‘I love mysteries,’ says Forrest Fenn, claiming hidden gold

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/56081370-68/story.csp

Santa Fe, N.M. » For more than a decade, he packed and repacked his treasure chest, sprinkling in gold dust and adding hundreds of rare gold coins and gold nuggets. Pre-Columbian animal figures went in, along with prehistoric "mirrors" of hammered gold, ancient Chinese faces carved from jade and antique jewelry with rubies and emeralds.

Forrest Fenn was creating a bounty, and the art and antiquities dealer says his goal was to make sure it was "valuable enough to entice searchers and desirable enough visibly to strike awe.".............

Three years ago, he lay two of his most beloved pieces of jewelry in the chest: a turquoise bracelet and a Tairona and Sinu Indian necklace adorned with exotic jewels. At the bottom of the chest, in an olive jar, he placed a detailed autobiography, printed so small a reader will need a magnifying glass. After that, he says, he carted the chest of loot, now weighing more than 40 pounds, into the mountains somewhere north of Santa Fe and left it there.

Next, Fenn self-published a memoir, The Thrill of the Chase, distilling the autobiography and, intriguingly, including a poem that he says offers clues to lead some clever — or lucky — treasure hunter to the bounty............

"I am 100 percent sure that he really did go out and hide this thing. I am actually surprised that anyone who knows him would think he was blowing hot air. It is just not his personality. He is not a tricky, conspiratorial, slick or dishonest person at all."

Fenn says his main goal is to get people, particularly children, away from their texting devices and looking for adventure outdoors...........more .......

He sounds like a delightful man, having a whale of a time with this.

B.U.T. ~~

If many people do show up looking for the treasure when weather warms up, things could get pretty interesting, rivalries, etc.

I also feel some concern for the man himself. (Please, no home invasions.) I'm afraid that all the publicity, including descriptions of what he has in his home, might lure criminals. Hope he stays safe.

He sounds like a delightful man, having a whale of a time with this.

B.U.T. ~~

If many people do show up looking for the treasure when weather warms up, things could get pretty interesting, rivalries, etc.

I also feel some concern for the man himself. (Please, no home invasions.) I'm afraid that all the publicity, including descriptions of what he has in his home, might lure criminals. Hope he stays safe.

I agree. This story reminded me of the Disappeared episode on Jesse Capen, who became obsessed the Lost Dutchman Mine.

Of course there is some controversy.

Forrest Fenn confirms his treasure has been found
The search for treasure might be over, but the fight sure isn't.

Forrest Fenn, an 89-year-old Santa Fe author and artifacts dealer, said his treasure chest hidden in the Rocky Mountains in 2010 was found last week.

"It's true," Fenn told The New Mexican in a phone call Sunday, adding that the finder of his chest located the valuable goods "a few days ago."

Fenn wouldn't say where the treasure was found or who found it.

"The guy who found it does not want his name mentioned. He’s from back East," he said, adding that it was confirmed from a photograph the man sent him.

Fenn declined to produce the photograph Sunday.

An estimated 350,000 people have hunted for Fenn's treasure. Some quit their jobs to do so. But it's had deadly consequences. At least five people have died while searching for the chest.

Barbara Andersen, a Chicago real estate attorney, said she is filing an injunction in federal District Court alleging she solved the puzzle but was hacked by someone she doesn't know.

"He stole my solve," she said in an interview. "He followed and cheated me to get the chest."

Andersen, who has been licensed to practice law in Illinois since 1998, is representing herself.

In the injunction, she seeks to stop an unknown defendant from selling booty from the treasure chest. She is also asking the court to give the chest to her.

And that's not the only court case involving Fenn's treasure.

In December, David Harold Hanson of Colorado Springs, Colo., sued Fenn for $1.5 million, claiming he has deprived him of the treasure through fraudulent statements and misleading clues.

A judge threw out the case in February, citing mishandled procedure for serving Fenn with the lawsuit. But last week Hanson petitioned the court to reopen the case.

Hanson could not be reached Sunday for comment.

One treasure hunter taking Fenn to court was skeptical of the timing.

Brian Erskine of Prescott, Ariz., said in his complaint, filed in U.S. District Court, that he “solved the quest.”

Erskine said the site in question is in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, between the towns of Silverton and Ouray and accessible by U.S. 550, also known as the “Million Dollar Highway.”

"He just got served with my lawsuit, and now we have this press release," he said in an interview Sunday.

Among other arguments for his case, Erskine says abandoning a chest of valuables in the wild, as Fenn says he has done, means he couldn't "give title" as Fenn writes in his memoir, The Thrill of the Chase.

Erskine said he's confident his lawsuit will proceed.

And still others believe the treasure never existed — or had already been given away.

"I think his announcement is at least a few years, and a few lives, too late. But he has to live with that. I believe this was over much earlier than today," said treasure hunter Seth Wallack.

"I think 2019 is the year he said was his last to do any interviews about the treasure, which I interpret as he lost interest because the hunt was no longer," Wallack added. "In 2020, he said the treasure was found, but doesn't reveal any details so his narrative can't be questioned."

Saying he wanted others to take part in an old-fashioned adventure, Fenn published clues online and in a 24-line poem published in his memoir.

In 2017, he told The New Mexican the chest weighs 20 pounds and its contents weigh another 22 pounds. He said he delivered the chest to its hiding place over two trips, by himself.

Asked how he felt Sunday, Fenn said it's been quite the decade.

"I don’t know, I feel halfway kind of glad, halfway kind of sad because the chase is over,” Fenn said.

Staff writer Robert Nott contributed to this report.

Treasure chest hidden in Rocky Mountains finally found | Daily Mail Online

"A bronze chest filled with gold, jewels, and other valuables worth more than $1 million and hidden a decade ago somewhere in the Rocky Mountain wilderness has been found, according to a famed art and antiquities collector who created the treasure hunt.

Forrest Fenn, 89, told the Santa Fe New Mexican on Sunday that a man who did not want his name released - but was from 'back East' - located the chest a few days ago and the discovery was confirmed by a photograph the man sent him.

'It was under a canopy of stars in the lush, forested vegetation of the Rocky Mountains and had not moved from the spot where I hid it more than 10 years ago,' Fenn said in a statement on his website Sunday that still did not reveal the exact location.

'I do not know the person who found it, but the poem in my book led him to the precise spot.'"

I totally came here to see what my websleuths people have to say about this... And mostly crickets... I always have doubt first glance (cuz im websleuths) I've been looking for confirmation that puts my mind at ease but not finding it. I would love for all of this to be real...i love a good scavenger hunt and i love for someone to reap the reward. Im just not feeling it w this. Even though i kind of feel like this guy Flynn had it in him to do this (hiding a treasure). Someone prove the find please.

FWIW, in case you have not seen this photo & article from yesterday: Fenn posts treasure pictures online. Also more at dalneitzel.com.

Fenn said: "The treasure chest was found by a man I did not know and had not communicated with since 2018."
^ Unusual phrasing? If Fenn did not know him, then how/why were they communicating?

Personally I have not read any of the FF books or followed news about the searches, except re the couple ppl who died in their frantic treks. Sad.

Last edited:
FWIW, in case you have not seen this photo & article from yesterday: Fenn posts treasure pictures online. Also more at dalneitzel.com.

Fenn said: "The treasure chest was found by a man I did not know and had not communicated with since 2018."
^ Unusual phrasing? If Fenn did not know him, then how/why were they communicating?

Personally I have not read any of the FF books or followed news about the searches, except re the couple ppl who died in their frantic treks. Sad.
Just because someone communicates with you does not mean that you know them

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708