2-year-old female child ran over by car (twice!!), 18 passersby ignore her.

Poor little baby girl. It's just sickening to see all those people go by and do nothing. Is this the world we live in? And where the HE!! was her mother all that time?

Poor little baby girl. It's just sickening to see all those people go by and do nothing. Is this the world we live in? And where the HE!! was her mother all that time?

After living in Manhattan for a decade, I can say that if you cram enough people together, maintaining one's focus becomes a matter of survival. It isn't always a matter of not caring; often it's a matter of literally not seeing and/or not hearing.

Because female infants are often abandoned in China, I'm not suprised at the behaviour exhibited by the passer-by's. The culture dictates behaviour that we would not allow in the USA. I pray for this child and all she went through. Until behaviour changes in China, events like this will continue.

MOO

Mel

Violations Against Female Children: The one-child policy, in conjunction with the traditional preference for male children, has led to a resurgence of practices like female infanticide, concealment of female births and abandonment of female infants. Female children whose births are not registered do not have any legal existence and therefore may have difficulty going to school or receiving medical care or other state services. The overwhelming majority of children in orphanages are female and/or mentally or physically handicapped.

Souce: http://www.christusrex.org/www1/sdc/hr_facts.html#Woman

After living in Manhattan for a decade, I can say that if you cram enough people together, maintaining one's focus becomes a matter of survival. It isn't always a matter of not caring; often it's a matter of literally not seeing and/or not hearing.

As a mother, I cannot understand ever losing focus of your two-year-old child long enough for her to be hit by two vehicles and have eighteen "people" walk or ride on by before you realize you don't know where she is.

As a human, I cannot understand anyone seeing a child, laying in the street hurt and bleeding, being able to go on as if she wasn't there at all.

Because female infants are often abandoned in China, I'm not suprised at the behaviour exhibited by the passer-by's. The culture dictates behaviour that we would not allow in the USA. I pray for this child and all she went through. Until behaviour changes in China, events like this will continue.

MOO

Mel

Violations Against Female Children: The one-child policy, in conjunction with the traditional preference for male children, has led to a resurgence of practices like female infanticide, concealment of female births and abandonment of female infants. Female children whose births are not registered do not have any legal existence and therefore may have difficulty going to school or receiving medical care or other state services. The overwhelming majority of children in orphanages are female and/or mentally or physically handicapped.

Souce: http://www.christusrex.org/www1/sdc/hr_facts.html#Woman

I know you're right, Mel. And while such ignorance shouldn't be going on anywhere on the face of the earth in this day and age, it does.

I will be ever more vigilant to ensure there is no more "Made in China" in my home or my life.

As a mother, I cannot understand ever losing focus of your two-year-old child long enough for her to be hit by two vehicles and have eighteen "people" walk or ride on by before you realize you don't know where she is.

As a human, I cannot understand anyone seeing a child, laying in the street hurt and bleeding, being able to go on as if she wasn't there at all.

Oh, I agree about the mother. There's no excuse.

I was only talking about the passersby. I'm saying they may not have seen the child even if they looked right at her.

I was walking down West End Avenue (Manhattan) one day in the 70s when I realized a man had been screaming for help for some time. I went back a block to find him and sure enough: it was just another crazy homeless guy screaming to himself on the corner.

But the point was that I had walked right by without seeing or hearing him, despite the screaming. Blocking out distractions is a matter of survival in a crowded city.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/10/chinese-toddlers-hit-and-run-mother-praises-rescuer/

Mom of 2 yr old says of woman who pulled child from street:
“I don’t have enough words to thank her with,” the mother, who would identify herself only as Qu, said at the hospital on Monday, according to China Daily.

Doctors say about child:
The Guangzhou Daily quoted the hospital’s head of neurosurgery as saying the girl is likely to remain in a vegetative state if she survives.

I feel physically ill after reading this and seeing the pictures. What is wrong with people???

While I agree with Nova that sometimes we just truly don't notice things going on around us, I would like to think that as a mother, I would notice an injured child lying in the road. I would hope that my motherly instincts would kick in.

What a horrible story. :(

Unbelievable... :( How can you miss a hurt child in a road. I think the people that didn't stop need to rethink about what is more important.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back