CO - Blind special needs teen nearly starved to death, Longmont, Aug 2016 *Arrests*

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

http://kdvr.com/2016/09/07/couple-arrested-for-abusing-starving-autistic-son/

Doctor: Longmont boy resembled concentration camp victim; parents arrested

A mentally challenged boy from Longmont is in the hospital after nearly starving to death. His parents are facing felony child abuse and neglect charges, according to the Boulder County District Attorney's Office.

In court papers, doctors at Children's Hospital Colorado in Aurora said they've never seen a case of malnutrition like this.

An arrest warrant affidavit describes what the boy went through inside his parents' mobile home. The DA's office said the affidavits for both parents are identical. The parents tell detectives the boy consumed only sugary drinks and junk food for more than a decade. In late August, the parents called 911 after the boy lost consciousness.

(...)

A team of veteran doctors told detectives they've never seen vitamin/mineral levels as low as what they found in the boy. One doctor told police the boy's condition was, "consistent with someone who would have been in a concentration camp for several years."

(...)

Jail records show Vanessa Hall bonded out on Wednesday. She is due back in court Sept. 20. David Hall was still behind bars as of late Wednesday. His next court appearance is scheduled for Friday.

http://kdvr.com/2016/09/07/doctor-longmont-boy-resembled-concentration-camp-victim-parents-arrested/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 100
This is so heartbreaking. I have friends with children with autism who only want to eat certain things, but in those cases you reach out for professional help. You don't just let the child either away.

I wonder why he apparently wasn't in school and how he fell off the radar of outsiders. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is the malnutrition made him easier to handle-- as any nourishment was immediately siphoned to keep his vital organs going. I know any number of parents of children with disabilities who home school rather than participate in local schools. I am glad he is out of that situation and still alive.

Longmont mother pleads guilty to lesser charges in malnourishment case
The Longmont mother accused of child abuse [FONT=Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]following the hospitalization of her blind and autistic son[/FONT] could face probation or prison time after reaching a plea deal with prosecutors Friday.

Vanessa Hall, 52, pleaded guilty to two counts of child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury, both Class 4 felonies, in the malnourishment of her teenage son, who doctors likened to a concentration camp survivor.

(...)
Those combined would have carried a 10-year mandatory minimum prison term if the case had gone to trial and Hall been convicted. Now the court has the discretion to sentence Hall to probation or up to 32 years in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back