MO - Lisa Irwin, 10 months, Kansas City, 4 Oct 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question....why is is okay to say "the kids" when referring to one's children, but people freak out if it is singular, i.e "the kid"?

Just wondering...

I have a friend from Michigan, and he refers to his son as "the kid" all the time. I have never found it strange at all. He only has that one child.

My comment was followed by imo --which stands for imo
and

My siggyline states the same thing.

Yes of course, didn't mean to infer that you weren't entitled to it.
Apologies if it came across that way.

Please do some research on implanted chips in pets and cancer, tumors.....

Well, this is scary!! We rescued a dog from a shelter and they had already put a chip in her. It's SOP for them...they do it with all their rescues.

Now I'm worried about Princess Gigi Peeperton. Her name is really just Gigi, but somehow we started also calling her Princess Gigi Peeperton. And, she has a song to go along with it. Thankfully you can't hear me sing it...

This may sound a bit off the wall but it's so common today for animal owners to put chips in their pets so if they are lost or stolen they can be located...in the very near future we may see this with all babies when they are born or with parents of toddlers who choose to do so....

I think if I had small children and it was available I would seriously consider it......it's a dangerous world out there today!!! :(
Am I off the wall or what???:twocents:

No chips for me or my loved ones - but I'm old-school, as are my daughters. We rather like the idea of privacy & freedom of movement, despite the so-called "risks".

Again...it depends. "That Child" is another Southern term, and it is often used in place of a child's name. I have heard a lot of people using it instead of a child's name my entire life, so to me it does not sound the least bit odd. It sounds familiar.
To someone in Colorado, however, it may seem cold.

Ella, I agree with what you're saying that these statements are okay, but Kansas City isn't southern. It's midwestern. Which is fine whatever terms they use, but I wouldn't be assigning "southern terms" to them. They aren't in the south.

Like I said my thinking was probably off the wall :)

Maybe, but I understand. I feel that way when I look through the unidentified persons files. I think, if we found someone's lost pet, we scan them. But some of these unidentified people, no one every claims them. It's sad. :(

I have a heard time believe a teenager would take a baby unless it was for sexual purposes.

I think, IMO they are looking closer to home.

I wondered this exact same thing but then why would they want a DNA sample from the teen? That seems a little much for stolen phones but I really don't know.

No way LE would collect DNA for 3 missing cell phones.

imo

I have a question....why is is okay to say "the kids" when referring to one's children, but people freak out if it is singular, i.e "the kid"?

Just wondering...

LOL!!

This is so true and I'm not sure why it is this way. I always say "the child" unless I am speaking about something "bad" a child did then I will say "the kid" or that kid."

Can you imagine if Baby Lisa's mother called her "the kid?" :giggle:

Oh my God I soooooo need an old lady's version of this thread. I read a page, click for next page, and 5 more have filled up.

:floorlaugh:

A GPS device can't be implanted inside a child. It's too big. We do have them on the market, for people with alzheimers who wander or criminals under house arrest - they're a little big bigger than the biggest men's watch. They can't be implanted inside the body because their batteries have to be changed, and they're huge.

If someone is likely to go missing - again, the examples above - they can be strapped around the ankle and an alarm sounds if they are cut off.

A bit much for regular kids to wear around.

Won't be long till they are smaller. technology changes so very fast.

Just wondering...

I have no problem with the kids or the kid,but usually mean this kind

Attachments

• IMG00349-20110702-1358.jpg
    IMG00349-20110702-1358.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG00164-20110211-1127.jpg
    IMG00164-20110211-1127.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 9
No chips for me or my loved ones - but I'm old-school, as are my daughters. We rather like the idea of privacy & freedom of movement, despite the so-called "risks".
Amen to that, and I'm not even a libertarian - just a realist uncomfortable with giving the government access to features of control.

Just heard on JVM, mom sid she failed poly........

JMO, not implying guilt or innocence, but I believe if my child was missing I would be so drugged by the doctors that I would probably fail also. I doubt anyone could make any sense out of what I was saying.

Body language as in micro expressions? No disrespect, but my understanding was that that is legit, with support from cross-cultural and comparative (animal) research. ...Not that I don't think it couldn't be misapplied.

And can someone give me a quick synopsis of the research behind statement analysis? I'm not at all familiar with it, but I've seen a lot of references to it in Lisa's and others' threads.

It's used in investigation and interrogation. Here's a link to a book on it. http://www.crimeandclues.com/index.php/criminal-investigation//29--what-do-suspects-words-really-reveal

It came up a lot in the Casey Anthony case too.

:floorlaugh:I was thinking "Nobody is chipping my Grandbabies" but I was worried about being too opinionated...I am so glad the great Sorrell is here to disabuse me of that notion. :bananalama: Just a moment of levity in an otherwise frustrating day waiting for new of this sweet babygirl.

So if the teen is a minor, his parents would have to consent to DNA being taken?

There may have been a warrant....there was a lot of paperwork being shuffled around on the video taken that day, and the reporters said that LE was there for more than an hour.

jmo

Won't be long till they are smaller. technology changes so very fast.

They will still need a battery change. And actually, technology hasn't made them smaller in 20 years. My husband's company is following this technology, because it would be GREATLY marketable if it was smaller and you didn't have to get to it to change the battery. I actually wore one, once, and it's very heavy and impractical for regular run of the mill kids. Again, for criminals and alzheimers patients, or maybe children with autism who run away all the time, it would be worth it.

Again...it depends. "That Child" is another Southern term, and it is often used in place of a child's name. I have heard a lot of people using it instead of a child's name my entire life, so to me it does not sound the least bit odd. It sounds familiar.
To someone in Colorado, however, it may seem cold.

There's a courtroom scene in The Client during which attorney Reggie Love (Susan Sarandon) refers several times to young Mark Sway (the late Brad Renfro) as "the child". Mark blurts out in court, "Stop calling me "the child!" The book/film location is Memphis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak