Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

I have just found this family in the 1920 census and I am correct, the little boy in the photo was born in 1909, so he is not old enough to be our GB.

I used to do a lot of genealogy and am intrigued by Sidekick's location of Abraham Brody in CA in the '60's.

FamilySearch includes a family with parents Abraham & Esther Brody, children including George in New York. George's birth is estimated 1904, 1908, and 1909 in three different Census documents: 1910, 1920, and 1930. Abraham & Esther were both born in Russia, children listed are Sarah, Pearl, David, George, and Isidor/Issy.

All these first names are very typical for eastern European Jews which makes for confused genealogists.

If George arrived in the US as an infant/toddler, he may have spoken unaccented English.

An Abraham Brody completed a 1942 WWII draft card listing 1250 Silver Ave, SF as home address and 2296 Geary St., SF as employment -- employer E. I. Kleine - Metro- Limosine Co.

Isn't there a relevant address on Geary Street, one of the hotels?

Hope this helps!

Laughing

Info for the George in the picture, not "our" George based on death info:

ID: I0601
Name: George Robert Brodowski
Sex: M
Birth: 23 FEB 1909 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Death: 22 APR 1995 in St. Francis, Wisconsin
Residence: 124 W. Howard Ave., Milwaukee, WI
Note:

Date of Death: 4/22/1995
Date of Burial: 4/26/1995
Age at Death: 86
Marital Status: Married
Funeral Home: Tyborski
Cemetery: Saint Adalbert Cemetery And Mausoleum
Block: 9
Lot: 5
Grave: 1

Hi SK,

I will try to do some searching this weekend. The Dem is for Democrat.

~ Hey Ozziemum,
I thought that too, do you think then GB was a 'Research Assistant working for a political party'? I guess that's pretty obvious isn't it? :) So.. If this correct then wondering where he was employed with the Gov't? During tax time? During census collecting? Uhmmm.....

Info for the George in the picture, not "our" George based on death info:

ID: I0601
Sex: M
Birth: 23 FEB 1909 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Death: 22 APR 1995 in St. Francis, Wisconsin
Residence: 124 W. Howard Ave., Milwaukee, WI
Note:

Date of Death: 4/22/1995
Date of Burial: 4/26/1995
Age at Death: 86
Marital Status: Married
Funeral Home: Tyborski
Cemetery: Saint Adalbert Cemetery And Mausoleum
Block: 9
Lot: 5
Grave: 1

~ Thanks Amy!!! Well another bite's the dust :)

~ Hey Ozziemum,
I thought that too, do you think then GB was a 'Research Assistant working for a political party'? I guess that's pretty obvious isn't it? :) So.. If this correct then wondering where he was employed with the Gov't? During tax time? During census collecting? Uhmmm.....

I read the information this way:

GB reported that he worked as a Research Assistant
GB reported that he wanted to vote as a Democrat

apparently on a form, or asked by someone filling out a form, to create a city directory or a census or something similar

Unless someone has more about that Research Assistant job, which would be a nice change!

Laughing

The website that these pictures were pulled from has a link to the researcher/web site owner. Has anyone contacted him with what we know to see if he might know anything about this George (GB)? I have been "away" from this case for a while and it would take me a while to re-familiarize myself enough to give him any useful info, but someone here might be more prepared? Just a suggestion.

The website that these pictures were pulled from has a link to the researcher/web site owner. Has anyone contacted him with what we know to see if he might know anything about this George (GB)? I have been "away" from this case for a while and it would take me a while to re-familiarize myself enough to give him any useful info, but someone here might be more prepared? Just a suggestion.

The GB in those pictures died in Milwaukee. Info linked above, so we have ruled him out as possibly being our GB.

The GB in those pictures died in Milwaukee. Info linked above, so we have ruled him out as possibly being our GB.

I know, I'm the one who posted it, but since he has researched the Brody/Brodowski family extensively, I thought maybe he may have some info on another George Brody, or a long lost weird cousin who moved to California, etc.

I know, I'm the one who posted it, but since he has researched the Brody/Brodowski family extensively, I thought maybe he may have some info on another George Brody, or a long lost weird cousin who moved to California, etc.

