NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
(snipped)

Is this caller missing too?

Has LE talked to the phone owner?

Does the caller have an alibi for that evening and did family or friends notice them not returning home for a day or longer?

If Maura was meeting someone up there and she disappeared because of an accident or foul play by a stranger, then why didn't this caller come forward?

(snipped)

bbm

I think if she was meeting this caller and if this caller has not come forward to speak to LE, then it sounds suspicious to me - that perhaps this caller is involved in her disappearance.

Of course, the call could have simply been a wrong number...

I thought of this too, but it would be quite a coincidence someone in NH would call a MA number. The area code is different too.

Are we sure, someone was trying to get a hold of Maura?

Maura placed a call to her own voicemail at 4:37 p.m. the day she went missing to check for messages.

What this may prove though, is that Maura didn't travel up I-91 like what has been thought, but rather Maura went up 1-93 instead. She is from the eastern part of massachusetts, so maybe she was either more familiar with I-93 or she had a specific pit-stop in mind on her way up north.

Why would she be traveling east on Rt. 112, after traveling up Rt. 93, which is east of that area?

"Sprint Corporate Security advised this affiant that during the late afternoon hours of February 9, 2004an outgoing telephone call was made to Murray from the Londonderry, NH Sprint tower."
http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/

Based on the call being outgoing from the tower, I take that to mean it was incoming to her cellphone, no?

I can see that the language can be confusing, but it does seem like it was a call to her phone. It could have been just stated as an incoming call to Maura's phone

Just to add some info after verifying,

If Maura has her phone turned on, then it will automatically ping every 30 seconds and hit on whatever cell tower is nearest to where she is located.
It doesn't matter if she is receiving a call, checking her messages, calling out to someone or not doing anything, her phone will ping regardless as long as its turned on

And It is a known fact (at least stated as fact in the original southshore-express series done by maribeth conway) that Maura would've had her phone on at precisely 4:37 p.m. when she checked her voicemail. So whereever she was at 4:37 p.m., the nearest tower to her at that time would've picked up the ping from her phone and recorded it.

even still, when you check your voicemail and you hit the voicemail button on
your phone, it dials your phone number so technically that would count as an incoming phone call. (but probably is a moot point considering the phone pings no matter what as long as its on)

Also, I think why we haven't heard about a mystery phone call in the late afternoon hours before in the past seven years, is because early on, they (Police and sharon rausch etc.) had determined that it was Maura checking her voice mail, therefore no reason to look any deeper.

I'm sure this search warrant request filed by Lt. Landry is real and legit, but we don't know the context of it. Did he file this request early on and then realize it was maura checking her phone messages and so therefore his request became moot (over time). Was Lt. Landry out of the loop compared to other investigators early on in this case?

It is also possible that this chris king guy that got a hold of Lt. Landry's statements may just be going off of that info alone. A lot can change quickly in a case like this, it can be real easy to overanalyze and read into a single search warrant request that was made a long time ago.

I did read about this phone call, but it wasn't elaborated on for some reason. It was left as a mystery.

In the past, I think the incoming call was dismissed as her calling her voice mail and wasn't adequately investigated. I have thought back to myself at Maura's age, trying to understand her motives/actions. I had a secret love, and because of that I did things that would have seemed strange, had anyone investigated me. I believe Maura was a young girl in love, a strong and reckless love, and full of guilt for having to keep it a secret. That's the reason for the strong (over)reaction to a phone call, that's why she took off in the middle of the night to her "dad's motel" and that's the reason for the fateful trip too. Love....I know I did a lot of foolish things because of it when I was 20-ish. It's the only thing that makes Maura's story make sense to me.

So, do you think this secret lover killed her or are they living in secret somewhere?

My opinions only, no facts here:

To keep this thread inspired, I will repost a series of discussions I presented on this case awhile back. These posts been very slightly modified for clarity:

Part 1: There is a "fight or flight" aspect to everybody's personality. It takes a certain event or a chain of successive events for this happen. After Maura wrecked her father's car, something snapped. Something driven by guilt over the accident and a thousand, nay a million snippets of prior history that define one's individual and fascinating personality. Maura decided to go on a road trip for soul-searching and with the childish thought in the back of her mind that she would rent a room up north and call her father and have him come up and visit with her near the old location where they used to go when she was a little girl. Maura is not a party animal, but bought some alcohol and was sipping it as she went. That is only natural (in spite of open container laws), because she
was stressed and just wishing to stay calm. Unfortunately, she was not 100% sober when she rounded the bend on Wild Ammonoosuc Road in wintery conditions, and she slid off. Now, she is really feeling frantic- what if the cops come and arrest her for DUI? She is wrestling with feelings of guilt, remorse, and confusion (even though in reality she has done nothing wrong). She was offered help by a bus driver, but refused it. She walked 100 yards to the junction with Bradley Hill Road at about 1 Wild Ammonoosuc Road. That is where she disappeared. That is where the dog tracked her. That is where the scent ended. Prior to this event, everything that happened was "white noise" and unrelated.

Part 2: As I stated previously, I believe that the crime started at Bradley Hill Road at about 1 Wild Ammonoosuc Road. I am aware of the rag or whatever stuffed in the tailpipe of Maura’s car. I acknowledge it could have been sabotage by another or even a suicide attempt, but this detail somehow seems
so irreverent that is has to be overlooked for now. But if someone were to argue that all of the white noise in the case ended when the car slid off the road and the initial crime occurred right there, I would not vehemently argue against them. But I still believe that Maura walked the 100 yards from the car wreck to Bradley Hill Road at about 1 Wild Ammonoosuc Road by herself. The people who permanently lived around the location of Maura’s disappearance all seem to be respectable and decent. Some of them have subsequently been hounded and I cannot blame them if they are tired of talking. The officers who stopped by the accident scene early on (but Maura was already gone), also appear to be stalwart individuals who acted professionally. I suggest the sleuth look a wee bit beyond the presently-known names for a suspect.

I usually list a calculation of the odds of certain outcomes in an unsolved criminal case. This shows the readers where my mind is at and what my biases are. So here goes:

Maura was abducted by someone who was a “sometimes-resident” of the area- 3 out of 7.
Maura was abducted by someone who was a permanent resident of the area- 2 out of 7.
Maura was abducted by someone randomly passing through- 1 out of 7.
Maura wandered into the woods and died in a non-criminal manner- 0.5 out of 7.
Maura went on a marathon run down the road to places unknown- 0.5 out of 7.
Part 3: following my two previous posts on the Maura Murray case, I want to list the strategies that I have used in the Holly Bobo, Jamison family, Maura Murray, and McStay family cases (and some others):

1) look up ALL of the people named in the case (witnesses, people you suspect, officials, etc.) who are interesting to you- on the internet. Use Google advanced search and put keep adding currently-relevant words in the “without any of these words box” until you can read about the person PRIOR to the case. In the Maura Murray case, simply typing the word “Maura” in the unwanted words box will significantly reduce the number of hits, although this can also cause you to lose a few relevant hits. As soon as a new sensational crime is reported, all of the associated players show up on thousands or hundreds of thousands of hits related to the current case. This is internet “white noise”, and prevents you from getting hits about the person’s past prior to the case.
2) if all of the people named in the case check out OK (no prison time, arrest warrants, UFO abductions etc.), then look at their immediate relatives using Google advanced search in the same reverse manner. Parents have sons and daughters and sons and daughters have parents. There are brothers and sisters and uncles. It is a package deal.
3) to better laser-in-on an individual person of interest, pay close attention to which of the main players is telling the least-believable story. Whose fish gets longer every time they tell the story, and whose fish stays the same length? Silence by itself does not prove anything. People who are even incidentally involved in high-profile cases are being hounded constantly and oft-times get tired of talking to the press. Pay attention to those who offer up words and shrug about the silent ones. There is little you can do about silence. So what might constitute a non-believable story? Three things stand out for me: the story changes significantly over time, the story-teller’s memory gets more accurate with time, or their story is widely-rejected by other major NAMED players in the case.

As others have noted on websleuths, I rarely use a suspect's name. But I give tips so others can have the satisfation of finding their own names. In the best (and worst) case scenario, Maura may be a mile or less from where she disappeared.

Something that police should ask when they go door-to-door in the neighborhood after a crime: do you have any relatives visiting your house or lodging out back? The person who answers the door is not the entire picture.

I am not being provocative, I am being practical. There are three categories in a neighborhood: permanent, sometimes, and transient. The permanent are more likely to be solid and uninvolved. The transient have less to lose and are
most likely to be involved. But the ones in the middle are sometimes overlooked.

I think she could have been hit by a car. It was pitch black and the roads are windy. This is on my list of possibilities.

I think she could have been hit by a car. It was pitch black and the roads are windy. This is on my list of possibilities.

I kinda dismiss this possibility because i would think that if she was hit by a car some evidence oF that would have been found by now...I think its doubtful that if she did get hit that the driver would have taken her body away, unless of course she was still alive and the driver put her in the car, ostensibly to take her to hospital, but then she died on the way. The driver panicked, perhaps dumped her body; I would think more likely the driver would have either called 911 or just taken off from the scene.

JMO

I kinda dismiss this possibility because i would think that if she was hit by a car some evidence oF that would have been found by now...I think its doubtful that if she did get hit that the driver would have taken her body away, unless of course she was still alive and the driver put her in the car, ostensibly to take her to hospital, but then she died on the way. The driver panicked, perhaps dumped her body; I would think more likely the driver would have either called 911 or just taken off from the scene.

JMO

I was thinking she was thrown from the impact into the woods. The driver may have thought they hit an animal.

I don't think Maura is alive. I have been trying to understand her actions. I don't believe she would have made that trip (in her lousy car) without a strong incentive. Getting away by herself doesn't seem like a good fit scenario.

In the past, I think the incoming call was dismissed as her calling her voice mail and wasn't adequately investigated. I have thought back to myself at Maura's age, trying to understand her motives/actions. I had a secret love, and because of that I did things that would have seemed strange, had anyone investigated me. I believe Maura was a young girl in love, a strong and reckless love, and full of guilt for having to keep it a secret. That's the reason for the strong (over)reaction to a phone call, that's why she took off in the middle of the night to her "dad's motel" and that's the reason for the fateful trip too. Love....I know I did a lot of foolish things because of it when I was 20-ish. It's the only thing that makes Maura's story make sense to me.
Thanks for those quote marks! I've been thinking about this case for years and it never occurred to me to question the assumption that she really was on her way to her father's motel that night. Yet now that you've put it in quotes, it suddenly seems very possible to me that she was headed somewhere else (she hadn't driven very far before the accident, so we can't be sure...)

I don't think Maura is alive. I have been trying to understand her actions. I don't believe she would have made that trip (in her lousy car) without a strong incentive. Getting away by herself doesn't seem like a good fit scenario.

I disagree. I think it all depends on her personality. Some people hibernate when things are bothering them. IIRC, Maura told her boyfriend she didn't feel like talking at that time. I'm speculating she was in a mood to be alone when she went up to NH. Maura had a lot of friends, but I think she had a shy nature. IMO, she wasn't ready to talk to anyone or vent. This is just my impression.

I thought of this too, but it would be quite a coincidence someone in NH would call a MA number. The area code is different too.

I disagree. Coincidence is not involved at all, chance is. People dial wrong numbers all the time whether locally or long-distance.

Do any posters here know Maura's cell phone number? (I'm not asking to post it, TOS etc.) The cell plan belonged to Maura and Billy jointly; the bill was sent to Billy's mother, Sharon, in Ohio. Do we know if the account was opened in Massachusetts or in Ohio giving it an Ohio area code?

I disagree. Coincidence is not involved at all, chance is. People dial wrong numbers all the time whether locally or long-distance.

Do any posters here know Maura's cell phone number? (I'm not asking to post it, TOS etc.) The cell plan belonged to Maura and Billy jointly; the bill was sent to Billy's mother, Sharon, in Ohio. Do we know if the account was opened in Massachusetts or in Ohio giving it an Ohio area code?

It would be no coincidence if Maura had a Oklahoma or Ohio number. I know what you mean by a wrong number being called. It has happened to me, but it is a rare occurrence. It happens maybe once or twice a year. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it does seem odd it happened the night she decided to go up to NH and then disappeared. It could be nothing, but it does seem odd.

I see JR is interested in hearing about sightings of MM

I always find sighting of those who have gone missing to be questionable. See this all the time on the ID shows of missing people where all sorts of sightings get reported that never pan out.... It is so easy to mistakes someone who looks similar.
IMO some kind of identifying mark or tattoo is needed to be sure, otherwise you can just about be certain the sighting isn't going to be the person.

I see JR is interested in hearing about sightings of MM

I always find sighting of those who have gone missing to be questionable. See this all the time on the ID shows of missing people where all sorts of sightings get reported that never pan out.... It is so easy to mistakes someone who looks similar.
IMO some kind of identifying mark or tattoo is needed to be sure, otherwise you can just about be certain the sighting isn't going to be the person.

Oldsteve, I agree. A lot of people are not that great at distingishing faces. Also, most of the sightings were far from the scene.

Something new on JR's blog:

"Official Response"

Hmmmm, what to make of that?

Also, still no word about what was found in the horse grave yard that Scoops was looking into?

I have to agree with Renner. It looks like an ongoing criminal case. Yet, I think they could possibly be not absolutely sure, but do want to keep everything under wraps just in case the info they do have is actually evidence of a crime. They could have their eye on a potential suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth