the publisher of a leading U.S. dictionary.
Massachusetts-based Merriam-Webster Inc. said "w00t" -- typically spelled with two zeros -- reflects a new direction in the American language led by a generation raised on video games and cell phone text-messaging.
It's like saying "yay," the dictionary said.
(more at link)

"Truthiness" (noun) was the 2006 winner.
:silenced:

Oh I HATE that word. There's a poster at another site I visit who uses it in every single post with an exclamation mark....

WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!

Thanks to her, my wooter is over and out.

I hate it too. Thought I was the only one. :eek:

w00t

Brrrrr

Wewt! Geek powa! Heh, I think it's cool, and pertinent. I love the word myself. Course, I'm a nerdy, geeky, gamer girl with a Goth twist too though.

So am I and I still hate it. Now what's your excuse. ;) :p

Try typing it in game, it'll become much more liked. ;) You don't get a lot of time to express yourself while in game, ESPECIALLY if you play a healer class. I don't use it to mean "we owned the other team" I use it to mean "Yay!". I do sometimes type yay too, but wewt or woot is faster somehow.

Try typing it in game, it'll become much more liked. ;) You don't get a lot of time to express yourself while in game, ESPECIALLY if you play a healer class. I don't use it to mean "we owned the other team" I use it to mean "Yay!". I do sometimes type yay too, but wewt or woot is faster somehow.

I did and I still don't like it and just use yay. Or yaya. LOL :doh:

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN1256278120071212?sp=true
BOSTON (Reuters) - "w00t," an expression of joy coined by online gamers, was crowned word of the year on Tuesday by the publisher of a leading U.S. dictionary.
Massachusetts-based Merriam-Webster Inc. said "w00t" -- typically spelled with two zeros -- reflects a new direction in the American language led by a generation raised on video games and cell phone text-messaging.
It's like saying "yay," the dictionary said.
(more at link)

"Truthiness" (noun) was the 2006 winner.
:silenced:

w00t!!:D

I did and I still don't like it and just use yay. Or yaya. LOL :doh:

Heh. Well, I use "cool" too, but it just doesn't have the elation I think. Maybe it's just that you've been around people mis-using and over-using (definitely!) it and so have lost your taste for it? I actually *say* woot sometimes, not often, but if things have fallen together just right, to make a suprise we were doing for someone even better I'll say "Wewt!" for example. :blushing: Of course, when playing a game where I've had a close shave, you can hear me say "*nervous laugh* wee-ooooo" in relief too. That comes from the game Planescape: Torment, you can buy a little critter called a Lim-lim (sp?) as a pet in the game, and it says "pi-yoo" (sp?) if you pet it, it's altered from that.

Wewt! Geek powa! Heh, I think it's cool, and pertinent. I love the word myself. Course, I'm a nerdy, geeky, gamer girl with a Goth twist too though.

I haven't gotten into gaming but I admit it sounds awesome. Someday...

I'll have to get my woot on

I spell it WHOOT!
over on the countdown thread. :woohoo: :woohoo: :angel:

Never knew it was a "word". Picked it up from Shrek II

kewel!

That's one word that thankfully isn't in my kids vocabulary.
I hate it. lol

Ive never heard of the word before...I really need to get out more...WOOT WOOT:woohoo:

I'm a solitary gamer. I enjoy puzzle types for my own amusement.

Until I read this thread I never heard of w00t.

It can be w00t, wo0t, w0ot, WOOT, or wewt, actually... ;) :p :dance:

:doh: Well the article said it was w00t, the combo of letters and numbers, that was named, so I blame them! :p

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back