Oh, ok. I got ya.

It would be interesting to know if our GB had ever spoken of any thoughts on Catholics. It appears the Brodowski/Brody family were strong catholics. I can speak from my own family's polish catholic history, that faith was incredibly strong back then. My grandfather had 3 female cousins who were sisters, all of whom were nuns.

If our GB had strong opposing views of the Catholic church than that which his family had he might be remembered more easily, due to his very opposing views of those in his family.

Otherwise I don't see or have any reason to believe GB came from a family with strong Catholic values. I don't recall any previous mention of GB's comments for or against any religion.

I read the information this way:

GB reported that he worked as a Research Assistant
GB reported that he wanted to vote as a Democrat

apparently on a form, or asked by someone filling out a form, to create a city directory or a census or something similar

Unless someone has more about that Research Assistant job, which would be a nice change!

Laughing

Ok, here is another spanner in the works.

Voter's Register:

1936 GB 483 9th St - Salesman - Dem
1938 GB 430 Divisadero (Rd?) - Merchant - Dem
1938 GB 534 12th St - Jr Research Assistant - Dem
1940 GB 534 12th St - Jr Research Assistant - Dem (election was 5th Nov)
1944 GB San Pablo Ave - Jr Research Assistant - Dem

Census:

1940 - GB 534 12th St - Laborer/construction (census taken 1st April 1940)

There appears to be 2 different GB's in the above voter's registers and this does not include the GB that was married to Margaret and lived at 2375 20th Ave in the 1927/28/30/32 and his employment was listed as Merchant in 1927/30/32 and a hardware dealer in 1928 (sound more like our GB than the Jr Research assistant).

The other strange thing is that the GB at 534 12th is listed on the census as a Laborer/construction on 1st April 1940 and then back to being a Jr Research Assistant in the voter's register on 5th Nov 1940 as he was in the voter's register for 1938 and 1944.

I am starting to think the the GB that was married to Margaret might be our man. The dates fit, he was with her from 1927 to 1932 then the GB from 483 9th St and 430 Divisadero show up and the employment records fit, merchant/salesman/hardware dealer. Did we ever have a death record for GB that married Margaret?

Raff, where did you find what address the 1940 census was for?

I hope all this makes sense.

Ok, here is another spanner in the works.

Voter's Register:

1936 GB 483 9th St - Salesman - Dem
1938 GB 430 Divisadero (Rd?) - Merchant - Dem
1938 GB 534 12th St - Jr Research Assistant - Dem
1940 GB 534 12th St - Jr Research Assistant - Dem (election was 5th Nov)
1944 GB San Pablo Ave - Jr Research Assistant - Dem

Census:

1940 - GB 534 12th St - Laborer/construction (census taken 1st April 1940)

There appears to be 2 different GB's in the above voter's registers and this does not include the GB that was married to Margaret and lived at 2375 20th Ave in the 1927/28/30/32 and his employment was listed as Merchant in 1927/30/32 and a hardware dealer in 1928 (sound more like our GB than the Jr Research assistant).

The other strange thing is that the GB at 534 12th is listed on the census as a Laborer/construction on 1st April 1940 and then back to being a Jr Research Assistant in the voter's register on 5th Nov 1940 as he was in the voter's register for 1938 and 1944.

I am starting to think the the GB that was married to Margaret might be our man. The dates fit, he was with her from 1927 to 1932 then the GB from 483 9th St and 430 Divisadero show up and the employment records fit, merchant/salesman/hardware dealer. Did we ever have a death record for GB that married Margaret?

Raff, where did you find what address the 1940 census was for?

I hope all this makes sense.

Our Margaret was not in SF CA in 1927. Also, a death record exists for the SF GB married to Margaret. That is how he was ruled out in the first place.

Let me see if I can search and find that info and post it. BBS.

Copied from a closed thread since we can not quote from closed threads.

Orignally posted by Dr. Doogie 02/25/2008:

I finally recalled why this Brody & Margaret could not be the same as our GB and MK:

1) Margaret Kukoda was born in 1917, so the earliest mention of a Margaret in 1928 would have occured when Kukoda was only eleven. There are also references to George Brody and his wife Margaret in other states prior to 1928, so it is clear that they are two different sets of people.

