IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's the timeline throwing me off. It just seemed like the time they got to the lake was almost immediate. But...the timeline seems rather untrustworthy too.

Also...it is a serious medical danger to dive within 24 hours of flying due to the possibility of decompression sickness (DCS). That includes flying prior to and flying 24 hours after a dive. While dive depth can influence DCS...it is a standard precaution that most certfied and professional divers adhere to. IMOO

Great point. Thanks for posting that. I had forgotten how serious DCS is or can be.

Good question. I haven't read or watched everything, but I have yet to hear any reference to a bike helmet.

Is this often required or even seen in other states? I thought it was one of those "crazy Californian" things but I could be wrong. (I do live in CA so yes I'm calling myself crazy too)

"Somber" is the word John Johnson of Waverly used to describe the atmosphere surrounding Meyers Lake on Thursday, as the search for Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, pushed into yet another day.
Whether it be to pass on prayers or show their support, membersS of the surrounding communities continue to gather on the shores of Meyers Lake, desperate for any kind of news.
"I think we all feel the need to be a part of something bigger than ourselves," Johnson said. "And that's what this is, and is why we are all here today."
The mood by the lake may be somber, but as the one week mark of the girls' disappearance nears, supporters still aren't giving up hope.

Read More: http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/pa...1cc-11e1-bcef-001a4bcf887a.html#ixzz215wRAAMN

--------------

So, I'm wayyyyyyyyyy behind. So this was probably already posted. But I just saw it, so....you get it again if it has been. :)

561130_10151059763318287_911961933_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/NancyGraceHLN

But the one witness says he sees them turn around from the lake to head home all the time? Confusing as you said.

nothing about this case adds up...it is so confusing and frustrating!! as someone who lives in the area here I just want to put a special shout out of thanks to you guys!! it is so nice to be able to talk about this with people who understand that people have questions, and senarios running through thier minds. i totally respect the the rule about not bashing the parents and i love that, but you get the feeling that you can't be outspoken with questions and such here with local people. and that is very hard to try to reconcile in your mind especially with the rumor mill of small, iowa towns! i really appreciate all you are doing! Thank you!

There are many aspects of the case that do not make sense. But we do not have all of the information that the police have. During an active investigation, the actions of those directly involved(police, witnesses, victims) never seem to make any sense because we, as outsiders arent privvy to all information. We get what they want us to know and withhold, rightfully so, much information. I trust the police/FBI know what they are doing.

I understand being thorough and agree, but I honestly don't think I have ever seen this much care go into searching a body of water even in similar cases. Like, dragging sonar divers draining and then more dragging sonar and divers.

Maybe I have some of the facts twisted or maybe they do do all of that in other cases and it just isn't reported?

I think this is really common. Here is an article about two recent drowning cases. It took two hours to find the child in a small body of water, 4 feet deep. See Image below. Police were called and the first place they looked was in the pond. Kids are drawn to water and the likelihood of a child drwoing in a body of water in the immediate area is much higher than a stranger abduction. IMOO.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/07/12/2186572/man-dies-in-shallow-meridian-canal.html

http://www.kivitv.com/news/local/162031345.html

Untitled.jpg

Is this often required or even seen in other states? I thought it was one of those "crazy Californian" things but I could be wrong. (I do live in CA so yes I'm calling myself crazy too)

It's not a law that i know of.. but my kids wear them.. however about 80% of their friends don't wear them

Why does it seem like sooooo many people (mainly kids and young women) are disappearing lately and are never found?????

I sure hope this case is different.

thx Grainne- thought I missed something:) on dogs

You know I am still a little confused as to why the Aunt, grandma & nephew went rushing down to the lake from the get go :waitasec:
I mean the river is literally less than 1000 ft from the Collins residence...

maybe they rushed to the lake because that is where the bike trail is located? Just a thought.

I was confused as to why they rushed to the lake too! Especially since the grandmother is quoted as saying she doesn't think the girls would even know the way to the lake. Very confusing case.

IIRC...Aunt tammy said they checked all parks. that would include Deerwood Park and Meyers Lake. I know for a fact that the day the girls went missing my daughter's BF was at a different park in Evansdale and someone stopped to ask them if they had seen 2 girls on bikes...which they hadn't.

I think its been reported that it wasn't the first place they went. I think (can't remember where I saw it) that they stated they looked everywhere, including the Lake...the media only emphasized the lake part (as it appears they have been doing this whole time).

But the one witness says he sees them turn around from the lake to head home all the time? Confusing as you said.

It's just strange because, even still, they are insisting the children wouldn't have gone to the lake, but yet they checked the lake immediately. Isn't the river closer to their house?

It is my understanding that the grandmother, mother, and brother of Lyric went out looking for them by car. There are several small parks in E'dale that kids go to play, all relatively close. Meyers Lake is one where adults also go, to fish, hike, ride bikes, picnic, etc. From what I've heard/read, they got out of the vehicle at Meyers Lake to ask ppl who were there - sounds like they may have done the same at other parks, too.

I don't get the impression that, once they (family) decided the girls were not where they thought they might find them, that they just immediately went to the lake. It would be one of several places that would seem obvious to check.

The river, which is actually close to their home, would be across River Forest Rd, and over a tall dike, built to keep E'dale dry in event of flood. My own children and I drive by it almost daily, and it was only recently that I discovered that my kids didn't know the river was on the other side of that dike. Also, anyone walking or climbing over or along that dike would likely be spotted. Little girls would be hard-pressed to attempt to ride their bikes up it - its not steep, but steep and high enough.

Grandma, Tammy, and Elizabeth's older brother were out in a car looking for the girls, IIRC, and went to other places before they went to Meyers Lake. It was at Meyers Lake that Tammy stated the man said that he had seen the girls riding their bikes (can't remember the time, now -- not very long before they asked, IIRC). I would assume that is the reason why the other family members met them at Meyers Lake.

I have lived in several states and helmets are not required on a bike for kids. I make my kids wear them, if I can catch them going out the door...but...most kids in the areas I live do not wear them or even own them. This reminds of those things that circulate the internet about if you grew up in the 1960's, 1970's or 1980's...you never wore a helmet, stayed out all day, climbed trees, were booted out of the house until dinner time, etc...amazing we survived...LOL. :D

I Believe that the authorities sincerely believe the girls are in the lake. They have been so quick to point out that they do not suspect foul play. I thought I had read, also, that they didn't think that other children in the area are in danger. While they are planning on sifting through Evansville garbage, they really DO seem to be putting most of their efforts into the lake.

Maybe a witness came forward and said they saw someone throw something into the lake. Not a body but an object or a plastic bag. :( : IDK

She failed a drug test and was violated.

This is so long ago my question probably doesn't matter, but would that cause her to have jail time again? Here in California anyway she MIGHT get 14 days with an ankle bracelet, but I'm starting to see it might be a bit different other places.

Nope, we have to wear helmets here in WA too. You're not the only crazy state that has their lawmakers racking their brains to think up new laws to put on the books.

ETA: I do agree that we should all wear a helmet when biking, I just don't think our lawmakers should be spending time/money on creating these types of laws. IMO they should be spending more time on criminal behavior laws, not common sense laws. Same thing goes for the lawmakers who are trying to ban foods and limit the size of pop you can buy.

Great point. Thanks for posting that. I had forgotten how serious DCS is or can be.

I think one the the most important things we forget is the number one rule in any rescue or recovery is the rescuers safety takes priority over the victim. Otherwise you end up with multiple victims, etc. While it is frustrating, and can be horrible to watch someone perish, to have to wait or what not, the scene has to be secured and safe according to what the situation is, conditions, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee