OK OK - Carina Saunders, 19, Oklahoma City, 28 Sept 2011

Oklahoma police ask FBI to profile suspects in death of girl whose body was found in duffel bag (The Republic)

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Investigators in a small Oklahoma City suburb have asked the FBI to help them identify possible suspects in the death of a 19-year-old woman whose dismembered body was found in a duffel bag, the deputy chief of police said Tuesday

Bethany Deputy Chief John Reid said investigators have asked the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit to develop a profile of possible suspects in the death of Carina Saunders, whose beheaded body was found stuffed in a duffel bag behind a grocery store on Oct. 13.
---
Reid said police are tracking down new leads but he declined to discuss details. He said there is no known motive for the slaying and that investigators believe Saunders had no job or permanent residence.

"That's what makes this so tough," he said.
more at link above

Just one observation on the FBI doing a profile on this case. This seems to be routine in many murder investigations these days. But how successful is it? The story relates other ongoing investigations on other cases then says no suspects in those cases so far. I am losing my confidence in profiling period. Does anyone else here have any opinions on this?

Just one observation on the FBI doing a profile on this case. This seems to be routine in many murder investigations these days. But how successful is it? The story relates other ongoing investigations on other cases then says no suspects in those cases so far. I am losing my confidence in profiling period. Does anyone else here have any opinions on this?
Profiling is an interesting art, but an inexact one - a sort of fiction concocted with the hope of matching fact.

The other OK ongoing investigations have no suspects because OK LE is notoriously unsuccessful at solving major cases.

Bethany Police say they still do not have any persons of interest in the homicide investigation of Carina Saunders. Investigators held a press conference Friday and said they also do not have any solid leads despite interviewing more than 50 people.
---
Officers said people are making up stories and calling 911. Bethany PD encourage people only with legitimate information about the case to call police.
http://www.okcfox.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/kokh_vid_4193.shtml?wap=0

Lengthy Daily Oklahoman article with new info:

Despite difficulties, Bethany police work to solve woman's killing
---
[BPD Detective Angelo] Orefice said Saunders, a 2010 graduate of Mustang High School, was known to use methamphetamine, marijuana and Ecstasy. Police have been unable to determine whether she had a job or where she was living at the time of her death.

“She ran with a rough crowd,” Deputy Police Chief John Reid said. “She hung around a lot of different people. And that's what makes this case so hard. We're dealing with people who don't want to have anything to do with the police.”
---
“It's the worst thing I've ever seen,” Orefice said. “People are nervous.”
---
But [BPD Detective Austin] Warfield said he believes Saunders' slaying is an isolated case committed by people she knew who shared her lifestyle.

“I don't think that anybody else is in danger,” he said.
---
much more at link above, including video

Police say he is no longer a person of interest. Police say they have checked his knives. But do they know if they have all his knives or other sharp weapons?

I don't really understand this case. Tweed and Perez had some animosity going between them. That I understand. So how did they become persons of interest in the missing girl's case? The missing girl was last seen in the company of an older man. Has he been identified and has she been seen after being in his company?

Who were the threatening texts from that the cousin recieved? LE should have been able to find that out pretty easily. And were the threats directed at the cousin or at the missing girl?

The cousin last saw her Sept 28. But she didn't report her missing until she got the threatening texts. Where did she think she was between Sept. 28 and Oct. 9?

Why is LE suddenly disparaging the victim? They are talking about the drug use, the rough company, the homelessness. While drug use may be mentioned in a case, the talk about the rough company, seems a little more than what you see in most murder cases.

Why is LE suddenly disparaging the victim? They are talking about the drug use, the rough company, the homelessness. While drug use may be mentioned in a case, the talk about the rough company, seems a little more than what you see in most murder cases.

Generally speaking, I agree with you that disparaging the victim, who can no longer speak for herself, can be very unfair, and also misleading. However, that age group, the college-age crowd, seems to be suffering an epidemic of drug abuse. Perhaps, at least in some cases, confronting the truth of where drug abuse can lead may serve the public good.

Hmmm........

Police investigate death of Oklahoma City woman (Daily Oklahoman)
---
Kelsey Bransby, of Oklahoma City, was found lying on the floor of an apartment in the 3000 block of SW 89 after police were sent to the residence.