2) We know from our talks with the Kukoda family that Margaret moved to San Francisco during World War II, which would mean probably around 1942, not circa 1928.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Who was George Brody?

I didn't yet find info on the death record for the SF GB. I'm pretty sure it exists somewhere within the threads.

I hope the above information indicating our Margaret was only 10 in 1927 would be sufficiant to rule this couple out as opposed to trying to find the death record for the SF GB.

Also, what ages are the GB and MB in the 1940 census? IIRC this SF GB was much older than our GB.

I don't think GB lied to the census taker. I don't think he was really hiding at that time... he worked, he was registered to vote, went to court after being punched, he gave his info to city directories, gave what we believe to be his correct age, etc.

To all of you who are used to looking at census records, did anyone else find it odd that so many single men were listed in a row? I wonder if this was some sort of YMCA type place.

I forget which of the GB Oakland addresses I looked up in a newspaper search, but one of them was actually a church address as well as a residential location - it may have been a homeless shelter within the church or something. I don't recall if it was the 534 12th address or one of the others.

I thought perhaps it was an apartment style bording house. Bording houses or apartment houses with many single residents were not uncommon in the 30's and 40's.

I imagine a SF home with many rooms might also be converted into a bording house. I don't think occupancy limit laws were around in the 30's and 40's like they are today.

It really doesn't strike me as odd that a single male would choose to live in an area of other singles.

Copied from a closed thread since we can not quote from closed threads.

Orignally posted by Dr. Doogie 02/25/2008:

I finally recalled why this Brody & Margaret could not be the same as our GB and MK:

1) Margaret Kukoda was born in 1917, so the earliest mention of a Margaret in 1928 would have occured when Kukoda was only eleven. There are also references to George Brody and his wife Margaret in other states prior to 1928, so it is clear that they are two different sets of people.

2) We know from our talks with the Kukoda family that Margaret moved to San Francisco during World War II, which would mean probably around 1942, not circa 1928.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Who was George Brody?

Hi Cubby,

I didn't think it was GB and MK, I thought it could be GB and an unknown Margaret however, I have found them in the 1930 census and this GB was born in 1890 so he is too old.

Anyway, it still appears that there are 2 other GB's in SF in the mid 30's to early 40's, the merchant and the Jr Research Assistant.

I don't think GB lied to the census taker. I don't think he was really hiding at that time... he worked, he was registered to vote, went to court after being punched, he gave his info to city directories, gave what we believe to be his correct age, etc.

To all of you who are used to looking at census records, did anyone else find it odd that so many single men were listed in a row? I wonder if this was some sort of YMCA type place.

I forget which of the GB Oakland addresses I looked up in a newspaper search, but one of them was actually a church address as well as a residential location - it may have been a homeless shelter within the church or something. I don't recall if it was the 534 12th address or one of the others.

I agree Odyssey, I don't think he lied or had anything to hide in 1940 but he seems to have gone off the radar after that, maybe because of the war?

Hi Cubby,

I didn't think it was GB and MK, I thought it could be GB and an unknown Margaret however, I have found them in the 1930 census and this GB was born in 1890 so he is too old.

Anyway, it still appears that there are 2 other GB's in SF in the mid 30's to early 40's, the merchant and the Jr Research Assistant.

IIRC, the merchant is the GB born in 1890 married to a Margaret who is too old to be our GB.

There were two total, not 3 total. Dr. Doogie did much of this research several years back. If you do an advanced search with keywords and Dr. Doogie as the poster, you should be able to find more of that info.

hth

IIRC, the merchant is the GB born in 1890 married to a Margaret who is too old to be our GB.

There were two total, not 3 total. Dr. Doogie did much of this research several years back. If you do an advanced search with keywords and Dr. Doogie as the poster, you should be able to find more of that info.

hth

So how can we explain why GB was a Jr research assistant in 1938 then a laborer on 1st April 1940, back to being a Jr research assistant on 5th Nov 1940 (census) and still a Jr research assistant in 1944. It doesn't make sense to me.

What jobs could you be a Jr research assistant in?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back