School children taught about gay foreplay

georgiagirl

Opinionated Southern Belle
Reaction score
The principal of Gorham Middle School sent a letter to parents apologizing for the graphic nature of the presentation by PRYSM, Proud Rainbow Youth of Southern Maine.
“They went beyond the scope of our intentions and discussed topics that we do not deem appropriate for our middle school,” Robert Riley wrote in a letter obtained by The American Journal. “We do not intend to expose them to ideas that are not within the scope of our teaching about responsible citizenship as it is embedded in our code of conduct.”
The incident occurred two weeks before the state voted to approve gay marriage – and involved a classroom of 25 eighth graders.
Howard’s 13-year-old son was one of those who came home shocked by the presentation’s graphic nature.
“They were talking about sex and if you didn’t have a condom – saran wrap could be used in place of a dental dam,” Howard told Fox News. “It was all new to me.”
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-children-taught-about-gay-foreplay.html

I would be furious! This has NOTHING to do with diversity.

And..... WTH is a dental dam?? I am almost 40 and have never heard of this!

A dental dam is a barrier method that is used in oral sex. It can be used by those of any sexual orientation. It's a barrier that helps to prevent transmission or lower the incidence of transmission of STDs. It does not prevent pregnancy.

If parents are upset I get that, they have a right to decide when their child is instructed about and how they are instructed on sex.

However, foreplay is foreplay. JMHO. The definition of foreplay does not change according to orientation.

JMHO

I agree and would be angry even if it were a discussion about hetro foreplay. The issue is that this special interest group came in under the guise of teaching about diversity and tolerance but also discussed sex.

And thanks for the explanation of dental dam.... :blushing:

No problem GG on the dental dam.

Yes, I agree all parents have the right to choose when and how their childen are instructed.

I've always had an open door policy with my own kids. If they were old enough to ask a question they were given an age appropriate response.

I've got some stories where I was asked questions by each of my 5 kids that made it very difficult for me to keep a poker face to be honest :)

I like the way our county public schools handle it. In eighth grade they send home a form asking if your child has permission to attend the sex and puberty portion of the health class. I have no problem with the cirriculum so I always give permission but I am glad they ask first.

Wait, what? Are there parents who object to their eight graders being told about puberty?

A dental dam is a barrier method that is used in oral sex. It can be used by those of any sexual orientation. It's a barrier that helps to prevent transmission or lower the incidence of transmission of STDs. It does not prevent pregnancy.

If parents are upset I get that, they have a right to decide when their child is instructed about and how they are instructed on sex.

However, foreplay is foreplay. JMHO. The definition of foreplay does not change according to orientation.

JMHO

I think the entire story should be taken with a grain of salt. (A. It's a blog, not an article. B. It not only does not quote the presenters of the program, it doesn't even indicate they were contacted for attribution. You know--like a real news outlet would do.) We're told the teachers felt uncomfortable with the presentation and went to the principal who took action. Problem solved, right?

No. Instead there's an unmistakeable attempt by the blog to link the teaching of inappropriately aged children about gay sex with gay marriage equality. It's the same old scare tactic: if gay marriage is legal, then young children will be taught how to have gay sex.

Newsflash: children teach themselves and each other soon enough and without any coaching.

But as Kat correctly notes, there is no such thing as "gay" foreplay that is unique to gay men or lesbians but unknown to straight lovers. Maybe the presenters verbally invoked gay people in their discussion, but there are no special "gay techniques" to be taught.

If indeed inappropriate topics were discussed by the presenters, it must have been quickly, since apparently no one even had time to intervene. The presenters can be reprimanded and/or not invited back. Why is this a news story? Does Fox News cover it every time the curriculum is changed in Maine? Somehow, I doubt it.

Note: Kat, I've been asking dentists (and lesbians) about dental dams since I first heard of them and I have yet to find a dentist who has even heard of their use for disease prevention. As more than one has told me, the outer and inner lips--prime areas for disease transmission--would still be exposed, even with a full dam. AND the dam would block saliva, which normally plays an important role as an antiseptic.

I seriously question whether anyone uses a dental dam sexually unless it is a fetish.

(For those who wonder, such dams are rubber or plastic with tiny pin holes that can be stretched around as many teeth as required. A dam is used to block saliva when a crown or a filling needs to be kept perfectly dry during a dental procedure.)

For the record, my grandchildren have had some idea that two of their grandparents are gay since the kids were about 5. That's about when each asked why two of their grandparents lived together rather than having wives. Their parents compared us to any other married couple. Sex wasn't mentioned, no more than the sex life of their heterosexual grandparents is discussed.

The eldest is now 12. I would answer any question he asked me (as would his parents), but I certainly wouldn't personalize the information and relate it to my husband and I. Doing so strikes me as crossing several boundaries, most of which have nothing to do with our being gay.

Wait, what? Are there parents who object to their eight graders being told about puberty?

I bet there are and that's my problem with leaving the entire subject to parental decision. What about the kids with lousy (or just merely shy) parents?

Don't we have an obligation to them?

(I'm speaking in principle here. I honestly haven't thought enough to opine as to what exact age everything should be taught.)

I think my issue would be with encouraging kids to use Saran Wrap as STD protection. I'd consider that more dangerous than anything else they probably coul dhave said.

I think my issue would be with encouraging kids to use Saran Wrap as STD protection. I'd consider that more dangerous than anything else they probably coul dhave said.

Good point and I agree. That is one more reason why (a) I'm not at all sure any of it happened, or (b) I question the qualifications of the speakers.

Saran wrap as prophylactic is another thing I've never heard of in the gay community.

The entire blog entry reeks of "See? We told you this would happen if you let the queers get married!"

My 11 yr old is in 6th grade. They had the puberty talk with his class in 5th grade and this year is the sex ed talk that encompasses birth control, STD's etc..

Out of his entire class, only 3 parents signed permission slips for their children to take part in the sex ed class. I'm horrified at that number. I proudly say my son is one of the three taking it!

I don't know if they have gotten into foreplay, but they did talk about how not actual sex has to take place for a pregnancy to happen touching while naked can lead to pregnancy.
IF they do choose to teach about foreplay.. no biggie. If they choose NOT to.. no biggie there either, I figured it out without having to be taught lol.

Good for you, peeples! You should be proud.

Why has this become so controversial? It hardly made a ripple when I first had sex ed in 7th grade Health in 1966. And that was in the newly integrated South!

The only controversy I recall from that time was whether we should teach the same subjects in Sunday school! (We did, because it was desired that kids get honest information along with a Christian point of view about that information.)

The Saran Wrap thing was huge in the 50's.

I recall watching Grease with my mother as a kid and John Travolta fiddles with Saran Wrap during the song Grease Lightning ..... My mom who was ALWAYS a little too comfortable explaining things to me, informed me. No I didn't ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point and I agree. That is one more reason why (a) I'm not at all sure any of it happened, or (b) I question the qualifications of the speakers.

Saran wrap as prophylactic is another thing I've never heard of in the gay community.

The entire blog entry reeks of "See? We told you this would happen if you let the queers get married!"

Bingo Nova!

My 11 yr old is in 6th grade. They had the puberty talk with his class in 5th grade and this year is the sex ed talk that encompasses birth control, STD's etc..

Out of his entire class, only 3 parents signed permission slips for their children to take part in the sex ed class. I'm horrified at that number. I proudly say my son is one of the three taking it!

I don't know if they have gotten into foreplay, but they did talk about how not actual sex has to take place for a pregnancy to happen touching while naked can lead to pregnancy.
IF they do choose to teach about foreplay.. no biggie. If they choose NOT to.. no biggie there either, I figured it out without having to be taught lol.

Personally, I believe the schools should offer a class entitled How to Masturbate!