She had trauma to her body, but police did not elaborate on the nature of her injuries. Bransby was taken to a hospital where she died over the weekend, police said.

According to Bransby's Facebook page, she graduated from Mustang High School in 2010, which would put her in the same graduating class with Carina Saunders, the 19-year-old whose dismembered body was found in a duffle bag Oct. 13 in Bethany.
---

A slight clarification regarding Kelsey and Carina:
---
The teenager had recently graduated from Vo-Tech through Deer Creek Schools. But had spent much of her childhood at Mustang schools, the same school Carina Saunders graduated from.

In fact, the two would have been in the same graduating class. But no word on whether the two knew each other.

http://bit.ly/unB9zH
---
I checked out their Facebook pages - they did have many F-book friends in common but neither was listed on the others' Friends list.

The Daily Oklahoman continues to allude to Carina's case in articles about Kelsey Bransby's death, which is also being investigated as a homicide:

A 19-year-old woman found critically injured inside an apartment Thursday died from a gunshot wound to the face, the state medical examiner said Tuesday.

Kelsey Bransby, of Oklahoma City, was found inside a friend's apartment in the 3000 block of SW 89.
---
Bransby would have been a member of the same Mustang High School graduating class as Carina Saunders, whose dismembered body was found in a duffel bag near a Bethany grocery store Oct. 13.
---
more at link; police have no suspects in either case

It's starting to sound like the beginning of a serial killing spree.

That community has to be very much on edge. Two of their young ones dead, just as they started adulthood. I would be wondering who was next!

Such a frightening case. Praying that some new leads turn up soon.

I think until the killer is caught every new murder of a young girl in the OKC area is going to keep the community on edge and wondering if there is a possible serial killer at work here.

Another missing girl was found dead. It was confirmed that it was the body of Alina Fitzpatrick today.

Body Found Identified As Missing OKC Teenager

I think until the killer is caught every new murder of a young girl in the OKC area is going to keep the community on edge and wondering if there is a possible serial killer at work here.

Another missing girl was found dead. It was confirmed that it was the body of Alina Fitzpatrick today.

Body Found Identified As Missing OKC Teenager
Good post. If this turns out to be murder, we'll have a Serial Killer Preying on Young Women in OKC? thread.

I am very scared for the young girls in OKC- If I had a daughter-she would not be going out until they caught this killer!!!!

Is it just me or does it sound like thier is alot of covering up going on .How does a girl get shot in the face at her friends place and thier be no suspects . where was the friend , no one saw anyone coming out of the appt building after hearing a gunshot. no camera's and i dont know but to me someone selling thier knives right after a girl is dismemberred bit to much of a coincedence if you ask me . Someone knows something but no one's talking ,

As far as I can find in MSM, there's been no official cause of death released on Alina Fitzpatrick (see BlithePlum @ #29 above), nor a ruling of murder. Nevertheless, WS member Val at The Hinky Meter has this to say about it:

Alina Fitzpatrick case: Who killed Alina?

Instructive. It may be about time for an OKC: Serial Killer on the Loose? thread (though as is pointed out in the piece above Alina doesn't seem to fit the pattern; if there is a pattern).

Carina Saunders, 19
Kelsey Bransby, 19
Alina Fitzpatrick, 17

All dead within about a month of one another.

ETA

I've combined the three cases here: SK alert: Who's killing young women in Oklahoma City?

Sounds promising.....

BETHANY — A drug deal gone bad may lead to the first big break in the case of a woman who was found dismembered in a duffle bag behind a grocery store in October, court records show.

According to a search warrant return filed Nov. 23 in Oklahoma County District Court, Bethany police found a cellphone belonging to an accused drug dealer who they believe is involved in the killing of Carina Saunders, 19.

Jimmy Lee Massey, 33, is charged with trafficking in illegal drugs and a variety of other drug charges. An affidavit for a search warrant to obtain an old cellphone of Massey's indicates Massey has told investigators he has information about Saunders' death.

“It has also been determined that Massey has some involvement in not only the selling of large quantities of drugs, but by his own statements during interview and interrogation has considerable information in regards to the homicide and dismemberment of Carina Saunders,” the affidavit states. “It is believed that there will be information on the phone in the form of (text) messages.”
---
lots more at Daily Oklahoman:

Police: Drug arrest leads to potential break in Saunders case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member