More Women Going Gray

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
DH decided to stop having his hair colored when he was turning 60. A few months later, I decided to join him and stopped having my hair hilited every 10-12 weeks like I had done for 25 years or so. DH's hair (what little was left :D) was snowy white within a few weeks, while it took 16 months for my graying hair to be completely natural. I now have nearly-shoulder-length silvery locks... and I love it!

I am pleased to know that other maturing women no longer feel that they have to alter their hair color when the grays appear. It is very liberating to not have to succumb to constant hiliting because I might look too old with gray hair. My hair is also much shinier and softer in its natural state. I don't feel old, nor do I look old. In fact, I'm rather pleased to be a Silver Fox ;)

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/04/14/dyeing-is-dead-for-some-graying-ladies/

Dyeing Is Dead For Some Graying Ladies

April 14, 2011 9:04 PM

CHICAGO (CBS) — Most women start by pulling them out one by one. But soon, the gray hair takes over, and that can mean the start of a life-long relationship with a colorist.

Now, many women are choosing to go natural, CBS 2’s Kate Sullivan reports.

Going gray is becoming a popular choice for relatively younger women...

Glad to see this!

I'm in my late 30s, and started getting the stray white/grey hair a couple of years ago. My hair is black, so it definitely stands out. At first I was kind of horrified, but then decided I wasn't going to ever start coloring it. I've never been into fashion/makeup/hairdos, so I don't intend to let grey hair make me start :D

Good to know I am not alone, and that there will be other "silver foxes" to keep company with when once it all turns. :)

I love my silver. I have quite a bit of it, around my face, and it is quite a pretty color. I also believe that I've earned each and every strand; each tells a story of experience, of choices, of survival, and of life in all it's depth and glory.

If someone tells me it makes me look old, I laugh, and say "it makes me look like my age, 46, and if that's old to you, I'm sorry."

Go Silver Foxes. We just rock.

Best-
Herding Cats

I love the freedom of my new "color". Late 50's and about 70% grey. After I had let it grow out to a length to allow the color to cut out, I found a stylist who made the cut--to my hair. Most of the silver is around my face and most of the dark brown is in the very back near the nape neck...and most of the new styles with coloring was darker at the bottom. I also use the shampoo especially for silver/grey that really makes it shine/pop. Go Silver Foxes!!!

I stopped bleaching (and then doing hilites) almost 10 years ago for several reasons, one of which was that my so-called "grey" hairs were actually silver, not grey, and they blended well. I remember the panic when I asked my stylist "do I have much grey?".

Now I don't really care...in fact I need to check again if I still have any, since my overall natural hair color still looks dark blonde. That's how much I don't care (LOL)...need to look, I guess. If I do, it will be out of mild curiosity, not panic. WHEW!

EmmyLou Harris is a perfect example and role model, IMO, for women to be their natural, beautiful selves.

That said, I still like brilliant, unnatural hair colors and may do it again someday. ;) :D

I love the freedom of my new "color". Late 50's and about 70% grey. After I had let it grow out to a length to allow the color to cut out, I found a stylist who made the cut--to my hair. Most of the silver is around my face and most of the dark brown is in the very back near the nape neck...and most of the new styles with coloring was darker at the bottom. I also use the shampoo especially for silver/grey that really makes it shine/pop. Go Silver Foxes!!!

One of the purple products that are recommended for blonde/bleached/gray hair? I get the Redken at the salon.

DH decided to stop having his hair colored when he was turning 60. A few months later, I decided to join him and stopped having my hair hilited every 10-12 weeks like I had done for 25 years or so. DH's hair (what little was left :D) was snowy white within a few weeks, while it took 16 months for my graying hair to be completely natural. I now have nearly-shoulder-length silvery locks... and I love it!

I am pleased to know that other maturing women no longer feel that they have to alter their hair color when the grays appear. It is very liberating to not have to succumb to constant hiliting because I might look too old with gray hair. My hair is also much shinier and softer in its natural state. I don't feel old, nor do I look old. In fact, I'm rather pleased to be a Silver Fox ;)

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/04/14/dyeing-is-dead-for-some-graying-ladies/

Dyeing Is Dead For Some Graying Ladies

April 14, 2011 9:04 PM

CHICAGO (CBS) — Most women start by pulling them out one by one. But soon, the gray hair takes over, and that can mean the start of a life-long relationship with a colorist.

Now, many women are choosing to go natural, CBS 2’s Kate Sullivan reports.

Going gray is becoming a popular choice for relatively younger women...

I think women are beautiful in many differing hair colors. I started graying at 19...needless to say, I felt I was too young to go grey. I colored it..still do..I will be 50 the first week in May. I still color...back to my natural chestnut. Don't look my age...don't know when I will let it go...but I salute you ladies who have. Vive le difference.

Long day - I had to re-read title thread twice :blushing:

My grays are white and stick straight up around my part in amongst my dark curly hair - so for now I dye those lol

I'm 39 and started seeing a lot of WHITE hairs in my early 20's. Not gray, white lol. My grandmother had pure white hair in her 20's. I have long dark brown hair so I dyed my hair for many many years. Got sick and tired of it this last year and am letting it grow out now. It's kind of cool to see how it grows- in my hair it looks like white streaks throughout- looks highlighted :) I've gotten a lot of compliments on it too.

My husband thinks it looks sexy. :blush: I think I look a lil wiser hee hee.

I'm 43. My family generally goes gray and ages late but I have quite a lot of gray strands coming in now near my temples. They show mostly when I have my hair in a pony tail. It cracks me up when some gleeful person makes a big deal about my gray hairs, "Oh look! [LOUDLY] Are those gray hairs?" [While grabbing my head in their hands and pushing back my hair to make sure they are very visible].