Maybe if girls were encouraged and taught how, they wouldn't be settling for 3 minutes with a pimply faced teen risking pregnancy and STD's. I was shocked to learn just how many grown adult married women have never had an orgasm.

http://equalitymatters.org/blog/201204060002

Meet Todd Starnes, Fox’s Mouthpiece For Anti-Gay Hate Groups
April 06, 2012 12:49 pm ET by Carlos Maza

"Fox News’ Todd Starnes has never shied away from aligning himself with some of the more extreme and fringe elements of right-wing politics. He’s flirted with “birtherism,” made inflammatory comments about Muslims and African-Americans, and accused the Obama administration of launching a war against Christianity.

Over the past few months, it appears that Starnes has taken up a new cause – using his position as a Fox News Radio reporter to give a voice to some of the country’s worst anti-gay hate groups

TIES TO THE FAMILY RESEARCH COUNCIL

Last December, Starnes appeared on the American Family Association’s (AFA) “Today’s Issues” radio show to promote his Fox News website, ***********.com. He was joined by Tony Perkins, president of the Southern Poverty Law Center-designated anti-gay “hate group” Family Research Council (FRC). During the segment, Starnes claimed that his website would act as a hub of “culture war stories” that would depict hate groups like FRC and AFA in a positive light:"

Much more...

I think it's very important to know exactly where the hate is coming from. Starnes is lowest of the low, IMO.

Here is a report of the incident from the Portland, Maine, NBC affiliate.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=220725

Apparently the actual presentation was just fine and it was during the question and answer session that the discussion "turned sexual in nature". It happened quickly and unexpectedly. Questions and Answers!!! The kids have things they want to know.

Big deal.

The Saran Wrap thing was huge in the 50's.

I recall watching Grease with my mother as a kid and John Travolta fiddles with Saran Wrap during the song Grease Lightning ..... My mom who was ALWAYS a little too comfortable explaining things to me, informed me. No I didn't ask.

I should have been clearer. I've heard of Saran Wrap (and dental dams) as sexual urban legends; I've just never found anyone who claimed to use either.

I should have been clearer. I've heard of Saran Wrap (and dental dams) as sexual urban legends; I've just never found anyone who claimed to use either.

I don't know anyone that claimed to either. Been thinking about it, Saran Wrap is pretty amazing stuff.... Bet it would work ;) lol. Duct tape is usually my go to trusted product, but in this instance .... Don't think so.

...Apparently the actual presentation was just fine and it was during the question and answer session that the discussion "turned sexual in nature". It happened quickly and unexpectedly. Questions and Answers!!! The kids have things they want to know.

Big deal.

WELL, NOW, DOESN'T THAT MAKE A LOT MORE SENSE!

I've been in the same position many times, albeit with college students, so my remarks didn't invite parental outrage or coverage by Fox News.

But I used to lecture at various universities (including some fundamentalist ones) and theaters in Southern California about gay culture and theater history.

Almost invariably, the Q&A would turn into a discussion of gay issues in general, because many of the students/guests had never spoken with an openly gay person before! The dilemma from the speaker's view is this: if you refuse to answer the question (or claim it is "off-topic"), you shame the student and give the impression that gay sex, culture, relationships, etc., are somehow "unspeakable".

So I usually went wherever their questions led me. Of course, they were 18 or 19 or older, not 11 or 12, so I didn't have to worry about my remarks being too sophisticated. But it is a dilemma if you are a speaker on a topic about which kids have great curiousity.

I don't know anyone that claimed to either. Been thinking about it, Saran Wrap is pretty amazing stuff.... Bet it would work ;) lol. Duct tape is usually my go to trusted product, but in this instance .... Don't think so.

Not to get too graphic, but unless you lubricate both sides VERY thoroughly, it wouldn't offer much sensation. And you might well end up with "plastic burns" in uncomfortable places.

As for its efficacy in preventing STDs or pregnancy, I have no idea. I wouldn't trust it.

As my husband's father told him, "For God's sake, spend a quarter!" (That was the sum total of the sex education my husband received in the 1950s.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
translator
Back