Foreign hackers targeted U.S. water plant in apparent malicious cyber attack, expert

I don't know, the article clearly states that this information is being investigated and has NOT been confirmed.

Water Authorities and Water Treatment Plants have been under the auspices of Homeland Security since the agency was created. There have been security programs in place for all public and private utilities for many years now.

A pump burned up? In the water treatment world that is not an uncommon occurence.

Until this information is verified, I would be cautious in believing the unsourced report that is the basis for the story.

from my own perspective based on the limited info out there about this at the moment. No proof there was any hacking and none of us were ever in any danger.

In plain english, a pump shut down. There was never any threat of water service being lost, toxins being in the water supply or any other dangerous threat from teh incident being discussed.

I believe Homeland security is being thourough and checking to make sure it was a benign computer error and not a hacking scenerio. There is zero evidence that this was a hacking situation. Just a blogger whose imagination has gotten a bit carried away IMO.

It was not Springfield (a larger city in central IL) but a very very small water disctrict in Curran, IL. Curran had an approximate population of around 200 in the year 2010. If you blink when you drive through Curran you will literally miss it.

MOO - if someone wanted to effect terror on a large portion of the population - Curran would not be ground zero. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curran,_Illinois

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back