I just tell them that I earned them. And, I did. I began getting some in law school but most of them came in when my dad got cancer.

I see no reason to dye them. They look okay to me and I'm not into desperately hiding every sign of aging that pops up. Gray hairs, wrinkles, etc., are evidence of the lives we have led and the people we have become. I hope I can wear mine proudly.

I love that it's OK to do whatever (or not) with our hair. Ditto about makeup...I quit wearing it 14 years ago, except for lipstick. And I quit the lipstick about a year ago...

For me it was about feeling comfortable being "au natural"...accepting myself as I am, plus wanting to be "low maintenance" and quit worrying about how I look and what others may think about me based purely upon my appearance.

That doesn't mean I won't occasionally wear lipstick, but IMO, makeup is paint. Women don't need to wear paint to look beautiful...nor do men, LOL. But if they like to or feel they need to, that's cool with me.

Maybe it's an age thing...one learns what's really important in life and maybe even feels a rite to do whatever becuz they've earned it by reaching a certain age. ;)

Fighting societal pressures can be tough work. ;)

I love that it's OK to do whatever (or not) with our hair. Ditto about makeup...I quit wearing it 14 years ago, except for lipstick. And I quit the lipstick about a year ago...

For me it was about feeling comfortable being "au natural"...accepting myself as I am, plus wanting to be "low maintenance" and quit worrying about how I look and what others may think about me based purely upon my appearance.

That doesn't mean I won't occasionally wear lipstick, but IMO, makeup is paint. Women don't need to wear paint to look beautiful...nor do men, LOL. But if they like to or feel they need to, that's cool with me.

Maybe it's an age thing...one learns what's really important in life and maybe even feels a rite to do whatever becuz they've earned it by reaching a certain age. ;)

Fighting societal pressures can be tough work. ;)

I haven't "needed" to wear makeup since I started HRT in 1995. My skin is radiant and virtually flawless. I usually wear lipstick when I leave the house, but it's no big deal if I forget it. I never wore much eye makeup because I couldn't see to put it on without my contacts, and it was hard to put it on with them in. I wear a little mascara if I go out in the evening, but that's not a necessary thing, either.

Beauty comes from within. :moo:

My Mom and her sister still color their hair. It looks great on them.

I have just a few silver hairs on the temple areas but I don't even pay them any attention.

My Husband was about 40% gray when we met and he was in his late 20's.

If you want to color then by all means do it if it makes you happy :)

If you don't then don't :) I'm not but who knows? I might change my mind later?

Just be yourself :)

I am so happy to see this thread, it gives a voice to what I have been thinking. I am in my early 50's and just recently was laid off from a big corporate job that I had for almost 30 years. When I got over the initial shock of being told I was redundant, one of the first thoughts that popped into to my mind, "thank goodness, I can now stop coloring my hair." Since I was one of the older people in the office, I felt it was necessary to cover the gray.

I recall feeling panic when leaving home without my makeup (for touchups). Too much worry about appearances, in this wonderful American society.

After wearing only lipstick...I felt insecure without it, and even would go back home to get it, if I forgot it...

Obviously, there was pressure to "look good". I'd much rather feel good than look good.

It's time to burn all the lipsticks that were used up to the point of not being able to get to the rest of the product (another rant), without a special brush to get down in there. ;) KWIM?

I am so happy to see this thread, it gives a voice to what I have been thinking. I am in my early 50's and just recently was laid off from a big corporate job that I had for almost 30 years. When I got over the initial shock of being told I was redundant, one of the first thoughts that popped into to my mind, "thank goodness, I can now stop coloring my hair." Since I was one of the older people in the office, I felt it was necessary to cover the gray.
I'm sorry to hear about you being laid off. :hug:

I think coloring/doing whatever to hair is fine (and makeup, etc.)...for whatever reasons...except for feeling pressured by society.

This thread has opened up a few important topics.

I'm a natural blonde, though it's darkened as I got older. The blondes in our family go white, but I'm not coloring mine. Haven't for years. So glad to see this article, because my mother tells me I need to color it. (or cut it because it is too long, but I want a gray granny bun someday like my great grandmother born in the late 1800's had.)

I point out my white hairs and ask my parents if THEY feel old. hee hee.
I call them stress highlights and I have earned every one!

I'm a natural blonde, though it's darkened as I got older. The blondes in our family go white, but I'm not coloring mine. Haven't for years. So glad to see this article, because my mother tells me I need to color it. (or cut it because it is too long, but I want a gray granny bun someday like my great grandmother born in the late 1800's had.)

I point out my white hairs and ask my parents if THEY feel old. hee hee.
I call them stress highlights and I have earned every one!

BBM Do we have the same mother? I know my mother will tell me I need to color it and cut it off. My hair is dark blond, curly and a little pass my shoulders. I am planning to go for the aging hippy girl look with it natural color and parted in the middle, with no styling required.

As for makeup, I only wear it when we go out someplace special.

BBM Do we have the same mother? I know my mother will tell me I need to color it and cut it off. My hair is dark blond, curly and a little pass my shoulders. I am planning to go for the aging hippy girl look with it natural color and parted in the middle, with no styling required.

As for makeup, I only wear it when we go out someplace special.
That's a great look, IMO.

EmmyLou Harris and Nancy Griffith.

I truly believe that we women (and men) need to accept ourselves, as we are...with "tweaks" if it makes us feel better about ourselves. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back