GUILTY GA - Rachael Rapraeger for falsifying 1300+ mammogram results, Perry, 2010

al66pine

Reaction score
http://rollingout.com/shame-on-you/1300-mammogram-reports-falsified-georgia-technician/#_

Rachael Rapraeger, a med tech in Perry GA hospital, 100 mi south of ATL, falsified results on ~1300 patients' mammograms over an 18 mo period.

A patient receiving a report showing no sign of breast cancer or abnormality, was diagnosed a few months later, in 2010, w an aggressive stage 2 breast cancer. This pt & 9 other women were shown to have lumps or other cancerous tumors growing inside them.

The tech pleaded guilty to 10 misdemeanor charges of reckless conduct and one charge of computer fraud.
She was sentenced to up to 6 mo in detention and 10 yr probation, during which time she cannot work in the health care field. Also to pay $22,500 fine.

She was vague about the reasons for her actions.
She said she fell behind on work.
She entered the hosp's computer system and assumed the IDs of physicians,
and gave these pts clear reading results.
This allowed her to avoid time consuming paperwork normally required before the films are taken to a reading room for radiologists to examine.

What kind of hosp computer system allows an employee to log in and ASSUME PHYSICIANS' IDs - plural -
and enter data -- ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED TIMES this way?
FLIMSY SECURITY POLICY and/or ENFORCEMENT?
JM 2 cts and I could be wrong.

(I searched W/S for this by def's name, found no thread. If a dup, pls merge)

Sickening that this woman got such a pitiful punishment. This is very hard to believe.

ETA: impersonating M.D.s. Didn't a young man go to jail for impersonating a doctor not long ago. I think he was 17.

http://rollingout.com/shame-on-you/1300-mammogram-reports-falsified-georgia-technician/#_

Rachael Rapraeger, a med tech in Perry GA hospital, 100 mi south of ATL, falsified results on ~1300 patients' mammograms over an 18 mo period.

A patient receiving a report showing no sign of breast cancer or abnormality, was diagnosed a few months later, in 2010, w an aggressive stage 2 breast cancer. This pt & 9 other women were shown to have lumps or other cancerous tumors growing inside them.

The tech pleaded guilty to 10 misdemeanor charges of reckless conduct and one charge of computer fraud.
She was sentenced to up to 6 mo in detention and 10 yr probation, during which time she cannot work in the health care field. Also to pay $22,500 fine.

She was vague about the reasons for her actions.
She said she fell behind on work.
She entered the hosp's computer system and assumed the IDs of physicians,
and gave these pts clear reading results.
This allowed her to avoid time consuming paperwork normally required before the films are taken to a reading room for radiologists to examine.

What kind of hosp computer system allows an employee to log in and ASSUME PHYSICIANS' IDs - plural -
and enter data -- ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED TIMES this way?
FLIMSY SECURITY POLICY and/or ENFORCEMENT?
JM 2 cts and I could be wrong.

(I searched W/S for this by def's name, found no thread. If a dup, pls merge)

BBM!!!!

Just a HUGE correction: Rachael Rapraeger is NOT a "med tech", rather she is an employee within the Radiology department, NOT the clinical laboratory!! The professional designation is "radiographer" or "radiological technologist" as in the individual who TAKES the "films" and the individual who evaluates/"reads" the films is a physician, a radiologist.

Regarding the hospital computer system, there's a possibility that the M.D.s passwords were "available" to other staff members so they could "facilitate" the reporting (probably on NEGATIVE films). TOTALLY WRONG and hopefully against WRITTEN hospital protocol!

PS: NO WAY DO I think the sentence is applicable to the damages rendered!!!!!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back