NC NC - Officer Davina 'Dee' Jones, 33, Bald Head Island, 22 Oct 1999

On behalf of the family, I would like to thank everyone who has supported and continue to care about the death of my sister Davina. Thanks for extending me the opportunity to join here. We have two goals: first, the name of the person(s) who did the actual killing; second, those who planned and covered up the murder. In some ways I believe the latter group is more guilty than the first. The family has suffered for a long time; if there is any law left worth defending in this county, it should be the one that hold offenders accountable for harming police officers on duty. It is despicable to me that in my sister's case, law enforcement helped deny her justice. Again, I am happy to be here.

On behalf of the family, I would like to thank everyone who has supported and continue to care about the death of my sister Davina. Thanks for extending me the opportunity to join here. We have two goals: first, the name of the person(s) who did the actual killing; second, those who planned and covered up the murder. In some ways I believe the latter group is more guilty than the first. The family has suffered for a long time; if there is any law left worth defending in this county, it should be the one that hold offenders accountable for harming police officers on duty. It is despicable to me that in my sister's case, law enforcement helped deny her justice. Again, I am happy to be here.

:welcome:

Elaine, Thank you for joining WS and stating the goals of your family. I agree, it is despicable that law enforcement helped deny Dee justice.

Do you think that the new DA has the names of the three hispanic men? They were supposedly checked out, right?

I also have a favor to ask of you. (if you have time) Do you have any links bookmarked about the case throughout these past years that you can share with us? I lost all I had saved a few months back when my laptop crashed.

I'm glad you are here!:seeya:

wm

When someone is going to commit suicide with a handgun they usually will put the gun in their mouth, or to the temple. Not to the back of the head. This sounds like an execution.

This case involving the death of an officer on Bald Head Island, N.C. is being reopened by the current DA. It was originally ruled a suicide, but prior to the shooting the female officer can be heard on radio calls telling someone to 'put down the gun'. How it was ever ruled a suicide to begin with escapes me.

its about time they re-opened this case! i never believed that she committed suicide....

thanx for the update, i really didnt think they would ever get it re-opened.

wm, here are some of the articles or videos that were after the SBI and the DA refused to reopen Dee's case. The latest one is from the new DA where he asked for information from the public. The reporter from Channel 11 in Durham was a very young reporter for WECT in 1999. When she saw where the case was being reopened, she sought to do the story several weeks ago. She did an excellent job interviewing Dad and she surprised the former DA and he comes across looking and sounding like the 'person' he is.

Yes, the DA does have the names of the three Hispanics. They went over on the 6:00 ferry that night and left on the first ferry in the morning after they had filled out that sorry excuse for an investigative sheet for the police. They were working at the time in Charlotte, NC for a company that does lawns and such. What they were supposed to be working on all night is anybody's guess. And, nobody knows where they spent the night. At the time I came across the rap sheets on them, it was over 75 pages. Five years, at least, after the Bald Head Island chief tried to get someone to question them and was refused by the BHI officials, the SBI came and told us that the men had been cleared. But then, later, we found out that the SBI agent here had called an SBI agent in Charlotte who called the employer of these men. He declared that they were all church-going, tax paying good citizens. One of the men got a DWI in Raleigh the next week, so my definition and his do not agree. As a matter of fact, the new DA has an identical twin brother who is DA in neighboring New Hanover County. Jon David has a photographic memory. The two brothers worked in Dade County, Florida before they came here. When Jon read the info about these three Hispanics, (one of which was supposed to have been deported), he remembered them from court down there. I hope the info I've seen along is helpful.

One thing I can add, as much as I find it repugnant. There is a young man interested in writing a book about this case. He and his family used to vacation on BHI. When he approached the family, we decided to decline his invitation to work with him. We believe the story is told. He informed me it was poorly written and needed his skills (he is a tv reporter in Va.) to tell it better. He has nagged me wanting me to send him all the information from my book. (Apparently he has no idea of how much he was talking about me copying to send him). Further, I don't like doing his leg work for him. Any penny we get from the sale of the book goes into the fund to help others later. He certainly hasn't mention any donations from his book. I have had him get others to approach me through email to ask questions, too. The last time, I told this person to go to the new DA if he wanted new info. The reporter told me he had connections on the island. If he finds new info, somebody will be in trouble for not coming forward, is all I can say. Plus, he'll be hard pressed to find more than we have. We just need to get some people on the stand in a courtroom. So if he should stumble across this discussion and I realize it's him, I will get really quiet. My sister doesn't deserve his self centered, career climbing goals. On the other hand, the girl from Channel 11 contacted the DA first before talking to any of us. She didn't have to do that, but it shows to me that she is a professional, interested in helping the case, just like she said.

I would like Davina's friends to know that I finally got a badge from BHI. It was not hers, it took over two years, and an active policeman from another state put pressure on to get it. But it is with me. Since they didn't even send a flower to her funeral, I feel like I have some kind of acknowledgement from them that she did in fact work there. Come to find out, the police chief was going to send a broken one, but the town manager sent it back for a decent one.

Some Bald Head Island citizens were incensed when the book first came out and we had our share of discussions online through WWAYTV3. Finally they came to realize that if people like those Hispanics were on their island at night, perhaps there was something to what the book was trying to get across. A few of them even tried to leave flowers for her, too, but they had no better luck than we do. Last year in October, some of us met at the pier on Oak Island where Dee and Grandpa used to fish. It was cold, dark, windy. But we each had a yellow rose, each of us said something and then through our roses into the ocean toward BHI. We talked a few minutes among ourselves, and as we turned to leave, I looked back and the roses were glowing in the light from the pier. The wind or whatever, had blown them into an outline of an angel. It wasn't just me. I called them all back and all of us saw it! Too bad we have to show our support of her in the dark, away from where she died.

As far as going to Bald Head Island, they have gone up on the ferry ticket so much, I don't know when I'll go back. I am the one in the family who needs, wants to go. The rest of the family hates it, but I tell them, she consecrated ground out there and they might think they own it, but they don't own that little spot where they left her like garbage for her to bleed out on the ground.
It is a very pretty place. One advertisement they had said, The island had a soul. I responded, if it has one, it's blood-stained. So if you've never been there and can afford it, please, do so. Just don't go around the lighthouse at night.

Elaine

This is one if not the worst case of a onduty Police man/and-or/ woman murder I read in my whole life.

There sure did not show no code of blue respect on this case. And that is a huge shame! , I hope this case will bother the heads of all police depts and everybody else that worked on this case until day they die..

The code of blue states if fellow officer is killed in line of duty all police officers no matter where they from should work together to find the killer as soon as possible.. This sure didn't work in this one case.. Make me wonder if I hear a police officer is shot or in bad auto accident if I should go again to the hospital and stand in line with the others for hours on end just incase the officer need more blood or anything else..All I am is a Vol. Fire Fighter. Not Police officer.

Bare with us, you now got some of the best investigators bar-none in USA on your side now what I seen from fellow board members...It's just will take some time and 1 lucky break to bring the whole rotten house of card's to come tumbling down..

Elaine

This is one if not the worst case of a onduty Police man/and-or/ woman murder I read in my whole life.

There sure did not show no code of blue respect on this case. And that is a huge shame! , I hope this case will bother the heads of all police depts and everybody else that worked on this case until day they die..

The code of blue states if fellow officer is killed in line of duty all police officers no matter where they from should work together to find the killer as soon as possible.. This sure didn't work in this one case.. Make me wonder if I hear a police officer is shot or in bad auto accident if I should go again to the hospital and stand in line with the others for hours on end just incase the officer need more blood or anything else..All I am is a Vol. Fire Fighter. Not Police officer.

Bare with us, you now got some of the best investigators bar-none in USA on your side now what I seen from fellow board members...It's just will take some time and 1 lucky break to bring the whole rotten house of card's to come tumbling down..
:rocker::rocker::rocker:

I couldn't agree more. Somehow this case was intended to be swept under the rug by those responsible. Guess what? Ain't GONNA HAPPEN! They didn't realize who they were messing with when they took down Davina. I have no doubt that she will see justice here, although she will be looking on from another perspective. Time does NOT heal ALL wounds.
Totally behind the family, here. I don't know any of those involved, but they have a friend in laces.

Thanks, that is great that FORBES picked up the story! I reposted on my facebook page. I also notified FORBES that they made some syntax errors in referring to GRASTY, sometimes using "he" instead of "she". I wish you every success in bringing this to light. I have great faith in this being solved.
:seeya:

Appears a DA Jon David is looking into this case atleast.. News item came out about a year ago..Appear to myself how I read it they giving Mr. David a hard way to go too. There a number you can call if you have any new infromation but when it come to adding links on here I don't know the rules that good..

I believe I hit the nail square on the head with the hammer few post back ..

COVER-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing DA David could investigate is where in the world did some of these Law Enforcement personal get there training at ??

Barney Fife school of Law Enforcement @ Mayberry N.C. Barney had to make a living after TV show shut down.

Thanks, that is great that FORBES picked up the story! I reposted on my facebook page. I also notified FORBES that they made some syntax errors in referring to GRASTY, sometimes using "he" instead of "she". I wish you every success in bringing this to light. I have great faith in this being solved.
:seeya:

laces, I posted it on my FB page too. That was a great article from Forbes. I have confidence in DA Jon David. He's not scared of the good ole boys. I especially like that he is not using BCSD or SBI in his investigation. That's a powerful message in itself.

I hope those responsible for the cover up are squirming right now.....wondering when the hammar could drop.

Davina and her family deserve justice. It's time!

moo

wm

I don't know if this subject been disscussed in other cases.

But what we really need is lot more new Media Reports on this case.. Keep this crime on TV/ Radio & Newspapers. Don't give these useless public good ole boy network's trying to hold on to power a chance to buried this CRIME.. Yes Ray Charles could see this was a CRIME..

I feel this is 1 of our most important cases. This I feel is a case we can win pretty easy I feel somebody knows what all happened and is out there just waiting to call in when they don't feel they all alone, only one who care's and/ or be left out in the cold if they report what they saw that night..

I don't want to get this tread too off track but maybe we can start a other thread just for help in getting people writing to crime's local newspapers in open opioion page..Get something like this working for all the cases.. Letter writing campains ..

Keep case's like this one right on there hot plate where Local's must handle it or get burned trying to hide it..

Help Mod's.. Please... Or I am nut's.. Got brain cancer or something.. Play too much Football too many head injuries..

Thank you so much 'tilda! I don't know how to find the forensic astrology forum? I read the other link you provided, women in crime. Interesting to get some feedback from the orig. author of 'Out With Three'.

Does anyone have any idea who the 'high ranking official' with the 'white van', living on the island is?

BBM

Doing some reading tonight after a busy few days & I found this thread. Being in NC & always admiring BHI, this case has always fascinated me.

I just wanted to put the link to the Forensic Astrology chart cast by WS member LeoMoon80. I always find it fascinating reading the charts.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Forensic Astrology - CASE BRIEFINGS only - # 1

Has anything happened on this case? Its been nearly a year since it was "reopened".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back