NY NY - Patrick Alford, 7, Brooklyn, 22 Jan 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about getting names. As soon as we have something to go on....

Salem

It's been dark for awhile now, back there and I imagine it is pretty cold in New York this time of year. I hope he has found shelter or, better yet, that he has been found and is safe.

I'm not understanding how the foster mom lost him on the way to the garbage can? I worried.

Salem

Both last night and tonight, Salem. He went missing Friday. :( According to weather.com, its in the low 30s tonight in Brooklyn, and got down to 28 last night. This is bad, especially if he wasn't dressed for the weather (NCMEC says he was last seen in a t-shirt).

Also, the first article said "trash compactor" instead of just taking the trash out to the can/bin. That just brings up all sorts of horrible things in my mind that I don't even want to think about right now.

New York City police are looking for 7-year-old boy who disappeared from his home in Brooklyn Friday night. Investigators say Patrick Alford ran out of his home on Vandalia Avenue in East New York when his foster mother went to throw out the trash.
Police are talking to the boy's biological mother, but they do not believe foul play was involved.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7235740

A trash compactor does make more sense in these large apt.complexes.
At the same time changes possibilites, imo.

Not good in any scenario.

Patrick has been missing for way too long!

Some info about the area where Patrick went missing from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starrett_City,_Brooklyn

After reading at ^^^^ link, I wonder -- wouldn't someone on the street see him & wonder why he was out by himself after dark? I mean, someone with good sense & not a perv....I would certainly notice in my neighborhood if a little one was out on the streets...for one thing, not too many kids are out during the day, so one after dark would catch my attention if I was out & about.

After reading at ^^^^ link, I wonder -- wouldn't someone on the street see him & wonder why he was out by himself after dark? I mean, someone with good sense & not a perv....I would certainly notice in my neighborhood if a little one was out on the streets...for one thing, not too many kids are out during the day, so one after dark would catch my attention if I was out & about.

Very true. But we would then have to assume that it was "not a perv" that could have seen him. Over 1,000 RSOs within 5 miles of his apartment. You're right though. You'd think *someone* would notice a 7 year old, in a tshirt, outside after dark in the winter.

Yes, this is very disturbing in the least.
And Patrick has only been with that foster family for 3 weeks (if I read correctly)--not avery long time to adjust for a little one.
He sounds like he really misses/wants to see/ be with his mommy--very natural, imo.
The poor little guy must be soupset and his whole world has been turned around.
Heartbreaking--and I fear for his safety.
Way too long a time to get info out in the media!!!
:banghead:

Hoping, hoping, hoping for some good news soon that Patrick has been found safe.

Maybe the state didn't want it announced that he disappeared on their watch ?
I was surprised to learn from the owner of a group home that 4 foster kids committed suicide last year in my state alone. There was NO news coverage.

Am I understanding correctly that this little boy was put in foster care 2 weeks ago ?

I confess that the following is my own biased opinion.
They're the government, they don't like these things out in the open.
The public might start questioning what they're doing with our tax $$.

ACS, NYPD Seek Missing Brooklyn Boy

The Adminstration for Children's Services worked with police Saturday to try to locate a missing Brooklyn child.

Patrick Alford, aged seven, was last seen Friday evening leaving the lobby of the Spring Creek Development in the Starrett City section of Brooklyn, where he lives with a foster family.

Alford's biological family says the boy was placed there by ACS officials when he was taken away from his mother. They also say a caseworker informed them that the boy was missing from his foster home.

ACS officials would not go into detail on Saturday about how the boy disappeared or why the child was removed from his original home.

More: http://www.ny1.com/9-staten-island-...s/112529/acs--nypd-seek-missing-brooklyn-boy/

I'd like to know why he was taken.
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/brooklyn/100123-Patrick-Alford-Missing-Boy
According to this article.... He has a thin build and is in good physical and mental health.
Doesn't seem to fit the description of an abused child to me.

Cops are searching for a 7-year-old boy who vanished from his Brooklyn foster home after living there for less than three weeks.
Patrick Alford, 7, had been taken from his biological parents just days ago and was homesick, his foster family said.
At 9 p.m. Friday, he accompanied his foster mother to the trash compactor at their East New York home. When his mom turned her back, Patrick, 4-foot-8 and 65 pounds, slipped away.
"My mother is hysterical right now," said the foster mom's daughter, who asked not to be identified by name. "It's very tragic, but so far no news."
010_alford--300x300.jpg
ALFORD

The daughter said her mother has been taking in foster children for more than 20 years without incident.
Patrick's sister, "J.J.", 4, who is also being cared for by the foster family, "wishes he would come back," she said.
The boy was last seen wearing a red T-shirt, blue jeans and black sneakers, police said.

I would HOPE that someone would have looked in the trash by now. Having said that, I have no strong feeling either way as to whether he ran off or was lured by another.

I have never been to Starrett City but no one puts garbage in a can. In a complex this large, there must be many receptacles for the residents to place their trash. So taking out the trash is not as simple as taking five steps from your side door.

IF he is a runaway: Usually kids his age in the NYC area know the basics on how to use the transit systems... if he comes from a family that utilized public transportation, I would think his first move would be to try to hit the system in an attempt to get to mom's home. With no money, he could have easily approached someone to seek change for fare to "get home". It wouldn't look outright suspicious because there are kids that do ride the system alone, every day. Hopefully LE is scouring the transit system stops between mom's house and his foster home, seeing if anyone saw him and/or helped him out. I do think most stops have security cameras, so maybe they can scan them to look for him. That is: IF he really ran away.

Am I the only one with a hinky meter at RED alert here? The child went outside WITH his foster mother to take the trash out. When she went back in, he wasn't with her:waitasec::waitasec: Ummmm....... how does that work? You walk to the garbage can and back - together? At what point did he leave her side?

I have walked to the garbage can with my son in a number of different locations and I don't remember ever losing him? I'm not getting this, it makes NO SENSE!

Patrick - prayers for you sweetie. Where ever you are, may the angels protect you and guide you to safety.

Salem

I'm with you, your not the only one who's hinky meter is flying high something don't sound right. I pray he is safe and comes home soon.

IF he is a runaway: Usually kids his age in the NYC area know the basics on how to use the transit systems... if he comes from a family that utilized public transportation, I would think his first move would be to try to hit the system in an attempt to get to mom's home. With no money, he could have easily approached someone seeking change for fare to "get home". It wouldn't look outright suspicious because there are kids that do ride the system alone, every day. Hopefully LE is scouring the transit system stops between mom's house and his foster home, seeing if anyone saw him and/or helped him out. I do think most stops have security cameras, so maybe they can scan them to look for him. That is: IF he really ran away.

That presupposes the child was from NYC to begin with. If the kid did not grow up in the 5 boroughs, then he might be clueless about subways.

I don't recall seeing any details about the biological family, which is probably consistent with confidentiality laws.

That presupposes the child was from NYC to begin with. If the kid did not grow up in the 5 boroughs, then he might be clueless about subways.

I don't recall seeing any details about the biological family, which is probably consistent with confidentiality laws.

Good point!

i find it kind of hard to believe that anyone in new york would plan to run away in the middle of january with no winter coat. major hink problem with that. think i will reread to be sure that is what it said....

eta: what i mean by "plan" i mean even if he just ran out of the house to get away for a bit, or actually to leave for good...

I'm sorry I posted last night and then disappeared. My computer crashed and I just turned it off :( out of frustration.

Anyway - the compacter, as opposed to outside dumpsters, makes this story even harder to believe. He's 7? How old is the foster mom? I'm old and I can still catch a 7 year old. And if the child was upset over the recent changes in his life, wouldn't you be holding his hand? Okay - maybe not. Maybe little Patrick didn't want to hold anyone's hand.

So... the story is - they walked from their apt. to the compactor, fostermom is putting trash in and Patrick takes off running? The compactor must have been on the 1st floor then, if he made it outside?

Looking for updates,

Salem

I'm not seeing anything new. But wouldn't these buildings have video at the entrances? LE should be able to determine if in fact Patrick left the building?

It is possible someone from a nearby apartment snatched him. Scary thought.

I'm trying to figure out which building he was in...

Salem

Was hoping for good news on Patrick this afternoon. We still need confirmation on what exactly happened. And a name of the foster mother and biological mother would be nice. Still too many unanswered questions. Not to mention too large of an opportunity for Patrick to run into someone without good intentions.

I wonder if Nancy Grace and/or JVM will pick up his story tomorrow? Hopefully they won't need to because he will be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow