LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember before BSL's arrest, many locals were posting that the media was not doing a good job of covering the case. I never got the feeling that this case was getting wall-to-wall massive coverage by the Lafayette media. That might have changed since the arrest, but from what I've heard of the local media's reputation there, once the information stops coming in, there will probably be a drought of press until we get closer to the trial.

The defense attorneys just have to prove that the media in the Lafayette area was too intense and too incriminating. It doesn't matter what publicity is like on a state or national level. It doesn't matter what people from across the country on the Internet are saying.

Here's an interesting tidbit:

"Snipped from Serial Killer DTL's denied appeal"

* (defendant is not entitled to a jury entirely ignorant of the case and cannot prevail on
a motion for change of venue merely by showing a general level of public awareness
about the crime).

http://www.lasc.org/opinions/2008/05KA2098.opn.pdf

01/16/08
SUPREME COURT OF LOUISIANA
NO. 2005-KA-2098

DECREE
For the reasons assigned herein, the defendant's conviction and death sentence are affirmed.

LSA-C. Cr. P. art. 622 provides, in pertinent part:

A change of venue shall be granted when the applicant
proves that by reason of prejudice existing in the public
mind or because of undue influence, or that for any other
reason, a fair and impartial trial cannot be obtained in the
parish where the prosecution is pending.

* A defendant must prove more than mere public general knowledge or
familiarity with the facts of the case, to be entitled to have his trial moved to another
parish. State v. Frank, 99-0553, p. 16 (La. 1/17/01), 803 So.2d 1, 16 (there is no
"bright line” test for determining the degree of prejudice existing in the collective
mind of the community...the defendant must show the extent of prejudice in the minds

I could possibly see the point of self-inflicting an injury in order to have an "alibi" of being in another part of the state on the date of the crime. However, it's pretty dumb to self-inflict stab wounds, because most people know that the police are automatically called to the hospital whenever someone presents with a gun shot wound or stab wound. Seems like he'd want to avoid any contact with LE and stay under the radar, kwim? Or it could possibly be self-inflicted to hide bite-marks, scratches, etc - but why would he stab himself so severely as to need medical attention, because again the police would be called. The stab wounds are puzzling to me, because I don't believe they were self inflicted and also I don't think he would've sought medical attention unless it was pretty severe. And if the wounds were severe, how would this affect him in trying to hide evidence? Just not sure what to think of the stabbing incident, definitely don't believe it was a random mugging.

It doesn't appear to be common but it certainly seems possible that a victim can get the best of her attacker. These were the only cases I could locate. (I still tend to believe self-inflicted)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,227896,00.html

http://www.dreamindemon.com/2011/04/28/police-rape-victim-stabs-attacker-four-times/

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Rape-victim-stabs-attacker-20120502

http://www.realpolice.net/forums/po...tical-condition-shame-she-didnt-have-gun.html

[ame="http://www.nnnforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91048"]While being raped, victim stabs attacker - NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum[/ame]

This article is about hesitation (self-inflicted) wounds.

Hesitation, or tentative, wounds are defined either as: any cut or wound that is self-inflicted after a decision is made not to commit suicide, or any tentative cut or wound that is made before the final cut that causes death. Such wounds are usually superficial, sharp, forced skin cuts found on the body of victims. These less severe cutting marks are often caused by attempts to build up courage before attempting the final, fatal wound. <modsnip>
http://www.enotes.com/hesitation-wounds-reference/hesitation-wounds

This article is about hesitation (self-inflicted) wounds.

Hesitation, or tentative, wounds are defined either as: any cut or wound that is self-inflicted after a decision is made not to commit suicide, or any tentative cut or wound that is made before the final cut that causes death.
<snipped for space>

Although usually used in association with attempted suicides, hesitation wounds are sometimes made in order to provide an alibi (a claim to have been elsewhere when a crime was committed) or to be seen as a victim (when in actuality the person was an active participant in the crime).

http://www.enotes.com/hesitation-wounds-reference/hesitation-wounds

Great information, CajunStrong, thanks for posting it.

It sure seems that BSL's wounds, especially as fresh as they would have been on the day he went to the ER, would have had a story to tell. I wonder if the staff that day noted anything along these lines? Wonder also if they might have speculated that he might be a "cutter" (and he could be, for all I know)?

Of course, the staff that day did not know to examine the wounds specifically in the light of a possibility that they might be defensive wounds from a victim instead of offensive ones from an attacker -- but maybe they noted something that would be of help.

I'm sure, too, LE photographed the injuries and experts could have a go at them later -- just thinking observations from the ER staff would be really interesting.

WARNING!!! DO NOT open this if you have a weak stomach!! This guide shows a body in all different stages of decomposition as well as a body that has suffered different types of deaths. It is NOT for the faint of heart!

This is a guide to Injury and Death Investigations and is very graphic. If you can manage to block out the horrendous photographs as i did there is some very interesting information here about how an investigation is completed.

If this is too graphic please feel free to delete it.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0073401536/592412/Swanson10e_ch09.pdf

http://www.fox8live.com/story/19023...eport-could-be-part-of-missing-students-probe

[quote]"The victim was known to have carried a sharp object along with some pepper spray," said Tulane criminologist Wade Schindler.[/quote]

Just wondering if this is a "reliable" source?
Just because BW doesn't have knowledge of her having a "boxcutter" or "sharp object" I do not feel as if that makes it a FACT. In the article I linked her family also spoke to the same reporter. For what I have seen so far they would have set the record straight.
:fence:

JMVHO

Now I wonder about the scars listed on his Offender Details!!!!

Are they REALLY surgical scars? 2 one inch scars LEFT ribs
and 1 inch scar R hand.
Even if they are surgical I wonder why surgery was required...

maybe this is his "MO" too???
Does he have stories of being "stabbed" before?
http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=1417897&AgencyID=54417

(guess they don't update their site often):dunno:

Great information, CajunStrong, thanks for posting it.

It sure seems that BSL's wounds, especially as fresh as they would have been on the day he went to the ER, would have had a story to tell. I wonder if the staff that day noted anything along these lines? Wonder also if they might have speculated that he might be a "cutter" (and he could be, for all I know)?

Of course, the staff that day did not know to examine the wounds specifically in the light of a possibility that they might be defensive wounds from a victim instead of offensive ones from an attacker -- but maybe they noted something that would be of help.

I'm sure, too, LE photographed the injuries and experts could have a go at them later -- just thinking observations from the ER staff would be really interesting.

I hope they photographed them. I think they would.

There have been many cases, a few here on WS, where the attacker claimed to be the victim. It's my understanding that the hospital staff had little to do with determining or even trying to identify if they could be self-inflicted. I believe this is part of the investigation and only a forensic expert can determine if they are self-injuries.

I have read that self-injuries are typically superficial, more of a slice than a stab, usually of equal depth, rarely life threatening and very rarely to the eyes, lips, nipple area or sexual organs.

Of course, I hope it is proven that Mickey was able to attack him! I don't want anyone to feel I am taking this valiant attack away from her. She is just as much of a hero either way.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/19023...eport-could-be-part-of-missing-students-probe

[quote]"The victim was known to have carried a sharp object along with some pepper spray," said Tulane criminologist Wade Schindler.

Just wondering if this is a "reliable" source?
Just because BW doesn't have knowledge of her having a "boxcutter" or "sharp object" I do not feel as if that makes it a FACT. In the article I linked her family also spoke to the same reporter. For what I have seen so far they would have set the record straight.
:fence:

JMVHO

I think it is very possible that it is reliable. I carry a mini box cutter and I don't think I have ever told anyone. I also sleep with a giant butcher knife near my bed and surely no one would know that. Obviously, I watch a too few many crime shows and am a scaredy cat!

I hope they photographed them. I think they would.

There have been many cases, a few here on WS, where the attacker claimed to be the victim. It's my understanding that the hospital staff had little to do with determining or even trying to identify if they could be self-inflicted. I believe this is part of the investigation and only a forensic expert can determine if they are self-injuries.

I have read that self-injuries are typically superficial, more of a slice than a stab, usually of equal depth, rarely life threatening and very rarely to the eyes, lips, nipple area or sexual organs.

Of course, I hope it is proven that Mickey was able to attack him! I don't want anyone to feel I am taking this valiant attack away from her. She is just as much of a hero either way.

I hope they did too! Since he spoke to police for 2 hours as "a victim"
I am going say yes they did. There was an investigator assigned to the case so....:please:

WARNING!!! DO NOT open this if you have a weak stomach!! This guide shows a body in all different stages of decomposition as well as a body that has suffered different types of deaths. It is NOT for the faint of heart!

This is a guide to Injury and Death Investigations and is very graphic. If you can manage to block out the horrendous photographs as i did there is some very interesting information here about how an investigation is completed.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0073401536/592412/Swanson10e_ch09.pdf

Thanks for this. You have posted some great links. I have seen quiet a few bodies in my short time in my profession. You can look at photos but when you see something abnormal those dont help when it's the reality. Although I think death can be special when a person passes and has their family around them and you look at them and they look at peace, death can also be horrid. I will never forget the first time I threw up at a body when the person lost their face it was a hOrrible sight, I won't go into too many graphic details.

Thanks for this. You have posted some great links. I have seen quiet a few bodies in my short time in my profession. You can look at photos but when you see something abnormal those dont help when it's the reality. Although I think death can be special when a person passes and has their family around them and you look at them and they look at peace, death can also be horrid. I will never forget the first time I threw up at a body when the person lost their face it was a hOrrible sight, I won't go into too many graphic details.

Thank you. I do not handle graphic pictures well at all or even horror movies. Thank the Lord I have not seen anything like this in real life. I have lost many in my time but when my grand daddy passed on I was right there and he was finally at peace.

It helps that I very strongly believe in heaven. I was very ill a couple of years ago and was in the ICU. My momma and the nurse were sitting in the room. There was another patient in another bed to my right. I looked up and there were two soldier looking men in uniform standing between the beds facing me. Both young and handsome and they looked very much alike. I knew they were there for me and even asked why were they there to take me. They did not even seem to notice me. The nurse ran over and asked my name and what date it was, etc. all of which I knew. In that very moment the patient next to me passed on and the soldiers were gone. Now I was in bad shape and the nurse knocked me out. When I came too a couple of days later I was told that the nurse shared what I saw and the woman's daughter said that her momma had lost two brothers in the war.

Now you do with that what you will.

This gives me peace knowing that Mickey and others are in heaven and we will all be reunited one day with our lost loved ones.

Sorry if this has been established already.According to this article BL got to the hospital "on the afternoon of May 19"

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/.../Record-shows-trouble-followed-murder-suspect

quote from article.
However, an incident report from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office shows Lavergne sought treatment at Ochsner Hospital in New Orleans for non-life-threatening stab wounds to "the chest, back, neck and hand," on the afternoon of May 19

I think that this source saying on the "afternoon" of the 19th reflects the same confusion we were experiencing here on WS when mulling over the incident report.

There is an afternoon time (3ish p.m., I think) mentioned in the report, but the consensus seems to be now that that time reflects when BSL said the attack took place, not when he arrived at the ER.

Some were also thinking he arrived 11ish p.m., which seems actually instead to be the time one of the LEs that responded arrived at the ER.

I think it kinda got hashed out here finally that he likely arrived 8-9ish p.m., but IMO we really don't know just when he arrived.

I hope they did too! Since he spoke to police for 2 hours as "a victim"
I am going say yes they did. There was an investigator assigned to the case so....:please:

Ahh! I was meaning LE would have photographed them when he was arrested ... but yes, of course, why didn't I think that LE at the hospital may have photographed them! Maybe they did!

You know after looking at that hand injury from a defensive knife wound...

I was leaning towards 3 self inflicted wounds to cover up his crime...
Now I am really thinking maybe she did get him good.
I really just don't know now!
That remains to be seen!

That remains to be seen!

I don't know either! I have only based my opinion on the fact that so few women have stabbed their attackers in this way to the number of attackers have faked injuries to prove an alibi. In his case an alibi to account for what wounds she did inflict.

The finger injury, if there is one, it is what puts me on the fence. It could be a defensive wound as he tried to prevent the knife from stabbing him or it could be that his hand slipped down onto the blade due to the force in which he stabbed someone which is common. Both are common I guess.

I am 60% self-inflicted, 39% Mickey inflicted and 1% the guy with the gold teeth!

That remains to be seen!

See, my theory of him self-inflicting the stab wounds goes against my theory that he would have strangled her. I really don't think he is the stabbing a victim to death type. I don't think he would have used the knife.

Oh Lord, this all sounds so morbid. With all that said, I still do hold out hope that she is still somehow alive.

I think my brain has turned to mush!

The more I read the more I'm shocked over how calculated BSL is. Id rather Mickey had left the wounds on him but it doesnt seem too off base that he may have self inflicted.

Mickey kicked his butt I'm sure.

:mad:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Cajunstrong!

Coffee & Corpses-the Breakfast of Champions! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni